• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

rBose

Banned
So I'm still on 1.01... I'm fine playing offline since I'm not interested in MP and none of friends have it yet for co-op. It runs perfectly fine to me, so I'm guessing I should just continue offline and not update? I generally get pretty good performance with a 2500k and 970 and I have no major complaints.

You should definitely update, especially if you're at 1.01.

Vuze

Re: Underclocking. Still doesn't help. Game crashes with a whitescreen. Aren't there any logfiles at all to get to know more about the causes?

rBose

Banned
Fokin piece of shite, I've just finished a Golden Path mission and bam fc4.exe has stopped responding. Cool bro, cool.

plc268

Fokin piece of shite, I've just finished a Golden Path mission and bam fc4.exe has stopped responding. Cool bro, cool.

Happens to me about once an hour. Some times it's nice enough to crash like that and allow me to restart, other times, it'll do a hard lock forcing me to reset the PC.

I'm still not seeing it on my uPlay copy? Just checked again and still on 1.5. Any way to force an update or patch it manually?

When I was trying to apply the patch, I had to restart uplay and launch the game... and only then would it actually download the patch.

Bebpo

Banned
This latest patch really fucked over my game. The game was running perfect for me for the last month, near 60fps, no stutters, never had a crash.

Since the last time it updated with a patch I've gotten what feels like 1) lower fps and more importantly 2) Hard crashes and 3) Infinite loading crashes when fast traveling.

Really frustrating since I'm like 30 hours into the game now and for the first time the game is getting unreliable to play with constant crashing.

Skinpop

well I got this game with my gtx 970 and after playing an hour or so it just froze. I could still hear sounds and talk to my buddy on skype but my pc was completely unresoponsive. ctrl alt del and so on didn't work I had to pull the power and restart.
is this a common problem with far cry 4? is there a fix? I'm scared to launch the game again...

rBose

Banned
well I got this game with my gtx 970 and after playing an hour or so it just froze. I could still hear sounds and talk to my buddy on skype but my pc was completely unresoponsive. ctrl alt del and so on didn't work I had to pull the power and restart.
is this a common problem with far cry 4? is there a fix? I'm scared to launch the game again...

Every issue is common and can be reproduced pretty fast, the game is a bugfest

What gives with this game? It doesnt "feel right" when moving, like laggy.

I enabled both stutter fixes as well.

My Pc

8GB
Sapphire 7950 3GB (oc'd) Running the Omegas
2500k (oc'd to 4.5 GHz)
SSD

What settings do you all recommend?

rBose

Banned
In my case, the 1.6 patch fixed that micro stutter when moving the camera left and right.

I've also disabled mouse acc in gamerprofile and set the mipmap to 1

Bebpo

Banned
Yup, never had a single crash in 30+ hours until 1.6 and now I'm crashing all the time and the game is completely unstable. Fuck. I really like the game and WANT TO KEEP PLAYING IT, but I can't now. Any way to roll back patches? Or delete the game, re-install, don't update and keep the saves?

rBose

Banned
Yup, never had a single crash in 30+ hours until 1.6 and now I'm crashing all the time and the game is completely unstable. Fuck. I really like the game and WANT TO KEEP PLAYING IT, but I can't now. Any way to roll back patches? Or delete the game, re-install, don't update and keep the saves?

Yep, crashing here too after 1.6, when saving, finishing a mission or even when quitting the game, fc4exe is too next gen and cinametic and crashes

I think I know a way...

3d9.png

Rizzi

Been trying to get vsync to play nice. If I set it to on, as soon as the framerate drops below 60 it dives down to 30. Thoughts?

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
This game has started crashing every half an hour for me. It's getting extremely frustrating t othe point of unplayable because I lose time so often. I get the sound stuck while the game crashes to a white, windowed screen. Any known fixes for this? I'm on a 970.

conman

Stuttering and memory leak still an issue? Been waiting for fixes before purchasing. Are those issues machine dependent or are they pretty much universal still?

Bebpo

Banned
I stopped getting crashes in 1.6 when I went from borderless -> full screen. Just FYI for anyone suddenly getting a lot of crashes in borderless.

Vuze

This game has started crashing every half an hour for me. It's getting extremely frustrating t othe point of unplayable because I lose time so often. I get the sound stuck while the game crashes to a white, windowed screen. Any known fixes for this? I'm on a 970.
Exactly my problem. 970 too.

pestul

Is there any hope of this title being fixed? I have a GTX780 and I want to buy it but not if it's still broken.
Strangely, it works just fine for a lot of people.. but yeah, I can see why someone would worry. The only major trouble I've seen was once attempting to complete an 'outpost master' I got the black screen bug. This was ages ago, and my game hasn't crashed once since.

Very happy with my performance on R9 290. Apart from stuttering of course, which I can tolerate, as becoms a bigger problem only when driving at higher speeds. The fur tech is much less demanding than I anticipated and is not limited to NV.

LilJoka

Same for me (though 2x GTX 970). Some environment/shadow glitches remain but that's all. Played thru the game just fine.

