• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Faster loading (ps5) vs more power (xsx) ?

Faster loading (ps5) vs more power (xsx)

• Faster loading ps5

Votes: 245 45.1%
  • More power xsx

Votes: 298 54.9%

• Total voters

skneogaf

Being serious. Also less with the fanatics trolling. I did not insult you, calling someone a fanatic is for the brainless and stupid, do you fall into that category ?

Do you think an L1 cache feeding 10 CU at 2.23 Ghz will be more or less efficient than an L1 cache feeding 14 CU at 1.825 Ghz ?

They are NOT THE SAME ARCHITECTURE are they.

Do you think RDNA2 PC parts will have big 14 CU shader arrays ?

The shader arrays are larger as likely MS wanted 4 of them for a server design primarily (4 instances)

You stick with your TF, simple numbers eh ?

Okay I apologise for the fanatic slur so playstation enthusiast from now on.

Like I said we shall see which was the best way but both are very similar and you're right in that some developers may not be able to get the best out of the xbox but far too many people are saying that the xbox series x is the more powerful so I thought it would be of use to see what some of us preferred when it came to perceived benefits of each system.

Which do you prefer if what I have said was actually correct? Seconds or performance?

Last edited:

geordiemp

Okay I apologise for the fanatic slur so playstation enthusiast from now on.

Like I said we shall see which was the best way but both are very similar and you're right in that some developers may not be able to get the best out of the xbox but far too many people are saying that the xbox series x is the more powerful so I thought it would of use to see what some of us preferred when it came to perceived benefits of each system.

Which do you prefer if what I have said was actually correct? Seconds or performance?

Performance wise they will be similar is my take, loading will be about 5 x faster on Ps5.

But I await some benchmarks to see how close the performance is. Its not s simple as TF, or clock speeds, or caches.

I will get an XSX down the road if a new evil within pops up.

Last edited:

skneogaf

Performance wise they will be similar is my take, loading will be about 5 x faster on Ps5.

But I await some benchmarks to see how close the performance is. Its not s simple as TF, or clock speeds, or caches.

I will get an XSX down the road if a new evil within pops up.

5 times faster is revolutionary if true so I hope that comes to be.

I care more about power, honestly, on face value. Loading is whatever for me, as long as we're not talking 1.01 Bloodborne or Metal Gear Solid 4 levels of loading. I often like the loading screens as means of reflecting over my mistakes and they often additionally punish you for recklessness as in the case of the Soulsborne series. They also give me some mental prep time as I'm starting a game, getting comfortable and building anticipation.
Generally, how much of a difference in either direction is the loading and the power going? Likely not mind blowingly, meaning it doesn't really matter at all.

95% of the ps5 and XSX library is going to be third party and they wont take advantage of it.....you have years of PC having SSDs to reference this fact
the only devs that will take advantage will be Sony first parties which have one solution and MS and their first parties which have their own tech

Bottom line is you will most likely load into a 3rd party game a few seconds faster on a ps5 than a XSX

Caio

XSX SSD and Velocity architecture is fast for both streaming and loading times, but PS5 is faster.
PS5 has a very capable combo CPU/GPU, but XSX is more powerful. Shall I care ? Just give me the games which take advantage of these hardware.
The developers will make the difference, I just want to play Spiderman, Gow of War 2, GT7, Forza Horizon 5, The new Fable, Fallout 5, Elder Scrolls VI, new IP from Naughty Dog, Horizon FW, etc.

I would love to see MS helping Bethesda to develop a better Engine for Fallout5, mostly the physics and collision system engine.

It's pretty safe to say that almost nobody has a vrr tv compatible right now and this fact is not gonna magically change in the next years, a shitload of people still play on trash 1080p lcd...

Framerate being unstable is gonna be a thing during comparison of third party games in these console and if devs are not lazy fuckers, sex is gonna have the upper hand and only fanboys can prefer better loading times compared to unstable framerate, there are games where you don't see a load screen for hours (open world or even wide open story driven games like tlou2) but every second of gameplay can be afflicted by shitty framerate, it's not even a question or something that need much thinking.

My TV has VRR. All Samsung QLEDs since 2018 have VRR.

FrankWza

It's pretty safe to say that almost nobody has a vrr tv compatible right now and this fact is not gonna magically change in the next years, a shitload of people still play on trash 1080p lcd...

