• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite change to the revised Neogaf?

Chinbo37

I started reading this thread and was about to echo most of what i read so far, and to add that it was good to see that this place had finally moved on, without having people constantly talking about what was happening on the other site. Then I turned into page 2, and I can't really say it, can I? Well, at least it's not as frequent as before, so I guess we're on the right track, it'll fade eventually.

In some way there will always be a connection and comparisons etc. But ya hopefully it will lesson over time.

On my end new GAF is awesome and with a slight amount of traffic uptick and some more breaking news and OTs, it will be perfect. I dont need thousands of posts per hour on the same topic.

I just like that I can actually talk about video games now

Hell to the yeah. Not every topic is a political battleground now. I'm pretty extreme left but I am getting as fed up with the alt-left as I am with the alt-right. Not in terms of what they stand for necessarily, but in the way they go about their business. Alt-right will always be more disgusting. Read: Not left and not right, y'all are a-ok, just the alt-varieties.

Being able to talk about sexy female characters in media without getting banned.

This is the sort of thing I was talking about above - you couldn't say anything about a character's body without being called creepy and gross. I understand wanting to foster a community in which female gamers and asexual gamers would feel completely comfortable, but it makes others feel extremely uncomfortable when you frame normal human sexuality as something awful. Churches and creepy parents do that and it makes for some fucked up children.

the absence of soy boys and raging SJWs

That said, this sort of thing isn't okay. This diminutive bullshit serves only to divide. Keep it on 4chan. This is just as bad as the alt-left posters crying "creepy and gross!"

Notifications are great. The forum is well laid out and very easy to read unlike some other forums. Navigation, once you realise where everything is is very intuitive.

Where's the lie tho

Notifications kick so much ass. I no longer have to manually subscribe to a thread and then proceed to never check the threads I've subscribed to. It keeps conversations going because you never forget about a good thread with a lively discussion.

Nymphae

Banned
I like all the changes I've seen, echoing pretty much everything positive mentioned. Particularly the Likes, great way to add positivity.

I was briefly banned here around GG for not having the right opinions, and I just packed it up and said fuck this place. The "discourse" was getting ridiculous.

I recently felt the urge to start discussing some games again, and honestly I'm not at all up to date on what exactly happened to this forum, how and when the split happened......I signed up for "the other forum" last week and started posting, but it very much seems like the place Gaf was when I left.

Can anyone explain, or link me to something that can, exactly what happened?

OH-MyCar

This is the sort of thing I was talking about above - you couldn't say anything about a character's body without being called creepy and gross. I understand wanting to foster a community in which female gamers and asexual gamers would feel completely comfortable, but it makes others feel extremely uncomfortable when you frame normal human sexuality as something awful. Churches and creepy parents do that and it makes for some fucked up children.

Yeah, that's just the thing: I have next to no interest in talking about anime boobs, but I think Dragon's Crown is one of the greatest masterpieces of the entire medium. I love everything about it. I think the Sorceress is a beautiful character design and I love how she's essentially a magical glamour spell; juxtaposing fertility with death rather than the usual, tired old wicked witchey tropes (although she can summon skeletons too). I think Kamitani is the best artist we have working in games, period. I hope Vanillaware's next release is as unfettered creatively as their past games have been.

If I expressed my complete, unconditional adoration for Dragon's Crown as a work of art? I would've been met with a whole lot of:

tenor.gif

I'm not "alt-right". I don't care about anime titties. I'm none of the things they would've associated me with, but it would've been an invisible checkbox labeling me as an "undesirable".

I suppose that's my metric for joining any board in 2018. If my unabashed love for Dragon's Crown is in any way controversial, I'm among the wrong people. I don't care about your damn politics.

Yeah, that's just the thing: I have next to no interest in talking about anime boobs, but I think Dragon's Crown is one of the greatest masterpieces of the entire medium. I love everything about it. I think the Sorceress is a beautiful character design and I love how she's essentially a magical glamour spell; juxtaposing fertility with death rather than the usual, tired old wicked witchey tropes (although she can summon skeletons too). I think Kamitani is the best artist we have working in games, period. I hope Vanillaware's next release is as unfettered creatively as their past games have been.

