• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Wiggum2007

Samurai Penguin said:
No doubt this has been mentioned before, but are there plans to actually fix the bullshit glitch that is the invisible gun/pipboy and obscurely placed gun/pipboy on the 360???

It happens constantly, but never at the same spot. I move and the gun moves up, looking really bizarre. I turn a little, it goes away. I move onwards...it happens again. Sometimes it may not happen for at least 10 minutes...but it happens every time I play.

It may only last for a second or so, but when you are in a battle and need to bring up the pipboy to heal or use an item, only to find it is either invisible or is off screen, then it gets fucking annoying.

Aaaah I hate this! I don't remember it ever happening in FO3.

Yeah. I am 70 hours or so in FO3 and it never happened once. Yet I am almost 40 hours in FO: NV and it happens everytime I play it since I got it on launch >.<

Please fix this shit Obsidian :(

watership

Finished this earlier this evening. Glad to say I am saying goodbye to this glitchy, crashy mess. I loved some of the story and characters, but what a terrible ending and I think I was crashing every 30 mins. It started out so well too, playing on 360, and I was totally adapting to the game's (at the time) minor glitches, but near the end I was just loathing it and I wanted to be done.

- Gun glitch. Got over it. but come on.
- Quests glitches. At least 4 quests led me to NPC that did nothing.
- Ceaser's tent. Wouldn't let me enter because I had a companion following me. Rex was no where to be found. He was lost... somewhere.. glitching. Lost hours looking for him in previous saves.
- One of my companions sprinted into the distance once I left a shack. Never came back. Couldn't pick up another because they kept saying I have too many. Came down the stairs in Vault 22, and there she was. What. The. Fuck.
- I don't remember Fallout 3 being so goofy with swearing. You run into a Fiend, he's a swearing asshole.. I get it. But sometimes Cass would suddenly turn weird and swear up a storm out of nowhere. It's like the developers ran through the dialog and though it needed more 'edge'.

I liked a lot of what the game had to offer, despite my rant. The voice work by Rene Auberjonois as Mr House was great, the companions were actually useful this time too and the factions will make for great re-playability.

Or they would have if I had the desire to play this game again. Maybe in a few months I'll give it another shot on PC. This game shouldn't have shipped in it's current state.

Whew. That was cathartic!

(._.)

Banned
43 hours in on this game. I got it day one but only played about five. Restarted my game last week. I'm already close to end game but I'm like 1/3 through the main quest. Doing so many side quests and exploring. PC version obviously.

Alright I got a bit of an issue, I'm not sure if its a glitch or what but I'm pretty much fucked.

I'm about 66 hours into the game, recently hit level 30 and throughout the game I've been idolized by the NCR. I start doing missions in the brotherhood of steel so I can see if I can wear power armor. I do the missions etc etc get the training. So I decide to start doing the main quest again (ring a ding ding/ house always wins) and I go into the 2nd section of the strip(with the tops and the ultra luxe i think) and all of a sudden, the NCR mps automatically attack me. Thinking, "ok I have power armor on, maybe they dont like that."

So I reload my save and take off the armor, they still come after anyway. I reload my save, go to my pipboy to check my factions, and NCR is nowhere listed at all, neither is caesars legion. I read that going to the NCR ambassador and doing his missions will bring your fame back up. But by the time I get to the ambassador and get his missions in my log, they automatically fail as soon as one of the damn MPs touch me. I even tried going in with NCR armor on and if you get close to any of the MPs they start attacking anyway.

The weird thing is my friend did the same BoS missions I did and got the power armor and nothing happened to his affiliation with the NCR. I dont get what happened here. Am I fucked? Is there anyway to get their affiliation back up?

Jerk 2.0 said:
Do you have Veronica with you? Is she wearing power armour? It should not make a difference but that may be it.

Nope I have Cass with me. The other weird thing is I dont have Brotherhood of steel in my pipboy faction list either, and I know I'm accepted with them. I'm starting to think that something got glitched up, which doesnt surprise me with this games track record.

watership said:
- I don't remember Fallout 3 being so goofy with swearing. You run into a Fiend, he's a swearing asshole.. I get it. But sometimes Cass would suddenly turn weird and swear up a storm out of nowhere. It's like the developers ran through the dialog and though it needed more 'edge'.

Well Cass is a drunk and you were hunting shitheads.

