• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fail & More Fail: GAF Tells REAL Stupid Owner Stories.

Beardz

AniHawk said:
I put the Wii disc in upside-down the first time I turned it on. I thought my Wii was a defective model for about 2 minutes.

Same thing happened to me... the worst thing was I called to the store to tell them about my "non working" wii, when they told me "The face of the disc is on the right side?" I realized my mistake, and the proceded to hang the phone without saying nothing... I was so angry with myself and very ashamed at the same time. >:'(

Jon

Alright, this story might not exactly apply to this thread, but I have to tell it anyway.

I work for the IT Staff for my school, not as a work-study, but a job I actually had to interview for. We have a small but tight-knit group. Then one day my boss tells us we have new employees, and it's now my job to train them while on the job.

Our first ticket is to register a lady for internet access, which is a simple enough process, but it inolves using the command prompt. When I told my new fellow employee to go into the command prompt, he didn't know what it was. Not a clue. Yet somehow, he had just gotten the job. Also, he thought installing Google Toolbar was an added bonus.

...Now to get more back on topic, I put in my Wii disc backwards upon first using it, so I can commiserate with those in the same boat!

Jon said:
Alright, this story might not exactly apply to this thread, but I have to tell it anyway. I work for the IT Staff for my school, not as a work-study, but a job I actually had to interview for.

Where the heck is the rest of the story?!

This story is full of fail indeed!

Jon

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Where the heck is the rest of the story?!

This story is full of fail indeed!

Haha sorry, I hit enter to add a line, but I must have ham-handedly clicked out the text box and submitted my post. I was hoping no one would catch me, but alas!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I don't understand people putting Wii discs in upside down. How small do you think the laser is that reads the disc? It's obvious that it can't be on the right side of the console. Shit, you can even see the feet of the console on the left side so it's obvious that's the bottom.

AniHawk

Beardz said:
Same thing happened to me... the worst thing was I called to the store to tell them about my "non working" wii, when they told me "The face of the disc is on the right side?" I realized my mistake, and the proceded to hang the phone without saying nothing... I was so angry with myself and very ashamed at the same time. >:'(

You could have at least thanked them.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Here's a good one from working tonight.

Dude calls up our GameStop wondering if he can return his 360 arcade because he was told he can't play XBOX Live on the thing.

"No, sir, you can play online through Live through the 360."

"Oh, well what do I need?"

"All you need to do is hook up your 360 to your modem with an ethernet cable or use a wifi adapter if you have a wireless router."

"Wait, modem? You mean the internet? You need the internet?"

That's right, apparently the dude wanted to play online through Xbox Live and never realized he needed an internet connection to do so.

He even asked if we sold modems, like we could hook him up with internet access. :lol

Beardz

Fuzzy said:
I don't understand people putting Wii discs in upside down. How small do you think the laser is that reads the disc? It's obvious that it can't be on the right side of the console. Shit, you can even see the feet of the console on the left side so it's obvious that's the bottom.

I know! thats why I was so fucking mad with myself! Im a geek with this kind of things, the worst part is my wii is collecting dust, all my shame was in vain...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ZealousD said:

Dude calls up our GameStop wondering if he can return his 360 arcade because he was told he can't play XBOX Live on the thing.

"All you need to do is hook up your 360 to your modem with an ethernet cable or use a wifi adapter if you have a wireless router."

That's right, apparently the dude wanted to play online through Xbox Live and never realized he needed an internet connection to do so.

He even asked if we sold modems, like we could hook him up with internet access. :lol

:lol

:lol

Jswanko

Beardz said:
I know! thats why I was so fucking mad with myself! Im a geek with this kind of things, the worst part is my wii is collecting dust, all my shame was in vain...

yeah, i find myself playing my wii so rarely that at least occasionally i put in the disc wrong. I scared myself once because i did a case mod on my wii and thought id broken it.

Chao

ZealousD said:

theinternet.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm thinking the irrationality that comes with new-console-excitement is the only reason you people put the disk in the wrong way, because seriously, how do you manage that?

That's like putting a disk upside down in your computer's DVD drive tray. It doesn't make sense!

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
EatChildren said:
I'm thinking the irrationality that comes with new-console-excitement is the only reason you people put the disk in the wrong way, because seriously, how do you manage that?

That's like putting a disk upside down in your computer's DVD drive tray. It doesn't make sense!
I can kind of understand it if the Wii is vertical, but not at all if it is horizontal. My friend and I were wondering when SSBB wouldn't load on his Wii. His was vertical and he put it in the wrong way, took about 2 minutes to realize this.

