• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super TIME Force Ultra |OT| Super Friends on Super Adventures [PC out now]

Vert boil

Code:
███████╗████████╗███████╗██╗   ██╗
██╔════╝╚══██╔══╝██╔════╝██║   ██║
███████╗   ██║   █████╗  ██║   ██║
╚════██║   ██║   ██╔══╝  ██║   ██║
███████║   ██║   ██║     ╚██████╔╝
╚══════╝   ╚═╝   ╚═╝      ╚═════╝  PC edition deets,

Three new characters are included
- Saxton Hale from TF2. He fights with his bare knuckles.
- The Pyro from TF2. He wields a flame thrower and a Flare gun.
- Zoey from L4D. She wields two pistols and lobs gas canisters.

Ultra Force
- Each character now has an Ultra version (unlocks after beating the game).
- Each character is more powerful but you can only use a limited number of each,
  plus they explode when they die.

Helladeck challenge levels
- A set of 50 challenge levels have been added

Secondary Soundtrack that plays during slow-mo.

15$

The additions will come to the XBOX One version eventually
(no specifics about the XBLA version).
GoG (10% discount) - Humble bundle store - Steam (10% discount)

logo750uypiz.gif

40wesdt.png
First Peek (2011) || TIME OUT! with Super TIME Force! (2012) || GAMEPLAY FROM FUTURE PAST FUTURE (2013)
56btsdz.png
SUPER TIME FORCE 101 (2013) || PREPARE TO DIE DIE DIE∞ (2014) || Sloooowww Motion || Release Trailer
7apspz.png
3005aswv.png
STFU PC edition Trailer

2009kskk.png
15fes4n.png
Rev3Games: 50 mins of gameplay with Kenneth Yeung

Developer: Capybara Games
Publisher: Microsoft Studios (XBLA), Capybara Games (PC, Xbox One)
Release Date: May 14th (XBLA, Xbox One)
92mjs6y.png
August 25th (PC)
92mjs6y.png
2015 (PS4, Vita)
Formats: PC, XBLA (360), Xbox One.
Modes: Single player only.
Price: 15$

group159kl8.png

Super TIME Force is a single player time travelling side scrolling run and gun shooter influenced by Contra, Gunstar Heroes, Metal Slug and elements of games like Braid, Super Meat Boy and Track Mania. "Singleplayer Co-op" is the term used to describe the gameplay of Super TIME Force. Either through brute force or strategy, you use ghosts of your past lives to play with yourself. With only a limited amount of time and lives to complete a level, you fast forward and rewind through time to create new lives/characters to help yourself progress.
The game is heavily influence by Eighties and Nineties pop culture.

bannerdevelopment0qjf6.png

2517suw.png
1002tsk6.png
teamuqjlq.jpg

A prototype for what would become Super TIME Force was made in May 2011 during the three day Toronto Game Jam 6. The theme of the Jam was "what just happened?" and it was created by three members of Capy, programmer Kenneth Yeung and artists Mike and Vic Nguyen. Capy started development of Super Time Squad as a side project, only dedicating one day a week and four members to the game for the first six months. In October 2011 the First Peek trailer was released as part of Super T.I.M.E. Force's entry to the Independent Games Festival and in March 2012 the game won the XBLA Award at the IGF and received a publishing deal for XBLA.
The games mechanics have evolved greatly over the Capy Years of development. Starting at PAX East in April 2012, the game has been constantly shown to the public so that Capy could learn from the players and guide the development of the game.

bannerstoryuqfey.png

Philadelphia, USA. 1987. Doctor Repeatski invents time travel... Cue the Apocalypse.

Commander Repeatski, Doctor Repeatski's future self sets about to form a team to fix mistakes that have occurred.

bannergameplayx1e6m.png

The core of the game is to beat levels within a certain time. Apart from a limited amount time extending pickups, the main way to clear a level is to use the time travel mechanic to either over power enemies with multiple characters or take advantage of time travelling by performing multiple tasks at the same time with multiple characters.

Time travel
You have the ability to fast forward or rewind through time and choose the specific time you want to spawn a new character/life. You can either do this by choosing to at anytime, do it when you are killed or when you run out of time. TIME OUT is the term used in game.

