• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal |OT| The Land Before Towers

Alright, where are the Rare Yak? I need these upgraded clothes because I absolutely hate mechanics like the cold meter. None of the Yak I kill in forested areas are rare and I can't find any in the northern location where the map says they should be.

The rare Yak should pop up anywhere the regular ones do. Just look for a scent trail in hunter vision. If I'm having trouble, sometimes I'll kill a few of the regulars to see if that gets a rare to spawn.

GravyButt

Quick question, I bought the digital apex edition for the xb1. How do I activate the owl pack and the "ferocious flame fang sabertooth?" Does the flame fang sabertooth do anything different than a regular sabertooth? I know it said something at the beginning of the game when you first started but I honestly don't remember. Thanks!

Also, does the blood shasti club do anymore damage or anything different than the regular club? Itd be nice if it actually told you. Im not far into the game so im not even sure if you can actually upgrade the club, but if you can, does it also upgrade the the blood shasti club as well?

Okay, I'm confused - were there preorder bonuses for this? I've heard that there were, but it seems like what's listed is just the stuff in the Apex Edition of the game. Is this right?

shiba5

The rare Yak should pop up anywhere the regular ones do. Just look for a scent trail in hunter vision. If I'm having trouble, sometimes I'll kill a few of the regulars to see if that gets a rare to spawn.

I had better luck up north. Found one right away and then killed off the rest of the brown ones and another rare one spawned.
I can't find a striped wolf though.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Alright, where are the Rare Yak? I need these upgraded clothes because I absolutely hate mechanics like the cold meter. None of the Yak I kill in forested areas are rare and I can't find any in the northern location where the map says they should be.

I bagged a rare yak around the area where you get the crafter guy.

Any one know how many outposts are in the game ? The "progress cave" gives the combined number of outposts and bonfires if I recall correctly.

Okay, I'm confused - were there preorder bonuses for this? I've heard that there were, but it seems like what's listed is just the stuff in the Apex Edition of the game. Is this right?

pre-order bonus was the Legend of The Mammoth missions...Apex Edition includes that already plus other extras

Is this how animals are supposed to look? =\

farcryprimal2016-3-1-hxu4j.jpg

farcryprimal2016-3-1-gzu5t.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I am not really into the story. It's pretty much a neanderthal's tale. The gameplay isn't bad. The environments look great (which has already been said). I'm skipping the cutscenes and focusing on just playing it or getting absorbed into the world.

I'm playing it on PC with my settings on High.

Far_Cry_Primal2016_3_2_0_4_5.jpg

It's the BC-Typical Far Cry.

carlsojo

I think any game could be improved with dinosaurs, but this one in particular is just begging for a T-Rex to come stomping through fucking shit up.

MattyG

Banned
Just finished the
Udam attack.
I'm really liking it so far. Haven't got much of a chance to stealth, but I love the environment and all the Mesolithic stuff. It's a nice change of pace. I can see it getting a bit old with such a limited weapon set though.

I'm finding myself hoping this will become it's own series apart from Far Cry proper. Maybe the next one could be bronze age or something like that. Though I am also getting the itch to buy 4 and give it another shot.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
So...

I just beat Fire Lady in that long quest at the south of the map. I've also killed every other major tribe's leader. Does this game have a definitive "end"? If so, do I just need to finish up all the outposts to access it? Otherwise I'm at a loss. Doesn't really seem like anything my character has left to do (all of the opposing tribes are dead, in other words)

adj_noun

So...

I just beat Fire Lady in that long quest at the south of the map. I've also killed every other major tribe's leader. Does this game have a definitive "end"? If so, do I just need to finish up all the outposts to access it? Otherwise I'm at a loss. Doesn't really seem like anything my character has left to do (all of the opposing tribes are dead, in other words)

Yes, the game has a definitive end. You'll know 'cause the credits roll. I got it after finishing all story missions.

daman824

Ubisoft really needs to steer this series in a survival direction. remove guns and vehicles from the series for the foreseeable future, add weather that affects how you play the game/how the ai acts (rain that makes it harder to hear, fog that makes it harder to see), remove the mini-map and add a paper map you can quickly pull out instead, and add some basic hunger/sleep mechanics that get more intense at higher difficulties.

I never finished far cry 4, and wasn't looking forward to this game at all. But I ended up buying it because there is nothing else to play around this time of the year. And now I'm hooked

Dominator

Jesus, that
Ull
fight was insane. I got his bar empty andit glithched so he kept going! This went on for like 10 minutes until I called in a beast to hit him and for some reason that triggered the kill. I really didn't want to restart so I'm glad I didn't have to.

Malus

Just got the game today.

First impressions: It's alright. Really colorful, which is nice. Nothing about it is really jumping out at me though, aside from various bloodthirsty animals lol. The sequence where you get the owl is really cool.

G_Berry

Banned
Jesus, that
Ull
fight was insane. I got his bar empty andit glithched so he kept going! This went on for like 10 minutes until I called in a beast to hit him and for some reason that triggered the kill. I really didn't want to restart so I'm glad I didn't have to.
Same thing happened to me.

Okay, been playing for a few hours and some impressions. Generally I like it. It's still Far Cry but different enough to be interesting for me. Looks pretty good, but I've not seen much of the world yet. Could'nt help but think some of the textures were a little low res (on PC here) but overall not too bad.
Now gameplay. Melee combat is the basis of the game but I can't block or anything? Does that come as a skill upgrade later? Also Bears are cunts and there are too many of the fuckers. But bee bombs are fun.
So yeah, I like it. Not a great game but it's fun. Looking forward to taming a Sabertooth tiger!