AniHawk

Fuzzy said:
And I already explained that you guys suck for doing that. :D
The way it's set up in my room, there was no way to see the "feet" on the machine, since the only place for it hid that part of the machine.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
AniHawk said:
The way it's set up in my room, there was no way to see the "feet" on the machine, since the only place for it hid that part of the machine.
wii_396x320.jpg

Like I said, how could anyone think the laser could fit on the right side of the slot?

Ledsen

Fuzzy said:
wii_396x320.jpg

Like I said, how could anyone think the laser could fit on the right side of the slot?

How could anyone start thinking about laser positioning when they just want to put a disc in their Wii? wtf man

if this shit is real, that woman should have died sometime growing up, that kind of stupidity doesn't usually happen overnight.

Sandman7

Two stories:

The first is tech-related - a friend of mine heard a few months ago that there was a virus spreading to all mobile phones. I tried to explain that it couldnt be ALL mobile phones as Java-based phones could not get viruses (I dont know if I am correct about this one but feel free to laugh I am wrong).

He said no it was an actual virus that would generate a call from a specific number and if you picked it up, you would die. Cue dead silence from my end for the next few minutes before turning around and walking away.

The next story is funny for so many different reasons but isnt really tech related. I once attended a meeting at school and after it ended, I hear a conversation that went something like this:

'Hey, do you know what my home number is?'

'Yes, but how the fuck do you not know your own home number?!'

'Well I never had to call it before today.'

If this wasnt bad enough, the meeting we had just walked out of was a MENSA meeting and this guy had (apparently) an IQ higher than 98% of the population.

HUELEN10 said:
BIG UPDATE!
Note: No pics for tonight sadly, all I had is my iPhone and I did not have my 30pin cable on me, therefore pics should be up at 7PM Eastern at the LATEST.

Anywho, the man came by my house today and I looked at the damage. As I said before, he managed to take one card out, so there were 2 in there and I could not see them. We try the eject thing, but to no avail. I put in the straw and blast canned air into the wii, and one of the cards pops up. I take a pair of pliers and pull it out firmly, yet not breaking or snapping anything. We do the same for the 2nd card, but sadly something goes wrong and we hear a snap. I hesitate, but manage to blast out the card with canned air. We didn't break anything, but it freaked me out. Anyways, the drive is fucked and reads no discs. he will probably call Ninty about it, but that is not in my control. It is taking advantage of it, but that is his problem, not mine.

Still, it wasn't THAT bad, but it was just plain retarded to even have to pull cards out in the first place. Thread ain't over yet, I feel lke posting a couple more stories in a bit, one of them 360 related.

In the meantime, here is a GREAT story, even if short.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13464688&postcount=438

EDIT: My pops brought me my dock connector cable! pics coming up....

I thought it was 7pm Eastern THE LATEST? This thread is full of fail alright...

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
He really painted himself into a corner with all the 'updates,' should've just told his tale and ignored anyone calling him on it. or the wii sparked and burned his house down revealing buried pirate gold under the cellar

bengraven

Another non-game, but technology based story:

My step-mom's neighbor back in 1996 was the first person on the block to have the internet in our small town. She was a single mom of three who received her computer from welfare (due to starting college for nursing) and had zero knowledge of how it worked. She literally had the person who installed the computer have to teach her to turn it on.

Que myself, 16 years old, coming over to help her with her PC, showing her things.

She lets me be by myself and do what I want online, and what I want is to troll chat lines. I cause a lot of ruckus and end up getting banned from a chat line.

Laughing, I tell her I got banned and go back home for a sandwich. The next day she calls my stepmother screaming and saying I owe her $2000 for a new PC and that I'm a horrible little shit.

She says that she can't start her PC today because my ban from Alamak was locking her out of her computer. A chat line ban killed her computer.

HUELEN10

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I said should. Anywho, the pics are up. I know you hate me, but I was prepared to not cornering myself in by saying "will". :lol Anyways, I got a converter box with my dad, so I was out for a bit. The internet being down for a while beforehand didn't help either.
Adol said:
He really painted himself into a corner with all the 'updates,' should've just told his tale and ignored anyone calling him on it. or the wii sparked and burned his house down revealing buried pirate gold under the cellar
Nah, no "tall tales" for me. If any of the stuff I post in this thread isn't witnessed by me, I will state so, and that I heard this, but this was stupidity first hand. Another policy of mine is if I say something, I want to follow through. You got your story, you got your pics, that's all I can say and I can't say no more! :D
bengraven said:
Another non-game, but technology based story:

My step-mom's neighbor back in 1996 was the first person on the block to have the internet in our small town. She was a single mom of three who received her computer from welfare (due to starting college for nursing) and had zero knowledge of how it worked. She literally had the person who installed the computer have to teach her to turn it on.

