• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fail & More Fail: GAF Tells REAL Stupid Owner Stories.

HUELEN10

Okay, I got an update on the situation. Just got back seeing Valkyrie with my dad at the Cinema, and you all should see it BTW, it kicks ass! Anywho, the husband gave me a call, and sometime in the afternoon tomorrow is when he is free and will bring the Wii over. Apparently there was a card sticking out, so he pulled with enough force and got 1 out, but the other 2 remain inside. I think the straw/canned air thing might work actually.

Regardless, pictures will obviously be available tomorrow. He has no problem with it as long as his family remains anonymous, which obviously will be the case.

I can't wait to see this fuck-up either, so let's hope for the best! (Or is it worse?)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Looks like your story made the front page of a certain forward moving Nintendo site.

HUELEN10

EatChildren said:
Looks like your story made the front page of a certain forward moving Nintendo site.
Now I see why it is banned. I haven't even posted the proof yet, and it is there on the front page. I love that site, and I love the owner, but sometimes I question the content he posts. I do send him tips from time to time, and I love that he is fast, but I can't say i agree with all his posting choices. regardless, I love the site, and I love what he does for Ninty fans everywhere. He has passion that I wish every blogger had.

HUELEN10 said:
Now I see why it is banned. I haven't even posted the proof yet, and it is there on the front page. I love that site, and I love the owner, but sometimes I question the content he posts. I do send him tips from time to time, and I love that he is fast, but I can't say i agree with all his posting choices. regardless, I love the site, and I love what he does for Ninty fans everywhere. He has passion that I wish every blogger had.

It isn't exactly rocket science to set up RSS feeds and most of his stories he gets are via RSS feeds.

HUELEN10

flamesofchaos said:
It isn't exactly rocket science to set up RSS feeds and most of his stories he gets are via RSS feeds.
Yes, but the speed at which he posts tips I like. I send a guy an email for something that just broke out that isn't on any like big site or blog yet with proof or source, and 3-5 minutes later, he posts it. great place to send a little scoop to.

AniHawk said:
One of the reasons I wanted to work at Gamestop were for all the stupid/mean customers that would provide good stories looking back.

One time this kid came to trade in his PS2. It worked, but it made this funny sound when you moved it, like there was sand inside. So I turned it over so the fan was facing the counter and gently shook the machine. About six dead cockroaches fell out along with even more assorted "pieces" of cockroaches (legs, wings, that sort of thing).
:lol There is no way in hell I can work in retail for this very reason. (Stupid customers that is)

HUELEN10

BishopLamont said:
:lol There is no way in hell I can work in retail for this very reason. (Stupid customers that is)
I know what you mean. I actually "worked" at a computer store that someone at synagog owned. They were a little short on a staff, so I helped out for like 3 days. Anywho, this guy comes in and asks if we have DDR RAM, and I told him yes. he pulls out a stick of RAM from his pocket in a ziploc bag. He says he brought the old one so he could get one just like it to double his RAM. I then told him that the good news was that we had a sale on RAM Double packs.

HUELEN10 said:
I know what you mean. I actually "worked" at a computer store that someone at synagog owned. They were a little short on a staff, so I helped out for like 3 days. Anywho, this guy comes in and asks if we have DDR RAM, and I told him yes. he pulls out a stick of RAM from his pocket in a ziploc bag. He says he brought the old one so he could get one just like it to double his RAM. I then told him that the good news was that we had a sale on RAM Double packs.
I don't get it. What was the problem? Did you think he wanted to trade? Maybe he just wanted to make sure he got the right model of RAM?

Thank you so much for this thread. You don't come across such good entertainment very often! :lol

AniHawk

BishopLamont said:

The worst thing was literally picking up vomit at Best Buy. Someone had thrown up into a Starbucks cup and it splattered all over the floor when the trash bag broke.

But... I don't do the retail thing anymore. After 3 years at Gamestop, I was being paid a quarter above minimum wage despite having been assistant management twice. I was also afraid of getting robbed at gunpoint (which happened about a month later on a shift I would have worked). I had also started working more at the place I'm now at, which pays more and is less stressful.

HUELEN10

LouieGeetoo said:
I don't get it. What was the problem? Did you think he wanted to trade? Maybe he just wanted to make sure he got the right model of RAM?

Thank you so much for this thread. You don't come across such good entertainment very often! :lol
The RAM was in a bag.......
A ZIPLOC BAG!

The ESD killed the thing. it never stood a chance. he wanted to buy 1 stick, and now he NEEDED 2!

HUELEN10

Andrex said:
:lol Wow, do you attract the dummy gallery or what?
Possibly, just look through my GAF posts. I just have the shittiest of luck. I am also that one guy who had 7-8 defective Wii units before my current good one. I have shit luck man!

God how I wish I could make this shit up! :lol

So my aunt gets my cousin (her son obviously) a Zune 8gb as one of his Christmas gifts.

Well, he has limited internets (DSL) and can only use either the internet on his computer or his xbox360, not both. So herein lies the problem.....