Ok so I managed to talk to the ncr ambassador and complete the first mission and now I'm "Accepted" under NCR. I just killed all of the MPs that were attacking me and then went to talk to him for the mission. Problem is, I'm STILL getting attacked by NCR wherever I go, and now I'm vilified at the strip. I really dont understand whats going on. Great.

EDIT: Reloaded my save again, went back to my safehouse and pulled out my BoS power armor. Equipped it: says "You are now dressed as a brotherhood of steel member." Exited out of pipboy, checked affiliations, still NCR is not there. Took off armor says: "you are no longer dressed as a BoS member." Went out of pipboy and back in, checked my affiliations: SUCCESS, all my affiliations are back to normal. Now I think what happened is I was wearing the armor at one point and as it was equipped and the affiliations were changed, I put it into the cabinet/fridge/dresser and that kept my BoS member affiliation with me. Bad programming I guess.

So did that last patch do anything for the game? Or is this thread just misleading due to the unfortunate few of you who are still experiencing bugs? I picked up the game on Black Friday but haven't played it yet since I've been out of the country and was really looking forward to a fixed game by the time I got back.

Kazzy

Lionheart1827 said:
Ok so I managed to talk to the ncr ambassador and complete the first mission and now I'm "Accepted" under NCR. I just killed all of the MPs that were attacking me and then went to talk to him for the mission. Problem is, I'm STILL getting attacked by NCR wherever I go, and now I'm vilified at the strip. I really dont understand whats going on. Great.

EDIT: Reloaded my save again, went back to my safehouse and pulled out my BoS power armor. Equipped it: says "You are now dressed as a brotherhood of steel member." Exited out of pipboy, checked affiliations, still NCR is not there. Took off armor says: "you are no longer dressed as a BoS member." Went out of pipboy and back in, checked my affiliations: SUCCESS, all my affiliations are back to normal. Now I think what happened is I was wearing the armor at one point and as it was equipped and the affiliations were changed, I put it into the cabinet/fridge/dresser and that kept my BoS member affiliation with me. Bad programming I guess.

It might have something to do with the type of Brotherhood armour that you are wearing. I know I had a similar problem, there are two variations and one classes you as a faction member whilst the other doesn't, odd but it happens.

So frustrating when I forgot to change my outfit before jumping to an NCR outpost after completing "You'll know it when it happens" instantly got attacked, annoying especially as I had no helmet on, they should know these things! :lol

cmonmanreally said:
So did that last patch do anything for the game? Or is this thread just misleading due to the unfortunate few of you who are still experiencing bugs? I picked up the game on Black Friday but haven't played it yet since I've been out of the country and was really looking forward to a fixed game by the time I got back.

It fixed some stuff for me on the 360 versions, but it still doesn't run that great. Game may even lock up more for me after the patch than before.

Watanabe Kazuma said:
It might have something to do with the type of Brotherhood armour that you are wearing. I know I had a similar problem, there are two variations and one classes you as a faction member whilst the other doesn't, odd but it happens.

So frustrating when I forgot to change my outfit before jumping to an NCR outpost after completing "You'll know it when it happens" instantly got attacked, annoying especially as I had no helmet on, they should know these things! :lol

Thats probably what it was. When you get the training they give you brotherhood power armor and automatically put it on you. I picked up some regular T45 power armor as well, but the one they gave me automatically changed my affiliations. *sigh* Crisis averted. :lol

What the fuuuuuuck? I've been playing this all day on my laptop on power saver battery settings (plugged in of course) and haven't had any performance problems whatsoever. I'd even say performance was great (high settings w/o AA). Is my laptop a miracle worker or will I see super performance improvements when I change it? Silly of me to post, but I thought it was a Fuck Yeah moment.

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
It fixed some stuff for me on the 360 versions, but it still doesn't run that great. Game may even lock up more for me after the patch than before.

That's pretty unfortunate. I played the hell out of Fallout 3 without running into any bugs or glitches. Here's to hoping that another fix comes in soon.

Carl

I love this game but it's forcing to me to reset annoyingly often. I'll be happy to finish it and put it back on the shelf, honestly.

Kazzy

Carl said:
I love this game but it's forcing to me to reset annoyingly often. I'll be happy to finish it and put it back on the shelf, honestly.

Pretty much, the more you play the longer loading takes I have found. This makes the game nearly unplayable in places like Freeside and Hoover Dam where most of the quests are just a maze of loading screens as everything is always behind multiple doors.