Que myself, 16 years old, coming over to help her with her PC, showing her things.

She lets me be by myself and do what I want online, and what I want is to troll chat lines. I cause a lot of ruckus and end up getting banned from a chat line.

Laughing, I tell her I got banned and go back home for a sandwich. The next day she calls my stepmother screaming and saying I owe her $2000 for a new PC and that I'm a horrible little shit.

She says that she can't start her PC today because my ban from Alamak was locking her out of her computer. A chat line ban killed her computer.
Wow, well I hope you dealt with that as wisely as possible man, ouch!

HUELEN10 said:
I said should. Anywho, the pics are up. I know you hate me, but I was prepared to not cornering myself in by saying "will". :lol Anyways, I got a converter box with my dad, so I was out for a bit. The internet being down for a while beforehand didn't help either.

Nah, no "tall tales" for me. If any of the stuff I post in this thread isn't witnessed by me, I will state so, and that I heard this, but this was stupidity first hand. Another policy of mine is if I say something, I want to follow through. You got your story, you got your pics, that's all I can say and I can't say no more! :D

Wow, well I hope you dealt with that as wisely as possible man, ouch!

Ya, we know you take the highroad, you would never lie tell a lie. Those are pretty underwhelming picutres. Why wouldn't you take it looking into the drive so you could see the cards in it? And you bolded it and made it all caps because it was soft time you didn't expect to meet. *rolls eyes* Pretty underwhelming thread.

HUELEN10

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, we know you take the highroad, you would never lie tell a lie. Those are pretty underwhelming picutres. Why wouldn't you take it looking into the drive so you could see the cards in it? And you bolded it and made it all caps because it was soft time you didn't expect to meet. *rolls eyes* Pretty underwhelming thread.
Look bub, I don't deliver threads "for you", and if you don't like it or don't believe it, that is just fine as no one is forcing you to. Stop making me look arrogant, please. As in Sp0rks' thread which can be found below, I dare not insult you, but I will counter your argument. This thread is not my thread, but the community's thread to share the tales of this subject on. Everyone is responsible for what they post, and it is up to them to be accurate. I can say that I personally did my part, and if you do not like that, and you choose not to belive what I have posted, then that is okay. The only thing I ask is that you not be selfish in appearance about it by being disappointed, or feeling that this thread is a disappointment. You are nothing special, you are a member like everyone else who is expected to participate in our community which is the reason we are here in the first place. Again if you have something to pick with me, say it, but don't make slander of my posts, and don't troll or derail my threads. As for me, don't say i take the highroad, don't call me saint, don't call me someone full of BS. Call me what I am, a NeoGAF member just like you, and nothing more.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159418
With that being said, let this thread go back on topic.

HUELEN10 said:
Look bub, I don't deliver threads "for you", and if you don't like it or don't believe it, that is just fine as no one is forcing you to. Stop making me look arrogant, please. As in Sp0rks' thread which can be found below, I dare not insult you, but I will counter your argument. This thread is not my thread, but the community's thread to share the tales of this subject on. Everyone is responsible for what they post, and it is up to them to be accurate. I can say that I personally did my part, and if you do not like that, and you choose not to belive what I have posted, then that is okay. The only thing I ask is that you not be selfish in appearance about it by being disappointed, or feeling that this thread is a disappointment. You are nothing special, you are a member like everyone else who is expected to participate in our community which is the reason we are here in the first place. Again if you have something to pick with me, say it, but don't make slander of my posts, and don't troll or derail my threads. As for me, don't say i take the highroad, don't call me saint, don't call me someone full of BS. Call me what I am, a NeoGAF member just like you, and nothing more.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159418
With that being said, let this thread go back on topic.

Ya that's why you backseat mod by quoting other threads and feel the need to say what an awful poster I am? :lol If you're fine that I don't believe you then let it go, you keep complaining instead. Get off your high horse. :lol

HUELEN10

Adam Prime said:
UNREAL. :lol
But it was real, or so the poster says. he follows up and stated that he didn't have the heart to tell his friend. I wonder what DID happen.

You know, maybe I should PM the guy to post a detailed version of that story here!

Jaroof

Jive Turkey said:
One could suggest you do the same. And while you're at it...SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY.

:D
Thanks, I was gonna post something like this, but couldn't find the right way to put it.
You nailed it!

