• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Speculation Thread - Graphic talk elsewhere please.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Wish Fallout4 would have vehicles instead of fast travel.
But from the looks of the trailer the world map still looks to be the typical gamebryo compressed gameplay space where every "city"/interesting location is in spitting distance from each other.

I'm hoping for this as well, how awesome would it be to drive a motorcycle or fly a vertibird?

DOWN

Banned
Wish Fallout4 would have vehicles instead of fast travel.
But from the looks of the trailer the world map still looks to be the typical gamebryo compressed gameplay space where every "city"/interesting location is in spitting distance from each other.
Hate that you don't get to walk even a few minutes feeling stranded. You can always see more POI in view. Most games do this.

Guy.brush

I'm hoping for this as well, how awesome would it be to drive a motorcycle or fly a vertibird?

With Skyrim/Fallout 3/Vegas it always felt to me like the game world map was this weird inbetween thing.
Too small/compressed for proper vehicle travel, too big for easy on-foot travel, so you kind of needed fast travel (or horses)

Hasney

I am probably pretty alone with this but I don't want open world. I don't buy it.
Remember quests in Fallout 3/New Vegas where you are sent to neighbor village that sounds like it is far away and it takes less than 5 minutes to go there and sometimes you basically see your destination from where you get your quest.

I would like the same amount of 3D environment but divided into instances on a world map.
More like classic Fallout 1 and 2.

I actually skipped half the main story because I met my dads girlfriend before I did a single mission in the main quest. Never even found Dogmeat. That's why I love its open world.

Lombax

Banned
Just wanted to share this.

I work in downtown Boston, and after watching the trailer I was grinning on my walk from the office to South Station.
Being able to walk around a blasted version of this city is going to be so cool!

I am really hoping the landmass extends to S. NH as well.

Hype for this game.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

I work in downtown Boston, and after watching the trailer I was grinning on my walk from the office to South Station.
Being able to walk around a blasted version of this city is going to be so cool!

Hype for this game.

It will be interesting to see if Bethesda did as much research into all sorts of Boston area location and made them places in-game with this followup. New Vegas was great for this so when a Bostonian says stuff like this it makes me hopeful.

DOWN

Banned
It will be interesting to see if Bethesda did as much research into all sorts of Boston area location and made them places in-game with this followup. New Vegas was great for this so when a Bostonian says stuff like this it makes me hopeful.
The first rumors about Fallout 4 being in Boston came from Bethesda Devs going scouting in Boston and photographing iirc. That's a good sign.

I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't have that rumored harsh ass nuclear winter setting. (that was a hoax, right?), but i had still hoped it was true. Now it looks like same old Fallout 3 to me.

Scoot2005

Banned
Alright. My little theory got lost in the whole graphics bullshit debate so I'll put it here.

In the trailer we see not only flashbacks but a store/building of some type called the Memory Den. Now it also has a sign outside of it that says girls, girls, girls but that sure is an odd name for a brothel/strip club.

So maybe the flashbacks are a part of the story. Also since The Institute is close that would open up a myriad of possibilities for cybernetic implants. Just look at the runaway android quest from Fallout 3. What if the protagonist is human with memory altering implants and the Memory Den in a place that can restore them? Or perhaps multiple groups end up going after the protagonist because his old memories have secrets they need to get into some old bunker that's locked and needs an old code?

Another speculation I have is what if Vault 111 was an experiment in cybernetics and androids? All of the vaults had some sort of experiment going on. Just my 2 cents.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Alright. My little theory got lost in the whole graphics bullshit debate so I'll put it here.

In the trailer we see not only flashbacks but a store/building of some type called the Memory Den. Now it also has a sign outside of it that says girls, girls, girls but that sure is an odd name for a brothel/strip club.

So maybe the flashbacks are a part of the story. Also since The Institute is close that would open up a myriad of possibilities for cybernetic implants. Just look at the runaway android quest from Fallout 3. What if the protagonist is human with memory altering implants and the Memory Den in a place that can restore them? Or perhaps multiple groups end up going after the protagonist because his old memories have secrets they need to get into some old bunker that's locked and needs an old code?

Another speculation I have is what if Vault 111 was an experiment in cybernetics and androids? All of the vaults had some sort of experiment going on. Just my 2 cents.

I thought the "Memory Den" fit into the leak/rumor that androids would be their own faction in the game. If you look closely at the people outside the building they don't look exactly human especially the "Mysterious Stranger" dude. He has a robotic/prosthetic arm and also seems to have glowing eyes.

Drazgul

^ That dude is suspicious. Wouldn't be surprised he was one of those androids who hunt other escaped androids, like A3-21 was.

Maybe it's like Total Recall. We Can Remember It For You, Wholesale!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Yeah the whole flashback sequences gives some support to a more set protagonist, remembering how the world was. Ever since The Replicated Man quest in FO3 a lot of people have speculated we'd be an Android ourselves in FO4. Could be that we weren't cryo'd but just told we were, or led to believe it, and in instead we are just a prototype synth with implanted human memories. Or some kind of cyborg mix. And as you say those memories we have are valuable. So we "wake" up and believe we have a wife and child but really they're long dead, and the whole thing is an attempt to access those locked away memories to access some secret cache of old world tech or vault. Memory Den definitely fits into this if it does let people access or import memories.

