• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fat Princess Banned in Japan for Having Only Four Fingers

Shig said:
We western gamers should create some sort of traumatic history that allows us to successfully lobby against embarassingly androgynous man-boy protagonists.

12-vaan-a.jpg

When I see this pic, you know what comes to mind? SLAVE TRADER. I am deeply offended, Japan.

When I see this pic, I think "I'm about to get arrested!"

j/k

They should localize it for a more Japanese style... make 8 tentacles :O

jiggles

Banned
e36yx.jpg

I like that, in an effort to eliminate all references to the number 4 on this box, they've chosen to totally ignore the rather large 4 that's highlighted in red at the top, and instead just shop a thumb in.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
jigglywiggly said:
e36yx.jpg

I like that, in an effort to eliminate all references to the number 4 on this box, they've chosen to totally ignore the rather large 4 that's highlighted in red at the top, and instead just shop a thumb in.

I think, in this case, it was more about the gore than the number. Remember RE4? Totally censored in Japan.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
... So, can't they just change the character models and add anther finger? Or just release the game and tell them its the year 2009, and that by making it a big deal you are just continueing to discriminate even if you are trying to help?

Sword Familiar

Drkirby said:
... So, can't they just change the character models and add anther finger? Or just release the game and tell them its the year 2009, and that by making it a big deal you are just continue to discriminate even if you are trying to help?

You could try. :lol

Dali

There are a lot of parralells between this and Japan's general ignorance of anything black in the west. The outrage and cries of 'lol, Japan' are surprising.

D-Pad

The whole four-fingered cartoon characters are weird to begin with. I'll never understand why artist wont just draw a fifth finger...

Sword Familiar said:
I think, in this case, it was more about the gore than the number. Remember RE4? Totally censored in Japan.
Yeah, I would bet that that cover change was more about the dismemberment taboo.

Also, Sankaku Complex is a terrible site and should not be linked, ever.

C.T.

jiji said:
Yeah, I would bet that that cover change was more about the dismemberment taboo.

Also, Sankaku Complex is a terrible site and should not be linked, ever.

Like said before, its the cover they used in Germany and maybe Australia too.

how many other vidoegame characters have 4 fingers and their games were released in japan? or is this game a problem because of the medieval village type setting?

RaidenZR

D-Pad said:
The whole four-fingered cartoon characters are weird to begin with. I'll never understand why artist wont just draw a fifth finger...

Matter of propotion. Some artists tend to think their characters look busy with that many fingers. In simplified character's it's just more noise. Also, animation simplicity back in the day. Less fingers = less money. No joke.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Drkirby said:
... So, can't they just change the character models and add anther finger? Or just release the game and tell them its the year 2009, and that by making it a big deal you are just continueing to discriminate even if you are trying to help?

Real estate values fell in some areas last year after google maps and google earth added a Tokyo history layer and people figured out where the former "lower caste" areas of the city had been.

So they just removed those out of cultural sensitivity at the request of the government.

I dont think telling them will change anything.

udivision

YoungHav said:
Japan discriminates against 4 fingered people?

4 fingered people have it hard enough. Do you know how difficult it is to a get a five-finger discuont with only four fingers? Not easy.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This is very real and an even more insidious issue then one might first realize.

http://www.oddworld.com/firsttenyears/ow_ask.shtml

Q: In the game I noticed that in the first game Abe and Mudokons have 4 fingers then in Abe's Exoddus they have only 3 fingers. What happened with the 4th finger?

A: Well, it's a long story that needs to be told. So here it is... Japan has a strict discriminating policy against any simulated characters entering their country with four fingers. Historically, Japan has had a subclass of meat packing workers that were typically looked down upon in their society. In later days, the blatant displaying of a four fingered hand gesture, intentionally directed at another, came to mean that you were calling them a member of the meat packing sub class. Which, we understand, was not at all a compliment.

It appears that the four finger connection with the meat packing class was due to work related accidents, but was so frequent that it came to symbolically represent the sub class. It seems as though this is a part of the Japanese history that some groups within Japan would like to see forgotten. Therefore, it is at great risk that you publish four fingered characters in Japan, as you may very likely end up in legal battles with a vociferous pressure group. This group claims that this type of representation is equivalent to and as degrading as the yellow star forced to be worn on Jews by the Nazi's during the Second World War.That is, it's offensive and degrading unless they can extort enough money out of you. Then it's all okay. Case in point: We were told that the Walt Disney Corporation is charged five million dollars a year by this group so that Mickey Mouse may live in Japan and retain his original four fingered design. Otherwise, old Mickey would need to see a surgeon and have something done about that insulting forth finger.

