• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu interviews Nomura at E3 - More details on KH3 and FFXV

Voror

What else would SE have coming out next year besides XV if it does come out? I'm thinking Thief and maybe KH 2.5. Anything else I'm missing?

Mario007

What else would SE have coming out next year besides XV if it does come out? I'm thinking Thief and maybe KH 2.5. Anything else I'm missing?
Murdered: Soul Suspect (or however that game is called), FF XIV PS4 and Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy.

Voror

Murdered: Soul Suspect (or however that game is called), FF XIV PS4 and Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy.

Isn't LR a 2013 release or was that just conjecture? So if that is the case then they'd potentially have 5 games out that year, which is pretty good in my eyes.

synce

Just look at how fucking pretty the game looks and how long it's been under development. OF COURSE they're going to split it into 3 chunks and sell it separately, with lots of costume DLC.

at least Noctis is interesting unlike Lightning
still get 15 into my hands first before talk of sequels
that KH3 AI talk

you know what that means folks
a secret boss who will kick our ass even more so then Mysterious Figure

Mario007

Isn't LR a 2013 release or was that just conjecture? So if that is the case then they'd potentially have 5 games out that year, which is pretty good in my eyes.
It is in Japan, but it's 2014 in the west. Come to think of it Versus could be the same since it doesn't look as if they started the localisation yet.

Voror

Just look at how fucking pretty the game looks and how long it's been under development. OF COURSE they're going to split it into 3 chunks and sell it separately, with lots of costume DLC.

Oh, please no. This is my fear for the game at this point honestly aside from all the other stuff there is to worry about.

at least Noctis is interesting unlike Lightning
still get 15 into my hands first before talk of sequels
that KH3 AI talk

you know what that means folks
a secret boss who will kick our ass even more so then Mysterious Figure

Relating that back to XV, I hope we have things like secret bosses or optional fights like in KH or even the old FF games. It was always fun doing all those.

It is in Japan, but it's 2014 in the west. Come to think of it Versus could be the same since it doesn't look as if they started the localisation yet.

Ah, alright. I've been wondering on the localization as well. Given that SE seems to be pushing for this to be their next big step and revival for FF, I feel like it'd be more likely to see the releases between the Japanese version and the version overseas to be fairly close together. Or I hope. Because I might feel tempted to import.

near

Gold Member
Nomura: I know there are many fans who are restless because we have only released spin off titles since KHII, so I decided to announce it along with FFXV. Looking at the stage of development, though, I do think perhaps it is a bit early to be announcing

We're restless to play your games, not restless for announcements we already know are coming. I look forward to playing both FFXV and KH3 after a couple more delays and dozens of other SE releases in-between.

Voror

At the very least, he seems to be aware of how much we want both titles after waiting a whole generation for them.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think FFXV is next year since this game is supposedly far into development already. Plus what's SE's big title for FY2014-2015? Only Murdered: Soul Suspects and Thief?

Voror

I think FFXV is next year since this game is supposedly far into development already. Plus what's SE's big title for FY2014-2015? Only Murdered: Soul Suspects and Thief?

Thief probably. Perhaps LR, though I don't consider it such. XIV 2.0 possibly, but it will already be out on PC and PS3.

I'm not sure what M:SS is considered honestly.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So was kitase retired and now nomura is in charge of mainline ff titles? from bad to worse :(

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Thief probably. Perhaps LR, though I don't consider it such. XIV 2.0 possibly, but it will already be out on PC and PS3.

I'm not sure what M:SS is considered honestly.

Fiscal years start at March and end at the March of the following year. Lightning Returns is still for FY2013-2014 (Feb release) and so is FFXIV.

Voror

So was kitase retired and now nomura is in charge of mainline ff titles? from bad to worse :(

What gave you that impression? Thus far, his first mainline title is XV. And I'd imagine afterwards he'll focus on KH3 and perhaps sequels to XV. I don't quite see why it would be a bad thing either.

I'd imagine the next mainline would be with someone like Itou perhaps, but with Nomura again? That seems unlikely.

Fiscal years start at March and end at the March of the following year. Lightning Returns is still for FY2013-2014 (Feb release) and so is FFXIV.

Ah, alright then. So yeah, XV being in the next FY seems reasonable to suspect unless delays occur.

Famassu

They aren't cutting one game into pieces, that's not how game development works. I very much doubt there will be a "to be continued" at the end of the game, but they might tell another story within the same world. The fact that they are just "thinking about it" at the moment proves that FFXV itself will be a game with a clear beginning and an end that don't leave you hanging.

