• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Akatsuki no Yona Episode 1 - The Princess Yona
tumblr_nd3ghsAtmI1sycko1o1_500.jpg
tumblr_nd35wsNeHQ1tlcx59o1_500.jpg

These anime with the plots with a hime whose inheriting something or in a line of power always end up with really compelling casts of characters that are instantly likeable the second they get screentime. Instantly fell in love with Hak who is just all around amazing
and who would have guessed he'd show up mere second later after praising Soo Won to save the day, shes so lucky to have him

This is thus far in the running for strongest start to the season.

Xamdou

Started watching this due to the new show starting. I'm really angry at myself for not watching it sooner. I love the concept as it reminds me of the usual monster/card game tournament style anime show structure which is cliched but still quite fun. I love the protagonist so far and most of the characters. As someone who hasn't see much gundam I gotta say I really am loving it. I think it'll keep getting better. The music is way better than it should be holy crap. It's ZAKU AMAZING! (I think I'm gonna be poor now due to buying all the awesome models).

Watched ep one on youtube, where can I watch ep 2?

Firemind

Mobile Suit Gundam: The 8th MS Team - Episodes 1-12

This was the first of the two Gundam OVAs that I still needed to watch (The other is 0083). I heard it was the better of the two so I thought this was best to tackle first.

The series starts out very strong with battles that were tactically thought out and actions were not the result of random Newtype antics occuring. It felt far more realistic than most Gundam battles I've seen.

The series then takes a bit of a stumble roughly halfway through where the tactics change to become more pacifistic, in that the 8th MS Team were to minimise casulties to Zeon forces. For a series that started out the way it did I just don't think that was a great decision to put the series in that direction, it just seemed very clumsy.

(I know about how the original director of the series died after Episode 4 and that's the reason as to why the above happened.)

Things looked up in Episode 10 with the battle between the 8th MS Team and Noris Packard's Gouf Custom which was a great battle to watch. There's just something about Gouf battles in that they're always battles in close combat and this battle was no different with Norris using the city surroundings to help him in battle.
He still techincally won the battle in the end dispite his demise by shooting down all of the Guntanks. A true ace.

The one thing that striked me as odd about the series was the final episode which by all accounts was 20 minutes of nothing followed by
proper confirmation that Shiro and Aina didn't die in the end.
It just went out with a bit of whimper.

It's still a solid series to watch nonetheless. Now it's Anohana all the way for me.
I wish Sunrise still made Gundam shows for adults.

Space Runaway Ideon 38:
That Sheryl/Gije scene with them drinking was pretty strong stuff. Of course, then the scene ended with an awkward cut to something completely different, before popping back just a minute or so later, so there was that. I did like a lot of the smaller character moments in this episode, between Sheryl dealing with all of the stuff which has happened in her life lately, Karala and Bes's short scene, and some of the humorous moments with Cosmo and Kasha (and the sweet moment when Cosmo put a blanket over Kasha after she fell asleep). Kasha also got the opportunity to kick some ass in the fighting during the episode.

And then, all hell breaks lose and the Ideon goes completely insane (
and I guess the Ide has finally manifested
) and shit goes crazy and
it cuts a motherfucking planet in two, oh my god
. And then, when you think it's all over,
you get the final moment with Gije's death and the characters reacting to. Poor Sheryl just can't get a break at all.
The journey is almost over, and although I know much of how it ends through cultural osmosis, I'm interested to see just how everything comes to pass.

Anohana - Episode 3

I would feel a bit weirded out if I was invited to a barbecue where you also find your own ghost. Menma didn't really mind though.

Plot twist at the end was interesting.
Yukiatsu also being able to see Menma as Jintan sees it was a bit of a shocker as I thought it was only Jintan's delusion that allowed him to see her. I will say however the face that Yukiatsu makes when saying that was pretty creepy, not sure why he'd make that sort of face.

