• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Speculation Thread - Graphic talk elsewhere please.

Um, what? Apparently you didn't pay too close attention when picking/making your character in Fallout 1. Sure, there were some preset made characters. There was also the option to modify those characters. And... wait for it... an option just to outright create your own. I even just opened Fallout just to verify I wasn't some how misremembering (hell, I forgot it gave you the option to use a premade character cause I just skip that part).

Creating your own character has always been a staple of Fallout. In fact and 1+2 it was a very well known thing that the idea was that you made a character, and if you found it was too hard to get through fallout, it just meant you needed to go back and try again and try to build a more useful character. Part of the tactics of it was how you built your character up.

But didnt you have to use one of the preset characters (at least their portraits). I think just the name and the stats could be changed

MattyG

Banned
QKjHdVA.jpg

One thing I'm really not sure about is what's going on with the taller buildings? They have some kind of white and orange covering, almost looks like scaffolding, but I don't think it is. Maybe it's some sort of experiment that the Institute is doing?

Steel

Banned
I seriously think we won't be able to customize the character. The protagonist in the trailer looks exactly the same (including hair style and everything) as the guy in the Kotaku's leaked scripts. The protagonist at the end also looks exactly like the father at the beginning in the pre-war flashback with the baby, so the protagonist may be the son, so to go along with having a voice I think the character predefined.

[Leaked script protagonist]
Y6FUXIM.png

[Pre-war, father with baby]
PZjKNXb.png

[Protagonist in trailer]
A1FNEZR.png

I don't know how I feel about this. I guess we have to wait and see.

The father thing doesn't matter. Remember in Fallout 3, the PC had a father as well and he looks similar to them no matter how you customize your character. I am worried about the voice and a potential lack of gender options, though.

petghost

Banned
One thing I'm really not sure about is what's going on with the taller buildings? They have some kind of white and orange covering, almost looks like scaffolding, but I don't think it is. Maybe it's some sort of experiment that the Institute is doing?

Dno but got me thinking that could be the ruins of the prudential center in the back bay.

Tigress

But didnt you have to use one of the preset characters (at least their portraits). I think just the name and the stats could be changed

Um, I just said you didn't have to and that there was an option to create your character (bottom right I believe but don't feel like opening Fallout again to check).

And yeah, there wasn't much for messing around with portrait/icon on the map (but you could mess around with stuff to change stuff around), but then again your icon on the map is so small it's not like much detail could be made anyways. Really what made your character was the stats and name (and skills and flaws/perks). The picture was just a vague representation. Kinda like when you roleplay IRL with friends and you just have a stat sheet to tell you who your character is and your imagination to flesh them out more.

Late, and fake hopefully.

Fixed that for you :p. Though I wouldn't mind cats in the game (same rumor has it that there is an area with cats). Though to be fair they'd be messing with cannon cause supposedly the last cat died in Fallout 2 (or you hear mention of him dieing anyways).

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Fixed that for you :p. Though I wouldn't mind cats in the game (same rumor has it that there is an area with cats). Though to be fair they'd be messing with cannon cause supposedly the last cat died in Fallout 2 (or you hear mention of him dieing anyways).

I don't know the context, so maybe they do explain it, but... how could they possibly know that?

gosox333

Capitol Wasteland
Mojave Wasteland

What are they gonna call this one? Commonwealth Wasteland? Institutional Wasteland?

I am really interested in the prewar stuff. It would be kinda cool if we got to explore a small portion of the map during prewar. Maybe a day before type of thing at the very beginning of the game. I am not really interested in having flashbacks throughout the course of the game, that would take me out of it.

Two Words

I actually wouldn't mind limited character design if it meant the main character had some agency of his own in the world. Something I'm appreciating about Witcher 3 is that Geralt is a well defined character and it's not as if the world has to treat him like a blank slate and wait for me to fill in his personality.

thought you might like this
The "fake" employee leaker from last year. supposedly fired
been correct so far.. but time will tell

read it if you want but she was correct about speaking and E3
http://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/38dd29/the_fake_employee_leaker_from_last_year/

it in spoiler tags
apparently there was a reddit leak on the game last year. A lot of what was posted is matching up with what we have seen so far.
the leaker states she used to work for Bethesda and was fired hence the revenge leak.
So, what does everyone now think about that SandraReed supposed leak from a year ago? So far, some of it checks out.
It mentions a really cool feature - birds eye view, simular to FO 1/2/T.
She said a long time ago and I really didn't believe.But according to this, I have very high hopes that this game will be spectacular.

By the way, I think it will be released for old gen.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/28v2dn/i_played_fallout_4/
Despite that the leak is more likely to be fake but I'm going to make small list of information which would be easier for everyone to read.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it's looking like it may be cross-gen after all?

https://np.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/28v2dn/i_played_fallout_4/

I wonder how much of that reddit post is true.

lol

Tigress

I don't know the context, so maybe they do explain it, but... how could they possibly know that?

True true. This is what the fallout wikipedia has to say on the matter : http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Cat

And judging from it, it is saying it is possible there are cats somewhere.

Anyways, I'd totally love to see cats in Fallout (also in Elder Scrolls. Sure we get a cat race but I actually want cats too. Obviously they exist cause the Nords kept calling me cat as an insult <- I played a Khaljiit. Not only do I almost always play females in these games, if you give me a cat character, I'm going to play it. Unless there is a true dragon, not some sort of mix, that I can play :) ).

