• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Great scores! Been looking forward to this ever since I saw a trailer a couple of years ago. I honestly don't know much about it at this point, I want to go in blind.

see5harp

Just added a 9.5 to the MC fire. I won't promote it here, but yes, the game is pretty incredible :D

Since you have played a ton and gotten through most of the secret tough stuff, would you say that the toughest cubes in this game are tougher or easier than the toughest puzzle pieces in Braid?

Magnalon

Neo Member
Since you have played a ton and gotten through most of the secret tough stuff, would you say that the toughest cubes in this game are tougher or easier than the toughest puzzle pieces in Braid?

Much tougher, IMO. As someone said earlier in this thread, they thought about one particular puzzle for three days before solving it.

Some puzzles are fairly involved and seemingly convoluted, but as I've noted previously, thankfully you can still complete the game without having to deal with them (if you wish).

see5harp

Much tougher, IMO. As someone said earlier in this thread, they thought one particular puzzle for three days before solving it.

Some puzzles are fairly involved and seemingly convoluted, but as I've noted previously, thankfully you can still complete the game without having to deal with them (if you wish).

Wow, really excited now. Not that I'll ever get through everything but hopefully people who just watched the GB quicklook and assumed it was a cheap cakewalk with no discovery are listening. Thanks.

Riposte

There we go, I felt like the thread was going to turn from its neutral/positive pace soon.

This is a good thing. Reviews are fucking worthless ("Miyamoto's 2001: Space Odyssey!" LOL) and so are posters who want to make this sound like a "retro" game a la Super Mario Bros (it is clearly not. Fucking infinite lives and puzzle mechanics). I want brutally (even unfairly) critical posters to tell me what this game really is by digging into it. The only positive thing I've heard is "its get harder", which is a good thing since it looks like the easiest game of the year in the previews. However I remain unconvinced. I want people who think all the previews look like crap (in other words people who are not ready to like Fez) tell me it is hard (or how it isn't).

I'd also like to know if you gain new tools (i.e. new puzzle types) as the game progresses. That's something anyone can tell me I guess.

Marco1

I suppose considering the praise Fez is getting all eyes will be on Phil to see what comes next.
It must be a lot of pressure to follow up something like this. Sorry for going off topic.

Okay maybe you did not completely write off the game and say it sucked, but you did state that is was a "bland endeavor." That's a somewhat damning statement for a game that hasn't even come out yet. Even still, I'm not saying you are not entitled to speak your mind but don't get salty when people who have been waiting for years are finally getting to play it. The same thing will happen for Dust, Trials Evolution, and plenty of other *gasp" XBLA games.

I stated that it did look like a bland endeavor, which it does to me. As I said, I can't judge it as I haven't played it yet.

I will just go back to lurking as I don't want to derail the thread further. We're all here due to interest in the game, so let's continue looking at the reviews and other news about it.

see5harp

I don't think everyone here wants to hear "Miyamoto's 2001 A Space Odyssey" or Jeremy Parish talking about Picasso and cubism either. Everyone who has been playing the game and posting has been giving very solid impressions including posts that indicate the game is tough and that there's plenty of stuff to discover if the player desires.

To adventure: I read your post as "this game looks cute BUT at it's heart is a bland endeavor." That's what you wrote so that's what I read.

Beaulieu

This is a good thing. Reviews are fucking worthless ("Miyamoto's 2001: Space Odyssey!" LOL) and so are posters who want to make this sound like a "retro" game a la Super Mario Bros (it is clearly not. Fucking infinite lives and puzzle mechanics). I want brutally (even unfairly) critical posters to tell me what this game really is by digging into it. The only positive thing I've heard is "its get harder", which is a good thing since it looks like the easiest game of the year in the previews. However I remain unconvinced. I want people who think all the previews look like crap (in other words people who are not ready to like Fez) tell me it is hard (or how it isn't).

I'd also like to know if you gain new tools (i.e. new puzzle types) as the game progresses. That's something anyone can tell me I guess.

Finishing the game is not that hard.
Getting "100%" is incredibly hard and I don't think I'm intelligent enough to ever do it. only 2 people out of the 200+ on the leaderboard right now seem to have done it, and I'm not even sure they reached the max %.

You don't get new tools per say, but you get new information to help you identify and decifer previous puzzle, if that makes sense.

Riposte

Finishing the game is not that hard.
Getting "100%" is incredibly hard and I don't think I'm intelligent enough to ever do it. only 2 people out of the 200+ on the leaderboard right now seem to have done it, and I'm not even sure they reached the max %.

You don't get new tools per say, but you get new information to help you identify and decifer previous puzzle, if that makes sense.

How many puzzles are there? Often times these games have too many puzzles that fall to the side of filler.

This is probably a good game and I should buy it one day, but damn if all those reviews aren't making me scratch my head. Are they following some kind of a standardized template, "indie darling gets 5 stars and several paragraphs of cringeworthy gushing" or something?

I can't believe I heard about this game 2-3 years ago and now it's almost here. I'm holding off Skullgirls just for this. Planning on trying the demo first, just to be sure, but I'm still hyp-- no, looking forward to this game. "Hyping" is sort of overstating it.