The moral of this story is... if you want to pay, then it's ok. If you don't want to pay, then it's a horrible insult to our culture. In other parts of the world we have a word for these types of two-faced tactics. We call it extortion. If it is truly offensive and degrading, then don't allow it at all. But to allow it for a price... is to belittle the case altogether. It suggests that the real truth behind these groups is that they are using the darker moments in their own cultures' history as an excuse to coerce money out of content providers.

Well, being that this is Oddworld, we felt that this seemed like a perfect addition to the Abe story. We thought it was ironically perfect that he was being discriminated against for being who he was. As the message came from Japan, "They don't like his kind here, with the sincere suggestion," Just chop off one of his fingers cause you don't have the money to pay up..." caused us to feel that we indeed needed to allow Abe to go through the suffering that goes along with being a poor slob at the bottom of the Food chain. Yup, we chopped off his finger so that the Japanese wouldn't get offended (or paid). He didn't like it one bit, but due to the fact that their ain't much he can do about it... we decided that he could donate his finger rather than us donating five million dollars. Such is life in Japan when you're a four-fingered meat packing worker.

And that is how Abe lost his finger in Japan. He's still pretty pissed off about it, but we convinced him that with the amount of games sold in Japan, he still might be able to get his message through to their culture someday. As a true believer in his cause, he felt that the sacrifice of a finger was but a small price to pay in hoping to shed some light on discriminations and injustices the world over.

Forkball

First of all, there is literally ZERO proof that this is the reason why the game is being delayed. It could be delayed for hundreds of other reasons. But you gotta love the hilarious overreaction and jumping of conclusions.

Sony: Fat Princess is delayed to TBA
Internet: THE DISCRIMINATION OF THE BURAKUMIN CONTINUES

Somnid

Yeah, it's real and real stupid. You don't stop racism (or class-ism) with censorship. Every country does this type of shit though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Forkball said:
First of all, there is literally ZERO proof that this is the reason why the game is being delayed. It could be delayed for hundreds of other reasons. But you gotta love the hilarious overreaction and jumping of conclusions.

Sony: Fat Princess is delayed to TBA
Internet: THE DISCRIMINATION OF THE BURAKUMIN CONTINUES

Actually is seems Sony doesn't want to put up the soothing monies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I often find that those quickest to rally against political correctness are the ugliest and fattest amongst us.

udivision said:
4 fingered people have it hard enough. Do you know how difficult it is to a get a five-finger discuont with only four fingers? Not easy.
i imagine it depends on which finger is missing...

and if you think the thumb is also a finger...

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
AndyD said:
Real estate values fell in some areas last year after google maps and google earth added a Tokyo history layer and people figured out where the former "lower caste" areas of the city had been.

So they just removed those out of cultural sensitivity at the request of the government.

Holy crap at real state values falling because of that.

It's no surprise Google backed off tho, even for a corporation they are spineless.

I have never heard of the 4 fingered thing being associated with burakumin. If they are being delayed because of it, I would swear it is due to the yakuza stuff rather than burakumin.

Sword Familiar

Inflammable Slinky said:
I have never heard of the 4 fingered thing being associated with burakumin. If they are being delayed because of it, I would swear it is due to the yakuza stuff rather than burakumin.

That was my first guess as well.

Oh also, quick social lesson for Japan. Burakumin are still pretty discriminated agaisnt in Japan, but they have some social orgs that advocate for them.

However, they way they do it is kinda strange.

The Buraku organizations try to make sure that NO MENTIONS THAT BURAKUMIN EXIST ARE FOUND IN ANY POPULAR MEDIA WHATSOEVER.

So that's why its so strong. Social advocation in the buraku community is kinda strange.

Dali said:
There are a lot of parralells between this and Japan's general ignorance of anything black in the west. The outrage and cries of 'lol, Japan' are surprising.

