• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fast Racing Neo Review Thread

It was there, but I edited it out right after I posted it, I'm genuinely curious about it getting a release, I just didn't want to derail it in to people complaining about me "port begging".

I have NAN on Wii U and PS4 and definitely played it more on PS4, but that was more a timing window than anything else.
They've said the only port they're likely to do in the future is to the NX. NANX did really poorly for them.

Once again just too many games to buy in a short period of time on the Wii U. I've been jealous of others playing XBX but then reading the reviews of this...well, I want this.

Pros:
  • I have fond memories of F-Zero.
Cons:
  • This game is in the same genre as F-Zero, but is not F-Zero. What's up with that?
Graphics: 9/10
Gameplay: 8/10
Intangible Stylishness: 5/10
Handling: Probably terrible. I watched a video.
Dynamism of Shadows: 2/10

Overall: 7/10. I mean, it's not F-Zero.

NateDrake

Here is my own bit of advice for you those playing the game or will soon be playing: On the higher speeds you need to anticipate turns and when to use your boost. You can't release the accelator on a turn and hope to take it tight. You need to anticipate the turn, release the accelator, sort of like a drift. Whenever you see an area of the track lacking color boosts, you need to be using your own boost power. Time things right and you'll be coming out of your boost right around the time a color boost shows up. You really need to learn the tracks to do well on the higher speeds because one error or crash and you are doomed.

Davey Cakes

Even in Mario Kart 8's 200CC mode you have to anticipate turns more and plan your moves somewhat ahead of time, at least in comparison to 150CC and below.

Makes sense that higher speeds/difficulties in FRN follow the same principle.

That said, it sounds pretty damn hardcore.

It looks like it doesn't really play like F-Zero, I'm getting Wipeout vibes tbh
Nothing about this game ever looked or sounded much like F-Zero other than the fact that it's a futuristic sci-fi racer on a Nintendo console.

Pros:
Cons:
  • This game is in the same genre as F-Zero, but is not F-Zero. What's up with that?

lol...it took me until "Intangible Stylishness" to realize what this was. I marinated on that for a few seconds trying to figure out what the fuck it meant.

gamerMan

It's inevitable that this gets compared with F-Zero but it's a bit unfair. Nintendo games feel so good that no other developer will be able to match them, but this still looks amazing. I can't wait to play it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Pros:
Cons:

Put that in the OT.

Wanderer5

Did the games bragged on being a spirital successor to f-zero or something heh? I guess it was bound to happen either way. Looks great in its own right; maybe I look into it later on.

Simbabbad

I think a lot of complaining is about what the game isn't.
Then again, a lot of hype/praise was about what it isn't, too. In every single hype thread, people were all: "this will replace F-Zero", "no need for F-Zero any more", "Nintendo, hire those guys to make the next F-Zero". Having played the first one, I said this shouldn't be confused with F-Zero. So I'm not surprised some people are let down.

In any case, I'll buy it, it seems like the gameplay is above the usual Shin'en level.

Gnomist

Hey guys. I'm wondering if anyone with hands-on experience can give me their impressions. This game looks like it could scratch an itch I've been having for about a decade, but I'd like to hear from someone here. Can anyone give me their thoughts of the toggling mechanic and boost system and how (or if) they relate to one another. Does it allow for the making of interesting risk/reward choices? It looks like we collect orbs that power our personal boost mechanic, but is there more to it? Does it interact with the toggling boost strips or the ship's polarity in a meaningful way? Thanks in advance!

AdanVC

How is the soundtrack in this game? been reading some reviews but none of them talk about the soundtrack. Hope it has some catchy electronic tunes like Ef-Zero

Here is my own bit of advice for you those playing the game or will soon be playing: On the higher speeds you need to anticipate turns and when to use your boost. You can't release the accelator on a turn and hope to take it tight. You need to anticipate the turn, release the accelator, sort of like a drift. Whenever you see an area of the track lacking color boosts, you need to be using your own boost power. Time things right and you'll be coming out of your boost right around the time a color boost shows up. You really need to learn the tracks to do well on the higher speeds because one error or crash and you are doomed.

Sounds good!

How is the soundtrack in this game? been reading some reviews but none of them talk about the soundtrack. Hope it has some catchy electronic tunes like Ef-Zero

Do you have Nano Assault Neo???

Seems up to that standard.

Maybe not the catchiest music of all time but very competent and professional techno fare.

Man I'm glad this game is good. I unfortunately, I just can't really get into racing games anymore. I think the plethora of racers on the N64 has soured me for life.

But just $15...

AdanVC

Do you have Nano Assault Neo???

Seems up to that standard.

Maybe not the catchiest music of all time but very competent and professional techno fare.