Soriku

No? Kitase is working on Lightning Returns. Nomura is just in charge of XV/Versus, as he's been for the past 7 years. I doubt Nomura will be directing XVI.

OryoN

So if I understand correctly, the battle scenes - in the trailer they showed - was actually a movie of the real time stuff they had running within their development environment (which presumably involves porting from PC to consoles)? I was hoping that it was actual realtime stuff on the console's hardware. This, ( along with X, The Division, Bayonetta 2, and Titan Fall) was one of my top 5 console game showings at e3, so that's a bit disappointing.

I'm not sure how to take the statement about them having difficulties running it in the hardware due to the tools, and that they are hoping to get it running just as good in the end. Knowing how excited devs get at the start of every gen and then fall a bit short with their initial efforts, I'm a bit skeptical now. I'm sure the final product will look very similar, but I expect to see some downgrades here and there, unless they plan to launch 2015 or beyond.

- He is aware that for large scale console development projects, there might be a need to keep people interested in the long term with online elements rather than just offer a short term single player experience. There are no concrete plans as of yet but he's looking at all possibilities to see what fits.
Ok, this sounds ok. Another website's translation made it seem like the game could be beaten in a short time, and they would need to extend playtime with online.

But if it's just additional and the single player mode is still completely fleshed out, then fine. Having an online mode might keep people interested while they're waiting 5 years for a sequel. :p

Voror

Ok, this sounds ok. Another website's translation made it seem like the game could be beaten in a short time, and they would need to extend playtime with online.

But if it's just additional and the single player mode is still completely fleshed out, then fine. Having an online mode might keep people interested while they're waiting 5 years for a sequel. :p

Yeah, that was my fear as well since a short FF just wouldn't feel right at all.

I'm curious how online would actually work. It seems like it could get chaotic if you had people warping around each other constantly, if they chose to go such a route. That might be kind of cool too.

Verendus

Banned
Kitase does a lot of things. He's a busy man. He's also preparing a different project at the moment with quite a small team. No confirmed director on that nor will there be for a good long while, but he's taking a direct hand in leading it at the moment because it's quite important.

Stark

Banned
Kitase does a lot of things. He's a busy man. He's also preparing a different project at the moment with quite a small team. No confirmed director on that nor will there be for a good long while, but he's taking a direct hand in leading it at the moment because it's quite important.

:eek: I look forward to this if he has more of a role in it.

Verendus

Banned
:eek: I look forward to this if he has more of a role in it.
71b4KSr.jpg

I'll leak it you guys first when the time is right.

ULTROS!

You know, whatever happened to this game?

I do agree, announcing KHIII at E3 was a bit too early. Or maybe the video was too much. A lot of people have already not realised it's essentially a tech demo. A tease without the heartless chasing Sora was enough, so as to avoid any "OMG THE GAME LOOKS GREAT". Smoke and mirrors, never forget. I'm delighted it's coming, but given the mess XV had, KHIII should've been left for TGS.

With all that said, I hope we do get more info on both titles come TGS. In my Mickey Mouse voice, "Oh boy!"

So if I understand correctly, the battle scenes - in the trailer they showed - was actually a movie of the real time stuff they had running within their development environment (which presumably involves porting from PC to consoles)? I was hoping that it was actual realtime stuff on the console's hardware. This, ( along with X, The Division, Bayonetta 2, and Titan Fall) was one of my top 5 console game showings at e3, so that's a bit disappointing.

I'm not sure how to take the statement about them having difficulties running it in the hardware due to the tools, and that they are hoping to get it running just as good in the end. Knowing how excited devs get at the start of every gen and then fall a bit short with their initial efforts, I'm a bit skeptical now. I'm sure the final product will look very similar, but I expect to see some downgrades here and there, unless they plan to launch 2015 or beyond.

I thought that was in relation to the trailer only or maybe KH3. It was a bit confusing. The gameplay trailer was running real time, not sure if it was on PC or consoles though. Unbelievable if they haven't got anything running on PS4 though.

Shinta

Banned
Sounds pretty awesome on all fronts. XV and KH3 rival production. Vita name drop. Luminous engine progressing well. Development being streamlined to become easier. More footage on the way for both games from now on, starting with TGS.

Can't find anything to be upset about really.

LR is nearly done, XIV is nearly shipped, Drakengard 3 and Thief on the way too.

Good times.