For this reason I can only play it in short bursts at the moment, I have done all the multiple ending paths so can now get back to uncovering all of the Mojave!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gah, man. Regarding "There Stands the Grass".
Surviving the explosion in Vault 22 is such a bitch. I thought you were able to hide in the back of the data room across from the vents and not take any damage? Even with the door closed, I still took fatal damage, despite the fact that the explosion didn't reach into the room. Only way I survived is by hotkeying Stimpaks and wasting like 8 of the damn things. Oddly enough, Veronica was in the same room as me, CLOSER to the door, and took no damage. What the fucking hell.

Also, give Veronica some Brotherhood armor and she's a fucking BEAST. I barely have to do any actual fighting anymore. :lol

Kazzy

Seraphis Cain said:
Gah, man. Regarding "There Stands the Grass".
Surviving the explosion in Vault 22 is such a bitch. I thought you were able to hide in the back of the data room across from the vents and not take any damage? Even with the door closed, I still took fatal damage, despite the fact that the explosion didn't reach into the room. Only way I survived is by hotkeying Stimpaks and wasting like 8 of the damn things. Oddly enough, Veronica was in the same room as me, CLOSER to the door, and took no damage. What the fucking hell.

Also, give Veronica some Brotherhood armor and she's a fucking BEAST. I barely have to do any actual fighting anymore. :lol

You're not wrong, she is so powerful.

I remember thinking early on when I recruited her "Oh great, a melee fighter in Fallout, this will end well" the next enemy I encountered she promptly ran over and punched it to death, that was me firmly put in my place :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The only thing I hate about having Veronica around is that sometimes I won't even know there's an enemy nearby, then out of nowhere BOOOOOOM, and it switches to the close-up of an enemy getting their head punched off.

Never fails to scare the shit outta me. :lol

Magnalon

Neo Member
Just beat it the other day for the fourth time - all endings complete plus 1 hardcore run, and Dead Money runs.

During all my playthroughs, I'd say I averaged 4 lockups, and 1 potentially game breaking glitch - but since I was used to saving all the time, the lockups really weren't that big of a deal.

The biggest gamebreaker was in my first playthrough (of course), when I had little experience with the game. Basically, no matter what I did, Caesar's Legion was hostile towards me, even if I ditched Boone: and I had to meet Caesar for a major story quest involving Mr. House.

So basically, even though my character wasn't combat oriented at the time, I had to run through the entire Legion camp, grab something, and run out to complete my main story questline - it took me two hours.

Other than that, it was a great experience. The writing, IMO, is superior to Fallout 3, and the stock ending, although lame in the regard that it ends an open world game, is HEAPS better than Fallout 3's (I mean, the Legate is ten times better than Colonel Autumn, who goes down in one shot!).

@Veronica
She was the last companion I ever picked up to mess around with, but she was pretty awesome. I was always a fan of Boone and his godly sniper damage - especially in Hardcore mode, where melee fighters can die easily, and once they die, they're gone forever.

Kazzy

More or less all the companions are a liability in Hardcore mode. Whenever I was just wondering the Mojave I would take them with me but when I would carry on with the story, especially towards the end I would go solo as it was too difficult to keep them alive.

The Legion were a big no-no for me with companions, they just can't handle melee combat properly, the enemies quickly become too powerful and large in numbers for them to survive.

Dyno

Nearly at Level 25. Looking for some more quests to do before beginning Act 3. It's a bit of a problem because the NCR hates me and there are sooooo many quests that originate with them.

Some of the late game weaponry is pretty great though. I'm loving the 12.7mm submachine gun, the Trail Carbine the Anti-Material - to say nothing of the explosive weapons. That's what is keeping the game fresh.

Dorrin

I'm 53 hours in and its starting to wear on me a bit. I'm almost level 24, I had thought to go for the level 30 achievement but now... I'm ready to confront Benny at the Tops after I finish up Volaire quest lines. Does anyone know how much experiencing I'm still looking at? Can I make to 30 just doing the main story line from now on?

Aaron

Dorrin said:
I'm 53 hours in and its starting to wear on me a bit. I'm almost level 24, I had thought to go for the level 30 achievement but now... I'm ready to confront Benny at the Tops after I finish up Volaire quest lines. Does anyone know how much experiencing I'm still looking at? Can I make to 30 just doing the main story line from now on?
Maybe. There's quite a bit that opens up in the game only after you confront Benny. The game actually expects you to do it early on from the dialogue and such.

