• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Faster loading (ps5) vs more power (xsx) ?

Faster loading (ps5) vs more power (xsx)

• Faster loading ps5

Votes: 245 45.1%
  • More power xsx

Votes: 298 54.9%

• Total voters

MrFunSocks

Banned
Because it will have to run on both, of course, I agree. What I said was that a game that takes FULL advantage of the PS5 SSD could have issues on XBSX. But only exclusives will ever do that.
Like I said though, going from games that could only read MB/s to 5GB/s is an absurd jump, and there isn't some magical new type of game that is all of a sudden going to require an entire PS3/360 game worth of data instantly constantly. You're going to be vastly disappointed if you think that there are going to be PS5 games that can only work with >5GB/s read speeds.

10.3. And it will spend the vast majority of the time at that, only dropping a few percent very briefly (talking milliseconds here, not like it will "lock" to a lower frequency for extended periods) in certain situations.

Either way, there's no 3TF difference. That's nothing but FUD.
It's not 10.3TF, and it won't only drop a few percent for "milliseconds" lol. If that's all it did then they wouldn't be doing variable frequency, they'd just fix it there. The more probably thing is that it will only ever hit that full 10.28TF for milliseconds here and there.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Like I said though, going from games that could only read MB/s to 5GB/s is an absurd jump, and there isn't some magical new type of game that is all of a sudden going to require an entire PS3/360 game worth of data instantly constantly. You're going to be vastly disappointed if you think that there are going to be PS5 games that can only work with >5GB/s read speeds.

So you think Sony/Cerny went with this expensive super fast solution for absolutely no reason then, when they could just have gone the standard PC SSD route like MS and saved a lot of money? Seems very strange to me, why would they do that if there are no tangible benefits?

MrFunSocks

Banned
I'll take faster speeds over "more power" anyday of the week, because the "more power" on the XSX is misleading because it's not a lot "more power."

The Series X is slightly more powerful than the PS5. This is a fact. However, the difference in power isn't generational. This is, more than likely, going to lead to slightly better graphics and slightly better framerates. We're not walking into a situation where the difference in power is like the Wii to PS3. I'm unsure if it was on here or on Reeeeeeeeee, but I read a post that said the XSX has about an 18% gpu advantage over the PS5. That 18% is absolutely going to translate to slightly higher/native resolution(s) and or slightly higher/locked framerate(s), but the keyword is slightly.

That said, an 18% difference is a joke compared to like a 60% or 80% difference in power. If the XSX had the horsepower to run every game at 8K or every game at 120fps or locked at 60, then frankly, the PS5 would look like a bad choice at the same $499.99 pricepoint. But I think a lot of people are about to realize that the XSX is not going to be able to pull a rabbit out of a hat. It's a powerful console that, by all current indications, will deliver 4K games running at playable aka non-slideshowy framerates.
It's 18% more in TF numbers, but it could equate to far more in actual practical terms due to the sheer size of the GPU compared to the PS5s. 36 CUs vs 52 is a massive difference. Programming is getting more and more multithreaded/"wide". Being able to do more things at once is where everything is headed, not less but slightly faster. The Series X also has massive amounts more RAM bandwidth - 448GB/S vs 560GB/s. The Series X has much better hardware for ray tracing too (CUs is the big one for this).

An extra ~20% power can equate to a hell of a difference graphically.

So you think Sony/Cerny went with this expensive super fast solution for absolutely no reason then, when they could just have gone the standard PC SSD route like MS and saved a lot of money? Seems very strange to me, why would they do that if there are no tangible benefits?

So why do you think that MS chose *not* to go with an over the top custom SSD and instead focused on more power? Cerny isn't some know all god. Why did Kutaragi go with the Cell instead of a more standard design and saved a lot of money? Why would they do that if there are no tangible benefits? Because they made a decision and it wasn't the right one. Time will tell again, but some people are going to be massively disappointed when the only tangible difference between PS5 exclusives and Series X exclusives is load times. Ratchet and Clank can be done easily on the XSX, just would take potentially a bit longer in transitions. I highly doubt it's loading >18GB at a time in those transitions, unless the game is 30 minutes long.