Would make us wanted and important to every supposed faction in the world since they'd all want access to old world tech or information to further their cause. BoS to horde it, the Institute to exploit it, the Railroad to strengthen them and help save more synths.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Yeah the whole flashback sequences gives some support to a more set protagonist, remembering how the world was. Ever since The Replicated Man quest in FO3 a lot of people have speculated we'd be an Android ourselves in FO4. Could be that we weren't cryo'd but just told we were, or led to believe it, and in instead we are just a prototype synth with implanted human memories. Or some kind of cyborg mix. And as you say those memories we have are valuable. So we "wake" up and believe we have a wife and child but really they're long dead, and the whole thing is an attempt to access those locked away memories to access some secret cache of old world tech or vault. Memory Den definitely fits into this if it does let people access or import memories.

Would make us wanted and important to every supposed faction in the world since they'd all want access to old world tech or information to further their cause. BoS to horde it, the Institute to exploit it, the Railroad to strengthen them and help save more synths.

See this seems very likely especially if we wake up in a Vault. Remember, EVERY Vault is also a secret scientific experiment so the question is what is Vault 111's experiment? Androids with old war tech implanted with human memories seems likely.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
See this seems very likely especially if we wake up in a Vault. Remember, EVERY Vault is also a secret scientific experiment so the question is what is Vault 111's experiment? Androids with old war tech implanted with human memories seems likely.

Yeah I wouldn't be all that surprised if Vault 111 was the birth place, or at least connected to, the origin of synths in general. Scientists and egg heads from MIT and other places hid in their vaults and spend however long they were down there testing and experimenting with artificial life, and you are one such attempt. Either a hybrid Human/android or just a pure android that utilized a human donors memories to function. Right now I'm guessing it's the latter, but either work if you were outside the vault when the nuke went off in the trailer. No way you just get hit with that explosion and go into a vault all fine and dandy. You'd be irradiated and totally fucked up. After that kind of exposure and blast you'd be luck to be a brain in a jar.

So then 200 years later either you got mothballed and wake up on chance, or you are woken up on purpose and led to believe you're a real human. They couldn't directly access your memories so the hope is that if you are left to figure things out on your own, try and find your wife and child, you'll remember those latent memories on whatever it is they want. Meanwhile your wife and child are long dead themselves.

Thinking about this I'm basically describing Terminator Salvation.

I've been thinking about Obsidian. I think San Deigo/Tijuana would be perfect for a spinoff. Rebuilt New San Diego + Ghoul populated Dayglow. NCR fighting against a Mexican Force across the border. It has potential. Fallout: New San Diego.

Two words, Mariachi Ghouls.

Hell yeah I can see the map now. Nasty City,Ghoula Vista, Ysidro, The Imperial, Nado.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Yeah I wouldn't be all that surprised if Vault 111 was the birth place, or at least connected to, the origin of synths in general. Scientists and egg heads from MIT and other places hid in their vaults and spend however long they were down there testing and experimenting with artificial life, and you are one such attempt. Either a hybrid Human/android or just a pure android that utilized a human donors memories to function. Right now I'm guessing it's the latter, but either work if you were outside the vault when the nuke went off in the trailer. No way you just get hit with that explosion and go into a vault all fine and dandy. You'd be irradiated and totally fucked up. After that kind of exposure and blast you'd be luck to be a brain in a jar.

So then 200 years later either you got mothballed and wake up on chance, or you are woken up on purpose and led to believe you're a real human. They couldn't directly access your memories so the hope is that if you are left to figure things out on your own, try and find your wife and child, you'll remember those latent memories on whatever it is they want. Meanwhile your wife and child are long dead themselves.

Thinking about this I'm basically describing Terminator Salvation.

i could see The Institute having origins in a vault and their combined intellect outsmart whatever twisted experiment that Vault-Tec had in mind.

The memory stuff.. the android stuff.. i think something like you are speculating will happen.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?

Especially after Mad Max Fury Road I'd love to see some dedicated areas where vehicles would come into play in Fallout. Design your world in a way where there's no place for them except specifically designed areas. Or jumping off high buildings with deltawings and shit. But then again the MM game will be all about that so maybe they've got that covered :).

Scoot2005

Banned
I thought the "Memory Den" fit into the leak/rumor that androids would be their own faction in the game. If you look closely at the people outside the building they don't look exactly human especially the "Mysterious Stranger" dude. He has a robotic/prosthetic arm and also seems to have glowing eyes.

Maybe the Memory Den is to androids what booze/drugs are to humans. A way to have human experiences while still being an android. Maybe they get addicted to it and have to keep going back or their memories get corrupted and go berserk.

Tovarisc

I hope that garage is actual thing, homebase of sorts, where we get to tinker with found equipment and over time build BOS's power armor by scavenging parts from fallen BOS's power armored troops.

