• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu news and reviews for 11/27/12, MH4 new weapon, Yakuza 5 40/40

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I just didn't want to beat a dead cow,Yakuza 5 amazing demo refreshed my soul and erased the bad memories of dead souls..this is the new me.
Oh, I'm happy for you then. Hopefully the Yakuza 5 demo will do the same for me whenever I'm able to play it.

Coxy

Do Famitsu threads ever develop beyond "lol Famitsu reviews" "38/40? looks like ____ got their check in on time" or "30/40? looks like ____'s check bounced?" I've never stuck around long enough to find out.

When there's news, which is the only thing the magazine is good for

KiNeSiS

Banned
Did I Just seea Masa Hiro Chono signature Yakuza Kick delivered to two skulls @ the same time?
Holy Shit!!!! Grizzly Bear Hunting, Home Run Derby & Virtua Fighter 2 in arcade got me equally hype!
What other arcade games are available in this?

Midou

I don't trust their perfect scores, but I bet Yakuza 5 deserves it more than quite a few other 40s. It really seems to be a huge step up.

I expect it will get localized.

never understood all the hubbub that a single weapon in a game gets. abnormal

Well its not just one weapon, its a whole Weapon Class. You must not really play much Monster Hunter or you would understand. In Monster Hunter the weapon you choose determines everything about how you will play, from the speed of attacks to what kind of dodges and defense you have. So the new weapon announcements really are a big deal.

DCharlie

Banned
Yak5 contains VF2 and TnTatsu so it already contains a 35/40 and a 33/40 game and that's before we get to the dating, dancing, UFC, crazy taxi etc stuff. Oh... and the actual game itself.

I mean - i understand people's scepticism but this game looks to be content loaded.

also - no Wii U reviews. So the first reviews i assume next week. maybe

Yak5 contains VF2 and TnTatsu so it already contains a 35/40 and a 33/40 game and that's before we get to the dating, dancing, UFC, crazy taxi etc stuff. Oh... and the actual game itself.

I mean - i understand people's scepticism but this game looks to be content loaded.

Who's skeptical?

tha_devil

Nineteen games have received perfect scores from Famitsu. They are listed in chronological order:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)[9]
Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast)[10]
Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., for PlayStation)[10]
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo, for Nintendo GameCube)[10]
Nintendogs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)[10]
Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)[10]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii)[11]
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008, Konami, for PlayStation 3)[12]
428: Fūsa Sareta Shibuya de (2008, Sega, for Wii)[13]
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (2009, Square Enix, for Nintendo DS)[14]
Monster Hunter Tri (2009, Capcom, for Wii)[15]
Bayonetta (2009, Sega, for Xbox 360)[16]
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009, Nintendo, for Wii)[17]
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (2010, Konami, for PlayStation Portable)[18]
Pokémon Black and White (2010, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)[19]
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011, Nintendo, for Wii)[20]
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011, Bethesda Softworks, for Xbox 360 & PlayStation 3) - the first non-Japanese game to receive a perfect score.[21]
Final Fantasy XIII-2 (2011, Square Enix, for Xbox 360 & PlayStation 3)[22]
Kid Icarus: Uprising (2012, Nintendo, for Nintendo 3DS)[23]
Yakuza 5 (2012, Sega, for PlayStation 3)[24]

Although i love the yakuza franchise, i find it hard to believe it deserves a 40/40.

Of all the games being given 40/40 by famistu, only OOT, SC, Vagrant Story, Bayonetta and Skyrim seems to be on the money.

All of the other games have issues and are simply not good enough to get the 40/40.

Shouta

I genuinely believe it was the idolmaster stuff that won them over.

"You mean I get to be a manly gangster and raise a J-Pop princess to stardom? GOTY"

Oh yeah! They added that, huh? That explains the 40. Idolmaster + Yakuza = Japan swoons.

Is there a special "lure" for Yakuza this time. I ask because even if we can take Fami scores at face value, Yakuza 5 is after all the highest grade they have awarded to any game in the series. And most of those games are good.

Is there a special "lure" for Yakuza this time. I ask because even if we can take Fami scores at face value, Yakuza 5 is after all the highest grade they have awarded to any game in the series. And most of those games are good.

Idolmaster Quest featuring Haruka.

And 5 different cities, 5 protags, I dunno it's just bigger and more varied this time I guess.

And 5 different cities, 5 protags, I dunno it's just bigger and more varied this time I guess.

Nagoshi has said that the campaign alone has 2x's the volume of Y4. And that was already a huge game. They've also thrown in a lot of attractive mini-games. A sidescroller, VF2, Taiko etc.

Road

Comgnet pre-orders were below Yakuza 4, so I guess SEGA had to go all out with the marketing.

I thought the next 40 would only be DmC.

Only Koei Tecmo still missing the 40/40 party. Well, Dynasty Warriors 8 is coming out...

E5kNp.png

Source: http://firsthour.net/editorial/the-famitsu-40-40-list-2011-perfect-score-update

Games just got better as time went on.

lol.

Aeana

also - no Wii U reviews. So the first reviews i assume next week. maybe

Well, no, it's not skepticism. It's more like, good game or not, Famitsu's review isn't indicative of anything whatsoever. I'm sure the game is great, but I'd probably still think that even if Famitsu gave it a 2. I played the demo already and had a good time with it.

Persona86

Banned

Yakuza games are games I get day 1, because if any game has your money's worth it's Yakuza, always so much to do.

Sqorgar

Banned
Nineteen games have received perfect scores from Famitsu. They are listed in chronological order:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)[9]
Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast)[10]
Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., for PlayStation)[10]
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo, for Nintendo GameCube)[10]
Nintendogs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)[10]
Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)[10]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii)[11]
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008, Konami, for PlayStation 3)[12]
428: Fūsa Sareta Shibuya de (2008, Sega, for Wii)[13]
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (2009, Square Enix, for Nintendo DS)[14]
Monster Hunter Tri (2009, Capcom, for Wii)[15]
Bayonetta (2009, Sega, for Xbox 360)[16]
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009, Nintendo, for Wii)[17]
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (2010, Konami, for PlayStation Portable)[18]
Pokémon Black and White (2010, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)[19]
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011, Nintendo, for Wii)[20]
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011, Bethesda Softworks, for Xbox 360 & PlayStation 3) - the first non-Japanese game to receive a perfect score.[21]
Final Fantasy XIII-2 (2011, Square Enix, for Xbox 360 & PlayStation 3)[22]
Kid Icarus: Uprising (2012, Nintendo, for Nintendo 3DS)[23]
Yakuza 5 (2012, Sega, for PlayStation 3)[24]
A lot of those games are pretty darn good. Maybe not perfect, but an argument can be made for excellent scores. But Final Fantasy XIII-2?

The Famitsu review text is always hilarious. They rarely say anything of any real substance about a game.

"It feels good. The tempo is nice. It's fun. You can play for a while."

Top Bottom