• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal |OT| The Land Before Towers

Fishook

Reading this thread, has just made me realise I am bored stupid with open world games, with too much pointless filler. The setting does not click with me, perhaps I getting old or this formula has become too predictable,

ryseing

Reading this thread, has just made me realise I am bored stupid with open world games, with too much pointless filler. The setting does not click with me, perhaps I getting old or this formula has become too predictable,

I mean, it is a Ubisoft Game (TM) with all of the inherent design decisions for their games. Primal hides it better than most but if you're not interested in the setting there's nothing really for you here.

Anung

Un Rama
After all the good word of mouth from this thread I grabbed this today. First thing I'm going to do is turn off all the HUD elements.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
After all the good word of mouth from this thread I grabbed this today. First thing I'm going to do is turn off all the HUD elements.
There are a few that are helpful in the beginning, but as you learn the game, you can dial them down.

The gather updates I still keep on. And health gauge is good in the beginning. Interaction icons, I eventually turned off, but it was after i'd played 10 or so hours.

killroy87

I'm almost sad that I'm out of worthwhile content in this game, I really enjoyed just being in the world.

Even more sad that we almost certainly will never get a Primal 2.

TotalBisquit says MAJOR PC performance issues....

Gamersyde review copy says fluid PC performance.

duck-season-rabbit-season.gif

LOL So true as well.

So thanks GAF, after all your positive impressions and screenshots within this thread I went ahead and cropped the digital version yesterday and...good lawd holy shit. Absolutely loving it. So a spew of words is going to follow now...lol

My friends saw me playing it last night and asked how it was and the best way I could describe it for them was if Far Cry had a wonderful love child with Skyrim (we all LOVE Skyrim), Dying Light and The Beast Master with the brutality and original language that helps completely immerse you like Apocalypto....just all of it set in the Stone Age so everything wants to kill you. So I managed to sell a few copies of the game then.
Though they never heard of The Beast Master or Marc Singer so I have to get new friends now.

So much attention to detail and the animation and visuals are sublime. And yeah everything wants to fucking kill me in this! LOL I find a old torn up village with nobody around...fucking Hawks descend upon me trying to kill me. In the early area near your village I went swimming and found a glowing hand stone...only for a Alligator to sneak up on me and try kill me which scared the shit out of me and I had no idea they were in this game!!! LOL Night time is just me hiding by a campfire and swinging my club on fire to scare everything the fuck away. Also how cool do the campfires look at night? That beautiful smoky haze especially when you see one off in the distance just makes them look all too real.

I think one of the biggest "HOLY SHIT WTF?!" moments came right after doing the first "Beast Master" quest and tame. It's night time and I'm with my beast when I hear a whole bunch of commotion going on, people screaming, wolves howling...seems like the Udan are fending off a pack of wolves...when all of a sudden a wolf thats been set ablaze comes running down the hill and right past me with a fire trail behind and it and in a few short seconds the entire forest is a blaze!!!

Digging the combat. Melee feels exactly like Skyrim to me which I had no bones about, but I know a lot of people did and do, and it has just the right amount of crunch and feedback for me. Coolest kill so far was a Udan running at him and taking the bow and shooting off 1 arrow to hit him square in the forehead...his neck snapped back and his momentum kept him running for a second before he collapsed and rolled by my feet.

So yeah, again absolutely loving it. This was one of those "well that sounds different, I'll check it out eventually" when I heard about it and from you guys raving about it I caved and got it and I'm glad I did. I guess one of the major cons could be repetition as with all open world games but I'm nowhere near there really as the setting and atmosphere are entertaining and this game is becoming a huge time sink when you don't realize it. I got on to play for a couple hours last night around 10pm....at 2:30am my wife comes in the living room to inform me what time it is. LOL

As another poster said already, you just sold a fucking copy, LOL

SJRB

Gold Member
"Holy shit a HUGE cave bear just killed my lion and is coming at me"
*lights arrow on fire and shoots it at bear*
"That should take of things"
*Plot twist - cave bears don't fear fire, so now this huge burning beast is coming at me, literally burning everything in its wake. I run like fuck while half the forest burns down*

I grappled up a cliff, but that was fucking crazy. I also underestimated fire propagation, the forest burns like crazy.

shiba5

"Holy shit a HUGE cave bear just killed my lion and is coming at me"
*lights arrow on fire and shoots it at bear*
"That should take of things"
*Plot twist - cave bears don't fear fire, so now this huge burning beast is coming at me, literally burning everything in its wake. I run like fuck while half the forest burns down*

I grappled up a cliff, but that was fucking crazy. I also underestimated fire propagation, the forest burns like crazy.

