• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super TIME Force Ultra |OT| Super Friends on Super Adventures [PC out now]

gidWRP6.jpg

gif the kid bobbin his head!

Got it, Played a little of it, Love it. can't wait to jump back in.

Played through 198X, fingding the gameplay and time mechanic a bit off putting, but that first boss fight was pretty cool. With the more prior lives I had dumping into the boss, his life bar decreasing and going through his patterns faster, rendering a lot of my old lives pointless quickly was neat and made me rethink how I was handling the rewind mechanic.

AEREC

I've only completed 198x and 10,000,000 BC so far but I wonder if stuff you do in the earlier time levels affects enemies or things that show up in the later time levels (ie Dino's in 199X)?

Lucent

Welp, I didn't win Major Nelson's twitter contest. =l At least he's nice enough to post the winners so you're not left wondering.

Guess I'll have to buy it myself. lol.

So is there any difference between the 360 and XB1 version??

Polygon say this:

LAST GEN VS NEXT GEN
Super Time force is releasing on both the Xbox One and the Xbox 360, but players who haven't made the jump to next gen shouldn't worry too much. The differences cosmetically are slight — the game runs at a lower framerate and resolution on 360 (don't hurt yourself laughing too hard at the second part), but is otherwise identical visually and mechanically. The Xbox One version does take advantage of the consoles GameDVR feature: hitting the "Y" button during end level replays will capture it for posterity and, if you choose, upload to Youtube, Onedrive, or Upload Studio.

It's a total rush to completely destroy your near finished run of a level when you time out to start at the beginning and then go on to beat your best pace by wrecking everything faster than any other and saving so many of those lives making yourself completely awesome. Great stuff.

Nemesis_

Do you guys know if the game will kick us out when the patch hits or will it only notify if we reboot the game?

Kept getting an error trying to buy it on XB1. Just noticed it deducted the price from my account credit, but the game still hasn't started the download, and still shows it available to purchase.

Edit: Got it to download but it charged my account twice. :/

Any game that really makes you think in ways that you normally don't while still managing to be amazing fun are an A+ in my book.

It's comforting to know that I'm actually getting some brain exorcise by doing something that I love.

Amazing job Cappy.

Fjordson

Kept getting an error trying to buy it on XB1. Just noticed it deducted the price from my account credit, but the game still hasn't started the download, and still shows it available to purchase.

Edit: Got it to download but it charged my account twice. :/
Damn, that sucks. I was getting errors trying to download the demo this morning on 360. Hopefully they fix this stuff soon.

Lucent

I bought it through the online site and then installed it from the console itself. I kinda forgot the password I used to allow buying stuff on the store from the console. lol. But it worked fine that way.

DirtyLarry

Guess it is a good thing there was not a demo, if there was, I would not have purchased it. I can absolutely see people loving this game and really getting into it, it can no doubt be incredibly strategical. Unfortunately I am not one of those people. I have limited time to game these days, so feeling like I am trying to figure out quantum physics of gameplay is not my idea of a fun game.

Glad others are enjoying it. I am not really.

Maybe it will all just click soon, but not sure I will give it enough time to do so. Just being honest.

jwillenn

Any game that really makes you think in ways that you normally don't while still managing to be amazing fun are an A+ in my book.

I agree. I'm already having a blast as a novice, and I think I'll enjoy finding ways to move through stages faster while saving lives to recruit. For those who are playing but are a little confused about what proper play looks like, watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clgoJRc-VKI

Pay attention to the Lou Don Jim Rescue and what happens afterwards. Notice that the player rescues LDJ, goes back in time with LDJ, and doesn't repeat the rescue sequence because that would be a major waste of time.

Grisby

Beat the first boss with 0 minutes on the clock. Was super tense. Went on to beat the first level of Dino land too.

Game is fun but I'm still getting the hang of it. Love the visual style and I enjoy taking in the backgrounds on the replay footage.

Shieldey seems like a must during boss battles. Just park him in front and then spawn dudes to help out.

Also, NOT ON MY TIME WATCH!

Yuterald

Game's sooooooo good! Had zero expectations going into this, pretty much blown away by it. The time mechanics clicked instantly. Game's got a total Wonderful 101-like feel with the unleashing of different attack types at once. Biggest surprise of the year so far.

The only thing I hate, is I accidentally hit "B" all the time and always when I have a Sup'ed up player. If I could map rewind to "Y" I would be happy dude, or if Capy could turn down the sensitivity on the "B" button.

