• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu asks Japanese developers what game they would add to the Super Famicom Mini

Forkball

Lkz1jQT.jpg

The Super Famicom Mini came out today in Japan, along with a special Famitsu issue about this mythical device no one can find and only legends speak of. Most of it is reprints of old Famitsu Super Famicom coverage, but there is an interview with the designers of the SFC Mini (which is probably enlightening but I wanted to post this thread first) and a feature where they ask several prominent Japanese developers what game they would like to add to the SFC Mini. They give a short explanation why, but a lot boils down to them thinking it was amazing at the time.

Arc System Works:
Daisuke Ishiwatari: Otogirisou (sound novel)
Toshimichi Mori: Xardian

Capcom:
Shintaro Kojima: Umihara Kawase
Hiroyuki Kobayashi: International Superstar Soccer
Ryouzo Tsujimoto: Earthbound
Kaname Fujioka: Earthbound

Atlus:
Katsura Hashino: R-Type III
Kazuyuki Yamai: Actraiser

Koei Tecmo
Kenichi Ogasawara: Tactics Ogre
Keisuke Kikuchi: Mystery Dungeon 2
Tomokazu Takeda: Torneko's Mystery Dungeon
Yosuke Hayashi: Actraiser

Square Enix
Ryutaro Ichimura: Front Mission
Yoshinori Matase: Sim City
Yosuke Saito: Wonder Project J
Naoki Yoshida: Tactics Ogre

Spike Chunsoft
Kotaro Uchikoshi: Banshee's Last Cry (Kamaitachi no Yoru)
Kazutaka Kodaka: Romancing Saga 2/Marvel Super Heroes in War of the Gems/SOS
Yoshinori Terasawa: He can't pick and lists a dozen, follow the rules!

Sega
Yosuke Okunari: Otogirisou
Toshihiro Nagoshi: Pilotwings
Mizuki Hosoyamada: Super Puyo Puyo

Bandai Namco:
Youzou Sakagami: Sim City
Yusuke Tomizawa: Cybernator
Katsuhiro Harada: Super Momotaro Dentetsu II

Platinum Games:
Atsushi Inaba: Chrono Trigger
Hideki Kamiya: Cybernator

Marvelous:
Kenichiro Takaki: Actraiser
Yoshifumi Hashimoto: Space Megaforce

One per company:
Hiroshi Matsuyama (CyberConnect2): Chrono Trigger
Masahiro Sakurai (Sora): Gradius III
Masataka Matsuura (Furyuu): Bounty Sword
Tsunekazu Ishihara (The Pokemon Company): Sound Fantasy (Unreleased game)
Chiyomura Shikura (Mages): Pilotwings
Akihiro Hino (Level 5): Another World

Some interesting answers. A lot of Actraiser love. Though come on Spike Chunsoft. One picks his own game, another picks three games, and another picks twelve. Also, among the Famitsu staff, Tactics Ogre got the most votes for game they would like to add.

ASaiyan

Banned
Platinum and CyberConnect2 make the right call and have my respect. Ditto for the Capcom guys who want Mother 2 on the Japanese system.

Sophia

Lots of love for Tactics Ogre, Mother 2, and Actraiser it seems. I'm actually surprised Actraiser wasn't included as is.

chrono01

Those Earthbound mentions, I bet they're jealous of the NA/EU SNES Classic (but I'm jealous for Goemon, so it evens out).

Nice to see both Actraiser and (most importantly) Chrono Trigger listed. I seriously cannot believe the latter didn't make it, but then they already do have quite a few RPG's on the system so they probably wanted a little variety. Even still, it's Chrono Trigger...

:(

RRockman

Banned
Kotaro Uchikoshi(Infinity series, Zero escape): Banshee's Last Cry (Kamaitachi no Yoru)

Guy has good taste in VNs lol

I never thought Kodaka (Danganronpa) was into Marvel Super Heroes though.

Neff

Actraiser and Pilotwings were two of SFC's key showstoppers around launch. You couldn't mention Super Famicom at the time without discussing them. They both really should have been on it.

batfax

Sound Fantasy would've been really cool. Mostly just because, like Star Fox 2, I feel like the best selling point of these things is easily the unreleased games finally coming to light... though I think it would really need some way to share music to shine. At least Sim Tunes files still work (at least, as of Windows 7).

eastx

Another World would be a waste given how it's so cheaply available in a better edition on other platforms. It was an amazing SNES game for its time, though.

Actraiser, Pilotwings, and Turtles in Time are the titles I really wish the Mini had. And Legend of the Mystical Ninja should've been included in English systems too.

traveler

Not Wario
Was this supposed to be a personal choice/game they enjoyed a lot or what one additional title they feel best completes a collection of essential SNES games?

I feel like Chrono Trigger has to be the answer for the latter, but I'd personally like to the see the Quintet titles added. An American playable Act Raiser would have been amazing.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
SIM CITY
SIM CITY
SIM CITY
SIM CITY

They are right you know.
Best time waster on the snes.
Also dirt cheap to get on ebay.

I think that the wide variety of titles listed with no one title being repeated ad nauseum shows that Nintendo did a pretty good job of getting the biggest and most important games on the system.

For some reason I thought Actraiser was included.

I'm surprised Japan didn't get Mother 2 / Earthbound. Chrono Trigger is maybe the biggest missing title for all regions. Could swap it out for Secret of Mana pretty easily (considering you can't really 3 Player it), but I suppose SoM brings more diverse gameplay when compared to FF6.

Shame the US/EU didn't get Tetris Attack, but I guess they would've had to edit out all the unnecessary "Tetris" branding.

SimCity! It was a shockingly good console version of a thing that had no right to have a console version of. By today's standards we'd call it an equivalent to a console game > f2p mobile game transition downgrade. Not that many features and dramatically simplified, but it made up for it with charm and a Bowser disaster.

As to how 90% of those responses aren't Chrono Trigger, we'll never know. Though I suppose it speaks volumes of the quality of the retail product if one of the "negatives" people gripe about is it only having 3 GOTG-tier RPGs instead of 4.

massoluk

Banned
Actraiser and Pilotwings were two of SFC's key showstoppers around launch. You couldn't mention Super Famicom at the time without discussing them. They both really should have been on it.
To be fair, there are like 2 dozen more games that should be in it

Nice to see some love doe Cybernator... also Gradius III... I loved that game despite all the slowdown. My number one would be Rock N' Roll Racing.

Wtf. Is that a mario/bubsy hybrid? Mubsy?!?

Absolutely disgusting.

No, that's Nubsy... Didn't you notice the "N" on the hat?

Top Bottom