• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

LilJoka

Still got problem when I connect 360 pad the Uplay UI says press A to play, but it doesn't work. This is a Uplay issue i had the same problem with the crew beta. So annoying!!!!!!!

Kinthalis

Banned
So I unplugged my USB hub, and the game loaded. Read about this solution on reddit. What even in the holy hells?

Anyway, it's running now, and I'm loving the wealth of options. Will reposrt on my performance in a bit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sucks to see so many people having problems. I bought this on GMG (Uplay version) last night and played for a bit. It runs like a dream with just about everything maxed out (just SMAA, though) and I didn't have any technical problems in my short time with it.

That opening movie, though... ugh. Low-res and tearing galore.

rybrad

So it sounds like the game still busted after the latest patch? I got it for free with my video card but don't want to go over my download cap if it is still jacked up.

rBose

Banned
So it sounds like the game still busted after the latest patch? I got it for free with my video card but don't want to go over my download cap if it is still jacked up.

They released a hotfix for issues that were brought in with the 1.6 patch (uplay only)

The game seems ok now, im talking about saving/crashing when reaching level 8 karma

Or maybe not...

"Hi

After the little Patch from Today the Saving works now.
But now i´ve got Problems with my Mousebuttons (Not Mousebuttons 1+2)
The Sidebuttons won´t work since the last 39MB patch
Mouse is a Logitech G5 Laser
Yesterday the Mouse works fine...and in other Games its All OK

So please Fix this Mousebutton Problem"

lol

Kabuto

Borderless mode is broken for me. It zooms in so much that I can only see the top left of the screen :/ Windowed mode works fine though so it's not the worst bug ever.

Megasoum

Banned
They released a hotfix for issues that were brought in with the 1.6 patch (uplay only)

The game seems ok now, im talking about saving/crashing when reaching level 8 karma

Or maybe not...

"Hi

After the little Patch from Today the Saving works now.
But now i´ve got Problems with my Mousebuttons (Not Mousebuttons 1+2)
The Sidebuttons won´t work since the last 39MB patch
Mouse is a Logitech G5 Laser
Yesterday the Mouse works fine...and in other Games its All OK

So please Fix this Mousebutton Problem"

lol

All my mouse buttons still work just fine here this afternoon.

rBose

Banned
Played for 2 hours today, not a single problem with the exception of the fps drops when driving around. Everytime I see a car or any kind of vehicle that is faster than the "sprint" of the player i'm like ... errmm... no thanks....
Fascinated about the effect of fps lag on the human mind lol

Perhaps a stupid question but ill ask it anyway, but first, some background.

I purchased the game on release, played it for about 3 hours, liked it but got distracted by DA:I

I had been sure to update the game with patches but didn't actually play again.

After downloading the patch that messed up the saves (i know there is a subsequent Uplay patch to fix that) i gave the game ago and noticed i was having frequent micro stutters. Things will be fine and them it just freezes for a second or two then starts again. This was happening pretty often when moving around. Is this normal? (normal for an Ubi game i mean).

I'm also on the latest Nvidia beta drivers (the ones for imrpovmenrs for Elite i beleive).

I'm playing on:

780Ti Classi
4770k @4.4
16gb 2400mhz RAM
1440p G-Sync ROG Swift

rBose

Banned
Perhaps a stupid question but ill ask it anyway, but first, some background.

I purchased the game on release, played it for about 3 hours, liked it but got distracted by DA:I

I had been sure to update the game with patches but didn't actually play again.

After downloading the patch that messed up the saves (i know there is a subsequent Uplay patch to fix that) i gave the game ago and noticed i was having frequent micro stutters. Things will be fine and them it just freezes for a second or two then starts again. This was happening pretty often when moving around. Is this normal? (normal for an Ubi game i mean).

I'm also on the latest Nvidia beta drivers (the ones for imrpovmenrs for Elite i beleive).

I'm playing on:

780Ti Classi
4770k @4.4
16gb 2400mhz RAM
1440p G-Sync ROG Swift

That's perfectly fine and I'm not sarcastic.

The game is fucked

Vuze

Yeah well, so much for that. 1.6 Game crashed after 40min with whitescreen and even took my browser with it. It's so frustrating... I'd really enjoy the game if I didn't have to save every 5min because I fear a crash...

Might give in soon and wait until I get myself a PS4 next year to play it...

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody knows if there's a way to run RivaTuner and still get the UPlay overlay? Right now the only way for me to get the overlay to work is to exit RivaTuner... But I need it to cap my fps to 30...ugh

Rizzi

So uh.. Bought the pc version.
Um.. Why exactly does it run like hot trash for me?
i5 4460 3.2 Ghz, gtx 770 2GB, 8 GB 1600 Mhz ddr3 ram.
Horrible stuttering, sub 30 on high.

Megasoum

Banned

I have a similar setup and I run it on ultra with everything maxed out (even the special NVIDIA features) locked at 30fps without too much problems.

You need to do the mimap fix to get rid of the stutering though...but that's just a prereq for everybody no matter what hardware you use.

This is exactly my setup, and exactly the issue I'm having. Blehhhhh. So discouraging.

It *sort of* helped when I moved the game to an SSD and also turned all the graphics down to "0. no graphics. none graphics." But like... our rigs are well above the minimum AND recommended specs for the game. Inexcusable.

Rizzi

Okay, so vsync off helps. Game runs.. acceptably with it off, but the second I turn it on everything goes to hell. Never had that happen before.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Anybody knows if there's a way to run RivaTuner and still get the UPlay overlay? Right now the only way for me to get the overlay to work is to exit RivaTuner... But I need it to cap my fps to 30...ugh

In RTSS, try adding FarCry4.exe as its own profile and then enabling Custom Direct3D Support.