Excellentttt. Judging by the trailer and some gameplay videos I just saw it seems it would have nice techno tunes. I need to download Nano Assault Neo as well... gotta support this guys work!

And here's our review.

The Outerhaven 8.8/10
9/10 The team over at Shin'en have crafted a fast and futuristic racing title in the vein of F-zero and Wipeout. In fact I would go as far as to say that Fast Racing NEO is definitely a nod or a homage to those past racing giants. Even still, Fast Racing NEO has it's own set of features and tricks that make it stand out on it's one, from the beautiful and attractive backgrounds that will ultimately make you crash if you pay attention to them instead of the track, to a mechanic that rewards players that have split second reflexes. With the addition of multiplayer options as well as a smooth 60 frames per second, makes this easily of the better Wii U racing out there, maybe even a little better than a certain racer that features a certain plumber.

I touched base on that in my review, actually. If you're looking for F-zero catchy tunes, you're going to be disappointed.
Sadly while this game does remind me of F-zero, there are no F-zero inspired racing themes in the game. The music goes a fairly good job of providing a fast and uptempo futuristic vibe, however I found much of the music pretty generic.

So if the base game is as solid as the reviews suggest... then this is a great chance for both Shinen and Nintendo to colaborate and offer Fzero related DLC for this game.

Guest Fzero characters, ships and tracks recreations. Is a nice opportunity for Nintendo to give some spotlight to the Fzero franchise with minimal investment and from there gauge how plausible a new entry in the series is.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
So if the base game is as solid as the reviews suggest... then this is a great chance for both Shinen and Nintendo to colaborate and offer Fzero related DLC for this game.

Guest Fzero characters, ships and tracks recreations. Is a nice opportunity for Nintendo to give some spotlight to the Fzero franchise with minimal investment and from there gauge how plausible a new entry in the series is.

Except the game plays nothing like F Zero.

MIMF

Despite I love this game and will play it to death, after watching the gamersyde footage it has been a very bad surprise to see the game resolution, it looks 640x480 to me with no AA and it was supposed to be 1280x720.

I do not care about the numbers and of course WiiU is not the console where to expect very complex graphics, but it is hard not be disappointed by such a low IQ.

jariw

Despite I love this game and will play it to death, after watching the gamersyde footage it has been a very bad surprise to see the game resolution, it looks 640x480 to me with no AA and it was supposed to be 1280x720.

I do not care about the numbers and of course WiiU is not the console where to expect very complex graphics, but it is hard not be disappointed by such a low IQ.

So you're saying that all the reviews that say that the visuals are fantastic are wrong?

MIMF

So you're saying that all the reviews that say that the visuals are fantastic are wrong?

Of course not. I take rock solid 60fps above anything else and I am not saying the visuals are bad in this game because they are not, not everything is resolution.

What I say is that the resolution in this game is very low (and therefore its IQ) and it was not something expected, at least for me. Please check it out yourself watching uncompressed footage from the game:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_our_videos_of_fast_racing_neo-17377_en.html

Of course not. I take rock solid 60fps above anything else and I am not saying the visuals are bad in this game because they are not, not everything is resolution.

What I say is that the resolution in this game is very low (and therefore its IQ) and it was not something expected, at least for me. Please check it out yourself watching uncompressed footage from the game:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_our_videos_of_fast_racing_neo-17377_en.html

You're shocked that this game has the same native resolution as virtually every other Wii U game?

MIMF

You're shocked that this game has the same native resolution as virtually every other Wii U game?

Please check out for instance the video from scorpio circuit and pause it at second 43. Does the background look like 1280x720 to you? It looks much lower to me.

Please check out for instance the video from scorpio circuit and pause it at second 43. Does the background look like 1280x720 to you? It looks much lower to me.

The game is confirmed 720p by the developer. I don't know what to tell you about your ability or inability to see that.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Keep in mind those are non-native-res videos - 1080p videos were already upscaled from the native 720p, and then you scale them to whatever your display's resolution is, if you play them full-screen.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I downloaded the video and tried to see what you saw. My take on this is that you never heard of motion blur before.

Except the game plays nothing like F Zero.
Having a character or a track layout from Fzero doesn't pose any problem for the game's playability. Tying these types of elements to a quality "futuristic racer" would be a nice bone to have for fans of Fzero and could open up the possibility for a future iteration of the series either internally developed or outsorced (with Shinen for consideration).

It is so easy to grasp i can't believe i have to explain myself here XD

The game is 720p, like the majority of Wii U games. The motion blur is rendered at half res, so maybe that's what you're perceiving as low resolution. But the game does output at 720p.

Also, due to the speed of the game and how fast the pixels are changing on screen, the bitrate is going to affect the quality of the footage. In person, the game will look much cleaner and clearer.

Top Bottom