• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veitsev

So far for me

Great

- Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis
- Parasyte (Might be the AOTS)
- Chaika? Yes. Chaika. Chaika

Good

- Database Database wow wow wow
- Amagi Brilliant Park

Average (might be good, I'll give it a few more episodes)

- Akatsuki no Yona
- Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de

Dropped/Not Impressed

- Trinity Seven
- I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying
- The Fruit of Grisasia

phaze

I will attack you with crude, makeshift weapons.

But it's the truth. :( Well she's okay when she doesn't raise her voice.

Parasyte 01

Good premiere, boobgrab and baka part excluded. Though I must say it felt more like comedy than horror so far. Those alien designs are hilarious.

Parasyte 01

Really impressed by how fluid all the animation was. Also impressed that the monster designs look just as gruesome as they should be. That brostep tho =/

GLASSLIP 12
glasslip-episode-12-2.jpg

You didn't need this episode Glasslip!!! It wasn't needed. I was so lost the entire episode and it didn't really bother to explain what was going or why it was needed in the context of the story. This episode was dumb. Probably just an excuse to use fireworks again and see the pretty animation. Well we're almost done. Let's finish this.

Detective Conan 316-317:
Takagi fanboying over the wrestlers was so goofy, but it fits him so well. This was a pretty standard mystery, but the setting was pretty different compared to other Conan settings, so it did stand out a little bit. There were also some nice character moments for Conan early on when he's contemplating the nature of double identities. Not one of my favorites, but a pretty enjoyable use of forty minutes or so of time. I loved how Conan just got frustrated with Kogorou not getting his hint and knocked him out earlier than he was planning to.

Clov

Just watched Parasyte 01. It was great! The designs were really gross looking, and the way they transformed was fantastic. I have to say, I was skeptical about Aya Hirano voicing Migi, but she really nailed it. It's a really creepy performance that I'm not used to hearing from her, but she makes it work; you can really feel that lack of empathy. Only complaint about the episode is the random dubstep. That really didn't suit the atmosphere the show was going for. Looking forward to the next episode.

Phatmac

Can someone explain why the music is so inconsistent? Get John Carpenter or someone who knows sci-fi music and put them on this show. Fucking horrible dubstep OP and more awful dubstep during the fight. It's a shame since everything else was pretty good. Boobgrab aside I think the this was a good pilot. I'll stick with it.

cajunator

Banned
Just watched Parasyte 01. It was great! The designs were really gross looking, and the way they transformed was fantastic. I have to say, I was skeptical about Aya Hirano voicing Migi, but she really nailed it. It's a really creepy performance that I'm not used to hearing from her, but she makes it work; you can really feel that lack of empathy. Only complaint about the episode is the random dubstep. That really didn't suit the atmosphere the show was going for. Looking forward to the next episode.

The dubstep is awful. Migi's voice reminds me of Kyubey in a really chilling way and I think thats perfect.

Daitoshokan 1
Cute show. Feels strong with cliche but this secret Shepherd thing along with his future sight reminds me of the Flag show earlier this year.

Clov

The dubstep is awful. Migi's voice reminds me of Kyubey in a really chilling way and I think thats perfect.

It sort of is; though with Kyubey, it sounded a bit friendlier. What I think led to the initial suspicion of Kyubey was its friendly voice but unchanging expression. To me, Migi sounds more "alien" in a way.

Jex

[Gundam Build Fighters Try] - 1

gundatryw7jj7.png

Funny, this is how I get all my friends to watch anime!

I actually enjoyed this opening considerably. It was highly entertaining and the fun and whimsy from the original was present. Wahoo! Try to remember this positivity because I'm going to engage in some criticism which some of you may consider to be nitpicking but I only do this because I turly love GBF.

When most people think of GBF the first thing that probably comes to mind is really well animated, well choreographed and exciting fight sequences. However, the original show couldn't have survived on the back of those two ideas alone. It could have simply been a beautiful but hollow marketing exercise in the guise of a TV show. What's worse, it would be a kids TV show! Yet that didn't happen.

Through the grace of decent writing and direction, the core cast of GBF were all extremely likeable and the show celebrated Gundam while still poking fun at it. It featured two leads who actually featured their own distinct arcs and roles ensuring neither of them were redundant. It was even pretty funny!

Now, it's too early to say anything substantial about the quality of the script or scenarios in Try but there a few things that I'm not wild about. First and foremost, the original series was extremely confident and sharp in terms of it's writing, editing and direction. It trusted it's audience to keep up with what was going on and it didn't meander and waste your time. This first episode of Try feels just a tad too slow for my liking, especially with regards to 'How Gunpla Battle Works' sequence which was handled more deftly in the original. This isn't a major indictment of the show, I just wish it was as quick and punchy as the original show.

In addition, I wasn't too fond of the amount of time we spent in school doing school stuff. I know, I know, we're one episode into the show so it's too early to complain about that but the whole "we must save our club" thing is a little overplayed. The original series had a battle-tournament structure but within that structure still found room to be unconventional and creative every episode. You never knew what you were getting. I hope they can keep that freshness up here as well.