Saty

Pro-tip for pubs that want to be progressive, reduce bugs, reduce costs, lessen customers' anger:

A game you make goes gold a month or so before release. At that point go to Steam, launch Early Access, choose hundreds of people based on their machines, have them sign NDA's and start squashing these bugs and compatibility issues right away. Now that you launch the game proper you're less likely to experience severe bugs, the impression the game makes is far more favorable and the dev team doesn't have to push out patches and hotfixes under the gun, stressing about the customers who are fuming about how the shape of the games or how it runs for them.

Kezen

Banned
Pro-tip for pubs that want to be progressive, reduce bugs, reduce costs, lessen customers' anger:

A game you make goes gold a month or so before release. At that point go to Steam, launch Early Access, choose hundreds of people based on their machines, have them sign NDA's and start squashing these bugs and compatibility issues right away. Now that you launch the game proper you're less likely to experience severe bugs, the impression the game makes is far more favorable and the dev team doesn't have to push out patches and hotfixes under the gun, stressing about the customers who are fuming about how the shape of the games or how it runs for them.

That's a very good idea.

Megasoum

Banned
You want to use the in-game overlay ? FPS/CLOCK/MEMORY and so on .. ?

If you either want OC or ingame overlay, use MSI Afterburner.

I use riva tuner for fps capping and fps display. That works well except for the fact that when Riva Tuner is running I can't get the UPlay overlay going in game which means I can't use the coop feature.

kamspy

Crank PostFX down to low. Most demanding setting in my experience and is just crappy motion blur. Update drivers and all that too.

I'm on a AMD 1100T and GTX 680 and running better than that.

I've been playing for awhile yesterday. The game runs pretty well anytime I'm on foot but driving fast land vehicles causes the annoying stutter. I'm tolerating it but it would be great if the stuttering would be addressed. I don't have high hopes at this point.

laxu

With the 1.6 patch I don't find the game all that bad. Of course, this is with a pretty good system (game running off SSD, GTX 970 SLI). I use SweetFX (via bolotaur injector) to get working SMAA on SLI and improve the contrast a bit. Motion blur is off because I can't stand that shit. No crashes so far even with an overclocked CPU and GPU.

Overall the game now runs quite nicely for me, the only issue is occasional flash in environment here and there and obviously the broken AA and PCSS. I did delete/move the .xml files before playing 1.5 I think so that might be something that helps.

When I was still running GTX 770 (SLI) I felt that Very high textures was the best setting for that card, felt much smoother with that. The card should run the game fine in any case. For those having problems, try reinstalling your drivers after cleaning them with Display Driver Uninstaller.

rBose

Banned
I've been playing for awhile yesterday. The game runs pretty well anytime I'm on foot but driving fast land vehicles causes the annoying stutter. I'm tolerating it but it would be great if the stuttering would be addressed. I don't have high hopes at this point.

The ship was abandoned long time ago by crappysoft, the issue is there since day1 and it hasn't gotten better in all this time.

I'm also encountering massive fps drops when using the glider and when driving as everyone said, but all those issues disappear once I crank up the mipmap to 1 ( the textures are shitty tho )

I mean, I've waited almost 2 months for this to get fixed (fps drops) and it's still there, I guess I'll just have to use the damn mipmap setting

Calmine

sooo, any ideas how it would run on my pc? would the high-setting be possible?

intel i5 3450
8gb ram
radeon hd 7870

Yeah should be playable at High settings. Maybe with couple of settings at Medium if your wanting to get close to 60FPS at 1080p. Keep in mind that the game isn't well optimised for AMD GPU's.

I've got a HD 7970 and the Omega Drivers from AMD and I'm running it at all Very-High/High and it's quite smooth but still stutters a little.

Fred Fredriksson

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah should be playable at High settings. Maybe with couple of settings at Medium if your wanting to get close to 60FPS at 1080p. Keep in mind that the game isn't well optimised for AMD GPU's.

I've got a HD 7970 and the Omega Drivers from AMD and I'm running it at all Very-High/High and it's quite smooth but still stutters a little.

Thanks Calmine!

pestul

I just moved the game to a new hard disk I got for Christmas and it updated with a patch (hadn't played in a little while / UPlay version). The game runs really smoothly for me now. I only played for about 15min so I don't know about prolonged play, but it felt a lot better.

I've been having a pretty pleasant experience with this game even from the beginning.. although I did prefer the enhanced god rays from the earlier versions over the last couple of patches.

Damian.

Banned
I am guessing 1.6 was pulled? I would like to try it out since I have not been able to manually save since I installed the initial 1.4 patch before it was pulled. Twice now I have lost 2+ hours of progress because I didn't happen to do a main story mission, which is the only way for me to save my progress.

rBose

Banned
I am guessing 1.6 was pulled? I would like to try it out since I have not been able to manually save since I installed the initial 1.4 patch before it was pulled. Twice now I have lost 2+ hours of progress because I didn't happen to do a main story mission, which is the only way for me to save my progress.

1.6+Hotfix now available on uplay and steam, it updates automatically.

Rizzi

Yeah, I figure it out. vsync was doing horrible things, so I disabled it and now I'm not dropping below 50 on high settings.
Kinda wish I could have soft shadows and god rays on without dropping below 40 though.

Kezen

Banned
Yeah, I figure it out. vsync was doing horrible things, so I disabled it and now I'm not dropping below 50 on high settings.
Kinda wish I could have soft shadows and god rays on without dropping below 40 though.

Have you enabled triple buffering ? It could help with the drops.

Syncytia

So I'm still on 1.01... I'm fine playing offline since I'm not interested in MP and none of friends have it yet for co-op. It runs perfectly fine to me, so I'm guessing I should just continue offline and not update? I generally get pretty good performance with a 2500k and 970 and I have no major complaints.

Top Bottom