• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal |OT| The Land Before Towers

Fliesen

k, done with the game and the Platinum.

6B4Ah8Z.jpg

Zkp1778.jpg

77,91% - 23:11 hours

the post-credits scene most likely hints at a sequel?

Sadly, as with Far Cry 4 before it, i was very thorough, so the final missions end up being the 'cleanup' phase, as opposed to sidequests or random trophies being that kind of cleanup.

so roughly 75% into the game, the feedback loop got less and less effective (once you put points in all the essential skills that make you actually stronger, and have leveled up all the necessary weapons - i.e. the spear - to max level, threre's no more perceivable progress)

I did like how every NPC has their own arc, which does receive a conclusion - some better, some worse. (the one-armed totem guy just ends up
making his big poopy totem
never to be interacted with again.

Overall, i really enjoyed the game. And it's really really pretty.

also, this was kinda cool.
dJc5Kcs.gif

I'm loving the recent Ubisoft trend of including female enemies in their big series. They still need more female MCs, but at least they seem to understand that even adding in random female mooks is a step towards equalization.

yup, really noticeable in AC:Syndicate. Great in this game as well.
50% gender split on main bad guys
2 / 5 village NPCs are women, which isn't too bad. (discounting Urki and the 2 additional ones)

Just tamed the Great Scar Bear. Oh man, that was actually a tough one. I spent half the fight just running away from him after I ran out of hardwood for traps. The only thing that saved me was that I remembered I could call my Bloodfang Sabretooth to help.

SentryDown

It's like some kind of voodoo magic. I've never seen loading times this fast for an open world game on consoles.

Textures are usually responsible for long loading and the game has a lot less than most open worlds : no cars, no buildings, no billboards, few outfits but a lot of wood and stone.

This game is amazing. This is the FarCry I wanted after the original. Tamed a rare black lion earlier - awesome. I do hope this game gets the sales it needs to justify a sequel.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
So the first time I ever saw a bear I actually saw two bears mauling the shit out of each other. Me, 2 hunter wenja and my wolf all stayed like 20 yards away in the treeline to watch the crazy go down. One comes out the winner and we all at the same time start to come out of the trees to go after the remaining bear and get dem skins and what do ya know - 3 Udam come out the opposite treeline! Cue mini tribal battle with a rage bear in the middle of the melee. Gooooood stuff...

Then there was surviving a night out in the middle of nowhere with wolves and a badger attack and all the everything trying to kill me from the bottom up only to be jogging through some tall trees and turn a corner into a sunrise. All the plants swaying with gentle morning breeze. My lion buddy laying down and chillin in the grass. Supplies full from a night of insanity. Check my map and i'm so far outside of my "safe" zone of unlocked bonfires I had to laugh.

This game has mad crazy hooks in it. Really wish you could co-op as like.. the animal friends or something. Being able to always be the owl and jump into your friends bear or wolf or whatever would be amazing.

I really love how your village grows in this game. Eventually you start seeing kids running around playing. I was watching one little girl try to lift up a rock that was a bit too heavy for her. She ended up flipping it over and looking underneath. Apparently she found a bug and ate it.

killroy87

Just need all the skills unlocked for the Platinum. I need to farm 21 skill points, and there is nothing but repetitive side missions left. But I'm too close to stop now.

The side missions in this game (the orange ones) are probably my biggest gripe. They are designed so poorly. You go to a marker to talk to someone, who sends to you another marker to start the mission, which sends you to yet another area to actually do the mission. That whole middle step is 100% worthless

bitoriginal

Well, I've played this game for 14 hours so far with about 30% completion and I'm still loving it. I've been playing on expert since the beginning, and have turned off a lot of the hud stuff to make it more immersive. Getting rid of the minimap is a must.

I've also purposely avoided a lot of the upgrades because it will make the game too easy - it's actually really fun running out of spears and arrows and having to make a run for it occasionally. It also means some of the animals that you come across in the world are actually pretty dangerous, pissing off a mammoth or cave bear without a plan is definitely not recommended.

The only thing I wish I could change is reviving animals, because it's too easy and tempting to just get a dead animal back, and I'm finding it hard to restrain myself. I'd love a mode when they stayed dead and you actually had to tame another one.

Overall, despite the melee combat being pretty lackluster, this game is really good and head and shoulders above any other Far Cry for me. I played 3 and 4 for a bit but shelved them pretty quickly. It guess just feels so good to be a caveman. This game really scratches an itch I didn't know I had!

antitrop

The side missions in this game (the orange ones) are probably my biggest gripe. They are designed so poorly. You go to a marker to talk to someone, who sends to you another marker to start the mission, which sends you to yet another area to actually do the mission. That whole middle step is 100% worthless

Ya, the fuck was up with that?

Really? Because some of them didn't even give me a marker. They just told me to go save X at location X. Thanks for telling me where it is.

I haven't done very many of the orange missions.

N° 2048

Really? Because some of them didn't even give me a marker. They just told me to go save X at location X. Thanks for telling me where it is.

I can't do any because I cannot find the marker they give and they say nothing descriptive of the area I'm looking for. Literally haven't done one of those yet.

Walpurgis

Banned
What are the survival elements like? Is the game actually dark at night like Dragon's Dogma? Do you need to use the torch or is it like Dark Souls II?

Do we need to eat food and etc.? Is the game difficult enough to give it a survival feel?

Reposting from the previous page.

They do give you markers, when you take the quest you have an icon with question mark, if you accept the quest than you gonna have the same icon somewhere on the map without the question mark, which is your destination. There you gonna get either another mark or you gonna have to use hunter vision, depends on a quest.

N° 2048

They do give you markers, when you take the quest you have an icon with question mark, if you accept the quest than you gonna have the same icon somewhere without the question mark, which is your destination. There you gonna get either another mark or you gonna have to use hunter vision, depends on a quest.

Thank you so much, missed that!

So far as I've seen night time is just darker and can have some unique animals that only come out at that time. I don't know whether animals are tougher or more aggro or if they travel in larger packs at night - its possible, but if true its not by a large degree.

There are no survival mechanics in the way you're thinking - no need to eat or drink or scavenge to survive. You collect in order to unlock gear and upgrades and progress the story.

The only survival bits I've come across are eating meat to heal injuries (its a medpack basically), and the high north having a cold meter that limits your time in that area without fire or heavier clothing. That small cold mechanic is a nice touch, but it only hints at what this game could be if it was truly fleshed out.

They do give you markers, when you take the quest you have an icon with question mark, if you accept the quest than you gonna have the same icon somewhere on the map without the question mark, which is your destination. There you gonna get either another mark or you gonna have to use hunter vision, depends on a quest.

Ugh. Would be nice if they were a bit more consistent, since most objective markers are the yellow/orange diamond-shaped icons.

Peff

Shallow, it's an AAA open-world game after all. Playing on the hardest difficulty you'll probably get some great moments early on, but surviving isn't really the focus. There are resources everywhere and the XP system makes you super powerful after a while.

Not really.

You use it often, but to keep the wildlife at bay rather than to actually see where you're going.

No, there are no degrading condition mechanics. You eat food to heal but that's about it.

At first yeah, but there are some really ridiculous upgrades. You'll have to start gimping yourself on purpose relatively early on if you don't want the difficulty to vanish.

LOL So true as well.

So thanks GAF, after all your positive impressions and screenshots within this thread I went ahead and cropped the digital version yesterday and...good lawd holy shit. Absolutely loving it. So a spew of words is going to follow now...lol

My friends saw me playing it last night and asked how it was and the best way I could describe it for them was if Far Cry had a wonderful love child with Skyrim (we all LOVE Skyrim), Dying Light and The Beast Master with the brutality and original language that helps completely immerse you like Apocalypto....just all of it set in the Stone Age so everything wants to kill you. So I managed to sell a few copies of the game then.
Though they never heard of The Beast Master or Marc Singer so I have to get new friends now.

So much attention to detail and the animation and visuals are sublime. And yeah everything wants to fucking kill me in this! LOL I find a old torn up village with nobody around...fucking Hawks descend upon me trying to kill me. In the early area near your village I went swimming and found a glowing hand stone...only for a Alligator to sneak up on me and try kill me which scared the shit out of me and I had no idea they were in this game!!! LOL Night time is just me hiding by a campfire and swinging my club on fire to scare everything the fuck away. Also how cool do the campfires look at night? That beautiful smoky haze especially when you see one off in the distance just makes them look all too real.

I think one of the biggest "HOLY SHIT WTF?!" moments came right after doing the first "Beast Master" quest and tame. It's night time and I'm with my beast when I hear a whole bunch of commotion going on, people screaming, wolves howling...seems like the Udan are fending off a pack of wolves...when all of a sudden a wolf thats been set ablaze comes running down the hill and right past me with a fire trail behind and it and in a few short seconds the entire forest is a blaze!!!

Digging the combat. Melee feels exactly like Skyrim to me which I had no bones about, but I know a lot of people did and do, and it has just the right amount of crunch and feedback for me. Coolest kill so far was a Udan running at him and taking the bow and shooting off 1 arrow to hit him square in the forehead...his neck snapped back and his momentum kept him running for a second before he collapsed and rolled by my feet.

So yeah, again absolutely loving it. This was one of those "well that sounds different, I'll check it out eventually" when I heard about it and from you guys raving about it I caved and got it and I'm glad I did. I guess one of the major cons could be repetition as with all open world games but I'm nowhere near there really as the setting and atmosphere are entertaining and this game is becoming a huge time sink when you don't realize it. I got on to play for a couple hours last night around 10pm....at 2:30am my wife comes in the living room to inform me what time it is. LOL

You may have just sold a copy.

ryseing

Ya, the fuck was up with that?

Extra busy work? I dunno. Very dumb design decision.

I'm really thinking about buying this. I love the setting and I've always wanted an open world game set in B.C. Plus, I love Far Cry, so it seems right up my alley. I just keep reading disparaging things about the combat and length.

It's easily a 20+ hour game. Large world, plenty of activities. FWIW the ranged combat is decent, especially once you get the sling+bow upgrades.

Walpurgis

Banned
So far as I've seen night time is just darker and can have some unique animals that only come out at that time. I don't know whether animals are tougher or more aggro or if they travel in larger packs at night - its possible, but if true its not by a large degree.

There are no survival mechanics in the way you're thinking - no need to eat or drink or scavenge to survive. You collect in order to unlock gear and upgrades and progress the story.

The only survival bits I've come across are eating meat to heal injuries (its a medpack basically), and the high north having a cold meter that limits your time in that area without fire or heavier clothing. That small cold mechanic is a nice touch, but it only hints at what this game could be if it was truly fleshed out.

Thanks. It still looks fun but yeah, there is definitely potential for more. I hope they have a hardcore difficulty level as DLC or in a sequel.

owlbeak

Played practically all day. Really enjoying the hell out of this game. I think it will be remembered quite fondly down the road.

Walpurgis

Banned
Isn't the day one update for an extreme mode?

I just googled it and you're right. It's not what I had in mind though. I was thinking some kind of survival/hardcore mode that changed the whole game. :p

Ubisoft said:
Expert Mode Changes:
  • Players’ health has been halved compared to Hard difficulty.
  • Reduced players aim assist.
  • AI shoots faster by 1/3
  • Enemies in combat are not shown on mini map by default (they appear only if they are tagged).
  • It takes the AI a longer time to “forget” you when you hide
  • The aim assist box is reduced for several weapon types (bow, club, spear)
  • The player damage is reduced
http://far-cry.ubisoft.com/primal/en-US/news/152-239328-16/day-one-patch

ctfg23

I swear I've killed everyone in (outpost name)
Kapal Outpost
but it won't trigger the completion. I've used the owl and have been sprinting around the area and there are no enemies left. This happen to anyone else?

Edit: It randomly triggered after running around for forever

Kapal Outpost
but it won't trigger the completion. I've used the owl and have been sprinting around the area and there are no enemies left. This happen to anyone else?

It happened to me with one of the underground outposts in the North. Not sure if it's the same one you're talking about.

Kapal Outpost

One outpost wouldn't trigger for me, so I gave up. When I went back to it the next day, after turning everything off, it worked fine. It triggered quickly. This was an underground one in the north as well (I think it's in near the middle, just above a bonfire).

There was also a protect the Wenja environment quest that glitched on me, because enemies stopped appearing. It worked the next day, too.

Carm

I have a questions about the main quest. Do the main village NPC main quests flow into the Izilia or whatever tribe assault? I was exploring the map and found the gate to their territory. After testing to see if I could break it down riding a sabertooth, instead of a mammoth, new quests popped up for that region. I reverted to an earlier save before I went there just in case I ended things to early after seeing some saying XP stops.

I have a questions about the main quest. Do the main village NPC main quests flow into the Izilia or whatever tribe assault? I was exploring the map and found the gate to their territory. After testing to see if I could break it down riding a sabertooth, instead of a mammoth, new quests popped up for that region. I reverted to an earlier save before I went there just in case I ended things to early after seeing some saying XP stops.

If I recall correctly (my memory is bad):

You'll be asked to save some captives who the Izila have at one of their large outposts. There, you'll meet their big bad lady and then you'll have a big outpost with a general and a boss battle to deal with.

Kapal Outpost

Happened to me today. Maybe it was a coincidence, since I was running around for like 5 minutes before it worked, but the cutscene only played after I selected my current tamed beast to go away.

ryseing

Man, this game is exactly what I needed right now, especially after Techland fucked up Dying Light. It's just entertaining and sometimes that's all a game needs to be.

g23

European pre-madonna
anyone have an idea when this game unlocks on Uplay PC? Seems like everyone else can play this game but me :(

antitrop

Why do you say they fucked up DL? Because of the buggy?

That's what I was thinking. One of my favorite things about DL was the parkour and the buggy in a more open environment doesn't appeal to me in the least.

I even already have the season pass from the Gamestop screwup and I liked it enough to Plat, but don't feel like going back.

killroy87

Just got my Platinum. 28 hours, 78%, and 292 villagers. The last thing I had to do was unlock all the skills, which proved to be a big pain in the ass considering I was running out of content that was giving me a decent amount of xp or skill points. I had to work harder and harder, it's like the game was actually running out of gas.

That said, I liked it enough to plat it, so that's saying something. I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed my time with this game, it's my personal favourite far cry by a mile. I really wish this game would get a sequel, though I know that's a long shot. I can't quite put my finger on why this clicked with me so well while the others didn't, but I'm glad it did. I give most of the credit to the environment and atmosphere. This is probably one of my all time favourite game worlds.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
We ever fast travel when you can riDE a sabertooth tiger? The wind in your hair...leaves whizzing by your head...eating RanDom goons?

This game is a blast

Top Bottom