I have a friend who is notorious for treating his video game stuff like shit and being oblivious to it. For example, he never takes discs out of his console when he disconnects it and travels with it then wonders why all his discs are scratched to hell. All of his 360 games have scratches all over them and are covered with fingerprints. Even Call of Duty: World at War, which he's had for less than a month, looks like it's been through a war itself. I eventually had to ban him from touching any of my discs because I'd always find fingerprints on them afterwards.

Anyways, he came over to hang out and brought his Xbox 360 over, like he usually does on the weekends. He hooked it up and then went outside to smoke. While he was gone, we noticed he hooked it up UPSIDE DOWN and laughed like crazy. When he came back in, we told him and this is exactly what he said: "Eh, whatever, it won't hurt anything." All he did was play arcade games while he played World of Warcraft all night, but that console was on for about six-to-seven straight hours upside down. The next day, his console red-ringed when he turned it on. Of course, he ranted about how Microsoft sucks instead of blaming himself for leaving it on for a long period of time upside down. It really made me wonder of how many red-rings were caused by straight up negligence like this. I had a console red-ring on me that was a refurb from Microsoft in exchange for a console that scratched discs (which was also a refurb for the original, retail console I bought, whose disc drive just died, but didn't harm my discs). But it took about 10 months for that thing to red-ring. My buddy only had his console for about 3 or 4 months.

Another funny story involving the same guy: The day Fallout 3 came out, he picked it up. When he got back, the game was giving him disc-read errors everytime he tried to save. Instead of researching the issue, he thought the disc was messed up, despite the disc being brand new, spotless, and scratchless. Since he bought the warranty on it, he took it back and replaced it. He got home, popped it in, and got the same problems. He called up the 1-800-4-MY-XBOX line and asked what was going on. He explained the problem and they told him to clear his HDD's cache. He did and the problem disappeared. About thirty minutes later, he accidentally tripped over his controller cord, which pulled his 360 down from the vertical position. Of course, this totally mangled the disc, so he went back to exchange it. When he tried to turn his car on, he discovered his transmission completely went out. So he did the 10-minute drive back in his Dad's piece of shit truck. When he got there at about 8:15, he discovered his GameStop is one of the rare ones that closes at 8:00pm (probably because it's in a moderate-crime part of town). That story is about half dumb/half bad luck.

Even another one that I just remembered typing this shit out. We did a Halo 1 LAN at my place one night. He had his monster gaming rig computer over at my house because he had no Internet at his house and he was/is addicted to World of Warcraft. But he played Halo with us, so his computer was off. While we played, we needed an outlet took hook up another Xbox, so we disconnected his computer from the surge protector. When we were done, he hooked his computer back up. DIRECTLY INTO THE WALL OUTLET. Within about an hour, me and my friend noticed something in the room seriously smelled like it was on fire, while Mr. World of Warcraft obviously didn't notice anything. I was pretty convinced it was the computer when I saw it hooked up directly into the wall and told him he needed to shut it off. Instead of that, he wanted to wait until his Warsong Gulch battleground was over, to which I started screaming about how insane he is and how he could seriously fry his shit if he didn't turn it off now. He still played for about 5 more minutes before realizing that he seriously needed to turn it off. We took it out of the wall, hooked it up to the surge protector, and nothing would turn on. I told him he probably fried everything in there. Turns out, all he did was fry his power supply. Everything else remained perfectly in tact. Once he got a new PSU, everything worked again. Luckiest guy alive, he is.

But I can't escape without talking about probably the only really stupid thing I've ever done. Back in 1994, I bought a Sega 32X a little after launch. I know some of you will say that is stupid enough, but there's more. I also had a CDX, one of those combined Genesis/CD consoles. Once again, should be the end of the story, but it isn't. So I unpack the 32X and find this metal plate with the middle cut out that is clearly fitted for the 32X to go through it. I still looked in the manual for what it was. This was the wording of the manual: "If you do not own a Model 2.0 Sega Genesis console, you will need this connector plate to properly attach your 32X console." Of course, I didn't own that, so I clearly needed this plate, right? Well, I tried literally all weekend to hook this bitch up with the plate and it just wouldn't work. I was at the point where I was about to call Sega's phone support. It wasn't until two full days had passed that I finally just said fuck it and tried to hook it up without the plate. And what do you know? IT WORKED. It seems whoever wrote the manual wasn't aware the CDX existed because it should have been worded to say that if you have an original model Sega Genesis, you need the plate. Sure, the manual should have been better written, but I still felt like a fucking jackass for not even just trying it without the plate until almost three days later.