Other then that the game is still a blast!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Guess it is a good thing there was not a demo, if there was, I would not have purchased it. I can absolutely see people loving this game and really getting into it, it can no doubt be incredibly strategical. Unfortunately I am not one of those people. I have limited time to game these days, so feeling like I am trying to figure out quantum physics of gameplay is not my idea of a fun game.

Glad others are enjoying it. I am not really.

Maybe it will all just click soon, but not sure I will give it enough time to do so. Just being honest.

It's really not that hard, or that much of a time commitment, depending on how you look at it.

A good rule of thumb: React to whatever happens.
  • If you troop dies by bullets, rush someone ahead of them, to either kill the enemy, or shield the bullets.
  • If something is taking a long time to die, find a safe spot to shoot from... them dump 10 people in that spot, and let them ALL shoot too!
  • Shard collecting? See a shard pop back in a dumb direction? Just sit someone at the spot where the shard shoots towards (like on a roof) and wait for the thing to pop in your direction.
A few notes:
  • Important thing to remember: If something is collected once, it counts for the rest of the run, even if you rewind past it, or keep the even from happening by going past it. So you don't have to worry about collecting everything in a perfect run.
  • You can take the game as fast, or as slow, as you wish. Run the whole stage, rewind to the beginning, and do it all over again! Rewind and replay every 30 seconds and launch max firepower at every situation!
  • Unlike most "puzzle" games, there's no shame in brute-forcing a situation here. The option to play with finesse, or wild and reckless insanity, is totally up to you.

Even when you finally BEAT something, the overall time of completion is only a few minutes. I really like that about the game; if the stage segments were over-stuffed, in order to artificially lengthen things, the game would possibly become a chore. But they're all pretty short and sweet, and can be passed in under 5 minutes each.

One of the best thing about the game is that there ARE no set rules. You could technically beat the game with the default 3 troops, but everyone else you get just adds another toy to your playground. Each one gives you a bit more style to play around with, but none of them really force you to stick to prescribed ways to play.

Hopefully, you can fall into a style of play that works for you!

*Had played it at PAX last year

Played the trial (twice) and enjoyed it, the game is a laugh. I've just moved away from the 360 & couch gaming as an active platform right now, only playing anything substantial on PC & handhelds.

So I've a feeling if I buy it, I'll play it once or twice and not make enough time to come back to it and get as good as I need to properly enjoy it. I'll see, the game is a good laugh, but I feel I'd give it more time on my Vita or laptop, something I can easily share a bit more and pass the controller to someone to have a go with.

So yeah, the problem is with me. What I need for a console game that requires investment (i.e. is challenging and will punish you for being lazy / tired after work) is someone to share the experience with, which I don't have right now.

[Game is gud, real pretty and a good laugh, once you get over the 15 minute hump]

LiK

Funny story when buying on Xbox One. Looks like I technically just spent $30 on this. It said I had an error when purchasing but then I had $14.99 in my MS account. Apparently it won't let me use it cuz of the tax so I switched it to CC and it purchased it. LOL

Whatever, now I have $14.99 for something else whenever that comes along.

legbone

The only thing I hate, is I accidentally hit "B" all the time and always when I have a Sup'ed up player. If I could map rewind to "Y" I would be happy dude, or if Capy could turn down the sensitivity on the "B" button.

Other then that the game is still a blast!

same here. glad i'm not the only one. b button and my fat thumb are seriously pissing me off.

DirtyLarry

snipped for length

If something is taking a long time to die, find a safe spot to shoot from... them dump 10 people in that spot, and let them ALL shoot too!
Thank you for taking the time to post this. It truly is appreciated.

I actually played after I posted, and slowly kind of started getting the hang of things as a result. These tips really do help tremendously and will be the difference between me enjoying the game and not enjoying it. So again, thank you for taking the time to do this.

So the thing I am not quite seeing / grasping just yet is the part I did not snip out. This suggestion of using 10 people. Is it a matter of spawning them in a quick succession, or letting them each shoot for 5 seconds each as an example?

And what happens to those 10 people once the enemy is successfully taken out? Do you absorb them somehow? Or do they just stay suspended in time so to speak wherever they were before they timed in the next person?

I think once I get that aspect down and understood, my enjoyment of the game will grow massively.

I did get through the second level with my man Jef wreaking havoc pretty damn smoothly. Have to say it felt good once I was able to do so.

So I think it is definitely growing on me.

I was having some doubts about buying this. Fearful it would be too tedious, and complicated.

After finishing the first couple levels I'm really liking it. I love the style and humor. Love the general feel of the character movement. Love the different abilities.

It's just a unique concept, and it's executed really well. Charming piece of work.