Last edited:

Boglin

I wouldn't bother.
In the past I have asked why they believed Sony would choose to trade APU die space for I/O blocks instead of more CUs and why Sony would develop a custom SSD that is nearly 200GB smaller than a more standard one if all it did was reduce loading times by a second or two. I could not get a logical answer.

The only answer given to me was they believe the tradeoff was made because Sony was caught by surprise and thought XSX was going to be weaker.

This was a frustrating response for me because even if Microsoft did hypothetically come out with a weaker console, it still completely ignores my actual question and doesn't give a reason why Sony would choose I/O speed over more power and more storage space.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's not 10.3TF, and it won't only drop a few percent for "milliseconds" lol. If that's all it did then they wouldn't be doing variable frequency, they'd just fix it there. The more probably thing is that it will only ever hit that full 10.28TF for milliseconds here and there.

So you think Cerny simply lied about this then. Alright, agree to disagree.

(And fine, it's 10.28TF)

MrFunSocks

Banned
I wouldn't bother.
In the past I have asked why they believed Sony would choose to trade APU die space for I/O blocks instead of more CUs and why Sony would develop a custom SSD that is nearly 200GB smaller than a more standard one if all it did was reduce loading times by a second or two. I could not get a logical answer.

The only answer given to me was they believe the tradeoff was made because Sony was caught by surprise and thought XSX was going to be weaker.

This was a frustrating response for me because even if Microsoft did hypothetically come out with a weaker console, it still completely ignores my actual question and doesn't give a reason why Sony would choose I/O speed over more power and more storage space.
Just because you don't agree doesn't mean that it's wrong.

Companies have to choose where to spend their money. Sony think that money is better spent on SSD speed whereas MS think their SSD is more than developers will need when combined with their other I/O modifications so chose to give the developers more power to help with things like framerate, resolution, and ray tracing.

So you think Cerny simply lied about this then. Alright, agree to disagree.

(And fine, it's 10.28TF)
Cerny is a PR spokesman. If it only ever dropped below the full potential power for milliseconds here and there then there would be zero reason to go with variable clock speeds, would there?

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Companies have to choose where to spend their money. Sony think that money is better spent on SSD speed whereas MS think their SSD is more than developers will need when combined with their other I/O modifications so chose to give the developers more power to help with things like framerate, resolution, and ray tracing.

Cerny is a PR spokesman. If it only ever dropped below the full potential power for milliseconds here and there then there would be zero reason to go with variable clock speeds, would there?

Yes there would, because the PS5 has a fixed power envelope. It can't spend more power than X. So it downclocks very slightly when more power hungry instructions are run. And ONLY then. This power management can happen extremely quickly back and forth, it's not like spinning up or down a fan which is slow.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Same Cerny which actually undersold compressed texture bandwidth (presented numbers without Oodle Texture layout optimisations applied that improve Kraken compression ratio for texture data), same Cerny that actually undersold Tempest 3D performance effectively rounding down its performance numbers in the relative comparison to PS4’s Jaguar core clusters (64 FP Ops/cycle at GPU clocks is well over PS4 CPU’s performance... not a trivial amount either).

Sure, he surely has the reputation as a numbers twisting, baseline confusing, truth stretching PR salesman.

Oh btw, people quote Goossen a lot recently (Xbox architect), shall we go back and see what he said about the relationship between CU’s and clockspeed ( https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-complete-xbox-one-interview ) ;)?

Last edited:

Boglin

It's not that I disagree, it's that it doesn't answer my question. Here it is phrased a different way. Do you think there is a real world benefit for Sony to choose less CUs and give up almost 200GB of storage space for a 2x faster SSD? Or do you think they are idiots who wasted money for no benefit?