Really loved my initial 5 hour after work stint on the game running on PC.

The world is beautiful. Simply amazing sounds and feel from dusk to dawn to night. I Juse roamed for hours doing the first story chapter, while collecting everything in sight, hunting, watching the damn owls pick up deers and flying uplease in the air with them and then dropping them. Watching the animals fight each other, and just taking in the sighs and sounds.

This is one of the best atmospheric games ever to just hanget out and roam in... Really great job and can't wait to dig in more....

antitrop

I legit hit him for 10 minutes when he was at 1% HP. Has to be some kind of bug.

Similar thing happened to me. I cleared the entire outpost, including the Boss Commander, but it didn't trigger. Fast travel'd out of the area, came back, and beat him again and it captured that time.

The buggiest things I came across in this game were trying to capture outposts and the grappling hook glitching out and clipping me through the environment, getting stuck in geometry, and being forced to fast travel out. Other than that, it was pretty polished for an open world game.

There were 3 times where I got stuck with the grappling hook and was forced to fast travel, where that never happened once in my 40 hours of Far Cry 4.

TiVo

FYI you can turn off search animation so you don't have to watch him manhandle every human, skin animals, plant & branch breaking animations

Anung

Un Rama
Anyone know where to get rare lions and rare jaguar skins? Been running around their locations for ages.

EDIT: Just found a Rare Lion.

antitrop

Anyone know where to get rare lions and rare jaguar skins? Been running around their locations for ages.

EDIT: Just found a Rare Lion.

I never specifically hunted for any Rare animal skins, I found them all from collectibles. Usually those bags you have to swim deep to the bottom of a lake for, or shoot out of a tree, or just laying around huts in outposts.

Of course, it was all luck, since the loot is random.

Anung

Un Rama
I never specifically hunted for any Rare animal skins, I found them all from collectibles. Usually those bags you have to swim deep to the bottom of a lake for, or shoot out of a tree, or just laying around huts in outposts.

Of course, it was all luck, since the loot is random.

The first jaguar I ran across after changing areas was a rare one haha.

pots555

I only need a rare deer skin to upgrade the final hut! I never had one in 18 hours of play. Don't know where to find one. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

pots555

I only need a rare deer skin to upgrade the final hut! I never had one in 18 hours of play. Don't know where to find one. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

This game is huge. Just having fun doing missions and exploring the world. The legendary hunts are amazing.

Sorry for the double post. My mistake.

hbkdx12

Having lots of fun with the game (mainly due to taming/using beasts) but totally agree with Jeff that it all feels like a giant sidequest. Virtually everything you do is in service of gaining materials to craft things or getting skill points to blow out your skill tree which is broken down based on different individuals in the village and open up to you depending on many missions you've done for them and/or if you've upgraded their hut.

To be fair, i'm perfectly fine with this but i don't feel like there's any motivation for me to be focusing on anything other than gathering and upgrading.

I like the companion aspect. I've tamed all the beasts with the exception of 4 or 5. I love how if you're walking around with a saber or a cave bear other predatory animals (wolves, jaguars, etc) will not even fuck with you and just run away.

As far as weaponry, upgrading the spear needs to be everyone's priority. Getting the materials for it can be a pain but i've upgraded it to the second to last level and i've headshotted mammoths with one thrown spear (would they die from a headshot regardless? lol :p)

adj_noun

I got both of mine from my tribe gathering 'em themselves.

Use detective vision and rare animals will leave a trail you can follow. There's really no tips on where to find rare animals as far as I know. Rare deer spawn where deer spawn, just less frequently.

The Heape

Neo Member
I am trying to go for 100% completion everything is done except the missions. I have just looked in my cave after finishing the collectable hunt, for my journey missions it says 12/13.
On the wall the mission that I'm missing is in between Batari to Ashes and Tensays Story.

antitrop

As far as weaponry, upgrading the spear needs to be everyone's priority. Getting the materials for it can be a pain but i've upgraded it to the second to last level and i've headshotted mammoths with one thrown spear (wouldy they die from a headshot regardless? lol :p)

Throwing a spear does significantly more damage than stabbing them with it. Like... 5x as much damage.

d00d3n

Craft an upgrade to the quiver. You'll need feathers.

But that increases the maximum number of arrows? How do I actually get more arrows to shoot? Only lootable from enemies?

I wasted me five last arrows trying to shoot down a stash of hides (that I already had the max capacity of) ... :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Game is fun and beautiful on my PC

Love the gameplay

Don't know why I couldn't finish far cry 4

Possibly because Far Cry 4 is little more than 3 in a slightly different setting. Mechanically and structurally it's but a stone's throw from being completely identical.

Unit24

Uh oh. I've been enjoying Primal quite a lot over the past few days, but the Ubisoft game fatigue is starting to set in again. I should finish up the story before I completely burn out and lose interest.

hbkdx12

Throwing a spear does significantly more damage than stabbing them with it. Like... 5x as much damage.

That i knew, i just mean would a thrown base level spear still be a OHK from a headshot on a larger animal like mammoths versus an upgraded one.

Possibly because Far Cry 4 is little more than 3 in a slightly different setting. Mechanically and structurally it's but a stone's throw from being completely identical.

I also didn't like the story beats

Both the main guy and girl in fc4 weren't likable at all

Top Bottom