• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FCC wireless chip filing makes me think Sony will announce new Vita hardware

takoyaki

The source in the OP doesn't mention the codename Trinity and it only speculates about a new Vita version with 5GHz support:

quick translation/summary:

SIE has received two certifications from the American FCC for 2 new wireless modules; will there be new versions of PS4/Vita with 5GHz support?

While a new PS4 model is very likely, it’s a very untypical pattern for gaming hardware. There might not just be a high-powered/high-efficiency version of the PS4 but also of the Vita.

The model names are: AW-CB262 and J20H091

PS: As pointed out in the comments, they are from the same line of model numbers as the wireless modules in the PS4 and Vita.

ekim

More chips:
untitledn3s59.png

Paznos

Wait, what?? I don't know what to believe. Hopefully there is a new vita revision microSD support please, or even better PSV2.

down 2 orth

I am pretty sure it is just a minor Vita upgrade. They will not go for another brand new portable.

Although I think I can entertain the idea of a Vita Trinity that has upgraded horsepower. By now, it will cost next to nothing to equip the Vita with a better chip.

But, why?

This is most likely the new wi-fi chip for the Neo.

Where is the OP getting a new Vita from? And where is the reference to the a "Trinity" code name?

The source in the OP doesn't mention the codename Trinity and it only speculates about a new Vita version with 5GHz support:

quick translation/summary:

There is also a thrid filing which was made last week

So we have a total of 3

Is Sony about to flood us with hardware this holiday season?>

More chips:
untitledn3s59.png

So what... inferrences can we even make at this point

Do we have anyone knowledgeable on GAF that can tell us what this volume of filings can indicate?

Pejo

Morpheus - VR
Neo - PS4.5
Trinity - Vita dockable into Neo
lol

What could Tank and Dozer be.....

What a crazy morning.

ekim

There is also a thrid filing which was made last week

So we have a total of 3

Is Sony about to flood us with hardware this holiday season?>

No. Think of those as modular parts of one piece of HW. I made the same mistake when I thought the FCC filings I found from Microsoft were for a Slim and a newer console. Turned out both were used in the Slim. One was the Wifi Chip and one was for Bluetooth. There was also another filing that tested the PCB where both the Wifi and BT chips were assembled on and that had also a unique number. So 3 filings for one device.

This is most likely the new wi-fi chip for the Neo.

Where is the OP getting a new Vita from? And where is the reference to the a "Trinity" code name?

Hold on while we get educated on FCC filings

No. Think of those as modular parts of one piece of HW. I made the same mistake when I thought the FCC filings I found from Microsoft were for a Slim and a newer console. Turned out both were used in the Slim. One was the Wifi Chip and one was for Bluetooth. There was also another filing that tested the PCB where both the Wifi and BT chips were assembled on and that had also a unique number. So 3 filings for one device.

Thanks for looking into this!

So how do we tell the difference in the filings then? Would you be able to once again dig through them and distinguish whether these are for one device or multiple?

People will recognize the genius and contribution of the Vita one day. I don't think Sept 9th will be that day though.

Vita has (had) so much potential. I hope Sony does do something for it.

notaskwid

Sounds like Sony caught wind of Nintendo plans by Eurogamer and decided to preemptively copy them. Nintendo was right all along!

Kouriozan

There is 0 mentions of Vita or PS or a codename or even anything other than a wifi chip in OP, are people just jumping to conclusion without reading it?

marrec

Banned
There is 0 mentions of Vita or PS or a codename or even anything other than a wifi chip in OP, are people just jumping to conclusion without reading it?

The idea that these new filings are related to something in the Playstation family of consoles isn't farfetched.

The idea that this indicates any kind of Vita revival or sequel is completely farfetched. :(

Seems weird that they'd make a new handheld after saying there's no market for it and pulling back all support.
You don't do that to your audience and then surprise people with new hardware.
Also, did the OP really just make up this rumor and the codename? Lol

The only crumb is that the Wi-Fi chip's model number of one of the two hardware filings is similar to the Vita's.

Doubt its a new gen vita. They didn't bring the gaming division back to profits to waste all that effort on this.
Micro SD card support too?

Prepare you anus for those new memory cards

Seeing is believing. Unless Vita gets more games and allows standard micro USB memory cards, this will be D.O.A. Guess Sony won't go quietly with NX set to revolutionize handheld and console gaming.

lol

Doubt its a new gen vita. They didn't bring the gaming division back to profits to waste all that effort on this.

Prepare you anus for those new memory cards

lol

I guess it depends whether they want to leave the NX completely unchallenged in the portable space and the homeland

Ps4 Still hasnt really taken off in Japan

kgtrep

Hope it's the next Vita. Love the device and it really could use a new launch and get the momentum it deserves.

OCD Guy

What will sell more, a successor to a console that sold around 70 million units or a successor to one that sold around 15.

Is that the question you're asking?

Yeah as I don't think it would be clear cut.

The handheld market has changed since the release of the Vita, and I'd say the NX is more likely to tap into the 3ds market more than the Wii U market.

And we know how the vita vs 3ds sales war went....

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Are they trying to make something like the NX? I'm a bit skeptical, due to their withdrawal from supporting the original Vita.
Let's see what this thing is...

Murdamonk

A new Vita revision will be nice....new wifi chip and r2-l2 (please!)....for better remote play...

If it is true... Day 0 for me.

Brilliant....and completely insane. Someone in the Sony boardroom needs to talk to the company drug dealer. First neo and now this, there's some bad gear floating around up there.

Top Bottom