• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu polls Japan for their top 10 most memorable games per console

Rongolian

Banned
The surprise for me here is Final Fantasy V being votes higher than VI or IV on SNES. I really need to get around to playing a translated version of that game sometime!

Scipio

Do the Japanese ever play non-Japanese games? They're missing out. (however, a lot of votes for Uncharted 4.)

Also, Final Fantasy is really not that good.

I would hope the most iconic JRPG ever is more memorable than 9.
Pretty sure that's Pokémon Red/Blue, I'd even put CT above it.

Drakengard 1 being the 10th most memorable PS2 game is the best.

If there's any word to describe that game, its definitely memorable.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Heck yeah The Idolm@ster! Though not really surprising if you followed sales and merchandising.

Aeana

The surprise for me here is Final Fantasy V being votes higher than VI or IV on SNES. I really need to get around to playing a translated version of that game sometime!

FF5 (and FF3 earlier) represented very major milestones for the series in Japan in terms of sales and exposure, so it doesn't surprise me at all.

marmoka

Banned
I didn't know Famitsu loved Shin Megami Tensei that much, but there's no love for Metroid. Glad Super Mario Sunshine is not on that list.

DJIzana

Surprised no Mother 2 for SNES or FFT or Legend of Dragoon for PS1. Heck, even any of the Wild Arms games.

Solid list otherwise though.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Nier was out of left field, holy shit.

doax on xbox was.. predictable.

Sesha

I didn't know Famitsu loved Shin Megami Tensei that much, but there's no love for Metroid. Glad Super Mario Sunshine is not on that list.

SMT has a very dedicated fan base. Metroid has never been a huge seller, and is mostly popular in the West.

Aeana

That's really weird considering how IV ended up soaking so much more attention from SE over the years.

That's mainly because FF4's lead designer is still a prominent figure at Square Enix. He pushed for the remakes and sequels because he'd direct them. Meanwhile, FF5 was a project that had heavier involvement from Sakaguchi than FF4, and whose lead designer is MIA after FF12, probably working as a janitor somewhere.

tesqui

Japan's really into Dragon Quest huh? I still have no idea what that game is. I kind of want to check it out.

Koren

And now I see it. The real reason the Dreamcast failed: they never translated those Sakura Taisen games.
I partly worked on something related to translating ST games.

It's an awfully complex game to translate (lots of text, cultural content, wordplays that doesn't translate well at all... The concept of hiding a military division under a theater troup is linked to the fact that "kagekidan" can have those two meanings). And I'm not sure it would have been welcome to the west.

Still, seeing it everywhere makes me sad that it's nearly dead now. Should they launch a kickstarter on Sakura Taisen VI like Shenmue 3, I could see myself backing $500+ easily ^_^

MacTag

Banned
I wish they'd have gone a bit deeper on the older side if the industry. Would be nice to also see MSX, NeoGeo, WonderSwan, SG1000/Mark III, Game Gear and NGP at least. I mean some of those systems were more popular than any of the Xboxes and all had big enough libraries to get an interesting top 10.

TheJoRu

Japan has good taste in games, at least the people who were polled. A bit surprised at the original Smash Bros. beating out SM64 and OoT, though.

MacTag

Banned
Also interesting is how 1st party heavy some lists are.

FC: 6
PCE: 8
MD: 9
GB: 6
SFC: 3
SS: 6
PS: 1
N64: 9
DC: 9
PS2: 0
GBA: 6
GC: 6
XBox: 1
DS: 6
PSP: 0
360: 3
PS3: 3
Wii: 8
3DS: 4
Vita: 3
Wii U: 9
PS4: 2
One: 2

Average by manufacturer.

Nintendo: 6.3
Hudson/NEC: 8
Sega: 8
Sony: 1.5
Microsoft: 2

JRW

I remember being entranced with FF VII, spent well over 100 hours playing it too.

The game timer stops at 99:59 so not sure how many actual hours I spent playing it.

Looking at the 3DS list makes me a bit sad cause we don't officially have Monster Hunter Generations or SMT4 Apocalypse yet.

Other than that I genuinely like these lists.

Also the amount of Splatoon votes compared to all the other WiiU games is hilarious.

Javier

Go Splatoon go!

Biggest surprise is the lack of The World Ends With You on DS. Was that game not received well in Japan or something?

MacTag

Banned
Also the amount of Splatoon votes compared to all the other WiiU games is hilarious.
Splatoon's the 5th highest voted game on any system. Only MHFU, FFX, FFVII and Pokemon RG are ahead of it. Really crazy it even came in ahead of Super Mario Bros.

Top Bottom