In addition, as the workshop and the battlestation are in school I imagine we'll be spending more time here than last season, where Sei's shop served as a base of operations. Basically, I don't want to spend too much time "in anime highschool". Of course, that might not happen and as soon as the introductions are out of the way it might get as varied as the original.

I'm still not in love with the character designs. This episode didn't have particularly good character animation anyway, but Fumina just looked kind of awkward. Sekai looks like a rough draft of Rei, the kind that the designer came up with before he settled on a final design. Blue haired dude is blue haired dude from every anime. Ehhh.

The characterisation, however, seems fine. Sekai does seem a little too much like Rei, except without the quirkiness, but we'll see the dynamics play out as the show progresses. I really won't even attempt to speak to them yet. Except to say that this kind of scene:

gundamwhoops7auuj.png
]

is something I really don't want to see. One of my favourite parts of the original was seeing all the (obvious) romances play out in their own unique and fun ways. People falling on each other isn't fun, it's lazy and stupid. I can only hope there's no terrible love triangle business.

While the climatic battle sequence was extremely, extremely cool and exciting I don't like seeing super powers in the very first episode of the show. The original series escalated slowly over the course of the series until we hit the point where every fight ended with that God damn knuckle so to see them skip straight to the finisher makes me concerned. I imagine that the team aspect of the battle will actually change the dynamics of combat significantly so that we don't end up with that problem, but we'll have to see. Basically, my favourite kind of combat is ground-based mecha combat. My favourite battle in any Gundam is the street level fight in 08th MS Team and the best battle in the original series was Meijin vs the Snipers. Both of these battles are grounded and feature fairly down to earth weaponry. Hopefully there'll still be a place for this kind of tense, tactical combat in this series because super powers get boring quickly.

Anyway, I remain extremely hopefully for the series and this first episode was far better than I expected. I just hope that the show becomes as confident and unusual as it's predecessor.

GLASSLIP 13 [END]

This show deserved a better story. Everything else was pretty well done. I liked the characters, the animation was good and the music was the right amount of melancholy. The story failed at every turn. It couldn't be bothered to have an ending they could explain. This is a show that I looked forward to two seasons ago and I can readily say that, despite some great highs with animation and music, the story just utterly fails in every regard. These production values should've gone to a better story. Even though I liked the main characters. So disappointed.

Watch the first episode if you want to see pretty animation but after that it's just better to drop the show altogether. It goes nowhere.

Jex

I don't think its even need to be mentioned, its not fanservice and indeed played as offensive act.

It's stupid, it's "anime" and it serves no purpose. You wouldn't expect to see tit grabbing in a Western TV show, or movie, and I don't need to see it here.

mankoto

Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle 1
Right back where we left off give or take a small skip. The fact that the transformation was only "halfway," makes me wonder if it's possible for it to be reversed or just prevented.

Parasyte 1

Well, very solid first episode. Intriguing premise, a good ambivalence with the alien hand (he saved the kid and he seeks cooperation, but he really wanted to absorb his brain and didn't have empathy for a fellow alien), some funny scenes, some body horror, some development in the character, and good animation that sells you on the co-protagonist, the hand.
The music in the opening horrible. Thanks god it was only the opening which can be skipped... that was I thought at first, then the modern music attacked again in the end part, agh!
I didn't care for the boob grab, context is everything, and unlike 99% of other anime where it would be a stupid moment, here there is a reason supported by the plot.
There were nice new moments well integrated in the story, like the hand using the smartphone alone and the dad reading the news on a tablet. Let's remember the original manga was done in 1990.

Ah, and not fucking censuring yeah! Eat that Tokyo Ghoul, JoJo, Terraformars and others.

As I predicted, it seems it can be one of the best of the year.

Parasyte 01 -

Migi is actually kind of adorable! Having already read part of the manga I wasn't surprised by the progression of events here but I thought it was interesting that they decided to mix up the way they showed various parts of the parasite's "origin" with respect to invading our MC. Not a hugely significant change of course. I suppose the bigger one with respect to changes made from the manga would be the design for the MC, but given the OP I'm assuming they'll be going to something resembling the original when the two become more accustomed to each other, it's not a very subtle way I suppose of representing the shift that we'll be seeing later on but I guess it'll get the point across much faster. All and all, it's a show that I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of.

Baby Steps 9:
Heated rivals to people who don't even know who they are is always a pretty funny moment, and this episode played it just about right. I really enjoyed those differing thoughts between the two characters. The tension is definitely real, and it was tough for a few minutes to watch Ei-chan struggling so much with it. I was happy to see him refocus (with some prescient note advice from Natsu) and figure out how to win. Next episode seems like it should be good with him coming up against a talented player.