Bsigg12

How do you get this rank? I have collected all the glorbs and the purple things but I dont know what the other thing is I have initiated it but i dont know how to find it.

At the end there is the weird color thing and it adds a clock to the hud in the upper right. You then rewind all the way to the beginning. You have to finish the level in that time I believe using the slow motion stuff to get through it. That's at least the impression I've gotten from it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thank you for taking the time to post this. It truly is appreciated.

I actually played after I posted, and slowly kind of started getting the hang of things as a result. These tips really do help tremendously and will be the difference between me enjoying the game and not enjoying it. So again, thank you for taking the time to do this.

Not a problem at all! Helps me put some rhyme to the reasonless slaughter that just occurred on screen, too.

So the thing I am not quite seeing / grasping just yet is the part I did not snip out. This suggestion of using 10 people. Is it a matter of spawning them in a quick succession, or letting them each shoot for 5 seconds each as an example?

The characters only act out as much as you make them do. So if all one needs is 2 seconds of backup, you play that, press "B" to Time out, and then do it again on that spot. If you want them to run 60 seconds of stage and then rewind, and fight along side them, that's ALSO an option! Each clone will act out the total actions you played. After that, they disappear.

There's some unique wrinkles to that, but hopefully, you just naturally catch on to them as you play.

And what happens to those 10 people once the enemy is successfully taken out? Do you absorb them somehow? Or do they just stay suspended in time so to speak wherever they were before they timed in the next person?

People you timeout yourself just disappear, I believe. This takes one of your 30 lives. The ones that are killed pop a little skull bubble up on screen, showing where they died. If you save them, then they float in space, waiting to be rescued and become a power up. I think this still counts as a lost life, too.

The powerup adds their charge attack to yours. So you can actually have Shieldy shooting Aimy's sniper shots while dropping a shield, or a Aimy sniper rifle that shoots Mel's Shotgun shells simultaneously...

So basically each spawned character counts as a resource. Either one that gave you assistance, and disappears, or one that can be saved from death, and absorbed to give you extra firepower and HP.

The Glorbs in the stages each give you an additional life, so you don't have to worry TOO MUCH about spending lives for profit, initially.

I think once I get that aspect down and understood, my enjoyment of the game will grow massively.

I did get through the second level with my man Jef wreaking havoc pretty damn smoothly. Have to say it felt good once I was able to do so.

So I think it is definitely growing on me.

It's satisfying to me, that in a game that allows you to have SO MUCH firepower... one properly used character still feels like they can wreck shop. I think I fell in love with Melanie Gibson and her shotgfun at first use. She actually did REAL damage, much like Aimy's charges.

I also love how watching the replays can make you look like the BEST PLAYER EVER, haha. All you see is a straight run, with you killing enemies before they have a chance to fire, deftly maneuvering through obstacles, and grabbing each secret, without any stop in progress.

It's almost like every stage is your very own Tool-Assisted Superplay!

Took me a while to get used to the rewind ability but I got it now i love this game.

also why isn't Blinx the Cat in this game? LOL

Edit: I just realized those are the same kids from the TIME OUT! trailer lol.

Directrix

Neo Member
I also love how watching the replays can make you look like the BEST PLAYER EVER, haha. All you see is a straight run, with you killing enemies before they have a chance to fire, deftly maneuvering through obstacles, and grabbing each secret, without any stop in progress.

It's almost like every stage is your very own Tool-Assisted Superplay!

Yeah. I was mesmerized by my first replay. It's a really neat feature. All that chaos and trial and error culminates in an almost deceptively smooth final run.

Loving the game so far. I'm finding it challenging, but that's not a bad thing.

def sim

The post mission replays help put together what this game is about. The time ability lets me watch my back(s) and allows me to do what feels like a "perfect" run. It's such a novel concept and something I didn't expect even watching some of the trailers. I hope STF can reach a large audience; I'm truly impressed by what I've played so far.

edit: SAB, thanks for posting some hot tips!

FUME5

Played an hour or so last night - great little game., I actually laughed at some of the dialogue, which is rare as fuck.

I can tell there's going to be some serious mental gymanstics required in the later stages.

Lima

Lol that doctor at the start cracked me up.

like dis if u cri evrytiem

Any early predictions on how hard the 1000 gs is from some of you guys further into the game?

Thanks for that, very useful.

Loving the game so far. Finished 198x and the medieval levels, and doing 199x now.

The time mechanic is brilliant, and it really makes getting the collectibles fun.

Hope it helps.

199X is one of my favourite levels. The Funderdome made me smile, as did the very start of the level.

Top Bottom