Who better to comment on other culture's unusual ethnicity-related foibles than Americans?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
theluma said:
Well that's certainly odd for sure.

I'm pretty sure it is even.

YES THE THUMB COUNTS AS A FINGER STOP SCRUTINIZING MY JOKE

Fugu

Allow me to be one of the (I hope) many to point out that America has a lot of dumbass social trends too.
Granted, this one is pretty off the radar for the average Japanese person...

Yon is actually a replacement for shi, which also has a lot of problems...

Sword Familiar

Inflammable Slinky said:
Oh also, quick social lesson for Japan. Burakumin are still pretty discriminated agaisnt in Japan, but they have some social orgs that advocate for them.

However, they way they do it is kinda strange.

The Buraku organizations try to make sure that NO MENTIONS THAT BURAKUMIN EXIST ARE FOUND IN ANY POPULAR MEDIA WHATSOEVER.

So that's why its so strong. Social advocation in the buraku community is kinda strange.

It's hard to tackle such a deep problem, but they are definitely doing it the wrong way. And yes, the discrimination persists even if it has been officially banned. They're getting there though, I just think we need to give them some more time. Japan has been only been open to the rest of the world for about 150 years or so and social progress is slow.

Zhengi

Actually, this makes me wonder what the West's infatuation with four fingers are. Why do they insist on drawing cartoon characters with this deformity? Do they find some perverse pleasure from this? Pretty strange.

Kunan

This group claims that this type of representation is equivalent to and as degrading as the yellow star forced to be worn on Jews by the Nazi's during the Second World War.That is, it's offensive and degrading unless they can extort enough money out of you. Then it's all okay. Case in point: We were told that the Walt Disney Corporation is charged five million dollars a year by this group so that Mickey Mouse may live in Japan and retain his original four fingered design. Otherwise, old Mickey would need to see a surgeon and have something done about that insulting forth finger.

The moral of this story is... if you want to pay, then it's ok. If you don't want to pay, then it's a horrible insult to our culture. In other parts of the world we have a word for these types of two-faced tactics. We call it extortion. If it is truly offensive and degrading, then don't allow it at all. But to allow it for a price... is to belittle the case altogether. It suggests that the real truth behind these groups is that they are using the darker moments in their own cultures' history as an excuse to coerce money out of content providers.

Sigh..

Koren

How is it possible that no one already posted this :

MarioCartoonCutscene.PNG

(IIRC, there was some buzz quite long ago around links between Nintendo and Yakuza, because of Mario seen with four fingers... Since Nintendo's fortune was build partly around illegal gambling one century ago (Hanafuda), there is always some rumors about it that surfaces sometimes)

YoungHav said:
Japan discriminates against 4 fingered people?
Probably, and people having tattoos, too.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
AndyD said:

Who exactly are the "lower caste" of society in Japan?

Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
Is that a Japanime Simpsons or something?
Its from an old simpsons episode, where homer reads something about people in the future will evolve an extra finger and pink skin and imagines what it would look like.

lupinko

Zhengi said:
Actually, this makes me wonder what the West's infatuation with four fingers are. Why do they insist on drawing cartoon characters with this deformity? Do they find some perverse pleasure from this? Pretty strange.

I don't know about other animation studios, but for The Simpsons staff, their reasoning was for time + money, that extra digit costs money you know.

Tellaerin

Zhengi said:

It's no more of a 'deformity' than drawing cartoon characters with huge pie-plate eyes and tiny little noses and mouths. Or do you think a real human with facial features like that wouldn't look deformed? :p

Nothing strange about it. It's just a different cultural convention.

lupinko

pieatorium said:
Its from an old simpsons episode, where homer reads something about people in the future will evolve an extra finger and pink skin and imagines what it would look like.

It was Lisa reading the magazine and Bart says stuff about five fingers being gross.

TheExodu5

Banned
Shig said:
We western gamers should create some sort of traumatic history that allows us to successfully lobby against embarassingly androgynous man-boy protagonists.

12-vaan-a.jpg

When I see this pic, you know what comes to mind? SLAVE TRADER. I am deeply offended, Japan.

I was so pissed when I bought the LE guide and had that damned man-boy staring me in the face.

rvy

Banned
Someone should just upload the picture where the hentai chick has severed body parts showing, but genitalia censored. :lol

Top Bottom