I had the same thing happen, but it was a super pissed off flaming mammoth. I thought I was safe up on a cliff. It found a way up.
I also set an eagle on fire, but that was just funny.

its really the only way to enjoy your life. Sit back under a starlit skies and listen to the night...and the screams of slowly puffing up enemies

Wait, there's realistic battle damage? That was one of my favorite little details in AC: Syndicate, enemies actually getting bruised, bloody and swollen in fights. It would be awesome if it returned in future Ubisoft games.

TripOpt55

Got to do some hunts in the past day including one for the special sabertooth which was really neat. Also got to ride him (and a bear) into battle which was fun.

Ready to dig in after work tommorow for a bit on the PC version... Gonna have a great long weekend gaming session to really dig into the world...

Cant wait to see my 980 in action in this open world, as most have stated the world is full of great atmosphere, looking forward to the change of this Far Cry Scenery, need many more games from this era...

Looking forward to jumping into this tonight once it unlocks. I'm excited to see it at 60fps. Sounds like you all had a pretty good time with it.

I hope there is a hud toggle, or at least someone mods it in. I hate having to menu dive to find out where I need to go, but I also hate having HUD icons all the time on my screen.

leng jai

I feel like they did a fine job with the animal population density in this game. Half the time it feels like a David Attenborough voice over should be playing.

shiba5

How the hell do you kill the heavies? Just one of them took out my cave bear AND my saber tooth and took down almost my whole health bar in one hit. Meanwhile, I'm beating him with a fully upgraded two-handed club and it does nothing.
I actually managed to off two of them by hitting them with those berserk shards so they killed each other. Only time I've wished I had the AMR sniper from 3 and 4.

How the hell do you kill the heavies? Just one of them took out my cave bear AND my saber tooth and took down almost my whole health bar in one hit. Meanwhile, I'm beating him with a fully upgraded two-handed club and it does nothing.
I actually managed to off two of them by hitting them with those berserk shards so they killed each other. Only time I've wished I had the AMR sniper from 3 and 4.

They're tough. I usually keep my distance and throw flaming clubs and spears at them, then run up to collect them again. Rinse, repeat. Don't fight those dudes up close. It takes a while, but they go down eventually.

shiba5

They're tough. I usually keep my distance and throw flaming clubs and spears at them, then run up to collect them again. Rinse, repeat. Don't fight those dudes up close. It takes a while, but they go down eventually.

I'll try that. I did wait until dark and kill one by burning his hut down with him in it.

Fangel

Neo Member

Traps one shot them if you can be bothered to lay them down.

i get banned for making fun of kotaku and this jr does a drive by shit post by complaining that an open world ubisoft game is open world

eshwaaz

Looking forward to jumping into this tonight once it unlocks. I'm excited to see it at 60fps. Sounds like you all had a pretty good time with it.

I hope there is a hud toggle, or at least someone mods it in. I hate having to menu dive to find out where I need to go, but I also hate having HUD icons all the time on my screen.
There are an impressive amount of options for customizing the individual elements of the HUD. I think you'll be pleased.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
i get banned for making fun of kotaku and this jr does a drive by shit post by complaining that an open world ubisoft game is open world

A post that expresses an opinion contrary to the majority is not by itself a shitpost. Perhaps if you'd explained why it was "good" that Bethesda and Ubi decided to blacklist Kotaku, you wouldn't have been banned. That's the key difference at play here -- sure, you could infer from his post that his opinion is "this game is bad", but he at least made some effort to delineate why he feels that way.

Simo

As another poster said already, you just sold a fucking copy, LOL

Really? LOL Well at least I'm not in the minority praising the game.

Again,when it was announced it sounded like a neat premise and I didn't really keep an eye on the project or view many trailers but figured I'd check out down the road. Then I clicked in the OT to see how it turned out and the feedback and screenshots took me aback and so the game was actually on my mind for a few days that I couldn't shake until I gave in and bought it. And I'm really fucking glad I did.

My only real reluctance was that Far Cry 4 went on sale what seemed like a dozen times and I didn't wanna drop 60 bones only for it to be half price by the end of the year but then I figured, shit thats a ton of time I can invest in the game and then move on and come back to it before then and really this thing shines AAA production through and through and deserves all the support.

You already know the answer then. I skipped the majority of the Assassin Creed games because I had zero interest in Early America, the French Revolution or Renaissance period but when they tried something different with Black Flag I was all aboard and its my favorite AC game.

Top Bottom