• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Speculation Thread - Graphic talk elsewhere please.

biteren

id love a side quest in this game where you learn a Hokuto no Ken style martial art from a old man, i just wanna see people explode in VATS from punches. (and be viable in gameplay) i wanna be the Fist of the Wasteland!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
VATS in Fallout 3 is fucking boring. Not a single encounter that does anything interesting with it.

As boring as it may be, the alternative is not being able to hit the side of a barn unless you upgrade your shooting stats to high fuck. I thought STALKER was challenging until you progressed, but Fallout 3 made a mockery of it.

Teknoman

Music wise, whats the probability they dont go with Zur or Soule? I'd really like them to reach out to Mark Morgan or at least try to find someone that can make a similar unique soundtrack as Fallout 1 and 2. No generic epic music please, and dont just rely on 50s music.

EDIT: I dont have a problem with VATS, since it kinda keeps the turn based feel going, however...it does need to evolve abit, make enemies have totally different movesets or animated differently based on what part was taken out.

Also i'd really like to see them go a little crazier with mutated enemies, and have more weapons that are unusually futuristic retro from the start.

DryvBy

4k0RPcN.jpg

There were several times I would shoot their arms in VATS to knock weapons out of their hands (great during fire fights). If someone was running and I wanted to knife them, I'd shoot their legs in VATS. It's a little more tactical than always shooting the head.

My favorite was using a pistol to shoot a head clean off in slow-mo. Wut?

id love a side quest in this game where you learn a Hokuto no Ken style martial art from a old man, i just wanna see people explode in VATS from punches. (and be viable in gameplay) i wanna be the Fist of the Wasteland!

Power First + Bloody Mess. And VATS, for slow motion glory.

I'm pretty sure Bethesda implemented VATS because they wanted to give players something closer to a turn-based experience instead of risking face and success by releasing a straight shooter with some RPG dynamics, not because they don't know how to create a proper FPS. If any, the FPS mechanics are broken as fuck because they wanted VATS to make some sense.

I'm a PC gamer. Fallout's real time FPS mechanics are trash, to the point of VATS being needed by many people in order to enjoy the game.

Right, they made shit on purpose. That makes sense.

Teknoman

Also please have less but more meaningful side quests.

EDIT: Honestly VATS should've been the only way to play the game if you ask me. They probably could've gone a lot further with the idea if they didnt have to think about two play styles.

Kem0sabe

Some thoughts about the reveal trailer:

1. I'm assuming the game wont have loads between interiors and exteriors from the small segment of the dog in the house, but that might not even be gameplay. That would be awesome if true;

2. Animations and models are still mediocre, which is disappointing;

3. The voiced protagonist is really disappointing.

Not much else to say beyond speculating, as there wasnt any actual gameplay shown.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
There were several times I would shoot their arms in VATS to knock weapons out of their hands (great during fire fights). If someone was running and I wanted to knife them, I'd shoot their legs in VATS. It's a little more tactical than always shooting the head.

My favorite was using a pistol to shoot a head clean off in slow-mo. Wut?

Why do this when you can just shoot them in the head.

DryvBy

If you have one AP left and your choices are shoot the head (64% chance to hit, since they have armor, you know they're not going to die) or shoot the gun out of their hand (90% chance to hit, chance to knock gun out of hand), you've just gotta ask yourself just one question: do you feel lucky, punk? Well, do ya?

Trickster

Because on higher difficulties, I'd rather not use my vats trying hit sub 20% headshots if I'm low on health and the enemy could quite easily kill me if I'm not just a bit careful.

Etnos

Banned
I'm don't know what to think about player voice, I really enjoy the sandbox-emergent narrative of traditional Bethesda games.

Hopefully they actually manage to make the voiced narrative not linear nor limited as usual

Also wondering if they did of VATS somenthing interesting

Tons of enemy variety

Glad someone else mentioned this.

Metallic Monks

My Chrysalis Highwayman

http://markmorganmusic.com/

Give us something that sounds like this for the original music, and i'll be all over the game regardless of dumb decisions.

EDIT: Had no idea he did Wasteland 2 as well...him doing the full score for this would be like getting Matt Uleman to come back for Diablo 4.

You're gonna get more of Inon Zur's shit and you're going to like it!

Paertan

I am probably pretty alone with this but I don't want open world. I don't buy it.
Remember quests in Fallout 3/New Vegas where you are sent to neighbor village that sounds like it is far away and it takes less than 5 minutes to go there and sometimes you basically see your destination from where you get your quest.

I would like the same amount of 3D environment but divided into instances on a world map.
More like classic Fallout 1 and 2.

DOWN

Banned
I actually do like the idea of a voiced protagonist. What difference does it make? Only people it should bother are ones who get hung up trying to imagine a voice in their head when they read the dialogue choices.

I actually do like the idea of a voiced protagonist. What difference does it make? Only people it should bother are ones who get hung up trying to imagine a voice in their head when they read the dialogue choices.

It can very possibly mean less dialogue options as voicing all of them for both characters would take more time and money.

New Vegas did VATS better simply because you take normal damage while in that mode as opposed to Fallout 3 where damage received is reduced to 10%. So in New Vegas VATS is a real gamble... how appropriate

MMaRsu

Banned

You cant create a certain type of character if the voice doesnt match at all. It breaks immersion.

You cannot create a woman MC with a male VA.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I was pleased with Inon Zur's work in Fallout 3. New Vegas's score was kind me blah, but it didn't rustle my jimmies or anything.

You cant create a certain type of character if the voice doesnt match at all. It breaks immersion.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills or some shit, but didn't that leak come from a fired FEMALE voice actor?

