• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fang and Vanille...is it canon?

Kain

They were so cute together all the time. And Fang was so protective of her... better romance thatn Snow+Sera for sure. A rock with the ground is a better romance than those two, true, but this was FFXIII, the writing was all over the place anyway.

I think it's pretty clear they're a couple. Or at the very least there's absolutely nothing in the game that contradicts reading them as a couple, so it might as well be canon.

I mean, the game ends
with the two turned to crystal holding hands for eternity.
It was more romantic than anything in earlier FF games.

pizzacat

Banned
You can have a strong relationship with someone without it leading to anything romantic. I never got anything romantic out of them.

Oh they were holding hands like crystals ok yea they were a couple ofc lol

I always assumed they were just close sisters/cousins, as I have always seen them referred to with the same surname.

However if they're not related, then yeah it is pretty obvious they're a thing.

cerulily

Remember when The Last of Us: Left Behind came out, and tonnes of people tried really hard to say that they were just really good friends, and that girls sometimes kiss...
Some people just don't know it when they see it :p

Snow and Serah's relationship was believable in XIII, but it went straight to crap in XIII-2. I still haven't played LR, but yeah...best romance/friendship was between Vanille and Fang.

Snow and Serah always bothered me. Guy's a tall, big muscular dude and Serah has the physique of a 14 year old. Idk. It's weird.

As a gay dude I'm totally okay with Fang playing on my team but Vanille can fuck off.

Ugh Vanille.

zeopower6

I thought it was a sister type thing, guess people see what they wanna see.

I always thought it was implied to be deeper than that. I mean, the whole vibe of anything surrounding them is very similar to other girl x girl relationships in Japanese mediums like Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune in Sailor Moon.

The two voice actors were interviewed and they gave some general responses:
Vanille's VA said they're like sisters and Fang is protective of Vanille. Fang's VA (yesterday) said that she thinks they're sisterly but they believe SE put in undertones and basically that is is up to the player to decide.

For what it's worth, Fang was also originally a male character so it's possible that they just left the ambiguous relationship in when she was made into the Fang we know now.

Snow and Serah always bothered me. Guy's a tall, big muscular dude and Serah has the physique of a 14 year old. Idk. It's weird.

There are actually a lot of relationships like that in real life... :x

God knows what kind of secret fiction Toriyama has on these two characters buried away on his computer... *shudder*

Maybe when they're both together they dress up as lightning and think about lighting and talk about lightning and how great she is

Or that they both become lightning and then join lighting for a scissor sister session. but the real lightning is too pure to join in

Darksol

If anything, Sephiroth is an example of somebody who is asexual. There's nothing in the game to suggest any sexual preference or interest in sex whatsoever.

Chatin

I was always given the impression that they had a very close sisterhood and their bonding as kindred spirits was due to the fates they were dealt.

Hayden Pannetiere and Wladimir Klitschko

Sk5gciel.jpg

zeopower6

Fang is such a great character who gets no love.

Vanille is such a terrible character who gets way too much love.

Fang gets love by not being absolutely destroyed (along with Sazh) when it comes to critique. Vanille and Lightning have it the worst, I think. >_> Sure, Vanille is annoying and Lightning is a "stone-cold-bitch-who-doesn't-develop-at-all" but damn, some people have issues whenever those two are brought up.

Yea there are. And I'm sure Toriyama also sleeps with a Lightning print body pillow.

Those characters aren't there to reflect how people are in the real world.

Wasn't implying that, just saying that there are very many big muscly guy/small framed girl relationships out there.

Qwark

I played through 13 and quite enjoyed it, but I never once made this connection. Fang was always just the overprotective sister figure in my mind, and that's how it's going to stay.

Adaren

If anything, it only gets more official over the course of the trilogy. Square wasn't afraid of anything. They just like leaving things ambiguous so that people get more invested in it.

Anko

Fang cared only for Vanille right to the end.

I literally laughed out loud when we got a look at Fang's flashback and it featured Vanille and only Vanille. So much for that friends/allies/family/whatever talk right before that.

Savitar

Shippers: See how good friends they are. They are obviously in a relationship!

Shippers: These two people don't get along at all. But I'm going to ship them anyways.

Shippers: It's forbidden love. But you criticize my ship and I will cut you!

Silvawuff

Why the romance binary? I think it's acceptable for a friendship to be complex and deep without it needing to go all the way or no way.

Top Bottom