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
(also in Elder Scrolls. Sure we get a cat race but I actually want cats too. Obviously they exist cause the Nords kept calling me cat as an insult <- I played a Khaljiit. Not only do I almost always play females in these games, if you give me a cat character, I'm going to play it. Unless there is a true dragon, not some sort of mix, that I can play :) ).

All the regular cats in the Elder Scrolls belonged to the cousins of Skyrim-based bandits. They were all killed.

Recall

I wonder if we will get a sprint feature!

PC mods created for Fallout 3 and New Vegas created one that used your action points as a stamina bar for running. So I wonder if Bethesda may implement something similar here?

Best thing to do is hope for another Obsidian developed side game after this one. Express that interest to Bethesda. Be productive, etc.

Exactly. I hope we get both again, best of both worlds. I adored both Fallout 3 and New Vegas, even though the latter took a bit longer to endear itself to me. The relationship between the two companies seems to be better than it was post-release, at least up until a few years ago. I really thought the idea expressed in that interview was cool: a Fallout set in the Boneyard. One can hope.

Fjordson

Yeah I'm guessing most fo1 + 2 fans have accepted that the series ain't going back to that style.
That's me. Fallout 2 is probably my favourite RPG ever, but these newer Fallouts are smash hits with big fanbases. Zero reason for Bethesda to second guess any of the decisions they've made with Fallout thus far. It's the simple business reality of where the IP is at.

Which is fine. I have my nitpicks, but I enjoyed FO 3 and New Vegas plenty and I'm sure FO 4 will be dope also.

Fjordson

Not possible...
There is nuke and after that mutants emerge...What is the age of this guy then ?
That's kinda where I'm at, but some people have suggested he could get put in cryosleep or something in a vault...kinda meh on the whole idea, but I guess it makes sense. Still have my doubts that it's true, though.

Not possible...
There is nuke and after that mutants emerge...What is the age of this guy then ?

There's cryosleep in the Fallout universe, so he might have just gone into cryo.

As for the "no customization", I call fake. We'll, at the very least, be able to customize our own appearance. I'm pretty certain we'll be able to play as a female, too. Beth will have been paying attention to the backlash after AC: U's release, for sure.

That's not to say this company hasn't made questionable decisions in the past, but I doubt they're willing to give up that much of their sandbox approach to the gameplay. They might be going for a more Witcher-style of conversations with a voiced protagonist, which I'm okay with, as long as they do it right.

Plasma

Banned
I wonder if we will get a sprint feature!

PC mods created for Fallout 3 and New Vegas created one that used your action points as a stamina bar for running. So I wonder if Bethesda may implement something similar here?

Skyrim had sprint I'm fairly sure it will be in here as well.

Radogol

That's kinda where I'm at, but some people have suggested he could get put in cryosleep or something in a vault...kinda meh on the whole idea, but I guess it makes sense. Still have my doubts that it's true, though.

Or maybe he's a synth with this guy's memories implanted.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I have this recurring nightmare that they took out VATS.
I have this recurring nightmare where VATS is still in. What an awful, awful system. I wish they'd replace it with proper gunplay mechanics but keep all the awesome RPG elements. Then the game would be absolutely incredible.

The gameplay is the same exact thing. You go into VATS and you shoot. They are both good games but lets not try to make NV something it was not.
WTF? Gameplay isn't limited to combat, especially in a game like Fallout.

DryvBy

VATS makes the game pointless. You are basically a god in it. I'm guessing mods rebalanced it.

No, it actually made the game feel unique and helped transition me from Fallout 1/2 to 3/NV. It also covered up the fact that this game didn't have the best shooting mechanics.

So much possibility. From the trailer it ooks like Boston is massive and more traversable compared to DC but you can get far enough away so that it's a horizon shot. I wonder if this will be the biggeest Bethesda map to date. The level of detail is pretty ridiculous, especially if the level of item interactivity returns.

I hope the power armor hung up means full customization. Building power armor would be great.

Hard to tell yet, but hopefully they found a nice middle ground between real city and amusement park.

VATS makes the game accessible to those not accustomed to first-person perspective games as well as those that feel overwhelmed by real-time combat.

Nah, it was a piece of shit idea meant to cover the fact that they didn't know how to impliment proper shooting mechanics.
It's lazy, just like everything that bethesda does.
GRjTCaC.jpg

IJM6Qrk.jpg

kED5GYc.jpg

pI803dQ.jpg

Bu341nJ.jpg

4k0RPcN.jpg

Kalliban

Neo Member
VATS makes the game pointless. You are basically a god in it. I'm guessing mods rebalanced it.

I strongly disagree. VATS is awesome and really makes the points you sink into the weapon skills feel like they make a difference. Games where you aim yourself really makes it all up to the player, which would make all the weapon skills useless. This way I can really roleplay and create different characters for different walkthroughs. A smooth talking lockpicker plays very differently from a nuke flinging brawler.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Nah, it was a piece of shit idea meant to cover the fact that they didn't know how to impliment proper shooting mechanics.
It's lazy, just like everything that bethesda does.

I'm pretty sure Bethesda implemented VATS because they wanted to give players something closer to a turn-based experience instead of risking face and success by releasing a straight shooter with some RPG dynamics, not because they don't know how to create a proper FPS. If any, the FPS mechanics are broken as fuck because they wanted VATS to make some sense.

Factually correct statement, for consoles.
I'm a PC gamer. Fallout's real time FPS mechanics are trash, to the point of VATS being needed by many people in order to enjoy the game.

Top Bottom