Venom Fox

Banned
Watching that trailer multiple times has made me realise how eerily close the radio broadcasters lines were, to some of the stuff on the Survivor website.

It'd be cool if it turned out not to be a fake but was actually a tool used by Bethesda to get us hyped.

The stuff like when the broadcaster said we are getting reports of nuclear explosions. It really reminded me of the Survivor website.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't have that rumored harsh ass nuclear winter setting. (that was a hoax, right?), but i had still hoped it was true. Now it looks like same old Fallout 3 to me.

Well, there's Icy :)

Though a Fallout with a winter setting would be very, very neat. A destroyed landscape covered in snow could be a thing of beauty.

Sotha_Sil

Nature finds way to bounce back when given enough time. In this case, most likely, several hundred years.

Indeed, that's the point of the Fallout game world. Nature is starting to rebuild itself, then the vaults start opening up and people are back in the world, albeit with a lot less resources than when they went in. It's not supposed to be a barren wasteland with almost nothing there.

Fallout 3's wasteland was something different from 1/2/Tactics, as it was much more primitive. New Vegas was more in line with the originals, showing us farmland, large bodies of clean water, and actual infrastructure and organized factions (people getting paid for work, etc).

I hope Bethesda takes note of these things and apply it to this game. It looks like they might have.

Morokh

I hope that garage is actual thing, homebase of sorts, where we get to tinker with found equipment and over time build BOS's power armor by scavenging parts from fallen BOS's power armored troops.

I really hope there is a lot you can tinker, kits were nice in FO:NV (and well F03 modded) and so were the crafted weapons in F03, I really hope we at least have both with a decent variety of options.

Drazgul

I really hope there is a lot you can tinker, kits were nice in FO:NV (and well F03 modded) and so were the crafted weapons in F03, I really hope we at least have both with a decent variety of options.

I'm hoping that unfinished power armor isn't just for show. Would be amazing if assembling it was a lengthy questline, trying to find the pieces all over the place (and even more amazing if you could take it out even in its unfinished state, and then upgrade it later for more DR/DT and other bonuses).

Derp

What is the educated guess as to when this game will release? Fall 2016?
Fall 2016 is my guess. But I'm a pessimist. Also I don't trust retailers' dates :p I trust historical data! Bethesda always leaves at least a 1 year gap between announcement and release.

Fall 2016 is my guess. But I'm a pessimist. Also I don't trust retailers' dates :p I trust historical data! Bethesda always leaves at least a 1 year gap between announcement and release.

Historically every Bethesda game since 2002 has had a 3 year gap between each other. If this releases next year it would have 5 years.

Morokh

I'm hoping that unfinished power armor isn't just for show. Would be amazing if assembling it was a lengthy questline, trying to find the pieces all over the place (and even more amazing if you could take it out even in its unfinished state, and then upgrade it later for more DR/DT and other bonuses).

As much as I like the idea ..... I never use power armor xD

Jabba

Banned

I am really hoping the landmass extends to S. NH as well.

Hype for this game.

I'm hoping the map extends to my kneck of the woods or somewhere close. Think Coffee milk and hot weiners.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
i could see The Institute having origins in a vault and their combined intellect outsmart whatever twisted experiment that Vault-Tec had in mind.

The memory stuff.. the android stuff.. i think something like you are speculating will happen.

It could be really cool if handled right, but I'm not sure it's cool enough or reason enough to have a male only protag, if that is indeed true. Hopefully it is not. But I'm definitely leaning towards a Blade Runner/Terminator Salvation type situation.

Tawpgun

Never played a Fallout game before. Always wanted to try 3. Might hop on this because its Boston.

Been thinking about how big the world is willing to get. Boston metro area? Or we getting bigger?

Notable areas: Blue Hills
Logan Airport
Charles River
Harvard/MIT
Classic Southie Crime
Fenway
TD Garden
New Hamshire
Cape Cod
Martha Vineyard/Nantucket
Providence RI
Quabbin Reservoir/Berkshires

Derp

Historically every Bethesda game since 2002 has had a 3 year gap between each other. If this releases next year it would have 5 years.
There's not enough similarity between releases to suggest that there's a 3 year gap trend though. Starting from 2002, 4 year gap then a 2.5 year gap and then a 3 year gap. Also development time varies because ambitions vary. If this game takes 5 years it just means they've spent more time on it than their other games (they already have at this point since it will be 4 years at the end of this year, so the 3 year argument is already dead).

There's not enough similarity between releases to suggest that there's a 3 year gap trend though. Starting from 2002, 4 year gap then a 2.5 year gap and then a 3 year gap. Also development time varies because ambitions vary. If this game takes 5 years it just means they've spent more time on it than their other games (they already have at this point since it's been 4 years, so the 3 year argument is already dead).

There is plenty of evidence to suggest this year.

Lombax

Banned
I'm hoping the map extends to my kneck of the woods or somewhere close. Think Coffee milk and hot weiners.

XS5LK.gif

Top Bottom