• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Cast seems decent. I'm expecting something with a slow start, but what can you expect when the outbreak hasn't really begun yet. Hope it does well. It would be nice to get a fleshed out view of the fall of mankind.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A couple more reviews:

Deadline said:
Fear is a strong stand-alone series that actually gives the magnetic original a run for its dramatic money. Yes, there’s a zombie plague pushing civilization to collapse, and in that aspect, the tale of Fear is the same as TWD. However, where the new series differs is the time, tone and locale. And that makes all the difference in this deteriorating world.

Newsday said:
Fear's opening act is a strong one. There's a nice overall build, too, particularly during the second episode.

strafer

Ruben Blades?

Danny boy...
1605.gif

Over here...

Frog-fu

Banned
Can it be worst than regular Walking Dead? I think its impossible

You know, TWD has had some weak half seasons, but I don't think it's a legitimately bad show. Season 5 - with the exception of a particular arc - was great from start to finish.

Also, the TWD thread cannot be beat in terms of banter.

Here's What AMC's 'Fear the Walking Dead' Won't Show

Click the link for details.

#6 has me excited.

Eh... I thought #1 was the main draw to this show. Oh well.

Late Flag

I'm very enthused about this. The "breakdown of society" angle is one that isn't done very often, for obvious reason (there's an endpoint, at which the original storyline is played out). It's TWD, so I'm not getting my hopes up for quality writing, but it's must-watch for me.

HardRojo

I didn't know Ruben Blades was an actor too lol. Keeping expectations low for now, I'm more excited Season 6 since it's supposedly going to be amazing, unlike last season.

Rootbeer

Banned
Subbing! I'll be watching. Seen every ep of the main show and don't intend to miss any of this one, either. I love it's different look and approach.

I've got it set to PVR, and am looking forward to it. Hopefully it'll be good.

Conveniently enough, I'm also going through The Walking Dead (in full) for the first time, and am part-way through Season 3.

TWD:

Rick just saw Michone at the prison gate.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Eh... I thought #1 was the main draw to this show. Oh well.

I really wanted to see #1. I hope at some point either this show or TWD will tell us via a flashback or something.

In the article they mention that it's never going to happen on either show (or the comics).

I'm like 98% sure they already said they would do a crossover eventually.

That was just a rumor.

Will not use the term walkers

Calls the show "Fear the Walking Dead".

Those two things are not in conflict with each other.

Appreciate the Latino-ness of the starting cast, as compared to the low level of blackness in the starting cast of the Atlanta based Walking Dead.

Not really a fan of the casting at all. They really should have gotten someone interesting to bring people to what feels like milking filler.

TripOpt55

I'll definitely be checking this out. I've grown to like The Walking Dead show over the past couple seasons. Hopefully this will turn out pretty good too. The reviews posted in here seem pretty positive so far.

Really hyped for this hoping it'll be great TWD is overall pretty good to me sometimes the filler just gets in tge way at times love the Telltale games and stuff like Z Nation though.

EulaCapra

So apparently episode two
runs the problem of not being shot on location in Los Angeles since episode two onward is being shot in Toronto. Even when TWD ran through rough spots on dialogue and writing, the on location Georgia scenes made the show worth watching. Take that away and it's not nearly as good. That scares me about this. I don't want this show to be full of building shots because AMC is too cheap to film on location where the damn thing takes place in.
I don't think spoiler tags are necessary for this post.

And correction, they filmed in L.A. then moved to Vancouver then back to L.A. Toronto is usually used for New York or Chicago stand-ins.

Christopher

I always wanted a series like this that showed civilization slowly being taken over so awesome!

Will this intertwine with the regular TWD?

neoism

i love the walking dead but i love the cast also... i dont like anyone in this really dont care for the leads... but itll tide me til october i guess...

They're not going to discuss anything that will give some insight into how the events came to be? What's the point of this show again?

Sadist

Ratsky with the Walking Dead thread, goooood.

Going to give it a watch.