EDIT: Checking the GameFAQs board for this game is starting to become a headache. Can't tell if that one guy hating on the game is stubborn, trolling, or just isn't looking forward to it.This pretty much sums it up.

lol at review scores...

it's the current indy darling game. it used to be braid, which was a disaster.

my friend downloaded this, i'll have to at least give it my fair and honest opinion, but from playing countless games like it, it doesn't look anything special.

zweifuss

lol at review scores...

my friend downloaded this, i'll have to at least give it my fair and honest opinion, but from playing countless games like it, it doesn't look anything special.

Braid was a disaster? I look back fondly on that game. Look forward to this one!

TheOddOne

lol at review scores...

Limbo? Castle Crashers?

Zia

This is probably a good game and I should buy it one day, but damn if all those reviews aren't making me scratch my head. Are they following some kind of a standardized template, "indie darling gets 5 stars and several paragraphs of cringeworthy gushing" or something?

I'm scratching my head at why you're so surprised that an immature medium that attracts uncultured, immature people with an Aspergerian need to quantify everything (see: someone above looking for a fucking value judgement based on how difficult a game is) would have a narrow critical purview? Do you feel the same way about every universally praised game with an advertising budget multitudes that of Fez's total budget?

LQX

So glad they went with 800 points as I will now more than likely buy if as good as the reviews say.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So is this game gonna go live at 2am tonight like the old days?

Riposte

I'm scratching my head at why you're so surprised that an immature medium that attracts uncultured, immature people with an Aspergerian need to quantify everything (see: someone above looking for a fucking value judgement based on how difficult a game is) would have a narrow critical purview? Do you feel the same way about every universally praised game with an advertising budget multitudes that of Fez's total budget?

So I have Asperger's now? You know directly insulting fellow posters probably isn't the right move for longevity.

The challenge of the puzzles is extremely important. For it is a puzzle game and one with a smaller scope and trite, low-quality visuals at that. You can call that narrow if you want. I like "precise". Difficulty is a big deal for every game I play, as it is the shortest way to mental stimulation. Obviously the more complex a game becomes (e.g. not a 2D platformer) the less difficult it needs to be. Sandbox-like RTS games like Europa Universalis are not exactly difficult (in the same sense a 2D platformer might be, strict), but still gives strain.

So I expect a puzzle game to have good puzzles (you know, they need to puzzle me). Maybe this will be the case with Fez, though probably locked away after hours of filler. That is the MO of indie puzzle games short of SpaceChem and few others I've played.

daycru

Can you grade the sound out of ten for me?

I just need a fix.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So I expect a puzzle game to have good puzzles (you know, they need to puzzle me). Maybe this will be the case with Fez, though probably locked away after hours of filler. That is the MO of indie puzzle games short of SpaceChem and few others I've played.

I agree with that part, but most "puzzle" games currently have a doable main campaign and super hard extra challenges (like getting 100%), or an extra mode after the main campaign. Not trying to start a fight with you, but what is your problem with those games being accessible, yet offering challenge for those who seek it?

Riposte

That is not what I said. However, your dismissal of anything experiential is a little tiring.

All videogames are "experiential". You cannot play a videogame and not have an experience. You can not live a day on Earth and not have an experience.

I agree with that part, but most "puzzle" games currently have a doable main campaign and super hard extra challenges (like getting 100%), or an extra mode after the main campaign. Not trying to start a fight with you, but what is your problems with those games being accessible, yet offering challenge for those who seek it?

Because I have to play the bad/dumb parts to play the good parts? I'm not going to ignore that.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Because I have to play the bad/dumb parts to play the game parts? I'm not going to ignore that.

Yeah, I guess thats something you just need to live with. Not every game is made for everyone's tastes, and I'd say the current setup we have with those games is a GOOD one, since it allows all interested players to enjoy the part of the game they like. If games were super hard, right from the start, you have a shitload of work to do to show the people why they should be playing that game since they are intimitated (see SpaceChem).

I mean, of course SpaceChem handles that very elegantly by giving you access to the Super hard levels right from the start, but I wouldnt complain about the issue too much. I think we can be glad that this level of difficulty is existing in those games at least, unlike the level of depth in AAA RPG's these days.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I understand that it is an issue that bugs you, but I think the "ferocity" of this argument here is a bit out of proportion.

hampig

I like the art, I think the game looks interesting, and I'm more than willing to give it a try so that I may properly judge it afterwards.
POSITIVITY YEAH!

lol at review scores...

If you want the game to fail so badly, what the fuck are you doing in this thread exactly?

Daeda

Just finished the regular game (that is, collected the 32 cubes but not the harder anti-cubes)

Very charming game that uses some very smart mechanics (not just the 3d rotating)

And the anti-cube puzzles are HARD, so collecting them all without a walkthrough will keep people busy for hours.

Last but not least: dat music

Toma

If you want the game to fail so badly, what the fuck are you doing in this thread exactly?

Its a blatant troll, ignore him.

I mean :
but from playing countless games like it, it doesn't look anything special.

That sentence alone makes me cringe.

see5harp

I really don't see how you could watch a video of this game with the awesome sound and music and think "wow, this game has low quality visuals and such trite design."

Top Bottom