CorvoSol

Gundam Build Fighters TRY 1

The sheer number of G Gundam references. I'm dying over here, guys. This is gonna be the season to be Corvo. I got fucking Tomino Gundam for to laugh at the impossible way characters will behave and the wacky Tominophysics going down. I got another season of Build Fighters for beautiful, wonderful, glorious, delicious, perfectly outrageous custom mecha and just some good fun.

Oh and I guess I have Cross Ange to fulfill my need to hate modern mecha.

360pages

It's stupid, it's "anime" and it serves no purpose. You wouldn't expect to see tit grabbing in a Western TV show, or movie, and I don't need to see it here.

To be fair Western TV shows have their own share of problems that is different from Anime. Really, trying to compare the two isn't fair to either.

cajunator

Banned
Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle 1
Right back where we left off give or take a small skip. The fact that the transformation was only "halfway," makes me wonder if it's possible for it to be reversed or just prevented.

Yeah I was wondering too. Thats a detail that wouldnt really be mentioned if there wasnt something more to it.

Moyashimon 03

It's... spit.

We learn 2 methods for making sake, a new neat freak character is introduced and she ruins the money making scheme, the professor's plans gets revealed and it involves... terraforming and we get to know what the second strongest smelling fermented food in the world is. The strongest smelling is surströmming isn't it?

Jex

GBF TRY 01
Ugh, I can already tell I'm not going to enjoy this season as much as the first. MC comes off as the atypical genki girl that so many female MCs in anime end of being. They couldn't even wait one episode before they made it obvious her and Reiji2 are going to be a couple by the end of it by going for the tropey "Ahh I fell on you and now we're both blushing!" Oh look Reiji2 just did at least 4 asspulls on his very first battle. Oh look Yuuma is the cold blue haired rival character!

Gundam designs shown thus far are pretty damn lackluster as well.

Overall a complete misfire of a first episode compared the the first season. Sadly I don't think this will improve much based on the preview. How can both gundam shows this season be so god damn bad?

First you bring Sabre, now this. What will you do next!?!

Chaika - Avenging Battle - 01

Just another solid Chaika episode.

Parasite - 01

For the largest part excellent but just a few small stains that just really needn't be there.

The animation is absolutely fantastic, especially considering that this kind of flesh-splicing and transforming into weird shapes isn't something easily referenced. Doubly so when it isn't just the surface skin but at times also the flesh etc.

Writing and overall direction seemed great too so far and I'm quite happy with the added modernization. Knowing that the manga is from 1990 I was slightly confused seeing the MCs PC setup and Smartphone/Tablets later on. But I appreciate translating it to modern times as long as that doesn't impair any important plot points.

Unfortunately the boobgrab is an annoyance simply because it exists within the larger anime context. Sure, for this particular situation it may have been slightly justified, but it's still a pathetic anime trope.

However that's something that won't really matter in the long run, which I'm afraid I won't be able to say for the dubstep. Just what the fuck?!? I wish I could say it somehow actually fit these scenes and makes this episode almost a flawless experience but alas, it didn't. For a second or two I was seriously wondering if I had some video playing on the side because it felt so absurdly random and out of place.

edit:
Another aspect I really liked was the short-cut first "fight". While I'm certainly looking forward to some wonderfully choreographed and bizarre fighting sequences (considering what might be possible with these alien 'transformations') I certain do not want some shonen-battles to screw up the overall tone and pacing of the show.

Moyashimon 03

It's... spit.

We learn 2 methods for making sake, a new neat freak character is introduced and she ruins the money making scheme, the professor's plans gets revealed and it involves... terraforming and we get to know what the second strongest smelling fermented food in the world is. The strongest smelling is surströmming isn't it?

I believe it is!

Pocket Monsters Diamond and Pearl 190:
Nope, I'm not ready for this to end. All the talk in this episode about partings made me feel sad, and then that next episode preview just destroyed me. Thankfully the writers put in some wacky Rocket Gang moments to alleviate that, especially everything with Kojirou and the bottle cap.

For the main focus of the episode, we're finally getting rid of Takeshi. His character arc had run out by the end of the original series, yet here we are, and while there's a certain melancholy to the situation, it does feel like a 'finally' moment. I was happy to see how much focus he got in this episode, and the effort he went through to save the Pokemon. Takeshi showed a lot of maturity in a desperate situation. The usage of Kaze to Issho ni as an insert song was a perfect choice, and it made the emotions feel particularly heightened.

Pinpuku finally evolving in such a bizarre situation was kind of weird, but it was a good scene. The whole episode felt really good, but also really sad just knowing that it's almost over. Hikari talking about how she would be lonely hit me harder than I would have expected.

CorvoSol

Cross Ange 1

EXASPERATED SIGHING.

I just. Wow. You know, I'm not a very good writer you guys, but I could write a better first episode of a Mecha anime than this shit. For fuck's sake there was so much time wasted on inconsequential shit and the shit that "did" matter was just irritatingly ham-fisted.

God what an awful, awful first episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom