• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasia: Music Evolved Announced (Disney/Harmonix, 360/XBO, Kinect, 2014)

Welp.

The information is double welp. Too bad they couldn't stick with what Fantasia is actually about, that just makes me think less of the developers.

Yeah after Beatles: Rock Band, which is probably one of the most respectful and dedicated licensed titles I've played, I expected more from them. As I say, could still be great, but we'll see. The info so far doesn't sound very encouraging.

I guess in my heart of hearts I was kind of hoping for a platformer.

A fantasia platformer, with a slightly retro art style. I am just so deflated. I got myself way too excited at the name.

Even if they'd nailed the art direction, I'd have been on board.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I had the Fantasia game for the Mega Drive back in the day. It was awful. Which believe it or not was kinda surprising because of the general quality of Mickey Mouse games back then.

Edit; yeah Ryse, though technically it wasn't at the reveal.

Wouldn't it still be considered an "Xbox exclusive", regardless? It's different from, say, having this game on Xbox One and PC.

The 15 aren't Xbox exclusives, they are Xbox One exclusives, this is why we discount this and Fable HDmake.

It depends what songs they are. I mean if they're actually sticking to the Fantasia name, you'll have epic 10 minute orchestral arrangements from Tchaikovsky and the like.

True. I wouldn't be shocked if their rationale for the likes of Bohemian Rhapsody were also playing around with the idea of having some "Modern Classics" that have a good length to them to appeal to a bit more broad audience while also having the classic, classics.

Harmonix have a good bit of taste at least. So I don't really expect them to go wrong on the song selection or staying true to the source material though I somewhat see it as a game that might look better when we see it in motion instead of stills at the minute.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Found some more images:

fantasia-5.jpg

fantasia-6.jpg

fantasia-9.jpg

fantasia-10.jpg

fantasia-11.jpg

Site has the article down, but can still be viewed via Google Cache.

I have a USA Today in my hands right now and this is both real and a Kinect game. It's coming out for 360 and Xbone next year.

Other details:
-You are the new sorcerer's apprentice
- Kinect puts your silhouette on the screen
- "By reaching out towards the screen, you transform the objects you linger on"
- More than 25 songs
- Bohemian Rhapsody is one of them, has three different versions: original, orchestral, and 80's heavy metal ballad
- Apparently you can customize mixes and share them with others?

Umm...so...uh okay? Mickey Mouse jamming with Queen, what kind of drugs are they using? I'm glad they still have 2 other games in the works.

Tnetennba

It depends what songs they are. I mean if they're actually sticking to the Fantasia name, you'll have epic 10 minute orchestral arrangements from Tchaikovsky and the like.

If they do that then I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I'd suspect if they're using 3 versions of Bohemian Rhapsody then that's not path they're going down. Happy to be proven wrong though.

From the looks of it, they're trying to create visually distinct levels for each song. The same idea was, in part, what got Guitar Hero 7 canned, so 25 seems reasonable.

Beatles Rock Band did this and that was far and away my favourite thing they've made to date so I can see why that would work, especially in this case. I'm just hoping they aren't including just 25 songs and then a few variations on each. Either way it'll probably be pumped full of DLC before long so it isn't that big a concern.

Cartman86

Banned
Could be a new version of Fantasia and that is why it looks different. There was a Fantasia 2000. Fantasia has always looked obscure to me. Even in the same movie aesthetics would change. Adapt to the new medium at hand etc.

Linkified

Welp.

The information is double welp. Too bad they couldn't stick with what Fantasia is actually about, that just makes me think less of the developers.

Too bad TWDC doesn't have any reverence for Old Disney stuff outside of Princesses and Mickey though....it shouldn't make you think less of the developers it should make you think less of Disney though.

Brinbe

I'll wait till I actually see it to reserve judgment, seems like it's right in Harmonix's wheelhouse though.

Beatles Rock Band did this and that was far and away my favourite thing they've made to date so I can see why that would work, especially in this case. I'm just hoping they aren't including just 25 songs and then a few variations on each. Either way it'll probably be pumped full of DLC before long so it isn't that big a concern.

Good point. In that case, I can't wait for the inevitable Foo Fighters DLC.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Within each environment is a number of songs, which range from Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody' to Bruno Mars' 'Locked out of Heaven'. At launch, the game will feature tracks from more than 25 musicians, each featuring two unique remixes in addition to the original recording. The other three songs that have been announced include Avicii's 'Levels', Fun's 'Some Nights' and Kimbra's 'Settle Down'.

Bruno Mars in a Fantasia Game?!?
...BRUNO MARS IN A FANTASIA GAME?!?!??!

megalowho

I'd have to see more of this in motion, but the screens don't exactly scream Fantasia or Disney animators to me at all. And modern rock music.. hmm. Fantasia is a unique property that doesn't come around often, hope Harmonix is up to the task of handling that legacy.

Edit: Just saw the trailer. So I take it no George Gershwin, then?

Alx

I was genuinely interested until "Kinect". Goddamnit.

What did you expect exactly ? Fantasia is mostly about conducting an orchestra.
Which is a nice idea by the way, but I'm not sure it can carry a whole game. I would have expected a Disney-themed game with a Fantasia minigame among others. Most people like to pretend conducting some music, but won't spend hours doing so, unlike dancing or playing an instrument.

Spierek

Bruno Mars, Kimbra and Avicii. Also, they didn't show anything that looked like Fantasia, at all.

Hype has just plunged below sea level.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
What the fuck...

That trailer is about to top the Usher "We have no games" gif

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Damn. A Fantasia rhythm game with the right aesthetics could have been pretty great.

EDIT: and not on Kinect.

Top Bottom