Edit: why are people so obsessed with finding out the origins of the dead walking? They just do. It's not about the virus/dead reanimating; it's about the collapse of society and how people cope with it.

raindoc

Ratsky with the Walking Dead thread, goooood.

Going to give it a watch.

Edit: why are people so obsessed with finding out the origins of the dead walking? They just do. It's not about the virus/dead reanimating; it's about the collapse of society and how people cope with it.

it's getting old imho. i'll give this a try, but I'm far from hyped. a cast of physicians, paramedics, cops, soldiers, etc. giving some real insight into the struggle that preceds the end of society would've been my favored flavor for a new zombie show.

bill0527

If the show is succesful I guarantee they will do #2.

I don't know how that would happen. One group is in LA, the other in South Georgia. You've got a couple thousand miles between them and a shitload of zombies. The South Georgia group can't even make it to Washington D.C., much less meet the other group somewhere in the middle of the country.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't know how that would happen. One group is in LA, the other in South Georgia. You've got a couple thousand miles between them and a shitload of zombies. The South Georgia group can't even make it to Washington D.C., much less meet the other group somewhere in the middle of the country.

Did you watch season 5? Rick's group isn't in Southern Georgia anymore. They're in Alexandria, VA which is like 10 miles south of Washington D.C.

someday

Banned
I don't even know how they would go about giving us a cause of zombies in this universe. Somehow, every person on Earth carries the virus, even passing it on to their offspring and it suddenly "kicked in" a couple of years ago in TWD version. How does that happen in a way that isn't hokey?

GavinGT

Banned
I don't even know how they would go about giving us a cause of zombies in this universe. Somehow, every person on Earth carries the virus, even passing it on to their offspring and it suddenly "kicked in" a couple of years ago in TWD version. How does that happen in a way that isn't hokey?

Kirkman says he'll never tackle the issue.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
(trying to generate a bit of discussion to get us to the next page)

How well do you think Fear the Walking Dead will do, ratings wise? Will it be a huge success? Solid but not great? And do you think it will cannibalize the ratings for The Walking Dead proper?

Frostburn

I haven't seen a ton of hype around the show but I think it will do pretty well. None of the teaser stuff they've released about it looks very interesting to me but people will be glad to get back into a Sunday night show again I'm sure.

(trying to generate a bit of discussion to get us to the next page)

How well do you think Fear the Walking Dead will do, ratings wise? Will it be a huge success? Solid but not great? And do you think it will cannibalize the ratings for The Walking Dead proper?

I haven't seen much hype for it here in the UK, I think that's because it's stuck on Youview. Damn shame that Fox didn't pick it up or Sky Atlantic.

Anyway, I think it will do pretty well. Depends how they tackle the outbreak. If it all goes to shit within the pilot, it might become too much like TWD but in an urban setting. If they take the slow approach and have the outbreak spread over the course a few episodes, it might keep people hooked. Slowly ratchet up the tension as we see the outbreak spreading and people doing their best to ignore it.

Basically like the Great Panic in WWZ. Ignore it until it's impossible to keep your head in the sand and watch as society breaks down.

Zaph

Wow, didn't realise this was so soon. Hoping it's a fun watch - I really like Curtis and Dickens. I'm going to need most of the other CW casting to die though.

Here's What AMC's 'Fear the Walking Dead' Won't Show

Click the link for details.

#6 has me excited.

I'm glad for #1 because it inevitably leads to discussion/plot around #3.

Problem with addressing a cure is that it becomes an all-encompassing story-line/motivator - it lazily overrides all other driving forces and unites people in a cheap way which then makes all other inter-personal shit look petty in comparison.

Showing the cause of the outbreak would be disappointing (like a shot of patient zero. Nah, that's not needed), but not having characters discuss the cause of the outbreak and if there's a ever going to be a cure would be weird as hell.

I don't expect the characters to actively seek a cure out, but it would be weird if they didn't at least talk about it.

Top Bottom