Last edited:

sixamp

Just because the ps5s ssd on paper is 2x, faster doesn't mean in the real-world it will be. More times than not we usually get a 40% real-world increase

FrankWza

The irony in all of this is that first-party Xbox games on a gaming PC will look significantly better than those same games running on Xbox -- especially the (inevitable) modded Bethesda stuff. So we could see a situation where the PC version of an Xbox game looks and plays considerably better than that same game running on Xbox, introducing a feeling of "This stuff is much better elsewhere." That's not a good spot for Xbox hardware to be in.

Now the plot twist in all of this nonsense is that due to the IO + SSD in the PS5 and due to most first-party PS5 games not coming out on PC, the PS5 could, by default, offer an experience that is perceived as being generationally better than the XSX. It's kinda funny when you think about it, i.e. the less powerful console could be perceived as being significantly more powerful because it's faster than the more powerful console. In any case, I'll take games that load in 2 seconds over games that load in 10 seconds or more.

good point. The “best” way to experience multiplat would be on a gaming PC. It would probably be significantly better/more powerful but cost at least twice as much. So ps5 takes advantage on exclusives.PC is the best multi platform andseries x is at a great disadvantage to pc on multiplats and to ps5 exclusives because of the custom ssd

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoy your ps5 then, power is more than TF, its cache speeds, internal bus speeds, cache efficiency all to feed the CUs. Which results so far do you think shows good performance balance ?

I will definitely enjoy the PlayStation 5 for it's exclusives but overall, Series X WILL give me the better overall performance and balance. All the PlayStation 5 truly has is the overkilled SSD which doesn't impress me. For me, it's about the CPU > RAM > GPU > SSD. SSD is great and all but it's worthless without all of the other components. Series X is more software based with Velocity while PlayStation 5 is more hardware based but at a cost, at an expense, at a compromise. I don't want my $500 primary gaming console to be any of that which is why PlayStation 5 will be my secondary full exclusives only console which will probably be between 10-15 games for the generation while Xbox Series X will be my primary gaming console which will also give me 10-15 exclusives and around another 75+ multi-platform games.

geordiemp

Ps5 fud master getting desperate.

turtlepowa

Banned
Just because the ps5s ssd on paper is 2x, faster doesn't mean in the real-world it will be. More times than not we usually get a 40% real-world increase
I thought the same. I mean we have data from One S to Series S/X for some games. Has anybody calculated if the difference in seconds fits the difference in speed?

TeKtheSanE

Its already begun, there is no hiding

What secrets lie under the hood ?

This looks phenomenal, but not what I want to see.

I want Series X and PS5 comparisons, not first party Sony remaster to original comparisons.

Either way, it looks really amazing. Sony first party guys are clearly going to harness every bit of power the PS5 offers which doesn't surprise me.

Edit: Also one shot is in day and the other night, why didn't they use the same screen capture?

Last edited:

geordiemp

This looks phenomenal, but not what I want to see.

I want Series X and PS5 comparisons, not first party Sony remaster to original comparisons.

Either way, it looks really amazing. Sony first party guys are clearly going to harness every bit of power the PS5 offers which doesn't surprise me.

Edit: Also one shot is in day and the other night, why didn't they use the same screen capture?

We dont know if ps5 is doing ray tracing eactly same way as Microsoft, so game performance will depend on method efficiency if it differs in methods and apis....., as lighting is expensive, more so than small resolution differentials.

Last edited:
I can't help but cringe after reading so many comments on here that just think the PS5's SSD and I/O is all about how fast you can boot up your game.

When your SSD and I/O is as fast as what's in the PS5, it literally changes how you utilize RAM. The amount of assets and the sheer quality of those assets goes up tremendously. Not to mention you no longer need to keep "cold" assets sitting in RAM just in case. I'd also like to point out from Cerny's talk that he mentioned he wanted to stream in assets faster than the player could turn around. If that is the case, than you save on unnecessary GPU utilization.

