• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu news and reviews for 11/27/12, MH4 new weapon, Yakuza 5 40/40

I think the reason these scores hold so much weight in Japan but are scoffed in the West is that there aren't nearly as many people doing reviews in Japan as there are in other regions.

mujun

I'd love to see someone go back and check every Famitsu thread to see if there is one without "Great score for _____!" followed by "_____'s publisher obviously got their check in on time!"

To this day there still seems to be a bunch of people who have faith in Famitsu scores :(

I'd love to see someone go back and check every Famitsu thread to see if there is one without "Great score for _____!" followed by "_____'s publisher obviously got their check in on time!"

To this day there still seems to be a bunch of people who have faith in Famitsu scores :(

They aren't even really reviews though, so much as meaningless scores that are placed next to vague comments.

Maybe it's just taste.

Didn't FF13 get a 39/40?

Maybe japan just likes bad games and design.

That's probably why wii U and sony stuff have terrible OS's and backend doodads!

:p

But seriously, there surely are blogs and other gaming sites in japan that do reviews... right?

How is games journalism over there?

But seriously, there surely are blogs and other gaming sites in japan that do reviews... right?

How is games journalism over there?

... Lol.

Famitsu is a great rag, but you don't read it for opinions on games. You read it for the news and exclusives.

Gamerga was also great too, before it closed up shop earlier this year. Again though, you didn't read it for the reviews.

Dengeki Playstation is also in a similar situation. Reviews are very brief and oftentimes don't give much in the way of any real impressions. They are a bit better though when it comes to using the entire range of numbers, though not by much.

The major blogs and such don't really delve into reviews so much as they post news.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yak5 contains VF2 and TnTatsu so it already contains a 35/40 and a 33/40 game and that's before we get to the dating, dancing, UFC, crazy taxi etc stuff. Oh... and the actual game itself.

I mean - i understand people's scepticism but this game looks to be content loaded.

also - no Wii U reviews. So the first reviews i assume next week. maybe

DCharlie said:
Let's face it - regardless of Rab's outburst - the seemingly worst offender for shitty ad-funded reviews -does- seem to be Famitsu.

Can we now, as a collective, come together and call the Famitsu reviews out and just stop counting them as any recognised viable indicator of anything other than "how much ad revenue the publisher has contributed" ?

The Famitsu review text is always hilarious. They rarely say anything of any real substance about a game.

"It feels good. The tempo is nice. It's fun. You can play for a while."

That was on point.

"You can use both hands to control it, and the commands are great!"

graph.jpg

The Famitsu review text is always hilarious. They rarely say anything of any real substance about a game.

"It feels good. The tempo is nice. It's fun. You can play for a while."

Most Japanese "reviews" seem more like personal impressions and include this kind of subjective language though, from what I've seen. What is the attraction of the characters? How engrossing is it? Etc.

IrishNinja

Yakuza 5:10101010

w7XOS.jpg

i see ya'll trying to paper-champ it here (Famitsu idolmaster lolol) but you're looking at 2013's GOTY, get to know it better already

their scores are often paid for but we all know sega's struggling, might just be an awesome game they got here

Yak5 contains VF2 and TnTatsu so it already contains a 35/40 and a 33/40 game and that's before we get to the dating, dancing, UFC, crazy taxi etc stuff. Oh... and the actual game itself.

I mean - i understand people's scepticism but this game looks to be content loaded.

thank you

Top Bottom