GUNDAM BUILD FIGHTERS TRY-Episode 1: The Boy Who Calls The Wind

Weak start with the lead, but the second coming of Reiji redeemed the episode. Combing his martial arts with the Gunpla aesthetics was a great touch. Also love his energy and excitement over things. If there is one thing this gundam series does well is deliver on likable red haired characters. Definitely on Reiji tier for me.
BzdZpfHCIAAaEse.png
BzdY0bJCEAAoQa6.png

OP song is weak, while the reuse of s1 music is kind of disappointing, if seven years have passed then they could do different songs. If something like Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere could get a whole new two disc ost for its 13 episode second half, then this anime could as well. The Gundam itself is weak too in design, wheres the wings and beamswords?

Will keep watching as I do with GSD HD BD, hopefully I can see the other Gundam show if its picked up, or else Ill catch that one on BD?

From the New World Ep. 11

The start of this episode is a little more confusing than it needed to be, since there wasn't a clear indication of how much time had passed since the previous episode. I suppose the change in the weather was intended to serve that purpose.
So the duty pair system is how they shape the teenagers into being more heteronormative. Of course the narration made it obvious.
Speaking of which, the script for this episode is kind unsubtle. Maria's dialogue during the sunset scene wasn't too hot, since Mamoru's freakout in the previous scene already illustrated that point. And then the writer had her spell out a character flaw of hers because the narrative hasn't done a good enough job of characterizing her thus far.

From the New World Ep. 11

The start of this episode is a little more confusing than it needed to be, since there wasn't a clear indication of how much time had passed since the previous episode. I suppose the change in the season was intended to serve that purpose.

I think that was the intention, though. It's supposed to be a jarring shift from the previous episode, since reality and what the characters remember aren't lining up completely.

RuU6M6Z.png

I live in a world where I can watch a merman leisurely soaking in a bath tub and not Darling waking up to find a lamia hugging him in his bed.

I want off this planet.

I have a serious question for all of you!

Are you living in the database, database?

I am. Anyone who isn't is the real sucker now.

GUNDAM BUILD FIGHTERS TRY-Episode 1: The Boy Who Calls The Wind
The Gundam itself is weak too in design, wheres the wings and beamswords?

This Gundam is designed for hand to hand close combat, there's not really much point if it has huge wings getting in the way is there! It'll probably have some sort of beam weaponry in the end (a beam knife perhaps) but it's main draw is the flames that it generates.

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker Episode 144 [engdub]
BzdlxCwCEAAeUQ2.png

Яeverse Aichi Sendou looks pretty creepy. I hope it doesnt happen.

Funniest line was when Rekka said Best Buds BFFs, and the way she said it, lol.

Hugstable

Banned
Log Horizon Episodes 9 and 10

QudSNU6.png

Watched both of these together. Politics and laws are discusses as they meet at the Roundtable, and we get our first look at what the next opposing force is.
Think it's an interesting twist that they are using the NPC "People of the Land to set up as the enemy for a possible war
Also seems that Curry is still amazing in the database

RuU6M6Z.png

I live in a world where I can watch a merman leisurely soaking in a bath tub and not Darling waking up to find a lamia hugging him in his bed.

I want off this planet.

They teased a Monster Musume adaptation a few weeks ago, I wouldn't fret too much.

Prison School and Monster Musume to destroy animegaf

One Week Friends 6:
Hase is pretty spineless. Shogo should really straighten him out. There was a lot to love in this episode, such as the Fujimiya/Shogo reactions (man, he really doesn't give anything in return; that attempted small talk was hilarious and awkward), as well as some nice moments with Hase and Fujimiya. I also thought it was funny how Hase was all worried about being alone with her, and then upset as soon as he found out he wasn't going to be. Fujimiya's mom getting all flustered when they came over was pretty funny, too. The mother and daughter are really pretty different in the way they act.

This episode also had a first attempt at 'explaining' Fujimiya's condition, which basically amounted to 'magic, gotchya'. The whole thing is still obviously nonsense, but it works for what it's trying to do (which is basically just a vehicle in order to have a specific setup).

I get that but I don't think was handled as well it could have been.

Fair enough. I remember thinking it was fine back when it aired, but that was awhile ago (really what I'm learning from reading your posts is that I need to buy the sets and do a rewatch of the show).

Anohana - Episode 4

If we can already see Menma Mario, who ended up getting Menma Waluigi?