Speaking of GPU. We still don't even have a die shot of the PS5. This is probably due to AMD reasons. Probably something to do with its geometry engine. Maybe even tweaks to ray-tracing. We don't know all the customizations yet. At the end of the day, I do expect Series X to have the edge in GPU due to it being wider. This will be pointed out by Digital Foundry of course, but I seriously doubt it will be what some fanboys hope. You're not going to see another Xbox One and PS4 disparity here people. I swear some people think it's PS2 versus Xbox.

All this said, I'll more than likely get both. Start off with PS5 and get Series X once their exclusives start hitting Game Pass. Then again, I could just do a massive PC upgrade by the time their exclusive stuff rolls around.

WellSheet

From I can gather, I’ll take PS5’s methodmover XSX...mainly because the gulf between them in TFLOPS isn’t nearly as significant as it is between them with their SSD solutions.
Their TFLOP/Raw power difference seems essentially negligible relatively.
We of course need to see how games take advantage of these features before any true judgments can be cast.

theddub

Banned
We dont know if ps5 is doing ray tracing eactly same way as Microsoft, so game performance will depend on method efficiency if it differs in methods and apis....., as lighting is expensive, more so than small resolution differentials.
Yeah but from what's been said about the PS5 from that PS5 graphics engineer that got backlash for saying the PS5 took "some" features of RDNA2, unless it's Ray tracing solution is custom, the ps5s GPU architecture is a lower revision of RDNA2 than XSX, so if anything, at least most likely unless it's custom, the GPU architecture on the XSX is more feature set complete and powerful on the XSX. Not to mention the higher CU count, the extra hardware for it.

I'd also wager that if Sonys solution was custom, they'd be all over that and marketing it. It's most likely a lower revision of AMD's Ray tracing solution. We will probably find out soon enough.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Yeah but from what's been said about the PS5 from that PS5 graphics engineer that got backlash for saying the PS5 took "some" features of RDNA2, unless it's Ray tracing solution is custom, the ps5s GPU architecture is a lower revision of RDNA2 than XSX, so if anything, at least most likely unless it's custom, the GPU architecture on the XSX is more feature set complete and powerful on the XSX. Not to mention the higher CU count, the extra hardware for it.

I'd also wager that if Sonys solution was custom, they'd be all over that and marketing it. It's most likely a lower revision of AMD's Ray tracing solution. We will probably find out soon enough.

1 feature not some, likely VRS as sony has their own patent for VR

But the rest, Wow you fud that all by yourself or did someone help you with the long words....

Thanks for the laugh, its so daft its not worth my time.

Last edited:

Castef

Banned
Now, let's all be honest here: if loading speed and power had not become synonymous with the two consoles there would not be so many votes regarding the former...

Piku_Ringo

Banned
It's gonna be hard to notice a game loading in 8 seconds on the ps5 vs 11 seconds on the XSX, I couldn't care any less about that difference.

Whereas 3 TFs in many situations matters a hell of a lot more to me. Think of the ps5, since this is RDNA2, having a whole "extra ps4 Pro" GPU in addition to it's normal amount. Stop using flatten down percentages....it's 3 RDNA2 TFs in many cases for hell's sake. A hell of alot more noticeable and important. Anyone saying otherwise vs loading times is suffering from a severe case of cognitive dissonance. Most people are voting along "party lines" and not substantially on the OPs question if people were actually honest with themselves.

SSD voters subscribe to George Castanzas method of beating a lie detector test...."It's not a lie(talking to Jerry) if YOU(yourself) believe it to be true"

The answers to the OPs is only relevant in the sense that I suspect this is actually a psychological experiment for the OP and test to see if videogame fanboys can be honest with themselves.

Perhaps a change from semicool to MajorFool is in order? :cool::messenger_ok:

theddub

Banned
1 feature not some, likely VRS as sony has their own patent for VR

But the rest, Wow you fud that all by yourself or did someone help you with the long words....

Thanks for the laugh, its so daft its not worth my time.

You are obviously adverse to having an intelligent discussion about this. Not to mention abrasive in disagreement.

Last edited:

geordiemp

You are obviously adverse to having an intelligent discussion about this. Not to mention abrasive in disagreement.