Framerate being unstable is gonna be a thing during comparison of third party games in these console and if devs are not lazy fuckers, sex is gonna have the upper hand and only fanboys can prefer better loading times compared to unstable framerate, there are games where you don't see a load screen for hours (open world or even wide open story driven games like tlou2) but every second of gameplay can be afflicted by shitty framerate, it's not even a question or something that need much thinking.

you think just because you don’t see a load screen the game isn’t loading while you’re “playing” ? What about draw distance?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
My TV has VRR. All Samsung QLEDs since 2018 have VRR.
And this disprove my point how exactly?

Majority of people still doesn't have vrr compatible tv, so no, vrr is not a definitive solution to shitty framerate or lack of power.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
you think just because you don’t see a load screen the game isn’t loading while you’re “playing” ? What about draw distance?
I'm perfectly okay with tricks to hide loading times like we do now, i'm still not okay with shaky framerate.

For the draw distance i want to see something concrete in some actual games before pulling my hairs out, also it's not like sex has a slow shitty ssd incapable of doing what ps5 does, and devs always design their games for the lowest common denominator, so basically only sony ps5 exclusive are gonna fully use the ssd inside the console, 95% of third party games are gonna have the same tricks to hide loading in both console.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Let's also not forget the series X has a 2x real time compression that effectively evens the playing field (or at least a lot closer) when it comes to the next gen games.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I forgot that ssd speeds are what give us amazing games. Games like RDR2, The Last of Us 2, Bloodborne, Forza Horizon, etc are only possible with super duper cerny SSDs, right?

So many people on here are going to be incredibly disappointed when the only thing the Cerny Magic SSD gives them is slightly faster loading times while 99% of games look and perform better on the Series X.

No, those games are possible on incredibly slow HDDs. Obviously. Behind which is some very smart engineering and clever workarounds. If you think going from 50 MB/s to 5.5 GB/s (more after decompression) won't make new things possible (gameplay, world design, etc), and all it will do is make load times shorter, you have very poor imagination.

THE DUCK

No, those games are possible on incredibly slow HDDs. Obviously. Behind which is some very smart engineering and clever workarounds. If you think going from 50 MB/s to 5.5 GB/s (more after decompression) won't make new things possible (gameplay, world design, etc), and all it will do is make load times shorter, you have very poor imagination.

The question really isn't can new things be possible, as it will be on both machines, the bigger question is does it really affect gameplay in a meaningful way. In terms of developers not having to hide levels streaming behind caves, doors, etc, yes, understood, but it applies to both machines, that bottleneck is gone.
So this is where it leaves us with both consoles are capable of next generation load times, why the increased power the GPU is more useful.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The question really isn't can new things be possible, as it will be on both machines, the bigger question is does it really affect gameplay in a meaningful way. In terms of developers not having to hide levels streaming behind caves, doors, etc, yes, understood, but it applies to both machines, that bottleneck is gone.
So this is where it leaves us with both consoles are capable of next generation load times, why the increased power the GPU is more useful.

A game that utilizes the PS5 SSD to its fullest would obviously face issues on XSX. We probably won't see much of that in 3rd party games though (especially since those will also be targeting HDDs for a few more years), so it will be hard to get really good comparisons of this.

Last edited:

BGs

Industry Professional
4goyjb.jpg

Naked Lunch

The fact that this is even a question is fucking retarded?
This is the "battleground" that "console wars" are fought on now?

Load times are irrelevant. I dont buy a game because it has quick load times.

I do buy the version of a game that has the better framerate.

The jury is still out on which platform that will be...

Last edited:

THE DUCK

A game that utilizes the PS5 SSD to its fullest would obviously face issues on XSX. We probably won't see much of that in 3rd party games though (especially since those will also be targeting HDDs for a few more years), so it will be hard to get really good comparisons of this.

Not really, as the Series X has 2x real time hardware level decompression, so it's actual bandwidth for loading data is very similar. It's capable of 4.8Gbs throughput vs 5.5Gbs. There is not much difference there.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not really, as the Series X has 2x real time hardware level decompression, so it's actual bandwidth for loading data is very similar. It's capable of 4.8Gbs throughput vs 5.5Gbs. There is not much difference there.

PS5 is capable of 9-17 GB/s after (hardware) decompression. 5.5 GB/s is the raw speed with no compression.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

PS5 is capable of 9-17 GB/s after (hardware) decompression. 5.5 GB/s is the raw speed with no compression.

I took a look, looks like they are saying 8-9 GB, not 17GB. My mistake, but does the extra speed actually mean anything in terms of gameplay?

