• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC reviews delayed until release

FFP2

"The PC port is being handled by Ubisoft Kiev"

Aww ffs why. Just get the people who ported FC3 to do this one as well.

Nzyme32

I6GSf.gif

I'm ready. Provide me with the free entertainment Ubisoft.

"We recognise the importance and needs of PC gamers, and want to continue to improve how we create and support games for PC,’ said Corre. ’We listen to feedback from players and continue to adapt accordingly". link

Bradach

The PC port of Splinter cell conviction was a turd.

When first loaded it would be 60fps, over the course of about 15 mins it would grind down to 20fps at which point I would turn it off.

Phinor

Oh ffffuu.. I just realized I didn't check if the game has proper FOV on PC. Already purchased the game. I just assumed it would be a great PC version because Far Cry 3 was.

Maybe it still is. But it's Ubisoft, damn. Odds aren't good.

The chance of me pre-ordering let alone buying a Ubisoft game is slim to none but that doesn't give me confidence in Far Cry 4 for PC.

Nipo

I'm going to be optimistic and assume it is because the PC version is awesome, but they get more money per copy from console versions so they want to incentive buying that.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
If any of you pre-order this before it comes out you are a part of the problem.

Oh give me a break. There are plenty of people enjoying AC:U warts and all. So far reviews of the console version of FC4 have outpaced AC:U, which I assume will translate into plenty of people enjoying FC4.

GAF is not, and never will be, the gaming community at large (no matter how many people want it to be).

Far Cry 3 on PC was great.

dont see the problem.

Far Cry 3 was done at the studio who made FC3, this PC version is being done by Kiev, who are well know for their incredibly unoptimized PC ports of other ubi games, including the recently released ACunity.

expect it to be rough.

Megasoum

Banned
Gotta catch 'em all.

Far Cry 3 PC wasn't handled by Ubi Kiev. The studio's most recent effort is the PC port of Unity, which isn't anything to gloat about.

Like other people have said in this thread before. Dunia was always great on PC and Anvil was always terrible on PC, no matter who actually worked on it.

Venfayth

Oh give me a break. There are plenty of people enjoying AC:U warts and all. So far reviews of the console version of FC4 have outpaced AC:U, which I assume will translate into plenty of people enjoying FC4.

GAF is not, and never will be, the gaming community at large (no matter how many people want it to be).

I agree with the essence of what you're saying, but it still really sucks that this port won't get the treatment it deserves.

Hmmm, I was gonna get this on PS4. I played FC3 on PC and it ran well, but I heard this has higher system requirements.

Hearing this solidifies it.

Meia

So what I've been getting from this entire fiasco, is that there was a reason all along for Ubi to release PC versions later than the consoles ones: They're shit when it comes to PC games. Got it.

Portman

That doesn't make sense that they would let the main dev team handle it on the previous game but then hand it off for this one. Unless it's due to the console split of both gens being "to much to handle" like Bungie claimed.

Oh well, makes me glad I was planning to wait it out for a bit like k did with 3.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I agree with the essence of what you're saying, but it still really sucks that this port won't get the treatment it deserves.

Honestly it's just a (needlessly) antagonistic comment to gamers who like the franchise period, and are willing to put up with a less than ideal initial experience.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Like other people have said in this thread before. Dunia was always great on PC and Anvil was always terrible on PC, no matter who actually worked on it.

I've perused through the thread. Unity is even worse than AssCreed 3 was at launch (the first "AnvilNext" game). That's not to say FC4 is destined to be a bad port, but the concern is hardly unfounded.

hoserx

fuck me. I had two keys for free games from buying 970s............

I chose AC:U and this............... ughhhh. fuck me.

Megasoum

Banned
I've perused through the thread. Unity is even worse than AssCreed 3 was at launch (the first "AnvilNext" game). That's not to say FC4 is destined to be a bad port, but the concern is hardly unfounded.

That's exactly what I'm saying... The engine used for next gen AC games is terrible on PC. The engine used for FC3 and FC4 is great on PC.

If this turns out to be true, what a crazy turnaround from last gen, where Farcry 3 ran like shit on consoles and was amazing on PC.

npa189

I'll wait for reviews as 3 was pretty good on PC. After WD and Unity its hard to take them seriously as a PC dev anymore.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's exactly what I'm saying... The engine used for next gen AC games is terrible on PC. The engine used for FC3 and FC4 is great on PC.

I'm emphasising that AnvilNext went backwards compared to its debut -- which can be considered comparable to Unity sporting a significant overhaul of the engine -- despite the narrower platform scope. An engine is only part of the equation, after all, which is partly why the mention of Ubi Kiev has been met with cynicism (it's not as though every, say, UE3 game runs like a dream just because they share a common foundation).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Eh, I suspect it'll be decent. There might be some bugs but it should probably run well enough.

Unlike AC Unity, where all versions are broken, the console version of Far Cry 4 (at least PS4 and XO) are rock solid. Surely the stability from the main build will trickle down to the PC version. Unity's problems go much deeper than the PC port.

Top Bottom