What is intelligent about your post. Sony said 1 item was not RDNA2, you implied more and suggested it was a lower tier. Is reading comprehension that hard ?

Sony have 2 patents likely to be in ps5 as a minimum, one for a VRS to be performant with VR (2.4 x on wide angle frustum) and one on compressing pixel vertices before shaders. So its likely VRS as they ahved their own, To be confirmed.

And what was the nonsense about lower tier RDNA2 going on about ? I cant even...

The ray tracing is likely a NDA with adshir tech and LocalRay so less work and more performance. Its been announced a major console manufacturer has taken it up and will be announced soon. Go have a wild guess ?

If you want to read up on ray tracing cost, go watch the DF foundry latest video on 3080, at native 4k its just over 30 FPS and thats a big card.

Have you anything sensible to contribute that is not made up ?

Last edited:

theddub

Banned
What is intelligent about your post. Sony said 1 item was not RDNA2, you implied more and suggested it was a lower tier. Is reading comprehension that hard ?

Sony have 2 patents likely to be in ps5 as a minimum, one for a VRS to be performant with VR (2.4 x on wide angle frustum) and one on compressing pixel vertices before shaders. So its likely VRS as they ahved their own, To be confirmed.

And what was the nonsense about lower tier RDNA2 going on about ? I cant even...

The ray tracing is likely a NDA with adshir tech and LocalRay so less work and more performance. Its been announced a major console manufacturer has taken it up and will be announced soon. Go have a wild guess ?

If you want to read up on ray tracing cost, go watch the DF foundry latest video on 3080, at native 4k its just over 30 FPS and thats a big card.

Have you anything sensible to contribute that is not made up ?
Let's just say I believe Leonardi's original, since removed, information and not the misinterpreted cover-up backtracking follow-up information, where he uses words like "I think" for 1 feature missing from RDNA2.

geordiemp

Let's just say I believe Leonardi's original, since removed, information and not the misinterpreted cover-up backtracking follow-up information, where he uses words like "I think" for 1 feature missing from RDNA2.

Oh the Odium the fake dev is to believed over a Sony statement ?

Get lost with your FUD, go and discuss something postive about XSX and stop spreading lies,

Last edited:

theddub

Banned
C
Oh the Odium the fake dev is to believed over a Sony statement ?

Get lost with your FUD, go and discuss something postive about XSX and stop spreading lies,
In addition to VRS on the ps5 not being from RDNA2, what about the mesh shaders on the XSX not being on ps5? That's at least 2 RDNA2 terms that we know of.

Last edited:
C

In addition to VRS on the ps5 not being from RDNA2, what about the mesh shaders on the XSX not being on ps5? That's at least 2 RDNA2 terms that we know of.

This is actually what he said.

"It is based on RDNA 2, but it has more features and, it seems to me, one less. That message turned out badly, I was tired and I shouldn't have written the things I wrote", continued the engineer, complaining that he received insults for his statements.

So what are these extra features from? RDNA3?

I mean if you want to use him as a source you have to admit that he did say there are some features in it that RDNA2 doesn't have. Which is saying that they are either custom features from Sony or RDNA3 ones.

So it basically is either RDNA1.5 or RDNA2.5 depending on how you want to look at it. The CUs are RDNA2 ones know and this was confirmed by Mark.

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Then why did you reply to him when he was already banned? I'd still like to know your detailed thoughts on his post.
Cause that tripe is what got him the axe, meng. As for my thoughts, instead of dude talking out his ass, people should just sit back, relax and enjoy the awesomeness coming down that pipeline. That's what it's supposed to be about. But continue on with your war over which plastic box is the bestest ever.

theddub

Banned
This is actually what he said.

So what are these extra features from? RDNA3?

I mean if you want to use him as a source you have to admit that he did say there are some features in it that RDNA2 doesn't have. Which is saying that they are either custom features from Sony or RDNA3 ones.

