• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Will be interesting to see how long they can keep it fresh. I'm really hoping that the Hulu deal makes the episodes available for viewing soon after it comes out.

Frog-fu

Banned
Kirkman says he'll never tackle the issue.

That's pretty shitty. I can easily accept it with shows like The Leftovers that are more spiritual and steeped into mysticism, but the zombie outbreak in TWD was presented as something different entirely.

It's disappointing we'll never find out if the French made any headway in researching the virus or how it spread in the first place.

RPGCrazied

Also, don't forget right before Fear The Walking Dead, is a Talking Dead special, season 6 preview of The Walking Dead!

Bandit1

Also, don't forget right before Fear The Walking Dead, is a Talking Dead special, season 6 preview of The Walking Dead!

Yep! Got it set to record. Think I'll order The Walking Dead Compendium 2 comic in the next couple weeks as well. So ready for some Walking Dead!

I'm going with 3.2 in the ratings, Ratsky. As I commented in the other TV thread, I think they're starting this at the right time, just as schools start back up and people are looking for some TV in the evenings before hitting the sack. Firing it up a few weeks before the networks start up their shows should get quite a few people watching just for the sake of "it's a new show."

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://i.imgur.com/TDL5LEQ.gif

This has been my reaction since it was announced. Kirkman has some lopsided writing, so I don't expect this to really "carry" the prequel/downfall too well. But we'll see. I'd love to be surprised, but I won't be disappointed if it poots out.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Series premiere tonight!

Pilot

In the opener of this "The Walking Dead" spin-off, a dysfunctional blended family is forced together when they realize a reported virus is actually the start of the zombie apocalypse.

The premiere was written by Robert Kirkman & Dave Erickson and was directed by Adam Davidson (Deadwood, Rome, Lost, Treme).

Also, please note that the series premiere is 90 minutes long, so adjust your DVRs accordingly.

Also also, leading into tonight's premiere is an all new 'Walking Dead Season 6 Preview Special' episode of Talking Dead.

JesseZao

Probably wishful thinking that Hulu will have this the same day it airs, right?

I thought that maybe since they made a special deal to get AMC, that we wouldn't have to wait a day.

Jonm1010

Banned
Reading reviews this seems like it shares the same poorly written dialogue and scenarios that the original show has.

Can't say I have much hope for this.

I really wish HBO or Showtime would of taken a stab at a zombie show instead of this. The genre deserves a better take on TV then what we have gotten from AMC.

RPGCrazied

??????????????????????

I'm sure he just means HBO would give it a bigger budget and be more gruesome? I don't know how though, sometimes it can get pretty gory. I think the budget is fine, I do wish they can do a winter season. Love to see Zombies in the snow and how the group can handle that.

Jonm1010

Banned
??????????????????????

Poorly worded. I just meant I wish another network like HBO or Showtime would of greenlit a zombie show. Because AMC has done a pretty poor job with theirs IMO. It would be nice to see the sort of production values HBO or Showtime could bring(even Netflix) coupled with a hopefully better writing staff and crew.

daveo42

Banned
This is tonight? Hmm...might need to rearrange my evening to fit this in. Knew it was coming but am still surprised it's on tonight. It'll be real interesting seeing as no one is in the know on how things will turn out since there isn't any comic book to pull from. At least based on location and characters.

Jonm1010

Banned
I'm sure he just means HBO would give it a bigger budget and be more gruesome? I don't know how though, sometimes it can get pretty gory. I think the budget is fine, I do wish they can do a winter season. Love to see Zombies in the snow and how the group can handle that.

Nah, just would like to see a hopefully better writing crew take a stab at the genre.

Budget reasons would also be nice. Cant say Im not sick a tired of seeing the clear skies, spring/summertime setting. Plus HBO, Netflix or Showtime could go into the more dark places of characters and scenarios that AMC won't really go at this point due to the popularity.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Poorly worded. I just meant I wish another network like HBO or Showtime would of greenlit a zombie show. Because AMC has done a pretty poor job with theirs IMO. It would be nice to see the sort of production values HBO or Showtime could bring(even Netflix) coupled with a hopefully better writing staff and crew.

...what makes you think HBO or Showtime or Netflix could/would provide a better writing staff than AMC?

Jonm1010

Banned
...what makes you think HBO or Showtime or Netflix could/would provide a better writing staff than AMC?

AMC has set the bar pretty low so it wouldn't be very hard. No guarantee it would be successful or better but my point is I would like to see another quality network tackle the genre. One with a little more creative freedom and a better budget.

I would love it if HBO / Starz / etc would do a Last of Us TV show. Fascinating universe, and I think the cordyceps idea of zombie-fication is a bit more interesting with multiple stages and possibility of humans evolving immunity.

Re: TWD, at some point in say 10 or 20 years wouldn't human based zombies be a minor threat, if corpses eventually all rot away? Yes, every person who dies is a new horror but the big threat of 7 billion zombies eventually fades away.

I only watched season 1 and am currently playing the telltale video game (on season 2) so dunno the full history of TWD but I'd sort of be interested also in a show where its 20 or 50 or 100 years past the initial outbreak and see how humanity has come out of it. Fallout, the TV show?

Anyways gonna catch this show but its probably not gonna be up my alley if its mostly people talking about relationships and doing incredibly dumb things, which turned me off TWD a lot.

Jonm1010

Banned
I would love it if HBO / Starz / etc would do a Last of Us TV show. Fascinating universe, and I think the cordyceps idea of zombie-fication is a bit more interesting with multiple stages and possibility of humans evolving immunity.

Re: TWD, at some point in say 10 or 20 years wouldn't human based zombies be a minor threat, if corpses eventually all rot away? Yes, every person who dies is a new horror but the big threat of 7 billion zombies eventually fades away.

