• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FBI alerted about bulk prepaid phone purchases at several Missouri Walmarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, this is scary. And quite timely, too.

COLUMBIA, MO – Federal officials are concerned about a large quantity of cell phones purchased in four different Missouri cities in less than a week. Police have investigated the purchase of large quantities of cell phones at Walmart stores in Columbia, Jefferson City, Lebanon and Macon. In two cases, the FBI was contacted.

Law enforcement agencies report cellphones are potential tools in the hands of terrorists. The devices can be used to communicate and they’re difficult to trace if they’re prepaid phones; they can also be used as detonators for bombs.

A call about several suspects buying many cell phones at once in Jefferson City was reported by police today.

KMIZ-TV reports that several men bought dozens of phones at a Columbia Walmart late last week, and paid in cash. Police just reported the purchases Monday.

The Macon County Sheriff’s Office said it is investigating a similar report on Wednesday at a Macon Walmart.

Police say two men bought 60-cell phones at Walmart just off of I-44 in Lebanon Saturday. Authorities talked to the men buying the merchandise, but didn’t have a legal reason to detain them, so they were allowed to leave. Police say they did notify the FBI.

“Somebody went in and bought 60 cell phones from Walmart that’s not normal for this area. I’m not going to say just because they’re different religion or just because they’re Muslim–but these people were they were foreign speaking then you need to take notice and you need to let us know because it doesn’t hurt to check on it. You’re not being racist or anything like that you’re just protecting yourself.” Laclede County Sheriff Wayne Merritt tells KYTV.

A spokesman for the FBI tells WDAF-TV that it’s standard procedure for law enforcement agencies to contact them if they deem something to be suspicious. Just because the FBI was contacted does not mean they are investigating the purchases. The alerts could be out of an abundance of caution.
http://fox2now.com/2015/12/10/fbi-alerted-about-bulk-cell-phone-purchases-at-3-missouri-walmarts/

COLUMBIA, MO - ABC 17 News has confirmed someone also tried to buy a suspicious number of phones at Wal-Mart East in Jefferson City, after similar purchases in Columbia, Macon and Lebanon. FBI agents in St. Louis and Springfield have both been contacted and are investigating.

ABC 17 News reported earlier on Wednesday that 100 prepaid cell phones were purchased at two Missouri Walmarts over the weekend, and employees reported the incidents to authorities. On Thursday, police in Jefferson City also said they had a similar report of an attempted purchase within the same time frame.

The Columbia Police Department was notified on Monday of a suspicious purchase at the Walmart on Conley Road. According to the police report, several men bought dozens of phones around 9:30 Friday night.

ABC 17 New talked to a witness who didn't want to be identified said the men paid with cash.

"Right then and there I knew there was not something adding up about this. It's not right, it doesn't make any sense," he said. "Who's going to order 50 phones for Christmas? Who does that?"

"I think on the surface that is suspicious," said Paul Fennewald, the former Missouri Homeland Security Coordinator. "If I had seen the same thing, I probably would have called somebody also."

A similar situation also happened hours later at a Walmart in Lebanon, Mo. Police said two men bought about 60 phones. They were taken into custody, but later released because police said they had no legal reason to detain them.

Macon police and the sheriff's department also said they are investigating a "recent suspicious purchase of multiple cell phones" at their local Wal-Mart.

Fennewald said the prepaid phones are used as a way for criminals to communicate without law enforcement tracking them. He said in many past terrorist attacks cell phones have been used to trigger an explosive device.

The man who saw the phones being purchased in Columbia said he instantly thought the men were up to no good.

"That's the first thing that ran through my mind that something bad could happen," he said. "You know, they could be using these phones for terrorist acts."

Fennewald said the Walmart employees did the right thing by reporting the odd purchase to police. He said everybody should do the same when they see something suspicious.

"If we're going to prevent that next terrorist attack, especially the next terrorist attack in Columbia, Missouri, or Boone County, it's not going to be the FBI, it's not going to be law enforcement, it's going to be the viewers of this broadcast that are probably going to be the key to preventing."

ABC 17 News reached out to Walmart Corporate for comment on the incidents in Missouri.

"Because this is an ongoing investigation, I’d refer you to law enforcement for any information for your story," Betsy Harden, a Walmart spokeswoman, said in an email.
http://www.abc17news.com/news/fbi-investigating-suspicious-purchase-at-columbia-walmart/36877514

I searched, but freely communicate and detonate if old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom