• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite 'airship' in a game?

Videospel

The Ebon Hawk in KotoR always felt like "my" ship.

CTA15Pu.jpg

Metal B

You know, why this

is better then this?

Because the airships from FFVII doesn't look over designed. This thing looks practical and a prototype. You feel like it is barley holding together and to old to actually work. This ariship is such a stupid idea, that's why there is only one of it in the world and you freaking own it! The airship in FFVIII rises the question, why aren't there more air-ships in the world?

MogCakes

The airship in FFVIII rises the question, why aren't there more air-ships in the world?

There are.
3 Ragnaroks exist in VIII's world, but they're all exclusively the product of Esthar technology which far surpasses that of the other nations and pretty much served one purpose before their crew were killed by aliens. Lunatic Pandora is also an airship, as are all the Gardens, though Trabia is destroyed before it gets the chance to activate.

VII has helicopters and planes
(and a rocket)
so technically speaking it has airships in spades (naturally, we never see more than one example of each in the actual game), the Highwind is the only large scale airship in existence and it was used for cargo transport pretty much exclusively by Shinra before the party takes it IIRC.

If you're expanding the scope beyond actual airships, and include other modes of transportation, my secret favourite one is Seiken Densetsu 3's Booskaboo. That thing is just so silly. I can't help but smile whenever I see him. I love you, man.
UNR74ZI.png

Came here to say Ragnarok from FF8, but now I have to go with Booskaboo

No mention of the Great Fox? I'm disappointed in this thread.

Greatfox2.jpg

edit: It counts as an airship because half the time it's in atmosphere with you.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
wuuuut whats this? Never got this far in arcadia before my gcn disk died for no reason :X
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP5tKVj1-q8

Do you remember how you escaped from Valua in the Little Jack before the doors could close on you?

Well, later on in the game, you end up being captured and imprisoned in the grand fortress. While you're making your escape you run into Enrique, the prince of Valua, at the harbor. He joins up with you, and gives you his flagship, the Delphinus, which is easily as powerful as one of the Gigas.

In the delphinus, you realize that the Valuan Grand Fortress has been shut. You blast a hole in the valuan grand fortress using the Delphinus's Moonstone Cannon, and escape through the hole you blew in the fortress. The entire ship fleet of the kingdom of Nasrad could not breach the fortress, and you make it out with one ship and one blast. As the player, you now realize that you possess the greatest ship in the in-game universe, the most powerful ship of the most powerful empire in the game's world, and the only one of its kind, and there's nothing the antagonists can do about it. And you still have half of the game to complete.

It's an awesome moment.

iJ5sSA4.jpg

FF8 Ragnarok

Its funny, I came here to post this and I sincerely didn't think other people (if any) would post it. I love this ship. And I love that so many other gaffers love it too. So many fond memories associated with this ship.

I also really liked the airship in jade empire. It's much simpler and not as cool, but I have a lot of fond memories of that one too. Maybe it was because of the mini game associated with it. Such a great game.II'm still mad that Xbox owners didnt support it enough to warrant a sequel or franchise.

was epoch really an 'airship'? well i guess you use it to move between times, but its not like you can use it to fly around the world (or can you?)

was disappointing that the only mode 7 flying the world in the epoch was during the credits.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
It's been mentioned by 2 people already. I agree though... that's one for my list too.

Ahh, my bad. I was just scrolling down the threads for pics and didn't see any.

My 2nd would be Setzer's from FF6, and also I always loved the opening of FF12 for the '... and airships plied the skies' line from the narrator and the corresponding images.

Airgetlam

bK2VEPu.jpg

Many were mentioned already so I'll just say Lombardia from Wild Arms 3. She was a dragon AND an airplane all in one. She transforms when you take off and when you land. Plus, you can also do aerial battles when you fly around.

Top Bottom