ElFly

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:

Is it really the patch's fault? On the PS3, the game becomes more glitchier the bigger your save is, just as in FO3, but in NV the savefile grows faster, probably due to the extra data it manages (factions/food/etc).

Magnalon

Neo Member
Dorrin said:

53 hours in and confronting Benny? Holy shit! That's usually at the 5-6 hour mark.

Yea, you have around 6-8 hours left of the main game, regardless of who's storyline you wish to fulfill. If memory serves me correctly, the Yes Man's questline is the shortest, followed by Mr. House.

I find it interesting that the speech checks for confronting Benny point toward being level 5-6 when meeting him.

By the time I met him, I too was at ~50hrs in and around level 26 or 27. I don't understand how you could just randomly go to the Tops, and not explore all the great areas around New Vegas first.

Magnalon

Neo Member
This is how I do every open world game:

I do enough of the main quest where I'm happy with where I want my character to be, THEN I go willy nilly, and literally explore every single area in the entire game. I'm OCD: I want my character to have a decent revolver - I wanted to find an area, that ended up being Gun Runners, where I could go back and get revolver ammo when I wanted it - I wanted a duster - I wanted to find "my" companion.

So I ended up getting the Mysterious Magnum, Boone, and Ranger Veteran Armor, and I was in heaven. Usually, the main questline is the easiest way to level up/get to the point I am comfortable with.

I can't speak for everyone else though.

Gorgon

Could anyone tell me how this game compares to FO3? I'm not so much interested in the mechanical improvements and little teeks, but more on quality of the storyline, the written dialogue, choices/consequences, etc. Seying how many people were expecting this game to be such an improvement above Bethesda's version because it was from Obsidian, I'm curious to know how it actually turned out. Thanks.

EDIT: I'm really just trying to avoid reading through the entire thread when I just want a few, brief, unbiased comparisons.

(._.)

Banned
Guys I have a problem. I'm using the PC version so it should be able to be fixed.

I'm trying to go to Caesar's Legion but I can't go in since they hate me so much. I have tried using a disguise and setting my reputation to idolized but they still seem to attack me. What should I do?

(._.) said:
Guys I have a problem. I'm using the PC version so it should be able to be fixed.

I'm trying to go to Caesar's Legion but I can't go in since they hate me so much. I have tried using a disguise and setting my reputation to idolized but they still seem to attack me. What should I do?

Are you bringing Boone with you? That's a no-no.

(._.)

Banned
HadesGigas said:
Are you bringing Boone with you? That's a no-no.
No. I'm actually by myself. I don't even recall pissing them off. I used the console to get them to idolize me but whenever I take off the gear they start attacking. Even if I have the attire on some of the members in the camp start attacking me.

(._.) said:
No. I'm actually by myself. I don't even recall pissing them off. I used the console to get them to idolize me but whenever I take off the gear they start attacking. Even if I have the attire on some of the members in the camp start attacking me.

I dunno.

Did you go along far enough in the main quest so you got the Mark of Caesar? That should keep them from attacking you.

(._.)

Banned
HadesGigas said:
I dunno.

Did you go along far enough in the main quest so you got the Mark of Caesar? That should keep them from attacking you.
How do I check? I'm pretty sure they have talked to me saying that I "bear the mark."

(._.) said:
How do I check? I'm pretty sure they have talked to me saying that I "bear the mark."

It's given to you on the strip when you exit a casino once you've paid a visit to Mr. House, it should be in your misc inventory as an undroppable item.

Hyunkel6

However, depending on what you did, the legion can still be hostile towards you even if you carry the mark (For example, if you killed
Vulpes
when he gives you the mark).

hemtae

(._.) said:
Yes I do have it. I don't recall if I killed Vulpes or not though. Is there any way of checking?

He should be around the strip somewhere. If you killed him in Nipton, then a guy named Alerio would have been the one to give you the mark

grumble

I'm most of the way through the game. I hit one noticeable bug every 20-30 minutes, and it crashes on me ever hour or so. This game should not have passed Sony's of MS's QA process. It's still kind of fun.

Magnalon

Neo Member
Gorgon said:
Could anyone tell me how this game compares to FO3? I'm not so much interested in the mechanical improvements and little teeks, but more on quality of the storyline, the written dialogue, choices/consequences, etc. Seying how many people were expecting this game to be such an improvement above Bethesda's version because it was from Obsidian, I'm curious to know how it actually turned out. Thanks.