I only watched season 1 and am currently playing the telltale video game (on season 2) so dunno the full history of TWD but I'd sort of be interested also in a show where its 20 or 50 or 100 years past the initial outbreak and see how humanity has come out of it. Fallout, the TV show?

Anyways gonna catch this show but its probably not gonna be up my alley if its mostly people talking about relationships and doing incredibly dumb things, which turned me off TWD a lot.

Yeah I think one of the major drawbacks of serious zombie fiction is that the classic zombie archetype falls apart under the weight of its logical problems.

For Instance at this point in TWD the gang should pretty much be more worried about starvation, other humans and disease. The show should barely be about zombie threats at this point. Other then the occasional outbreak or as a function of necessity to operate in day to day life.

Zombies as the slow, rotting villains are pretty easily dealt with when you have strong walls, riot gear, gloves and weapons. Logically, the classic zombie peaks as a problem shortly after the outbreak has effectively spread and they would diminish in threat from there on for any well prepared group. So shows like TWD begin to have to do mental gymnastics to keep zombies as a meaningful threat.

TLOU gives a nice twist to it and provides a more solid logical base. As does 28 Days later with the virus that makes people crazed.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
One with a little more creative freedom and a better budget.

Outside of strong language and graphic nudity, I'm not really sure what kind of creative limitations AMC has that HBO/Showtime/Netflix don't? The Walking Dead has already gone to some extremely dark places with their characters - I'm not sure what else could be done outside of something like (comic)
what The Governor does to Michonne in the comic, and what she does to him in return. It's extremely disturbing and graphic and I doubt any channel would touch something like that, especially in today's climate.
Hell, HBO passed on Preacher because it was too "dark, violent, and controversial" while AMC had no problem taking a crack at it, so if anything, AMC is the place for these riskier types of shows.

And people always harp on the budget (I don't believe we even know what the current budget is, btw) but I'm not sure what people even want out of a bigger budget Walking Dead - an exotic new locale every week? More zombies? A completely different show in the vein of World War Z? The primary issues people seem to have with the show stem from the writing and characterization and I'm not sure how a bigger budget would improve those things?

For Instance at this point in TWD the gang should pretty much be more worried about starvation, other humans and disease. The show should barely be about zombie threats at this point.

Hmmm....

Bandit1

I actually made a thread about that way back. Got a lot of negative feedback though, even after I made it clear the show would not tread on Joel and Ellie's story in any way.

My vision for a Last of Us TV show was similar to how Fear the Walking Dead is starting out, just before the outbreak, taking the viewer through the downfall of society in the first season. It could somewhat ride the coattails of Walking Dead's success, but be a much more plausible scenario: the infected don't come back from the dead and they don't have to be shot/stabbed in the head. My idea was that in later seasons the show would cover much different ground than The Walking Dead, introducing things like the quarantine zones, government becoming almost totalitarian, stripping away people's guns and rights, rationing food, and eventually the formation of the Fireflies.

I thought it was a pretty good idea.
*shrugs*

someday

Banned
For Instance at this point in TWD the gang should pretty much be more worried about starvation, other humans and disease. The show should barely be about zombie threats at this point. Other then the occasional outbreak or as a function of necessity to operate in day to day life.

Zombies as the slow, rotting villains are pretty easily dealt with when you have strong walls, riot gear, gloves and weapons. Logically, the classic zombie peaks as a problem shortly after the outbreak has effectively spread and they would diminish in threat from there on for any well prepared group. So shows like TWD begin to have to do mental gymnastics to keep zombies as a meaningful threat.

TLOU gives a nice twist to it and provides a more solid logical base. As does 28 Days later with the virus that makes people crazed.

Isn't that what we already see in TWD? The only times zombies kill anyone is when the humans are being incredibly stupid. It is actually one of the flaws I see with the series. They've made the walkers less of a threat than other humans and basic needs, and this isn't nearly as much fun to watch. Seeing dirty people infighting is not often compelling tv.

That is why I'm really looking forward to FTWD since the zombies are a threat again.

jond76

Banned
I'm super excited for this.

I hope they can play up the differences of a deputy being the lead of TWD and teachers in this one.

Isn't that what we already see in TWD? The only times zombies kill anyone is when the humans are being incredibly stupid. It is actually one of the flaws I see with the series. They've made the walkers less of a threat than other humans and basic needs, and this isn't nearly as much fun to watch. Seeing dirty people infighting is not often compelling tv.

That is why I'm really looking forward to FTWD since the zombies are a threat again.

These zombies were never a threat. The characters are written so poorly that they die to them. The zombies are slow, dumb, and don't do anything except shamble at you. You die because you stand next to a corpse (in a world where there's lots of corpses walking around) and think, "Ah, good place to chill". If you can circle up and smash zombies with shovels then this zombie apocalypse isn't a threat--you've made a serious Shaun of the Dead at that point.

Zombies in Fear get sort of threat because the series doesn't want to acknowledge military might.

What in the world makes you say that??

Because they're slow and horrible at catching anything.

Some, yes. But all? Nope. Just like in every other piece of zombie fiction.
You can write characters well who die in situations that aren't dumb. The remake of Dawn of the Dead has this: dog runs across lot, man let's dog in, zombies take chance and zerg door, man gets bit. This is a legit reason to put yourself in danger that makes sense and works. Most of the Walking Dead stuff is completely off compared to how they normally dispatch zombies.

So your problem with them is that they're...zombies?
Naw, that they portray them as this but all these competent people get rekt by them all the time. I get it, numbers and what not, but eventually you gotta take a step back and realize all these people died because they were written badly because the characters have shown to make smart decisions.

You've also ignored how that comment ties in with the rest.

Top Bottom