I prefer Xbox overall power but I'll get a PS5 and enjoy tf out of that too.

If the load times were the second coming of Jesus as some claim, we wouldn't be hitting October without being flooded with demos and examples.
But we already had a few demos, one PS4 demo and 2 PS5 demos. Games (PS4 and PS5) load from 0.8sec to 2sec.

NickFire

In a world without Series S that power differential would almost certainly win the argument for my money. But with Series S in the mix, I feel strongly that the choice (outside of exclusives of course) is between unprecedented performance gains, and winning Digital Foundry comparisons by the nose.

Faster loading is just theoretical, much more than the power differential. Real world performance differences on comparable games (non first party) will be negligeable.

Xbox's bigger gpu will definitely show more (again, only on comparable games).

Last edited:
And this disprove my point how exactly?

Majority of people still doesn't have vrr compatible tv, so no, vrr is not a definitive solution to shitty framerate or lack of power.

By your logic, since you say most people have 1080p TVs, then 4k 60fps is off the table and PS5 has plenty of power for 1080p, which in that case faster SSD will be more of a benefit for these users than extra power.

Regardless, VRR is a mitigating solution for end users whereas there is no mitigating solution for slower SSD/IO stack.

Esca

Normally I'd cost power but with the gap being so small and work diminishing returns I probably won't notice any difference there may be. In the other hand having much faster load times is a big quality of life thing to me for the way I am.

Ultimately until they are out and we have games to compare its to close to say either way till the numbers speak

GymWolf

Gold Member
By your logic, since you say most people have 1080p TVs, then 4k 60fps is off the table and PS5 has plenty of power for 1080p, which in that case faster SSD will be more of a benefit for these users than extra power.

Regardless, VRR is a mitigating solution for end users whereas there is no mitigating solution for slower SSD/IO stack.
there is no problem to mitigate when 95% ot total games (third party) are gonna use the slower ssd on sex as a baseline, 5 sec of loading instead of 2 sec is not a problem, there is not gonna be any third party game that is gonna have groundbreaking gameplay implications thanks to ps5 ssd because they have to port the game on slower consolles.

I didn't say that 4k60 is off the table (i mean, it probably is because power is not enough but that is another discussion entirely) i said that not many people, most probably the majority are not gonna have a vrr compatible tv in the next 1-2 years and beyond, so yeah for some people is gonna be a solution, but if we talk about a broader spectrum this can't be called a solution.

the extra power doesn't require much work from devs to add a more stable framerate or some minor upgrade to resolution and details (the game already work with ultra setting and unlocked framerate in the pc version), we can't argue about how big these differences are gonna be but i think it's too soon for that.

Everything is about power to everyone lol. So u have series x that 12.15tf and has split ram 10gig for the fast speed and 6 for the slower. Did a crytek engineer say that due to it being split in ram that its much harder to reach its full tflops?

On the the other hand ps5 with less Cu and slower ram but all unified with a fast io u get more ram to play with and that crytek engineer said despite the power power safer ps5 can maintain its full tflops count compared to the series x?

Tbh further more down the line i believe series x will maintain more of being 4k compared to ps5 but to sheer speed of the io of the ps5 when developers get use to the io solution ps5 wouldnt need 4k as it would able draw in better and higher quality assets where series x will struggle abit as there io solution is much slower

Last edited:

SoraNoKuni

Minimal gpu advantage which won't make much difference in couch gaming, which consoles mainly target. So yeah, the quite faster ssd is better no doubt.
Except if you get satisfied watching a 500x zoomed image on DF videos.

LooseLips

Both aspects offer a long-needed boost for the consoles. The options, or rather, possibilities around the speed of the hard drive and that throughput are interesting, however Power is also important, and with the jump in the new 30 series cards, I fear they could both be left lacking after a year or two. Still, it's all not much of a gulf - I'll choose value and the games I want to play... I have both consoles this gen, but I can't see me doing that again. Basically, I'm still on the fence: Neither has a belter of a launch line up at all. Underwhelming.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Faster loading is just theoretical, much more than the power differential. Real world performance differences on comparable games (non first party) will be negligeable.

Xbox's bigger gpu will definitely show more (again, only on comparable games).

A 17% GPU advantage won't "show" at all in most cases unless you're pixel counting still frames. It's not gonna be anywhere close the resolution differences we see between Pro and XB1X.

Top Bottom