He signs on and tells me and my bro that his mom told him that he had to charge his zune through the internet.

I'll let that sink in.

....At first we thought he was joking...But then he started arguing with her while we were listening. She was ADAMANT that he could only charge his Zune through the power of the internets.

Now I've had a zune for over a year now and no matter what I said it did not convince her one bit. THE INTERNET!!! WHAT THE EFFF!!!!

We asked her where she heard this and she said she read it somewhere.....:lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HUELEN10 said:
Possibly, just look through my GAF posts. I just have the shittiest of luck. I am also that one guy who had 7-8 defective Wii units before my current good one. I have shit luck man!

God how I wish I could make this shit up! :lol

Well you do like Sonic Unleashed, so maybe it's karma? :D

I kid! :p

whitehawk

Banned
The On Timers said:
So my aunt gets my cousin (her son obviously) a Zune 8gb as one of his Christmas gifts.

Well, he has limited internets (DSL) and can only use either the internet on his computer or his xbox360, not both. So herein lies the problem.....

He signs on and tells me and my bro that his mom told him that he had to charge his zune through the internet.

I'll let that sink in.

....At first we thought he was joking...But then he started arguing with her while we were listening. She was ADAMANT that he could only charge his Zune through the power of the internets.

Now I've had a zune for over a year now and no matter what I said it did not convince her one bit. THE INTERNET!!! WHAT THE EFFF!!!!

:lol :lol

Imagine trying to power your 360 using the wifi adapter to get power wirelessly :lol

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
The On Timers said:

I'll let that sink in.

:lol :lol :lol
That is classic!!

TJ Spyke

The On Timers said:

Isn't that what everyone says when they say some ridiculous "fact" and can't show where they got it from? :lol

M3wThr33

Banned
I still remember the argument I got into in high school.

It was with my brother's middle school math teacher about RAM. I told him my PC was currently running with 96MB of RAM and he corrected me, saying it has to be powers of two.

I countered, saying each STICK needed to be, but you can have 3 32MB sticks in there.

He just kept on insisting all this shit and meanwhile, I know what my computer is running with and what Windows reports. I gave up and left. Idiot probably thinks I misquoted something to this day.

M3wThr33 said:
I still remember the argument I got into in high school.

It was with my brother's middle school math teacher about RAM. I told him my PC was currently running with 96MB of RAM and he corrected me, saying it has to be powers of two.

I countered, saying each STICK needed to be, but you can have 3 32MB sticks in there.

He just kept on insisting all this shit and meanwhile, I know what my computer is running with and what Windows reports. I gave up and left. Idiot probably thinks I misquoted something to this day.

Yea, My dad's computer came with 768mb for some odd reason. Ended up swapping the 256 with a 512.

Rikyfree

I've tried to place a RAM in a bag once, he hit me with his horns.... please don't take that seriously, given the current thread it resides in.

dakranii

Neo Member
Just following on this trend of people not understanding computers.

At my university, probably in 2000, I saw a posted ad on a bulletin board in the dorm selling a computer. All it said was "1996 Computer for sale, good condition" and it had tabs with the number to call on the bottom.

1996 computer, like it's a car or something. :)

HUELEN10

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Did you even test it or did your mind powers tell you?
I obviously tested it. These were zipper bags, and I thought the worse, and I found the worse....

After all, RAM is delicate, the bags were not in the best of shape, and ESD kills, bad!

dakranii

Neo Member
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
While not game related exclusively my friend while working as tech support at Circuit City one time had a person come in with a computer with a BROWNIE shoved in its DVD Drive.

444840469_eme5c-L.jpg

I'm sorry I ruined your life, and crammed 11 cookies into the VCR.

hc2

I knew of someone, not a personal friend, who told a co-worker that he was trying to find someone who would clean a PS3. He was asked if it was real dusty and if so, maybe try some compressed air/vacum cleaner.
He said dust was not the problem. While they were gone, their cat had apparently had some intestinal illness. One of the places the cat had left a liquid mess was on the font top surface of their PS3 and some had apparently leaked down the front and perhaps into the disk slot. He tried cleaning it and used a blank dvd several times. It came out with brown streaks each time and then was finally clean. But he was not sure on how to clean the rest out without voiding the warranty. As the PS3 warmed up, a distinct fishy odor would become apparent to one's olfactory senses. Plus the risk of a short circuit.
Which reminds me of a joke I heard a while back. A blind man walked past the fish market several times a week. As he walked past, he would turn and tip his hat while saying "How are you ladies doing today?".

