• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite 'airship' in a game?

TrueGrime

aeris08.jpg

Close this thread. We're done here.

Ragnarok. Not even close.

When the CGi cutscene of Ragnarok had it revealing its dragon arms to latch onto the opposing enemy ship, that was one of my earliest FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFAWESOME moments in gaming.

Unlucky

Ctrl + F "Mario"
Page 1, satisfied with thread.

I don't think I'd ever heard the term "airship" or knew what one was before SMB3. The music still plays in my head at the very mention of the word.

SkyOdin

You can't forget Lombardia from the Wild ARMs series. Your airship is a transforming biomechanical dragon from another dimension armed with homing missiles and a ridiculously powerful main cannon.

The Talon from Final Fantasy Legend 3/SaGa 3 is another great. The entire game revolves around upgrading it, and it feels more like a party member than a vehicle.
Particularly when it smashes through the roof of the final dungeon to give you supporting fire every round against the final boss.

Ezalc

Delphinus from Skies of Arcadia!

/thread
That first post, my man!

The Delphinus
2014-01-22_234628.png

The Delphinius is just amazing.

Though the Prima Vista is a favorite of mine as well from FFIX.

Others include:

Samus' Gunship from Prime 2
FFF10045.jpg

The Halberd from the Kirby series
Halberd.jpg

And a little unknown one that will definitely show up in the new F-Zero game that will be unveiled at E3
BELIEVE!
The Falcon Flyer
Falcon_Flyer_ESE_SSBB.png

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
BF2142_Titan_with_explanation.jpg

So much fun on that thing.

Apoptomon

Normandy SR2 from Mass Effect 2 & 3 for being a sleek Space!submarine,
and Balamb Garden from Final Fantasy VIII for the sheer WTF of a hovering academy.

I pretty much like every single playable airship in a game. They give you such a sense of freedom and relaxation.

If I had to pick a favourite, taking flight with Empyrea's ghost-babby's soul in Dragon Quest 8 feels so nice. It evokes such a nice atmosphere that makes me reminisce of traversing old Quintet world maps.

The happiest I've been to have received an airship though, was with obtaining The Falcon from Final Fantasy 6. Your old ship, Blackjack, got wrecked along with most of the world. Being locked back onto the land was one of the many layers that drove the powerlessness and gloom home in the second part of the game. But when it is revealed there is another airship, and you obtain it, the mood becomes a lot more hopeful and you feel like you're on top of things again. The Falcon itself has a sad story attached to it though, with one of the most touching pieces of music in the game. It's hard to not get invested in it yourself.

If you're expanding the scope beyond actual airships, and include other modes of transportation, my secret favourite one is Seiken Densetsu 3's Booskaboo. That thing is just so silly. I can't help but smile whenever I see him. I love you, man.
UNR74ZI.png

Menome

zeppelin_zps16a6d7a6.jpg

The zeppelin from Codename Eagle, the precursor to the Battlefield series. Slow as hell, but you could use it in multiplayer and bomb the hell out of ground troops whilst a second player shot approaching biplanes out of the sky.

moolamb

zeppelin_zps16a6d7a6.jpg

The zeppelin from Codename Eagle, the precursor to the Battlefield series. Slow as hell, but you could use it in multiplayer and bomb the hell out of ground troops whilst a second player shot approaching biplanes out of the sky.

Haha!!! I remember this. It was also good for driving jeeps into (and dropping them shortly after), as well as it's magical ability to fly underground. That game was a brilliant mess!

beat

SOA's Delphinus had an off-brand Wave Motion Gun. That's gotta count for something.

I liked the Normandy 2, but any airship/spaceship you never get to actually fly with direct control by the player loses a lot of points.

... I guess technically you maneuver it around the solar system maps and have to flee enemies in ME3, but that doesn't remotely compare to flying the Delphinus and engaging in ship to ship battles in SOA.

Donos

Balamb Garden all the way. Remembering how i played that game through the whole night and then could finally steer the garden.I was just in awe. ;_;7

Mindwipe

Balamb Garden and the Ragnarok are the correct answers. FFVIII, highpoint of ship design.

Though I do rather like FFX's Fahrenheit too.

Coxy

XTo868N.jpg

While you sadly never get to fly it around an actual map yourself, I do feel some attachment to this one from Atelier Escha and Logy because
You pretty much make it from scratch yourself

Top Bottom