A few basic examples of how to TIME OUT,
  • If you are in a tough area, you can TIME OUT and rewind multiple times so you can go all Bullet Hell on the enemies.
  • If you are running through a level and spot a collectable, instead of spending ten seconds collecting it and moving on, pick up the item then TIME OUT, rewind, then just run past the collectable and your past life will collect it for you. Saving yourself ten seconds.
  • If you are fighting a boss, instead of spending sixty seconds to whittle its health down. Create a second life and beat it in thirty seconds, or a third or more to beat it even quicker.
Watch the Super TIME Force 101 trailer if you are confused.

Lives and Health
In a homage to Contra, you start with thirty lives to use. Each life starts with only one hit-point but you can get additional hit-points by recovering one of you former lives. Additional lives can also be found by picking up the bonus live pickup.

Pickups/Powerups
The pickups available in game count towards some of the Badges that are awarded after beating a level. Badges are used to unlock some additional characters.
Past Lives
Past lives only become available once you've caused a paradox where you killed or stopped an enemy before it killed one of your former lives. When you recover one of your past lives, you gain an additional hit-point for you current life and you also gain the past life's offensive or defensive abilities. You will lose the gained abilities and a hit-point if you are hit. You can have one additional abilities at a time and it will cycle out if you save an additional past life.

Bonus time pickup (CLOX)
Pick them up and add a small amount of time to your clock.

Bonus life pickup (GLORBS)
Pick them up and add one life to your total.

Slow-mo pickup (SHARDS)
Slows the game down to make it easier to dodge incoming bullets. If they are hit by a projectile they will activate automatically.​

Super Hardcore Mode
Unlocks after beating the game for the first time.
In Super Hardcore, you replay the same levels but you are limited to using only one version of a character at a time. To reuse the character you have to save them with a paradox. RIP spamming Jef.

Version Differences
Xbox One: "GameDVR feature to easily record/share your totally bonkers level replays."

bannerworldx5eq7.png

There are six main time periods in the game, each with individual levels.
"Progression is Mega Man-style. Pick any world in any order. Progress through levels in each world. Replay levels if you want for completionist / speed. Back out of a world and start a new one, etc."

198X
199X
1,000,000 BC
9600 BC

bannerforcewoiky.png

There are 16 characters in the game, each with two offensive/defensive abilities. You start out with three members of your team Aimy Mckillin, Jean Rambois and Shieldy Blockerson and you gain additional members by finding them in specific levels or unlocking them by receiving Badges that are based off collectables found.
The game uses one button for both abilities, Tap for the first and hold (for around a second) to charge the second ability. Once the second ability has charge the characters movement slows down.

Pro-Tip™: Holding one of the bumpers will lock the direction that the character is aiming in.

Aimy Mckillin
Animated card
tc2a03lzt.jpg
tc2blazss.jpg

Tap: Ricochet shot
Hold: Charge
Release: Wall piercing sniper shot​
Jean Rambois
Animated card
tc1ar5uff.jpg
tc1b3iutx.jpg

Tap: Rapid fire
Release: Bullet spray​
Shieldy Blockerson
Tap: Shield bash
Hold: Shield defense and Charge
Release: Drop a defensive Orb​

Cleo
Tap: Create a spinning shield of boomerangs
Release: Fire off the boomerangs that were spinning around you​
Dolphin Lungren
Tap: Shoot out sonar echo's from you nostrils
Release: Bullet spray​
Jef Leppard
Tap: Grenade lob
Release: Missile fire...
Rocket Jump :D
Lou Don Jim
Tap: Slash light sword
Release: Throw light sword​
Melanie Gibson
Tap: Shotgun blast
Release: Super Shotgun blast​
Merlin
Tap: Magic staff fire
Release: Fire a transforming Orb :3​
Squirty Harry
Tap: Revolver shot
Release: Fart out noxious gas. Shoot the gas to ignite.​
Zackasaurus
Tap: Mouth chomp
Release: Venom spit​

Five other characters are also available in the game that unlock after certain goals have been reached.
CDR. Repeatski - Unlocks when you start Dr. ∞
50% Glorbs - Squirty Harry
100% Glorbs - Da Vinci
50% Shards - Stash
100% Shards - Re-Bot
All of the Watchers - Looker

bannermusicg8jxv.png

Music for the game is made by 6955.
OST: Bandcamp/iTunes
Demo EP: Bandcamp
stfradio.com

(Some of these are from earlier in the games development.)

40wesdt.png
First Peek (2011) || TIME OUT! with Super TIME Force! (2012) || GAMEPLAY FROM FUTURE PAST FUTURE (2013)
56btsdz.png
SUPER TIME FORCE 101 (2013) || PREPARE TO DIE DIE DIE∞ (2014) || Sloooowww Motion || Release Trailer
7apspz.png
3005aswv.png
STFU PC edition Trailer
2009kskk.png
15fes4n.png
Rev3Games: 50 mins of gameplay with Kenneth Yeung

Additional Info,
Achievements: Steam, XBLA, Xbox One
Capy's Twitch channel
GDC talks: From Game Jam to Full Game - Super TIME Force & Other Shining Examples. Nathan Vella, 2013.
68o3s4u.png
Super Time Force: Solving the Time Travel Paradox. Kenneth Yeung , 2014.
GIFSANITY!!!
IGF 2012 entry

Reviews,
PC
Hardcore Gamer - 5/5

Xbox 360/One
A.V. Club
Destructoid - 9/10
Edge - 8/10
EGM - 8.5/10
Eurogamer - 8/10
Game Informer - 8.5/10
Game Reactor - 9/10
Game Trailers - 7.5/10
GamesRadar - 4/5
Gamespot - 8/10
Gaming Trend - 95/100
Hardcore Gamer - 5/5
IGN - 7.5/10
Joystiq - 3.5/5
OXM UK - 7/10
Polygon - 8.5/10
Shacknews - 7/10
US Gamer - 3.5/5
Video Gamer - 7/10
title4cjtj.png

B00TE

Day 1!

Can't wait to DIE. Gonna be trying to get through levels with no deaths after I learn 'em. Looks to be a fun challenge.

Gammacide

The art is amazing and the gameplay looks like SO much fun. Yeah, I can't wait for this (...on PC/PSN I should say. Thanks MS parity clause.)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Very nicely made OT man.

Been watching this game for so long man, call believe it was first shown in 2011. Really reminds me of how long I was waiting and watching for FEZ. The Capy guys have got to be so happy that it's finally coming out. Especially here on NeoGAF where they keep getting asked forever, hahaha.

And shoutouts to Denver the Last Dinosaur - theme song played in my head immediately the first time I saw Zackasaurus.

keit4

Banned
Day 1.

The art is amazing and the gameplay looks like SO much fun. Yeah, I can't wait for this (...on PC/PSN I should say. Thanks MS parity clause.)

The exclusivity has nothing to do with the parity clause... Read the OP, the game won a special prize in the IGF.

Ashtar

Hopefully the 360 version is up to snuff
Edit: did this OT change a lot, or what? anyay from what I gather no couch coop?

HOLY CRAP @ THIS OT. MAKES MY GAF-HEART GROW 4 NOTCHES.

ALSO HOLY CRAP @ THAT PHOTOSHOP JOB. I wasn't part of the TOJAM team but I kinda love that I am in the pic now. Everyone in the studio is dying laughing at it.

HOLY CRAP @ THIS OT. MAKES MY GAF-HEART GROW 4 NOTCHES.

ALSO HOLY CRAP @ THAT PHOTOSHOP JOB. I wasn't part of the TOJAM team but I kinda love that I am in the pic now. Everyone in the studio is dying laughing at it.

4 notches is a LOT of money.
Vert always does an awesome job in the XBLA thread.

This is real life, right? I'm not dreaming? The game is only a week out? It's real, I can actually play it? ZOOOOOOHHMMMGUUUUUHHHHH

Finally. 2014's GOTY?

antibolo

Banned
Haven't turned on my 360 in months, and haven't bought content on it for even longer.

But next week, oooooh yes.

DocSeuss

I've wanted this game for ages. Will attempt to buy as soon as I can find new work. Sooooo hyped.

CAPY has yet to make a single bad game. :D

Top Bottom