So it basically is either RDNA1.5 or RDNA2.5 depending on how you want to look at it. The CUs are RDNA2 ones know and this was confirmed by Mark.
You dodged the question about mesh shaders. Mesh shaders are from RDNA2. We know the ps5s geometry engine together with primitive shaders are mesh shaders functionality equivalent and are terms from RDNA1. He said, "it seems to me, one less", now we know it's at least 2 RDNA2 less features with VRS and mesh shaders not from RDNA2. We see he has motive now to spin. At least we know his makeup statement, to retrack his previous statements, is erroneous. I not saying it's RDNA1, I'm saying his original statement that it was between RDNA1 and 2 appears from evidence to be more accurate than his damage repair follow-up statements

Last edited:
You dodged the question about mesh shaders. Mesh shaders are from RDNA2. We know the ps5s geometry engine together with primitive shaders are mesh shaders functionality equivalent and are terms from RDNA1. He said, "it seems to me, one less", now we know it's at least 2 RDNA2 less features with VRS and mesh shaders not from RDNA2. We see he has motive now to spin. At least we know his makeup statement, to retrack his previous statements, is erroneous. I not saying it's RDNA1, I'm saying his original statement that it was between RDNA1 and 2 appears from evidence to be more accurate than his damage repair follow-up statements

So what are the extra features then?
Are the cache scrubbers an RDNA3 feature?

Last edited:

theddub

Banned
So what are the extra features then?
I honestly don't know. I don't think anyone thats not under NDA does. This is all speculation. But "more" can be interrupt as more, in more features not necessarily newer features. He didn't say newer he said "more". So the fact that mesh shaders has similar functionality to the combined use of the ps5 s primitive shaders combined with it's geometry engine would technically mean "more" , 2 vs 1, but not not necessarily "newer". When in fact its means 2 older features vs 1 consolidated newer feature.

I do however believe that if Sony had more advanced RDNA3 features, that they would be marketing those features, just like they are with their known features. We know they are not doing so, marketing any RDNA3 features, even if they aren't calling them that because if so, why haven't they made them known? I think the reasons behind their behavior is obvious but maybe that's just my perspective. The only reason I could guess is to not tio Nvidia off but who knows?

Last edited:
I do however believe that if Sony had more advanced RDNA3 features, that they would be marketing those features

That's unfortunately up to AMD to decide. If we don't even have the full list of RDNA2 features yet what makes you think that AMD will allow Sony to talk about RDNA3 features?

Once the NDAs are lifted we will find out more.

FrankWza

The amount of people that have taken the ssd koolaid is astonishing.

the series x is the better product, period.

But Xbox has an SSD. Unless you mean the PS5 custom SSD that there is no precedent for? Gonna have to wait and see, otherwise you just guessing(hoping). Those other SSDs have been around for years. I had one in my PS3 to help with load times on GT. That was 2010

MrFunSocks

Banned
But Xbox has an SSD. Unless you mean the PS5 custom SSD that there is no precedent for? Gonna have to wait and see, otherwise you just guessing(hoping). Those other SSDs have been around for years. I had one in my PS3 to help with load times on GT. That was 2010
Putting an SSD in a PS3 is absolutely nothing like having a system designed with an SSD as the default.

That's a sata drive you have in that ps3 bub.

XSX is NVME with its own custom interface.

My goodness. In reality, the difference in the ssd implementations is going to be very small. I would laugh if the XSX ends up having the superior load times.

theddub

Banned
That's unfortunately up to AMD to decide. If we don't even have the full list of RDNA2 features yet what makes you think that AMD will allow Sony to talk about RDNA3 features?

Once the NDAs are lifted we will find out more.
Sure, it's possible. I just don't believe that it's likely ps5 has any, what will be, RDNA3 features, I could be wrong. Oct 28th we should have the complete RDNA2 features though.....hopefully. I'm excited for the new tech regardless. We won't know much about RDNA3 probably till sometime next year.

Sony sure isn't marketing.any of those possible, that I believe unlikely, RDNA3 features. That we do know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom