• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FCC wireless chip filing makes me think Sony will announce new Vita hardware

I'm confused, how are you assuming a WLAN Chip has anything to do with a vita? Am I missing something.

It's a chip that allows for AC speeds (Faster than N and N+) which would be needed for NEO is you're broadcasting higher quality images (video) ala Twitch.

"A wireless local area network (WLAN) is a wireless computer network that links two or more devices using a wireless distribution method (often spread-spectrum or OFDM radio) within a limited area such as a home, school, computer laboratory, or office building."

Yeah thats what we are trying to find out

I think the Link was formed based on the certification of multiple WLAN chips but I only see one chip in the source

I mean I want to say its just a simple revision but if you are gonna slap a 5Ghz chip into the Vita and NOTHING else?

They need to address the memory or forget this idea entirely. I have no idea what their plan is but I have to imagine its an upgrade in line with the Neo

A redesign would be on the cards, like they did with the PSP, and the 2nd gen vita resdesign. Make it more compact and lighter. Also, die shrink the internals, if they can, to boost the batery life significantly.

Maybe like others said, and I'm very skeptcal, even a micro sd casd slot.

If the vita was a decent selling product, then I would buy into the rumours a bit more on the new release, as it has been quite a while for the vita to be on market. But, sadly, it hasn't sold well at all.

I know Sony has re built itself around the playstation brand, so maybe just maybe this is them extending that family with more hardware. Imho, I find the wifi chip info more believable.

OPs magnificent ass

lol yeah, I'll calm down and wait for some more evidence that confirms this has anything to do with a new handheld, because as I recall Shuhei said there probably wouldn't be a new handheld due to the smartphone market dominating the industry, I'm pretty sure he said that last year or so and I don't think sony would have created a whole new handheld since then.

Regiruler

Easily. People jumped to conclusions based on a thread title, a Google Translated source and an image of words without reading anything.

Everyone:

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Shit, I landed on loose one turn.

Wait, "loose"?

Bl@de

PS NEO + VITA TRINITY = SONY NX CONFIRMED!

There is not even a mention of Vita anywhere in the documents. Just Wireless chips for possibly anything.

Ok so the source says they certified at LEAST 2 modules

So Unless Neo is getting 2 adapters what else could the be for?

Possibilities

- New Vita
- Wireless Morpheus?
- Ps4 Slim
- Multiple Neo SKUs?

Who the fuck knows

IF this means that a new Vita or handheld is coming, then I'm not happy about this news and here's why: I long for a day where there is no handheld exclusive software. I like good games, but I hate playing them on cramped handhelds, and companies insist on creating good games exclusive to the things so I am forced to. Honestly, I had hoped the Vita was behind us for this reason. At this point I'm sure you're saying "But what about PSTV?". The fact that I have to hack the damn thing to play all my Vita games makes it a piss-poor solution. Once hacked, I am blocked from the store, so I can't take advantage of the new games that come out. If I update, I am blocked from playing half the existing games I bought and paid for. No, sorry, this situation sucks. I am glad for those who might be happy at this news, but I am not.

Ugh. I'm not happy about this news and here's why: I long for a day where there is no handheld exclusive software. I like good games, but I hate playing them on cramped handhelds, and companies insist on creating good games exclusive to the things so I am forced to. Honestly, I had hoped the Vita was behind us for this reason. At this point I'm sure you're saying "But what about PSTV?". The fact that I have to hack the damn thing to play all my Vita games makes it a piss-poor solution. Once hacked, I am blocked from the store, so I can't take advantage of the new games that come out. If I update, I am blocked from playing half the existing games I bought and paid for. No, sorry, this situation sucks. I am glad for those who might be happy at this news, but I am not.

Dude Vita barely has any exclusive software, NX is being built on breaking that barrier

None of the evidence supports this will be the way it is going forward and Vita was pretty much the pioneer of Cross Play between Portable and Console

Sony and Nintendo making NX together.

Won't be day 1 on this unless there is a must have title for it. Got burned by the Vira last time.

Cross Play software seems to be the name of the game man... so i dunno

Ok so the source says they certified at LEAST 2 modules

So Unless Neo is getting 2 adapters what else could the be for?

Possibilities

- New Vita
- Wireless Morpheus?
- Ps4 Slim
- Multiple Neo SKUs?

Who the fuck knows

Could be a new ps4 controller with remote play and HDMI out built in. 🤔

Jimrpg

I'm all for handhelds now. Still playing my Vita plenty these days.

I just dont really need another big console box in the house especially when the PC does almost the same thing.

Yoshida said the market is not good for handhelds. I wouldn't get excited about a brand new anything from Sony in the portable space.

It does seem rather stupid for them not to do something unique with their tablets smartphone lines though. Maybe they are just trying to grow the PS brand more first.

Neo or Vita revision related is my guess

fernoca

Since people are a bit loss:
-Trinity was a joke of sorts added by the OP
-Certification is for a WLAN chip, like the one on the PS4

khaaan

Is the dream already dead? Bummer. I would be all for a Vita revision but I doubt there would be many retailers interested in stocking it. I would be okay with having to purchase it directly from Sony though.

Top Bottom