• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable - Official Announce Trailer

AJUMP23

Gold Member
It's basically the closest you could get to a Discworld rpg without actually having the Discworld license.

An open world Discworld game would be so cool though. Ankh Morpork alone would be one hell of a location.

There was a discworld adventure game on the PS1.

discworld-1-pc-box.jpg

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Ex-Star Citizen dev

Last edited:

anothertech

Want to be excited.

But got burned bad on the magnificent trio last gen, Phantom Dust, Scalebound and Fable

Will wait and see.

Bernkastel

"The Fable graphics engine will be an entirely custom-made engine, rather than a third-party commercial one like Unreal Engine 5."

We know this already.
Fable is supposed to use a proprietary engine
435a3c656709f3e2ccf0ba171fd49995fd0c68db.png

c3a7289752a758c00b628da945c7873d6317d60d.png

Concern

"The Fable graphics engine will be an entirely custom-made engine, rather than a third-party commercial one like Unreal Engine 5."

Interesting. I believe they always used UE for the fable games. I just hope it keeps its art style. It won't be Fable without it imo.

Kimahri

Banned
Interesting. I believe they always used UE for the fable games. I just hope it keeps its art style. It won't be Fable without it imo.
Pretty sure it was inhouse till The Journey. They used Unreal again on Fable Anniversary.

I agree with art style. It needs to retain that wimsy, slightly cartoony colorful arstetic. Music is also highly important. It's a pity it doesn’t look like Russel Shaw is involved. His music is maybe the one single most important thing for setting that Fable mood.

I hope they keep some of the themes at the very least.

Bernkastel

I have to say, every time I see this game pop up I think about the deer person working on it lol. Can’t say I have high expectations
That person has been working in the industry for over a decade and has a degree in architecture.
In a studio of almost 400 people, if you are looking at the identity of one person then you have got your identities wrong.

portuga

Neo Member

They are probably using the same engine of Forza / Forza Horizon / Flight Simulator for this. This engine is been updated to DX12U and the first release will be Flight Simulator for Series X|S

McCheese

That person has been working in the industry for over a decade and has a degree in architecture.
In a studio of almost 400 people, if you are looking at the identity of one person then you have got your identities wrong.

Their CV is pretty weak, no commercial experience and their examples are pretty poor, I've seen new graduates with much stronger examples of work.

But of course we don't know their potential, knowing architecture does give them some unique insight into things.

But then they could be making way more money if they stuck with architecture so my first interview question would be why did they pivot into level design.

My 2 cents

They are probably using the same engine of Forza / Forza Horizon / Flight Simulator for this. This engine is been updated to DX12U and the first release will be Flight Simulator for Series X|S
Looking at flight simulator surely this has to be the best engine for an open world game?

Bernkastel

Looking at flight simulator surely this has to be the best engine for an open world game?
Flight Simulator uses Asobo's in-house engine. Why do you people keep spreading this FUD without ant evidence?

McCheese

Forza horizon is open world, and has procedural weather, time of day, and data streaming. Seems like the obvious foundation to build an RPG engine from that. Flight simulator is a physics sim and really isn't trying to do stable 60fps gameplay.

Last edited:
Forza horizon is open world, and has procedural weather, time of day, and data streaming. Seems like the obvious foundation to build an RPG engine from that. Flight simulator is a physics sim and really isn't trying to do stable 60fps gameplay.
But can you build an actual game with the Forza engine? Car games are basically empty worlds with static objects driving on the surface of that world. It's extremely simple.

(I'm not dissing Forza btw, it's one of my favorite games)

Bernkastel

Its not about what types of games. There has been zero official communication regarding any connection between Forza and Flight Simulator engine. Asobo has even said that it uses their own in house engine.

Bernkastel

Wait, Fable is using the Forza engine now? Huh.
But can you build an actual game with the Forza engine? Car games are basically empty worlds with static objects driving on the surface of that world. It's extremely simple.

Familiarity. RAGE is made by Rockstar San Diego and is derived from the engine tech used in Midnight Club and Midtown Madness. Forza Horizon already has open world environments.

McCheese

Of course, racing games used to be launch titles as they are easy to do with a basic game engine. Most game engines start off as a racer as it's a good test of the streaming tech. Look at GTA, that's pretty much a game built on top of a racing engine, in development they would have done the vehicle stuff first and the slower on foot stuff second.

Last edited:

wolywood

Considering jumping into the Fable remake since it's on Game Pass and I never played the OG version. Does it hold up at all or is it basically unplayable now like the original Assassin's Creed?

EL BABE

Neo Member
Considering jumping into the Fable remake since it's on Game Pass and I never played the OG version. Does it hold up at all or is it basically unplayable now like the original Assassin's Creed?
I played it recently and it still holds quite good, I definately recomend it to you.

Top Bottom