• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fang and Vanille...is it canon?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The very idea of such high-quality waifu material being attracted to someone other than me is disgusting. Fang and Vanille's little schoolgirl lesbian act is cute, but only as preparation for a real relationship, not in place of one.

Ah, Class S relationships.

Bladenic

Naoto isn't gay, just asexual.

And I might remember wrong, but Fang/Vanille with Light are the best because F/V get the superior -ra buffs on SYN. I don't recall if they get Haste, but Liightning does.

The very idea of such high-quality waifu material being attracted to someone other than me is disgusting. Fang and Vanille's little schoolgirl lesbian act is cute, but only as preparation for a real relationship, not in place of one.

This seems funny and people here will joke about it,but what you just describe is pretty much the definition of the "yuri-baiting" in animes or games like Atelier,Neptunia or Senran Kagura.

Different than Yuri,the yuri-baiting will keep things ambiguous or at a fanservice level,never actually adressing the questions "are they a couple?","Are they making out?","Is it Canon?" 'cause they know the audience(mostly male) still wants to imagine themselves having a chance to date them.

So the "yuri" scenes,just like you said,are just a "preparation for a real relationship".It's basicallly a mental threesome.

OT: Well they may be a couple,but at the same time japan loves to make this Sisters/brothers relationships were they are really awkwardly close for us in the west.And then you have the yuri-baiting.

In the west the only example of this that comes to mind is Frodo/Sam(maybe Harry/Hermione?).

Wazzy

Banned
This seems funny and people here will joke about it,but what you just describe is pretty much the definition of the "yuri-baiting" in animes or games like Atelier,Neptunia or Senran Kagura.

Different than Yuri,the yuri-baiting will keep things ambiguous or at a fanservice level,never actually adressing the questions "are they a couple?","Are they making out?","Is it Canon?" 'cause they know the audience(mostly male) still wants to imagine themselves having a chance to date them.

So the "yuri" scenes,just like you said,are just a "preparation for a real relationship".It's basicallly a mental threesome.

OT: Well they may be a couple,but at the same time japan loves to make this Sisters/brothers relationships were they are really awkwardly close for us in the west.And then you have the yuri-baiting.

In the west the only example of this that comes to mind is Frodo/Sam(maybe Harry/Hermione?).

Harry and Hermione definitely don't fall under that since the books only push Ron/Hermione.

Anyway It seemed Lightning Returns hinted a lot more towards them being a couple but the game is such a mess that they're not in it for that long. It's too bad LR wasn't a full party game with the cast reuniting(yeah yeah people don't like them) and having to face the last chapter together. So boring how it was all Lightning.

Taruranto

Speaking of baiting and subtext, I expect similar discussions once Tales of Zestiria comes out.

The only character I'd ever believe to be gay in Final Fantasy would probably be Kuja.

FFXI has Mayakov, and Lehko flirts with the player regardless of the genre. FFXIV also has some minor NPCs (the most obvious example is the gay couple involved in the Tonberry dungeon).

Speaking of baiting and subtext, I expect similar discussions once Tales of Zestiria comes out.
tumblr_inline_n7sfpiB1Hn1rjgxsb.gif

cafemomo

Scamco pulled a bait & switch with Alisha (who they heavily advertised prior to the release of the game)
zSIX3ik.jpg

Anyway during the game she
leaves unexpectedly and then Namco pushes out a DLC chapter for her
so she isn't the heroine that Namco PR touted her to be. Then they tried to cover their old tracks by altering her information like so;
ojvHAcm.jpg

(changed her from heroine to character)

Whatever though. ToZ is pretty boring and Alisha's 3 hour DLC is more fun than the actual main game itself

theofficefan99

Scamco pulled a bait & switch with Alisha (who they heavily advertised prior to the release of the game)
zSIX3ik.jpg

so she isn't the heroine that Namco PR touted her to be. Then they tried to cover their old tracks by altering her information like so;
ojvHAcm.jpg

Whatever though. ToZ is pretty boring and Alisha's 3 hour DLC is more fun than the actual main game itself

He wasn't referring to Alisha.

Also, honestly any complaints about Alisha are eye-roll worthy.

zSIX3ik.jpg

ojvHAcm.jpg

Oh I know about that horseshit already, I thought that post was referring to some sort of lesbian ship bait in the story, especially considering the nature of this thread.

cj_iwakura

Harry and Hermione definitely don't fall under that since the books only push Ron/Hermione.

Anyway It seemed Lightning Returns hinted a lot more towards them being a couple but the game is such a mess that they're not in it for that long. It's too bad LR wasn't a full party game with the cast reuniting(yeah yeah people don't like them) and having to face the last chapter together. So boring how it was all Lightning.

I agree, massive failure on their part. XIII still did it best.

cafemomo

It's too bad LR wasn't a full party game with the cast reuniting(yeah yeah people don't like them) and having to face the last chapter together. So boring how it was all Lightning.

I don't think a full party would work with LR's combat.

Oh I know about that horseshit already, I thought that post was referring to some sort of lesbian ship bait in the story, especially considering the nature of this thread.
oh, lol iunno, probably there was some lesbian ship bait in Zestiria. I didn't finish the main game and just played Alisha's DLC

Unironically what a lot of japanese otaku believe. Good job my blood pressure went up.

I think Fang and Vanille were definitely involved. I didn't get that kind of vibe from Chie and Yukiko, though. That one has to be the result of some major wishful thinking.

I think Fang and Vanille were definitely involved. I didn't get that kind of vibe from Chie and Yukiko, though. That one has to be the result of some major wishful thinking.
Did you miss how Yukiko's shadow called Chie a "prince", and Chie's Shadow was obsessed with controlling Yukiko with BDSM imagery.

There's definately stuff to interpret.

zeopower6

Did you miss how Yukiko's shadow called Chie a "prince", and Chie's Shadow was obsessed with controlling Yukiko with BDSM imagery.

There's definately stuff to interpret.

I think that was a combination of them being besties in addition to the incredibly overexaggerated nature of the shadows. Who else would the shadows have targeted aside from their original form's best friend?

Top Bottom