• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Putting your new Microsoft points to good use I see. /respect

8jmeB.png

also purchased: Virtual On OT, Skullgirls, Trials, Radiant Silvergun. basically, you sold it to the right guy

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Finally, my review is up.

Fez - 4/5 - G4TV

Good read, and surprisingly negative tone overall. Glad to see some people arent afraid to speak their mind. This second "game" within Fez really sounds intriguing. Made me very curious, but I guess I'll need to wait for a possible PC release too.

Fez - 4/5 - G4TV
Now, that review caught my interest and I'm really looking forward to trying my hand at the most cryptic parts. Much more so than the rest actually.

I obviously can't know whether I'll agree with you in the end but thank you for making so clearly that point about what you liked and disliked in the game. That made for an interesting read.

Feep

Banned
Great stuff, Feep! I'm really surprised to hear that you think the main game isn't very good. I guess I'll have to see for myself. And as for the second half of the game, I'm really excited to play something like that.
I was ready to give it a 3/5, honestly, but I couldn't deny how much fun I was having with all the crypto stuff. I'm sad I wasn't able to finish it off before my review was due...I'm still two cubes short...

It's weird; I'm used to a world where I can ask a community for help, or look up an online FAQ...but when you review a game, it's just you and your brain. I think, in this instance, it made it a lot of fun.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Best review I've read so far Feep, fair and not dripping in absolutely absurd hype. The puzzles are what will sell me on it ultimately because the platforming certainly doesnt look exhilirating, but they sound frustratingly obtuse than any masterwork of game design (requiring notes in the real world a clear example of that). Excited to dive into them though as I thought (bar the REALLY STUPID ones), some of the stars in Braid were genius game design.

I guess Fish took Blow's end gauntlet as a challenge for his own piece.

Empty

eurogamer review has me so pysched for tommorow morning. been so long since i first saw it on the 1up show, great to see it finally coming out.

bryehn

If someone who thinks Journey is meh tells me they like Fez, I would be impressed and interested.

I thought Journey was meh, we'll see about Fez in the morning I guess. I liked Crushed and Super Paper Mario, so the mechanic appeals to me, as does the presentation. If there's any sort of "touching" or "moving" element, it'll likely be lost on me though, I'm a pretty cynical dude that has plenty of real life emotional stimulation.

Aeana

I thought Journey was meh, we'll see about Fez in the morning I guess. I liked Crushed and Super Paper Mario, so the mechanic appeals to me, as does the presentation. If there's any sort of "touching" or "moving" element, it'll likely be lost on me though, I'm a pretty cynical dude that has plenty of real life emotional stimulation.

Phil hates Super Paper Mario going by some older posts of his, so I'm not expecting anything resembling what I actually like about SPM to be in Fez. We'll see though.

lol at review scores...

it's the current indy darling game. it used to be braid, which was a disaster.

my friend downloaded this, i'll have to at least give it my fair and honest opinion, but from playing countless games like it, it doesn't look anything special.

What? Why is it always the juniors....
Sorry to any sane juniors

ghibli99

I was ready to give it a 3/5, honestly, but I couldn't deny how much fun I was having with all the crypto stuff. I'm sad I wasn't able to finish it off before my review was due...I'm still two cubes short...

It's weird; I'm used to a world where I can ask a community for help, or look up an online FAQ...but when you review a game, it's just you and your brain. I think, in this instance, it made it a lot of fun.
If it wasn't for the crypto/language stuff, what would you have given it? I'm guessing that would have influenced even a 3/5 score... so, like a 2/5? I think a lot of people won't even care about the secondary stuff and would rather just play the core game.

Feep

Banned
If it wasn't for the crypto/language stuff, what would you have given it? I'm guessing that would have influenced even a 3/5 score... so, like a 2/5? I think a lot of people won't even care about the secondary stuff and would rather just play the core game.
I meant it would have been a 3/5 without the crypto stuff. It was still, like, enjoyable...but it felt as though my mind was on autopilot for 80%+ of the world's rooms.

Vire

Fez - 4/5 - G4TV

Feep, do you feel like it's necessary to get invested in all the symbology to enjoy the game? Personally, that aspect just doesn't sound that appealing to me. Getting out scrap sheets and planning sounds like work rather than fun...

Hm, this isn't what I was expecting at all. :/

Feep

Banned
Feep, do you feel like it's necessary to get invested in all the symbology to enjoy the game? Personally, that aspect just doesn't sound that appealing to me. Getting out scrap sheets and planning sounds like work rather than fun...

Hm, this isn't what I was expecting at all. :/
I was disappointed in the game after I "beat" it. Other reviewers seem to disagree. (shrug)

Cyrano

Waiting for PC. Looks... alright I guess. Not surprising that the simple mechanic would become boring if there are a ton of levels. Length is an issue in both directions. Too short or too long is an issue worth considering.

SparkTR

Is this out yet? XBLA search yields nothing. It's a pity this and Trials are so close to each other, might have to hold off getting this for a bit.

Waiting for PC. Looks... alright I guess. Not surprising that the simple mechanic would become boring if there are a ton of levels. Length is an issue in both directions. Too short or too long is an issue worth considering.

I want it on PC as well, but the developer seems to flip flop on the issue a lot.

March last year he said that a PC version would "make sense," but then in June he said:

"Fez is a console game, not a PC game," he states, emphatically. "It's made to be played with a controller, on a couch, on a Saturday morning. To me, that matters; that's part of the medium." I get so many comments shouting at me that I'm an idiot for not making a PC version. 'You'd make so much more money! Can't you see? Meatboy sold more on Steam!' Good for them. But this matters more to me than sales or revenue. It's a console game on a console. End of story."
http://www.nowgamer.com/features/950149/fez_interview_polytrons_phil_fish.html

Maybe when Steam's "Comfy Couch" mode releases he will put it on the PC, because apparently he cares more about where his customers play his game than having more people play his game.

I hate when developers get infected with pretentiousness, but whatever. It's his game and he can do whatever he wants with it, no matter how stupid his reasons are.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Maybe when Steam's "Comfy Couch" mode releases he will put it on the PC, because apparently he cares more about where his customers play his game than having more people play his game.

I know I am the minority, but my PC is hooked up in the lounge and I sit on my couch to surf the net, play games etc. That said, my 360 sits under the telly also so I am all catered for.

Looking forward to trying out the trial tomorrow (9am Pacific time is after my night shift). Fez actually slipped under my radar till I saw Eurogamer mention on Facebook they gave it 10/10.

Feep

Banned
Feep, just how much lobotomy do I need to perform on myself so that the puzzles seem more challenging?
For gold cubes? A lot.

For blue cubes (beyond like five of them)? NEGATIVE LOBOTOMY.

To my unending anger, I'm still missing two of them. I was almost SURE I solved one, but entering it yielded nothing...

I'll be happy when the more industrious of you catch up, so we can discuss SYMBOLS.

Buying this later today, been needing a new great platformer to ease my mind.

So for those that have played it, how does it stack up in overall quality/greatness compared to the other amazing XBLA platformers?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Here's the thing about Fez: every single person I know* that is playing it absolutely loves it. There are no dissenters - no devil's advocates. Just universal praise and a desire to play more and uncover more secrets.

That's not unheard of, but it is very, very rare. Even AAA games like Uncharted, Elder Scrolls... name your franchise... they all have haters.

But Fez is nothing but love, baby.

* I work in the industry and this is a lot of people.

Top Bottom