HUELEN10

AnEternalEnigma said:
Back in 1994, I bought a Sega 32X a little after launch. I know some of you will say that is stupid enough, but there's more. I also had a CDX, one of those combined Genesis/CD consoles. Once again, should be the end of the story, but it isn't. So I unpack the 32X and find this metal plate with the middle cut out that is clearly fitted for the 32X to go through it. I still looked in the manual for what it was. This was the wording of the manual: "If you do not own a Model 2.0 Sega Genesis console, you will need this connector plate to properly attach your 32X console." Of course, I didn't own that, so I clearly needed this plate, right? Well, I tried literally all weekend to hook this bitch up with the plate and it just wouldn't work. I was at the point where I was about to call Sega's phone support. It wasn't until two full days had passed that I finally just said fuck it and tried to hook it up without the plate. And what do you know? IT WORKED. It seems whoever wrote the manual wasn't aware the CDX existed because it should have been worded to say that if you have an original model Sega Genesis, you need the plate. Sure, the manual should have been better written, but I still felt like a fucking jackass for not even just trying it without the plate until almost three days later.
Wait a minute! You can hook up a 32x to a CDX?!?!?!?!?
I thought that was only a myth!

Tntnnbltn

AnEternalEnigma said:
While we played, we needed an outlet took hook up another Xbox, so we disconnected his computer from the surge protector. When we were done, he hooked his computer back up. DIRECTLY INTO THE WALL OUTLET. Within about an hour, me and my friend noticed something in the room seriously smelled like it was on fire
I'm confused. Since when can you not plug things directly into the wall?

HUELEN10 said:
Wait a minute! You can hook up a 32x to a CDX?!?!?!?!?
I thought that was only a myth!

Yep, you can. The only issue is that the 32X is so heavy and the CDX is so light that it'll actually pull the CDX off the surface it's set on. I had to put a paperweight on top of the CDX to keep it from tilting upward. I think the Angry Game Nerd mentioned this too in his 32X rant.

HUELEN10

AnEternalEnigma said:
Yep, you can. The only issue is that the 32X is so heavy that it'll actually pull the CDX off the surface it's set on. I had to put a paperweight on top of the CDX to keep it from tilting upward. I think the Angry Game Nerd mentioned this too in his 32X rant.
Interesting. Now I would be motivated to buy a combo console like this for ALL the classic Sonic games including Chaotix and Sonic CD!

HUELEN10 said:
Interesting. Now I would be motivated to buy a combo console like this for ALL the classic Sonic games including Chaotix and Sonic CD!

It is pretty convenient once it's all hooked up, despite the ugly mess it is. If only Sega had released the Neptune...

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Quit your bitching already, jesus christ.

Alts

Tntnnbltn said:
I'm confused. Since when can you not plug things directly into the wall?

Maybe he lives in a country with a voltage that isn't supported by the Xbox? I don't understand it much either.

vegee

Banned
I don't have any GREAT stories to share, but my (ex)friend who used to work at Gamestop would always complain about stupid customers who would come into the store and completely butcher game names. "Yo, do you have that Grand Auto Theft?", "Hey man, do you have that Metal Solid Gear 2: Liberty Sons?" My favorite one was when a mom came in asking if they had that bandaid game. My friend was like "Uh...can you describe it?" She then goes on to say: "Well, I know that there are bandaids in it...and you crash them into each other?" After a few more minutes, my friend managed to deduce that she wanted a Crash Bandicoot game. Good grief.

OP's story kind of reminds me of when I try and explain to my grandma how to use digital cable. We've been experimenting with the Guide button for the last four years. I think she's starting to make real progress.

M3wThr33

Banned
Also, my ex somehow blamed me for breaking her computer. Something in her mind associated bad RAM with me installing Winamp. Like... it corrupted the memory. Yeah, she never let me near her computer after that.

I'm serious. She got a laptop eventually and would tell me not to touch it when she left the room. Every god damn time. She was afraid I'd change her home page in the browser or delete important shit. How do people live in fear like that, all the time?

Those were actually the last words I ever said to her. "You never trusted me on your computer."

Five years. I'm a computer programmer. That's how it ends. Corny as hell.

HUELEN10

M3wThr33 said:
Also, my ex somehow blamed me for breaking her computer. Something in her mind associated bad RAM with me installing Winamp. Like... it corrupted the memory. Yeah, she never let me near her computer after that.

I'm serious. She got a laptop eventually and would tell me not to touch it when she left the room. Every god damn time. She was afraid I'd change her home page in the browser or delete important shit. How do people live in fear like that, all the time?

Those were actually the last words I ever said to her. "You never trusted me on your computer."

Five years. I'm a computer programmer. That's how it ends. Corny as hell.
Well the important thing is that you came out on top. Living in fear like that, what was she thinking?

Top Bottom