EDIT: I'm really just trying to avoid reading through the entire thread when I just want a few, brief, unbiased comparisons.

Better writing.

Companions that follow you the entire game.

More glitches.

Less interesting places to visit/less "big" quests - things are more nuanced in New Vegas.

More "western" gunplay as opposed to Fallout 3's "post apoc/laser" weapons. Same goes for the armor.

A more robust crafting system.

The ability to turn on or off "wacky encounters" like Fallout 3's crashed alien ship - you have the option of having a more serious experience, or a goofier one.

Same "it ends when it ends" ending - however, instead of having one real ending with a minor choice at the end, you get FOUR different distinct ways to progress and end the game.

Better overall plan for intertwining DLC packs.

(._.)

Banned
hemtae said:
He should be around the strip somewhere. If you killed him in Nipton, then a guy named Alerio would have been the one to give you the mark
Can't find him. Either way is there a way to fix this?

Gorgon

Magnalon said:
Better writing.

Companions that follow you the entire game.

More glitches.

Less interesting places to visit/less "big" quests - things are more nuanced in New Vegas.

More "western" gunplay as opposed to Fallout 3's "post apoc/laser" weapons. Same goes for the armor.

A more robust crafting system.

The ability to turn on or off "wacky encounters" like Fallout 3's crashed alien ship - you have the option of having a more serious experience, or a goofier one.

Same "it ends when it ends" ending - however, instead of having one real ending with a minor choice at the end, you get FOUR different distinct ways to progress and end the game.

Better overall plan for intertwining DLC packs.

Thanks, that was helpful :)

- Locations that offer more than one quest, but define themselves with the people involved moreso than "I did that quest there". Most places have many people with many problems or unique dialogs.

- Faction system. Your actions towards local groups vying for life in the Mojave Wasteland effect how you're seen. Help one group and its enemies dislike you, harm another and balance it, something like eight shades of "reputation" that range from good to bad to neutral to little bit of both, depending on you.

- As opposed to having Speech and Charisma opening dialog options, all dialog options are open with characters. As a result, there's more req's for advanced discussion, but you're allowed to see it. Also, it destroys FO3's system of "I hope I just have enough Charisma or Speech to make this person do their unique Speech Bonus" to unlock things in quests. Probably my favorite addition.

- Crafting custom ammo, food from the land, weapons, items, modifications for weapons, ammo types for each weapons.

- Stats re-write. You will more than likely not be able to make a character that is great at a LOT of things, which means character builds are truly that - objective based on playthrough. I know some people on here either find all of the stat books or look them up on the internet, but to be honest, in 70 hours of playthrough I've found four of them.

- Think more "civilization" than "ruins". There are plenty of people and sanctioned areas of control.

Magnalon

Neo Member
Gorgon said:
Thanks, that was helpful :)

Also, an added Hardcore mode that offers a different experience to, well, hardcore gamers, haha. You have to eat, drink, and sleep periodically, and there are other nuances like ammo has weight.

And no problem. It took me an entire playthrough to warm up to Fallout 3 - I wasn't truly enjoying it until my second time around. But it only took around 2 hours for me to warm up to New Vegas.

Gorgon

Thanks to all for the imput. I enjoyed FO3 quite a bit, especially because I've been extremely tired of the usual dwarfs n' elves derivative settings of most western RPGs especially by Bioware and Bethesda. However I wasn't really thinking about diping into FO:NV unless there was a clear improvement in aproach to the game, especially the dialogue and storyline quality. I will probably dip for this one now.

Thank you all for the imput.

:lol I do have a problem with how buggy these games can be but occasionally you get a bug that makes it all worth it.

Right now I'm running around with my character in their underwear with a red beret on (female character) I warped back into Goodsprings and got nailed by a squad of legionaries. So when I reload, all 5-6 of them reloaded with me and are now in the middle of the desert away from the town, all in thier underwear as well, and they have the same health they had when I died. They seem just as confused about the situation as me.

Dyno

Bleed Me Dry is turning out to be a fun sidequest. It starts at The Thorn, which is in Westside. You wind up going to the farther reaches of the map on hunting expeditions and each time the creatures get bigger and tougher.

Fire Geckos down. I wonder what's next?

Top Bottom