If I expressed my complete, unconditional adoration for Dragon's Crown as a work of art? I would've been met with a whole lot of:

tenor.gif

I'm not "alt-right". I don't care about anime titties. I'm none of the things they would've associated me with, but it would've been an invisible checkbox labeling me as an "undesirable".

I suppose that's my metric for joining any board in 2018. If my unabashed love for Dragon's Crown is in any way controversial, I'm among the wrong people. I don't care about your damn politics.
I'm down with your opinion. I don't particularly like the art style of Dragon's Crown, but not for any idealism reasons, it just doesn't mesh with me. I'm not looking however to take that enjoyment away from anyone or make anyone feel like enjoying something innocuous should be met with shame. You do you, my dude.

Toe-Knee

I like it all. Especially the slower pace to threads. It's far easier to keep track of things and seeing familiar names pop up it feels a lot more like a community where as before it felt more like a chat room.

woopWOOP

i'd have to say the notification of someone quoting you and linking to it is great. really helpful in keeping up with involved conversations.
This is my favourite addition.

Before that you had to do a manual site search for posts with your nickname in them. When I finally figured this out I discovered people were responding to me many months back without me realizing, but I felt it was way too late to respond at that point. Felt bad, man.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
On the topic of more OTs, I want to contribute more in that regard.

I did post a couple of threads. Before I did, I searched the last 3-5 pages of threads in gaming, I used the Advanced Search function to search for threads on my particular topic, saw there was none, so went about writing up my thread. As soon as I posted it, I noticed there was already a thread on the same topic from hours earlier magically on the front page.

Am I using the search function wrong?

It’s the only thing (besides time & being on mobile) that puts me off creating new threads. Not such a big deal I know, accidentally having multiple threads on the same topic, but it makes me wary of investing a lot of time in a detailed OP.

Mr. Grumpy

Grumpy see, Grumpy do.
It's fantastic that people are happy about many changes that have happened here and hopefully that will improve moving forwards and I really do hate to bring the thread down a little but insulting people and calling people names isn't and never has been acceptable on here and doing it in this thread or any other can and will have consequences.

We are not a forum with a political leaning, we get messages from people telling us that "we" support the right and we get as many messages telling us that "we" support the left but "the forum" has no political opinion and we haven't removed people because we disagree with their politics. We don't ask people to fill in forms about their political opinions when they sign simply because it's not relevant to us here.

If members do act like a dick, I assure you that they will get treated as though they've acted like a dick irrelevant of whatever coloured flag they may choose to wave.

It's a real shame to disrupt a thread that was started in such a constructive way.

ilfait

Real shame. The insults were being thrown around like it was going out of style. It was a madhouse in here. A madhouse. Real shame.

Battlechili

Banned
Difficulty to say when most games doesn't even have an OT and 90% of gaming news either never get's a thread or get's a thread a few hours late.

Be as angry about the other place as people want, but their OTs and gaming threads (where you talk about games) are light years ahead of GAF.

Example: GoWs review thread on gaf is at 522 posts, the other place is at 16,816 and even the games director (Cory Barlog) registered and posted there.

One solution is that those who have thread posting abilities needs to use them, I have not so I can't.
I think that's moreso due to the size of the populous here right now. There's simply not as many people posting. I've also not seen a whole lot of advertising to this place. Whenever people post links to game news they frequently post to that other site, not here. However, I think there's more to "being able to talk about video games" than just post number. Its true that in the current state of affairs a lot of threads won't get much discussion here unfortunately. Its slower and there's less posts. However, on the other hand, there's a lot more freedom to say how you feel about a particular game, and it appears you can actually discuss video games and those related to video games in greater numbers now rather than having certain games and topics disallowed.

To give an example, I made this thread and this thread. These games are banned from discussion on the other site. The threads on this news were locked and no one was allowed to discuss further. Perhaps controversial titles to be sure, but even if people want to complain and talk about them being gross games, I feel like people being able to do that is important. There's more freedom to discuss video games here in general. Even the Shinobi Refle localization announcement I posted here, while something that could be discussed here, is disallowed over there.

I will say though that this place certainly needs threads about news as they come and have some more OTs. I'm doing what I can, though only the realm of niche Japanese games and a few indie games really fits into my domain of interests.

Last edited:
Top Bottom