Famassu

I do agree, announcing KHIII at E3 was a bit too early. Or maybe the video was too much. A lot of people have already not realised it's essentially a tech demo. A tease without the heartless chasing Sora was enough, so as to avoid any "OMG THE GAME LOOKS GREAT". Smoke and mirrors, never forget. I'm delighted it's coming, but given the mess XV had, KHIII should've been left for TGS.

With all that said, I hope we do get more info on both titles come TGS. In my Mickey Mouse voice, "Oh boy!"
XV's development was a "mess" because it was announced way too early and other projects took precedence over it even after they did start work on it (and after both XIII & XIV somewhat failed, even more projects were given precedence over it since they needed some cashflow while XIV 2.0 was being worked on, hence the FFXIII saga with its recycled assets & stuff).

At this point, Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III ARE being focused on and Kingdom Hearts III is actually in development already (and probably has been since DDD was done a year ago). KHIII will probably be THE big title after FFXV. Plus the fans who don't mind reliving the past games have 1.5 & 2.5 to look forward to while they wait & get ready for KHIII. It's not like with Versus/XV when some people who didn't like FFXIII & the rest had nothing to fall back on.

Toth

XV's development was a "mess" because it was announced way too early and other projects took precedence over it even after they did start work on it (and after both XIII & XIV somewhat failed, even more projects were given precedence over it since they needed some cashflow while XIV 2.0 was being worked on, hence the FFXIII saga with its recycled assets & stuff).

At this point, Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III ARE being focused on and Kingdom Hearts III is actually in development already (and probably has been since DDD was done a year ago). KHIII will probably be THE big title after FFXV. Plus the fans who don't mind reliving the past games have 1.5 & 2.5 to look forward to while they wait & get ready for KHIII. It's not like with Versus/XV when some people who didn't like FFXIII & the rest had nothing to fall back on.

XIII failed? Huh? XIV, yes. XIII is one of the most successful games in their history.

Toth

Errr... No. It is FFXI and not FF XIII. FF XIII/XIII-2 actually sold lower than FF X/X-2.

I said one of the most, not the most though. Yes, that belongs to FFXI. I do believe however that sales for FFXIII itself are higher than X. My point though was that calling XIII a failure is way too inaccurate.

Toth

Unfortunately this interview casts some doubt on how powerful the engine will be with FF15. That whole awe-inspiring battle with Leviathan looked stunning but is it actually playable? I would really feel a lot better if they could release a video of them actually playing the game.

Zoe

Unfortunately this interview casts some doubt on how powerful the engine will be with FF15. That whole awe-inspiring battle with Leviathan looked stunning but is it actually playable? I would really feel a lot better if they could release a video of them actually playing the game.

Like the gameplay video?

Persona86

Banned
Supposedly Nomura watched Les Miserables and wanted to turn Versus into a musical. So glad it didn't happen. But I think he should make a whole opera show in a bulding based in a town or city you can go inside, pay the tickets and watch Nomura's opera! That would be glorious.

Supposedly Nomura watches a lot of movies, looks like another thing he has in common with Kojima.

stay gold

The game looks awesome but sequel talk is lame.

XII was a long time ago Square, you owe us a single player Ivalice/traditional FF this gen.

Famassu

XIII failed? Huh? XIV, yes. XIII is one of the most successful games in their history.
Failed from a critical acclaim POV, a large portion of the fanbase didn't like the direction it took and were very vocal about it. They DO listen to criticism, you know, and FFXIII got shittons of it. Since by the time FFXIII was released and gotten its reception, FFXV was still in its early stages (big part of that was because the team had to help finish FFXIII for a year). SQEX decided they wanted to try to recoup on some of the prolonged time wasted on FFXIII & Crystal Tool's disastrous development, so they greenlighted a sequel to XIII where they tried to fix a lot of the problems people had with XIII (but still ruined it with its horribly written & needlessly convoluted, incomprehensible storyline & ANIMUUU-Toriyama style) while they let Nomura & Co work on XV at their own pace. Then XIV 1.0 happened.

ULTROS!

Toriyama working on KH3?

Nomura: Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III being produced together creates a relationship of rivalry that will bring out the best in each. We did a private showing within the company, Tori (Editor’s Note: Toriyama? He just says Tori) has been working on Kingdom Hearts III among other things, and even though the development degree is low, we felt a real response to it

http://gematsu.com/2013/06/kingdom-hearts-iii-announced-a-little-early

Top Bottom