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but in the part of the trailer where you see the "Mysterious Stranger", it's raining (1:40)

Seems to me that it's safe to say we'll get the same weather effects from Skyrim. Question is, will it effect gameplay in any way?

DOWN

Banned
It can very possibly mean less dialogue options as voicing all of them for both characters would take more time and money.
Can, doesn't have to. Their games are always pretty full on lines and dear god, The Witcher 3's conversations went on too long. I'm usually fine with BioWare's dialogue wheel.

There's nothing but a rumor that says there won't be a female so far, but I don't play as one anyway.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm usually fine with BioWare's dialogue wheel.

It's absolute garbage design-wise, though. Beths really needs to find a way to make interactions with NPCs less clunky, specially with your companions. That talk/give item wheel is YUCK.

based on this gender will be a choice from 2013 kotaku
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/11/report-bethesda-casting-voice-actors-for-fallout-4/

Other interesting details include background on the player character, for whom Bethesda is seeking male and female voices. That alone seems to suggest that “you” could function as a more fleshed-out, vocal presence in this one. At the very least, though, your character will be taking over opening monologue duties. Sorry, Ron Perlman.

Apparently you begin the game by awakening from cryo-sleep, a living relic of times not cracked and scarred by impossible desperation. “War. War never changes,” your character narrates – presumably prior to entering cryo-sleep – before launching into a tale of nuclear power, the unraveling of the American Dream, and the beginning of “total war.” He/she was once in the army and fears that their family won’t be safe in these increasingly troubled times. Unless their spouse and child end up being in the pods right next to them, I imagine their “told you so” will ring pretty hollow

Can, doesn't have to. Their games are always pretty full on lines and dear god, The Witcher 3's conversations went on too long. I'm usually fine with BioWare's dialogue wheel.

It doesn't have to, you're right, but Bethesda has a record of not spending much on voice acting. Entire races voiced by the same man and woman.

Their last game sold more than 20 million copies, I think they have the budget for more VA's and voicework

I really hope they do spend more on voice work, but for NPC variety, not the player character especially. More so of the fact that I just read what I'd say, why would I need to hear it again? That is assuming that Bethesda continues to show you the entirety of your character's dialogue choices and doesn't go the Mass Effect route of only giving a general sense of what they'll say.

smudge

It doesn't have to, you're right, but Bethesda has a record of not spending much on voice acting. Entire races voiced by the same man and woman.

I really hope they do spend more on voice work, but for NPC variety, not the player character especially. More so of the fact that I just read what I'd say, why would I need to hear it again?

They do?
I don't recall any names from Skyrim but Oblivion had Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart in the cast. Not sure how that qualifies as having a record of not spending much on voice acting..
Also, F3 had Liam fucking Neeson

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
based on this gender will be a choice from 2013 kotaku
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/11/report-bethesda-casting-voice-actors-for-fallout-4/

Other interesting details include background on the player character, for whom Bethesda is seeking male and female voices. That alone seems to suggest that “you” could function as a more fleshed-out, vocal presence in this one. At the very least, though, your character will be taking over opening monologue duties. Sorry, Ron Perlman.

Apparently you begin the game by awakening from cryo-sleep, a living relic of times not cracked and scarred by impossible desperation. “War. War never changes,” your character narrates – presumably prior to entering cryo-sleep – before launching into a tale of nuclear power, the unraveling of the American Dream, and the beginning of “total war.” He/she was once in the army and fears that their family won’t be safe in these increasingly troubled times. Unless their spouse and child end up being in the pods right next to them, I imagine their “told you so” will ring pretty hollow

YO!

I think I have a pretty good outline of the plot going by the debut trailer.

The parents. One of them is the MC. The man is more built than the average NPC, which kind of fits with the part about him having military experience.

Alarms blare. Shit is going down. People run to take refuge wherever they can. They try to run to a Vault, carrying their baby.

But somehow, none of them make it in time to get inside. Either that or they are rejected.

Going by the leaks, it makes sense that they survive the explosion and then head to The Institute (aka: the MIT), where they find some cryo capsules that allow the MC to wake up in the future -now the present- with only their old world military experience to fend themself.

Sounds pretty good to me!

DOWN

Banned
It's absolute garbage design-wise, though. Beths really needs to find a way to make interactions with NPCs less clunky, specially with your companions. That talk/give item wheel is YUCK.

What's garbage about it and what would be better? It's becoming the standard for WRPGs. Spread through BioWare and Witcher has moved toward their summarized selection style.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
What's garbage about it and what would be better? It's becoming the standard for WRPGs. Spread through BioWare and Witcher has moved toward their summarized selection style.

Bethesda's menu is a disaster in interaction. Really slow and clunky. The idea is not bad, but they need to refine the way it's presented and used.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I think what they did in Skyrim was pretty cool though, hoping it's the same in Fallout 4.

I haven't played Skyrim, but I hope that's the case.

Also, I hope that companions fucking learn to recharge their most powerful/adequate weapons and how to use grenades. Seeing Cass going after a swarm of cazadores with a pistol instead of dousing them in flames was infuriating as hell. I had to protect those nitwits from themselves half of the time.

-duskdoll-

I haven't played Skyrim, but I hope that's the case.

Also, I hope that companions fucking learn to recharge their most powerful/adequate weapons and how to use grenades. Seeing Cass going after a swarm of cazadores with a pistol instead of dousing them in flames was infuriating as hell. I had to protect those nitwits from themselves half of the time.

Here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PU0pRY_1ZQ (minor spoilers?)

And yeah i agree on the companions, they were better in NV than in F3 but they still could be a lot better.

Thorgal

I don't get this.

All Bethesda games have included 1000 's of lines of spoken dialog Without problem (could use some more diversity though), but adding one or more characters with voice acting would break their backs?

Top Bottom