No glitches here that ive noticed, guess issues still with SLI, if i have my fps/frame time counter enabled the fps do dip at certain points, but i cant really tell otherwise. And when i can tell its very minor and not very often. Played an hour yesterday without it bothering me at all.

I turned C states and Speedstep off so im at a constant 4.2Ghz on my i7 3770, that may have helped a little. Im running off a new 3TB HDD.

Murtrod

Been having troubles with SLI 680 setup after 1.6 update. Before, I could easily max the game out (no AA) @ 1440p but now, my frames dive when surrounded by trees. Newest drivers and even previous drivers don't help. Anyone else having issues? Also, when I walk into caves, my game begins to draw these white lines across the walls randomly and they disappear and reappear depending on the direction I'm looking in. AND although my GPU usage is 99%, my temperatures when playing have been significantly reduced. I feel like the game isn't utilizing enough GPU processing power.

This update is killing me...

Bebpo

Banned
Got up to the north and my 60fps on my gtx980 tanked at the introduction of some minor, not very impressive, falling snow. I swear it dropped from like 60-> 25-35 just from that one effect wtff. Gonna have to lower some settings for this area :(

This game is being offered as a free purchase with my new grpahics card, but I'm seeing a ton of people are having a lot of problems with this. Is it worth making the plunge or should I just sell the code and buy something else?

Can anyone with a similar build tell me how their game is running? I run it all maxed out with a 30FPS cap, just because the slight stutters and judders are less noticable than lower settings with 60FPS.

The main important specs are an i5 3570, GTX 780 OC 3GB and 8GB of DDR3. Anyone running a similar or slower system at 60FPS at max settings or is that too much to ask of the hardware?

Rizzi

My framerate keeps dropping to 40 when I get anywhere near an outpost.
:s
Well that's weird. I deleted my GamerProfile file and now I'm not dropping below 55.
I don't get it..

Murtrod

My framerate keeps dropping to 40 when I get anywhere near an outpost.
:s
Well that's weird. I deleted my GamerProfile file and now I'm not dropping below 55.
I don't get it..

I'm going to have to try this...

Edit: Didn't help. And all of my issues are due to the trees. Trees used to treat my PC well, but now... I can't hold a steady frame rate at all.

So this game was playing fine before, 60FPS locked maximum settings at 1080P.

Just made it to the first area unlock and my FPS is tanking down to around 30fps and back up constantly.

Is it the game or my GPU?

We had a power surge earlier today but everything seems to be okay and I have everything connected to a good quality surge protector, and I'm not displaying any artifacts in OCCT or other games so I think I am okay. So I think we can rule that one out, I've had plenty of experience with electronics and power surges.

System:

Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHZ, load temps are fine(50C)
GTX980 @ Stock clocks, temps are sub 60 or cooler with fan at 75%
4gb DDR3 1600 Ripjaws X ram by G.Skill

The Llama

Just made it to the first area unlock and my FPS is tanking down to around 30fps and back up constantly.

We had a power surge earlier today but everything seems to be okay and I have everything connected to a good quality surge protector, and I'm not displaying any artifacts in OCCT or other games so I think I am okay. So I think we can rule that one out, I've had plenty of experience with electronics and power surges.

System:

You only have 4GB of RAM? That could possibly have something to do with it, its a bit low.

You only have 4GB of RAM? That could possibly have something to do with it, its a bit low.

Well yeah I listened to people saying you only need 4gb of system ram, then again with the 980 having 4GB of VRAM I think I am covered.

I mean I run a lot of other intensive games and I even downsample BF3-4 and get a solid 60FPS on Ultra...so I didn't think it was a problem, I can definitely order some more right now but if I don't need it I won't buy it.

And again it was running fine before but now it runs like hot shit.

geetec

Neo Member
Far Cry 4 keeps crashing when I reach certain areas of the map, it'll freeze on a frame (not the black screen crash). I cannot find any fixes, anyone got any ideas?

riflen

Well yeah I listened to people saying you only need 4gb of system ram, then again with the 980 having 4GB of VRAM I think I am covered.

I mean I run a lot of other intensive games and I even downsample BF3-4 and get a solid 60FPS on Ultra...so I didn't think it was a problem, I can definitely order some more right now but if I don't need it I won't buy it.

No offence but you're crazy to use 4GB of system RAM given your cpu and gpu and the relative cost of DDR3 memory. You're leaving performance on the table. The recommended amount for this game is 8GB.

4GB probably left you with to little to spare when you progressed in the game and its scope increased.

wiggleb0t

Banned

Who said you only need 4gb of ram in 2014-15?The same people probably saying 4gb vram was worthless on gtx 770...... BF4 eats up ram, I call bs on downsampling 1080p mp with solid framerates.
FarCry4 has or had(?) memory leaks but OS alone and FC4 I think that might be your issue.

Murtrod

System:

It's the recent update. My rig has been chugging hard in forests since 1.6 updated. Before, it was absolute smooth sailing.

I hope they patch it soon.

PaulloDEC

-Kepler performance is shockingly bad, even compared to AMD.

That makes sense. I'm running a GTX 680, and even with all the eye-candy at the lowest settings my framerate only barely reaches above 75fps. I don't remember having issues like this with 3 or Blood Dragon.

Top Bottom