• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

daninthemix

You guys with performance issues are lucky - I still can't run the damn thing due to the black screen problem. Judging by Ubi's forums, I am not alone.

rBose

Banned
You guys with performance issues are lucky - I still can't run the damn thing due to the black screen problem. Judging by Ubi's forums, I am not alone.

Damn, this is extremely embarrassing and ridiculous, I heard about this issue ever since day1 and it's still present... that's a new low level of Goobysoft.

What's more infuriating is that we still DON'T have an ETA on the next patch ( they didn't even bother updating their majestic LIVE UPDATES pages which were specifically created for this ) Top notch company, would buy again.

It's not like the game doesn't need more patches, aside from the day1 performance issues that are still present the game suffers from a large array of technical and gameplay problems, I deeply regret spending my money on this broken piece of software, it's not even worth buying it for 1$ from a black friday humble bundle. At least I could refund anus creed, not so lucky with the distant cry 4

daninthemix

Damn, this is extremely embarrassing and ridiculous, I heard about this issue ever since day1 and it's still present... that's a new low level of Goobysoft.

What's more infuriating is that we still DON'T have an ETA on the next patch ( they didn't even bother updating their majestic LIVE UPDATES pages which were specifically created for this ) Top notch company, would buy again.

It's not like the game doesn't need more patches, aside from the day1 performance issues that are still present the game suffers from a large array of technical and gameplay problems, I deeply regret spending my money on this broken piece of software, it's not even worth buying it for 1$ from a black friday humble bundle. At least I could refund anus creed, not so lucky with the distant cry 4

The thing is I didn't spend any money on it - I chose it with nVidia Pick Your Path. Now I wished I'd picked Unity or The Crew instead! Say, you think nVidia might give me another code?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The thing is I didn't spend any money on it - I chose it with nVidia Pick Your Path. Now I wished I'd picked Unity or The Crew instead! Say, you think nVidia might give me another code?

Since you've used it and it's considered a free bonus, no. Couldn't hurt to try, though -- at worst you'll just be ignored.

mrpookles

Apart from weird stutters once every 5 minutes or so (that Ubi touch), it's running perfectly for me. However, I don't actually think it looks that great.

knerl

Apart from weird stutters once every 5 minutes or so (that Ubi touch), it's running perfectly for me. However, I don't actually think it looks that great.

Agreed. Considering how it looks it doesn't run well at all.
Personally I just want the damn stuttering while driving to go away. Game breaker.
Patch 1.6 and still they haven't ironed it out. Should've sold the voucher I got for it.

roytheone

Game runs pretty bad on my pc (gtx 970, 8 gig ram, i7 870).

When running through the world, it is ok (around 30 fps) but whenever there is action i often am in the 20-25 fps range. When driving, it also drops to 25 fps. I tried chancing all the graphical options from ultra to low, but the effect on the fps is minimal at best, only geometry seems to have a little effect. Is the game just badly optimized, or is there something else going on?

knerl

Game runs pretty bad on my pc (gtx 970, 8 gig ram, i7 870).

When running through the world, it is ok (around 30 fps) but whenever there is action i often am in the 20-25 fps range. When driving, it also drops to 25 fps. I tried chancing all the graphical options from ultra to low, but the effect on the fps is minimal at best, only geometry seems to have a little effect. Is the game just badly optimized, or is there something else going on?

Your CPU is a severe bottleneck. Should really upgrade to a Sandy Bridge model.
a 2500K for example. Or perhaps even the i7 2600K which gives you even better performance in a few games that utilizes hyper threading.

I recommend the Sandy Bridge generation since those are still rocking every modern game there is.
They also come pretty cheap if bought used.

EDIT: Some will insist on getting an Ivy Bridge instead because of them supporting PCI-E 3.0, but the performance difference between PCI-E 2 and 3 is so extremely small that it's not really a factor to bother with.

roytheone

Your CPU is a severe bottleneck. Should really upgrade to a Sandy Bridge model.
a 2500K for example. Or perhaps even the i7 2600K which gives you even better performance in a few games that utilizes hyper threading.

I know my cpu is a bottleneck (want to upgrade eventually, but I would also have to change my motherboard and thus reinstall windows, so that sucks), but you would think 30 fps on low should at least be possible, but I don't even get that.

knerl

I know my cpu is a bottleneck (want to upgrade eventually, but I would also have to change my motherboard and thus reinstall windows, so that sucks), but you would think 30 fps on low should at least be possible, but I don't even get that.

Are you using Intel SpeedStep or any other power saving features related to the CPU in your BIOS settings? Turn those off if so.

styl3s

So maybe someone can help me out with an issue i am having.

I bought the game from a fellow GAF duder today and it runs fine but it looks like someone turned the sharpness up 100 in the game and it looks normal in window mode (problem is it doesnt fit the screen in window and borderless blows the game up to where i can see anything)

When i take a SS through fraps it looks normal
QSmnumH.jpg

But this is what i actually see

Blitzhex

Try enabling Custom Direct3D Support for your FarCry4.exe profile in RTSS.

I've tried that, uplay overlay still doesn't work with rtss, even in ACU. Steam overlay works fine though for steam games.

That's either some super serious bottlenecking or you've got some sort of miner virus on your pc. Your computer isn't utilizing that 970 at all. I'd say there's something wrong with your OS, like a virus/driver issue.

Damian.

Banned
So maybe someone can help me out with an issue i am having.

I bought the game from a fellow GAF duder today and it runs fine but it looks like someone turned the sharpness up 100 in the game and it looks normal in window mode (problem is it doesnt fit the screen in window and borderless blows the game up to where i can see anything)

When i take a SS through fraps it looks normal

But this is what i actually see

XBone filter? That looks nasty.

styl3s

XBone filter? That looks nasty.
PC.

Finished installing from uplay not 20 minutes ago (i assume it auto downloads patches? i can't find a update button anywhere in this awful pathetic excuse of a program). It looks fine in windowed mode for some reason but windowed mode likes to not take up my screen so i tried borderless and it like zoomed in x100. Fucking baffled at what's going on right now.

rBose

Banned
PC.

Finished installing from uplay not 20 minutes ago (i assume it auto downloads patches? i can't find a update button anywhere in this awful pathetic excuse of a program). It looks fine in windowed mode for some reason but windowed mode likes to not take up my screen so i tried borderless and it like zoomed in x100. Fucking baffled at what's going on right now.

You can check the lower right or left of the screen ingame and see if you have the 1.6 version, thats the latest.

It's the recent update. My rig has been chugging hard in forests since 1.6 updated. Before, it was absolute smooth sailing.

I hope they patch it soon.

Good to know I'm not the only one then, I uninstalled it anyway since I wasn't really enjoying it very much but at least it was free.

Who said you only need 4gb of ram in 2014-15?The same people probably saying 4gb vram was worthless on gtx 770...... BF4 eats up ram, I call bs on downsampling 1080p mp with solid framerates.
FarCry4 has or had(?) memory leaks but OS alone and FC4 I think that might be your issue.

I originally built this rig back in 2010, and back then most people said yeah that will be fine.

In all honesty I think it's just the buggy as shit game.

rBose

Banned
Good to know I'm not the only one then, I uninstalled it anyway since I wasn't really enjoying it very much but at least it was free.

I originally built this rig back in 2010, and back then most people said yeah that will be fine.

In all honesty I think it's just the buggy as shit game.

It is a miserable piece of software, nothing more and nothing less.

Ontopic, where the **** is patch 1.7 ubi ?

daninthemix

Welp, I just logged a support ticket with Nvidia, pleading with them how my Ubisoft support ticket ended basically with a "yah it's a known issue. Sorry about that".

Fingers crossed!

rBose

Banned
Welp, I just logged a support ticket with Nvidia, pleading with them how my Ubisoft support ticket ended basically with a "yah it's a known issue. Sorry about that".

Fingers crossed!

Hope you manage to sort it out man!

I was just doing a quick golden path mission and bam, crash...

Damian.

Banned

Fingers crossed!

My ticket for the manual save game disappearing issue was closed with something similar, but they said the problem was being worked on. Hoping I don't have to start my 25 hour save over again.

roytheone

Are you using Intel SpeedStep or any other power saving features related to the CPU in your BIOS settings? Turn those off if so.

Today I did some testing with afterburner to see if i could find out what was wrong, and I noticed that CPU core 3 was being used almost 2x as much as the other cores. So after some searching i found a post linking me to a program to disable CPU parking (http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility) and my fps jumped from 25-30 range to 35-40! Still not ideal, but at least the game is playable now!

knerl

Today I did some testing with afterburner to see if i could find out what was wrong, and I noticed that CPU core 3 was being used almost 2x as much as the other cores. So after some searching i found a post linking me to a program to disable CPU parking (http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility) and my fps jumped from 25-30 range to 35-40! Still not ideal, but at least the game is playable now!

Still recommend turning Intel SpeedStep off if it's on in your BIOS. That allows the CPU to throttle it's clock speeds and if it's performance you want you do not want the CPU to throttle. Nice bump either way.

nick nacc

Banned
i7 4790k r9 290

Had everything maxed and always got around 50 fps with minimal stuttering until this damn 1.6 update ruined everything. The game runs like garbage now at liek 35 to 40 fps. Can I rollback to 1.5?

rBose

Banned
i7 4790k r9 290

Had everything maxed and always got around 50 fps with minimal stuttering until this damn 1.6 update ruined everything. The game runs like garbage now at liek 35 to 40 fps. Can I rollback to 1.5?

Only if you yarr it. :D

Goobysoft The Gaem hasn't released yet a tool to downgrade the game unfortunately, I wish I could go back to 1.4 Patch, everything was ok.

laxu

Still recommend turning Intel SpeedStep off if it's on in your BIOS. That allows the CPU to throttle it's clock speeds and if it's performance you want you do not want the CPU to throttle. Nice bump either way.

Bad advice. The speed changing is so fast depending on load you will only notice the lack of it in increased power use and temps at idle.

knerl

Bad advice. The speed changing is so fast depending on load you will only notice the lack of it in increased power use and temps at idle.

So not true. There's a reason people turn it off in favor of performance. Using Intel Speedstep in certain games will cut your framerate in half. Not to mention it could cause noticeable drops and disturbances while playing. So no. It is not that fast and perfect.

Unless you have a really bad cooler it won't affect your temperatures to any larger degree while being idle either.

pestul

So not true. There's a reason people turn it off in favor of performance. Using Intel Speedstep in certain games will cut your framerate in half. Not to mention it could cause noticeable drops and disturbances while playing. So no. It is not that fast and perfect.

Unless you have a really bad cooler it won't affect your temperatures to any larger degree while being idle either.
I highly doubt that. I have speed step enabled and as long as a single core is even 5-10% active it runs at the highest clockspeed with no fluctuation whatsoever. Even legacy titles push the cpu over 5%. Unless there's variations with motherboard manufacturers, I've never once run into this issue and of course save a little power by keeping it enabled.

Also, the core unparking suggestion is only valid for Windows 7 and below. If you think it's helping in 8/8.1, that is only placebo because it does nothing.

dead2.gif

knerl

I highly doubt that. I have speed step enabled and as long as a single core is even 5-10% active it runs at the highest clockspeed with no fluctuation whatsoever. Even legacy titles push the cpu over 5%. Unless there's variations with motherboard manufacturers, I've never once run into this issue and of course save a little power by keeping it enabled.

Also, the core unparking suggestion is only valid for Windows 7 and below. If you think it's helping in 8/8.1, that is only placebo because it does nothing.

Just because you don't notice it it doesn't mean that there aren't any. I've personally seen the difference of 30fps in some games by enabling and disabling it. Red Faction Guerrilla being one of them. Core parking only affects certain CPU's by the way. Using Intel Speedstep the clock speed throttles depending on the CPU load and temperature, but the CPU load does not determine how fast you can run a game. let's say you're using 50% of all cores in a game. That might make the CPU downclock itself to preserve power. During the same scenario. If you run the CPU at full speed with the same load you can get shitloads of more frames per second.

Any power saving feature that can change the multiplier can severely decrease performance sometimes. Running your CPU without throttling guarantees that you'll never see a performance decrease from the CPU side.

in half? I doubt that very much

knerl

in half? I doubt that very much

Doubt all you want. But if a game with low CPU load makes the CPU decide to downclock itself to it's minimum clock speed to preserve power it could happen. That's what it'll do. If the load is low it lowers it's own clock speed as much as it can in an attempt to use as little power as possible.

I'm not saying it happens in every game, but in some. Not always in half, but it can be the culprit when it comes to bad performance.

daninthemix

I got a sudden rush of new rage towards Ubisoft. Are they intending to patch the black screen / controller issue or just leave thousands of customers with a non-working product?

SliChillax

After a month of holidays I finally came back home, started my PC, updated the drivers, updated the game everything and it still stutters like crazy. I'm uninstalling it.

knerl

I got a sudden rush of new rage towards Ubisoft. Are they intending to patch the black screen / controller issue or just leave thousands of customers with a non-working product?

What controller issue do you have? I'm using a wireless 360 gamepad and that doesn't cause any issues on my side. At least I don't think it is.
Drivers?
OS?
Specs?

daninthemix

What controller issue do you have? I'm using a wireless 360 gamepad and that doesn't cause any issues on my side. At least I don't think it is.
Drivers?
OS?
Specs?

I have a wired 360 gamepad. If its plugged in, there's just a black screen on launch. If I alt-tab out I then get a progress bar and eventually the main menu, but sooner or later another black screen will appear (like if I choose any sub menu), then I have to alt-tab again.

Loads of people have this or similar issues with gamepads, such as events not triggering, cutscenes going black etc.

If I unplug the gamepad it runs fine, but I want to play with a gamepad.

Next patch please, Ubi! You utter nincompoops.

knerl

I have a wired 360 gamepad. If its plugged in, there's just a black screen on launch. If I alt-tab out I then get a progress bar and eventually the main menu, but sooner or later another black screen will appear (like if I choose any sub menu), then I have to alt-tab again.

Loads of people have this or similar issues with gamepads, such as events not triggering, cutscenes going black etc.

If I unplug the gamepad it runs fine, but I want to play with a gamepad.

Next patch please, Ubi! You utter nincompoops.

Auto installed drivers through windows update? For the gamepad I mean?
Try manually installing a later version which is probably available from MS's website.

daninthemix

Driver is 2.1.0.1349 dated 2009. Doesn't seem to be a newer one anywhere else, and every other game is cool with my gamepad.

Black screens are still a very pervasive issue going by Ubi's forums, often because of gamepads or other USB devices. Ubisoft needs to sort this out.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I at first couldn't play the game with a controller because a Razer Nostromo device was plugged in. Finally figured out that was why, it's really weird though because the controller works all the way until the main menu.

Trying to figure out the best settings to use. I'm running the game on a 3770K and GTX 970.

At first my game was looking like a miscolored bland mess for awhile. Figured out it was due to the God Rays Enhanced being on.

The game still looks a bit soft and I'm not sure why.

Also there is noticeable texture pop in when doing things like flying.

I'm going to force AF the next time I play like the OP mentions.

Just bought the game for PC. Struggling in comparison to how I thought it would run so I did some searching and apparently it does not use AMD Crossfire as of yet? Still just taking advantage of the one card?

While playing I checked the Catalyst Control Center too and in the overdrive section it only showed one card working at 95% and the other had 0s accross the board.

Anyway to get this to work? I remember back in the day I had to rename Crysis 2 to bioshock or something to get it to work, haha.

Edit : I made a profile and put AFR friendy, which did increase the FPS but now it stutters to a halt way too often and has flickering shadows.

Kezen

Banned
Just bought the game for PC. Struggling in comparison to how I thought it would run so I did some searching and apparently it does not use AMD Crossfire as of yet? Still just taking advantage of the one card?

While playing I checked the Catalyst Control Center too and in the overdrive section it only showed one card working at 95% and the other had 0s accross the board.

Anyway to get this to work? I remember back in the day I had to rename Crysis 2 to bioshock or something to get it to work, haha.

Edit : I made a profile and put AFR friendy, which did increase the FPS but now it stutters to a halt way too often and has flickering shadows.

The game does not support Crossfire right now, nothing that can be done about that until Ubisoft do something.

Kezen

Banned
They just shouldn't have released a PC version. Seems like they put no effort into it.

I disagree. It can't be perfect (and support 100% of PC features available) but I'm impressed with how good it looks and how well it runs on my system. I have no shame calling is a superb PC version.
Never had a problem, never ran into a single crash.

Obviously, I only speak for myself. No PC version can be issues free for 100% of the PC gamers landscape.

Top Bottom