HUELEN10

hc2 said:
I knew of someone, not a personal friend, who told a co-worker that he was trying to find someone who would clean a PS3. He was asked if it was real dusty and if so, maybe try some compressed air/vacum cleaner.
He said dust was not the problem. While they were gone, their cat had apparently had some intestinal illness. One of the places the cat had left a liquid mess was on the font top surface of their PS3 and some had apparently leaked down the front and perhaps into the disk slot. He tried cleaning it and used a blank dvd several times. It came out with brown streaks each time and then was finally clean. But he was not sure on how to clean the rest out without voiding the warranty. As the PS3 warmed up, a distinct fishy odor would become apparent to one's olfactory senses. Plus the risk of a short circuit.
Which reminds me of a joke I heard a while back. A blind man walked past the fish market several times a week. As he walked past, he would turn and tip his hat while saying "How are you ladies doing today?".
Damn that failcat! Sadly the dude seems screwed....

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I have two seperate friends that won't pony up for internet access, yet have 360s and love multiplayer games like Gears of War and Call of Duty. It vexes me greatly.

kodt

Banned
I don't work at GameStop but I have friends that do and heard many stories.

Here was a good one:

A lady comes in and wants to trade in a PS3. She insists that it is a 20GB system. The employee takes a look and sees the silver stripe and the card readers and tells her that it is a 60GB or an 80GB PS3 which means she would actually get more money for the trade in. She insists that it is a 20GB and that she is not a moron. The employee tells her that the 20GB models do not have the card reader slots but she wont believe him. Eventually she says "I have 3 Ph.D's what do you have?" and the employee lets her trade it in as a 20GB.

:lol:

Of course there are plenty of stories of people buying xbox games and wondering why they don't work on PS2 etc.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
We get it, you don't like HUELEN10.

That's enough now, thank you.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
:lol Ya, that's what I was trying to say. I get it seiken you don't like. Thank you.
No, I like you actually... but you shouldn't be so harsh to people ;/.

Seiken said:
No, I like you actually... but you shouldn't be so harsh to people ;/.

I dunno, I was just confused why he was so hung up on ESD. I've seen a lot worse and things have survived. I don't know how long ago that happened but things have become a lot more resistent to shock and besides it's an average person who doesn't collect anti static bags and just wanted to protect it. It's that unreasonable idea for them to put it in a bag so that they can be assisted better in the store. :/ Just seemed over the top making fun of the guy when it's an honest mistake that most people wouldn't know better. But enough with my rant.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Not game related, but:

One time me and my brother were helping fix someone's computer at his home office. At one point my brother told me to see if I could find a screwdriver, so I went over to the guy's daughters who happened to be nearby and asked them if they had a screwdriver somewhere in the house.

Them (totally seriously): What's a screwdriver?

I had no idea how to respond for a good while because I didn't think it was possible for people who were around 14-16 years old to have lived that long without knowing what a screwdriver was.

I've seen the roach thing in many a computer when I was fixing them for a living. It never got any less vile than the first time I saw it. Sheesh!

In school a kid stole a bunch of my friends games, then the next day came in and started to try and sell them.... even to the guy who had just had these EXACT games stolen after this guy had been at his house.

whitehawk

Banned
Akuun said:
Not game related, but:

One time me and my brother were helping fix someone's computer at his home office. At one point my brother told me to see if I could find a screwdriver, so I went over to the guy's daughters who happened to be nearby and asked them if they had a screwdriver somewhere in the house.

Them (totally seriously): What's a screwdriver?

I had no idea how to respond for a good while because I didn't think it was possible for people who were around 14-16 years old to have lived that long without knowing what a screwdriver was.
Ya, in grade ten history class, we were studying WW1, and the teacher mentioned tank. Than a girl said "whats a tank"?

Plus a friend of mine in grade 11 asked me how to spell 'drink'.

HUELEN10

BIG UPDATE!
Note: No pics for tonight sadly, all I had is my iPhone and I did not have my 30pin cable on me, therefore pics should be up at 7PM Eastern at the LATEST.

Anywho, the man came by my house today and I looked at the damage. As I said before, he managed to take one card out, so there were 2 in there and I could not see them. We try the eject thing, but to no avail. I put in the straw and blast canned air into the wii, and one of the cards pops up. I take a pair of pliers and pull it out firmly, yet not breaking or snapping anything. We do the same for the 2nd card, but sadly something goes wrong and we hear a snap. I hesitate, but manage to blast out the card with canned air. We didn't break anything, but it freaked me out. Anyways, the drive is fucked and reads no discs. he will probably call Ninty about it, but that is not in my control. It is taking advantage of it, but that is his problem, not mine.

Still, it wasn't THAT bad, but it was just plain retarded to even have to pull cards out in the first place. Thread ain't over yet, I feel lke posting a couple more stories in a bit, one of them 360 related.

In the meantime, here is a GREAT story, even if short.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13464688&postcount=438

My friend installed the NXE Dashboard update, installed all his games to HDD and he called me just now, happy as fuck:

"Thanks for telling me about how to get that update on my Xbox, I just went into GameStop and traded all of my games in after installing them, this is awesome!"

EDIT: My pops brought me my dock connector cable! pics coming up....

EDIT 2: And here we go!

537a312a.png

3c2d4b07.png

9b3370aa.png

78f207c9.png

d34104f4.png

yes, I know we worked on carpet. LOL more fail!

Top Bottom