So Yukiatsu was collecting various bits of clothes so he could run around a forest at night dressed up as Menma. Well that's something.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
One Week Friends 6:
Hase is pretty spineless. Shogo should really straighten him out. There was a lot to love in this episode, such as the Fujimiya/Shogo reactions (man, he really doesn't give anything in return; that attempted small talk was hilarious and awkward), as well as some nice moments with Hase and Fujimiya. I also thought it was funny how Hase was all worried about being alone with her, and then upset as soon as he found out he wasn't going to be. Fujimiya's mom getting all flustered when they came over was pretty funny, too. The mother and daughter are really pretty different in the way they act.

This episode also had a first attempt at 'explaining' Fujimiya's condition, which basically amounted to 'magic, gotchya'. The whole thing is still obviously nonsense, but it works for what it's trying to do (which is basically just a vehicle in order to have a specific setup).

It's funny, because I can't even remember if I liked this show or not. I seem to have fond memories of how it opened, but then I also remember being angry as the show progessed.

Personally I was okay with how they handled them. It was a bit shocking at first (to both the audience and the characters), but it's not often that
we see a character in anime seriously question themselves in that way.
This might sound silly, but it felt sincere to me. I'm a bit biased though, I loved this anime.

I agree they handled it fairly well, I just thought it was super unexpected.
Like, he just disappeared randomly and then reappeared randomly. Honestly, even though Sawaki was the one that can see bacteria, Kei kind of felt like the main character for the first episode or so and then *poof* he's gone.

Need imoressions for

Akatsuki no Yona

When Supernaturak Battles Become Commonplace

First episode of Akatsuki no Yona was pretty solid. Not a looker, and there's some silly exposition in places, but the main character is likable and there's a pretty interesting setup for the future.

It's funny, because I can't even remember if I liked this show or not. I seem to have fond memories of how it opened, but then I also remember being angry as the show progessed.

Hmm, well hopefully that's not a bad sign for the rest of the show. I've found it to be pretty good so far, aside from one or two instances of melodrama.

Chaika S2

Yep that was exactly what i expected: chaika , chaika language , saboteur fighting, the same useless dude arond the round table arguing without taking any action

it's chaika alright

Gundam Build Fighters Try 1

That was amazing. New girl is cool. New kid is cool. His sister is niiiice. Class Prez' little brother is probably amazing too. lol @ the president of the model club trying to mack at Hoshino and shes all like nope. Burning Gundam is dope. The soundtrack is dope. Damn that was a great first episode.

Also I dont know if its a translation error or not but I thought these schools only had 3 years each? If Reiji 2 is a 2nd year, and Hoshino is his senpai, that would make the model club president a 4th year.

Clov

I agree they handled it fairly well, I just thought it was super unexpected.
Like, he just disappeared randomly and then reappeared randomly. Honestly, even though Sawaki was the one that can see bacteria, Kei kind of felt like the main character for the first episode or so and then *poof* he's gone.

Yeah, it wasn't something I expected at all either. It gave Sawaki a bit of time to grow on his own, I guess. I really need to rewatch it at some point; I'd love if some company actually brought the BD-box over, but who knows how likely that is.

Dresden

parasyte - 1

The Hiramatsu designs are really good, though the chins are exceptionally pointy, especially in the OP. It retains quite a bit of Iwaaki's style, too, especially when people laugh or are surprised - you know, the stuck out lips, the silliness of it.

I'm happy that they've included Tachikawa from the start, and that it looks like other big players in the story will appear earlier than in the manga. The series had a problem with having plot-important characters pop in and out for expediency's sake, and setting them up early will make some of the events later on feel more natural. Solid stuff.

cajunator

Banned
parasyte - 1

The Hiramatsu designs are really good, though the chins are exceptionally pointy, especially in the OP. It retains quite a bit of Iwaaki's style, too, especially when people laugh or are surprised - you know, the stuck out lips, the silliness of it.

I'm happy that they've included Tachikawa from the start, and that it looks like other big players in the story will appear earlier than in the manga. The series had a problem with having plot-important characters pop in and out for expediency's sake, and setting them up early will make some of the events later on feel more natural. Solid stuff.

It definitely gives me uneasy Narutaru vibes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom