• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

amorbis

This game is a technical disaster.

Bought it tonight (14 cubes in) and have been booted back to the dashboard twice, lost all audio once, camera stuck and had to restart once, I can't believe it passed cert like this. The physics and controls make the block puzzles pretty much unplayable for me.

The level design and progression is nice but other than that I'm not digging it at all.

Are you playing on an Xbox 360 arcade console?

Rayven

aka surume
Had to turn it off after multiple attempts at the red sewer area...i used to be pretty good at platforming, but man.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Nope, 20gb (when they introduced hdmi). Have I been unlucky?
http://polytroncorporation.com/fez-issues
FEZ had more testing done in the past 24 hours by about TWENTY THOUSAND PEOPLE (!!) than it had in five years. So, as it happens, bugs popped up. Some pretty serious.

A small subset of older Xboxes with smaller hard drives can’t run the game at all. The game has trouble running off a USB stick. Crashes are occurring in specific levels or situations. In a rare situation (exiting the game from the “wall village” interiors), the save file becomes unusable. Nasty stuff.

We will be working internally and with Microsoft on those issues and let you know more later. It makes sense to issue a patch, but we don’t currently have an ETA on it.

If you have a game-breaking problem, let us know at support@fezgame.com so we can look into fixing it. Lots of these problems have simple workarounds, so we can help you out, and email is easier than tweets.

Sorry, and thanks for understanding!

And we’re thrilled to see that the vast majority of you are enjoying the game as it was meant to be.

Renaud

mrplaid

It looks like the only way to solve it is to start inputting sequences from the QR codes.

Well, poo. I'll just fiddle around with QR codes until I get it, then.

Also, I'm playing Fez on my first-gen Xbox. It's only booted me to the dashboard twice, so far.

Zomba13

I'm at Disney all day, for the end of ElecTRONica. Any updates on the monolith?

Two more people have got it and both can't say anything about it. Both do stuff involving games.

So yeah, feep, flaunt your indie-game-makingness and get us the secret of the monotlith.

mrplaid

Just finished up the game with 32 cubes. Things I learned from the credits (not spoilers): Paul Robertson (of Kings of Power 4 Billion Percent fame) worked on this game? Awesome! Also, Ted Woolsey works for Microsoft Game Studios now? I had no idea!

milesdm

Paul Robertson (of Kings of Power 4 Billion Percent fame) worked on this game?

Yep! Pretty sure he's done the majority of animations for the game, at least all the character sprites look like his work. Pleasantly surprised to see Adam Saltsman as a main credit too.

I think he did all of the animals. : )

Something's telling me I've read at some point that was Adam Saltsman's work. I may be wrong though!

The other animator (Annabelle Kennedy) at least did the seagulls -- that's what's left in of hers really.

jet1911

This game is really good. I'm just exploring the world, finding cubes along the way and I'm having a blast. Nice work Polytron. :)

Zia

Something's telling me I've read at some point that was Adam Saltzman's work. I may be wrong though!

The other animator (Annabelle Kennedy) at least did the seagulls. That's all that's left in really.

Yeah, might've had him and Adam Saltsman confused.

Croc

Banned
I fucking love the little turtles that spin around inside their shells. They are tooooo cute. The little animals running around definitely add a lot to the atmosphere of the game for me.

I fucking love the little turtles that spin around inside their shells. They are tooooo cute. The little animals running around definitely add a lot to the atmosphere of the game for me.

The cats are so goddamn adorable, but they freeze when you stare at them in first person.

Alright. Started it up even though I was afraid of all the problems people have been talking about. So far, I haven't had a single problem, so that's awesome.

Enjoying the game, but I feel a little overwhelmed like I'm missing shit and making notes in my head of shit I need to come back to check out further later.

Cranzor

I have figured out everything by myself so far but I cannot figure this one out.

There are some blocks with letters on them. I deciphered the hint and it said "What is my name? The first half is what it is, the second half is what made it."

Anybody figure this out?

Was about 78% in, when the game crashed on me. Now every time I try to load my save it crashes immediately.

I won't be restarting until some sort of patch is out, and I'll certainly be thinking twice before I buy another of the developer's games in the future.

Zomba13

I have figured out everything by myself so far but I cannot figure this one out.

There are some blocks with letters on them. I deciphered the hint and it said "What is my name? The first half is what it is, the second half is what made it."

Anybody figure this out?

One of the hardest puzzles in the game. I won't spoil it for you by telling you the answer only that the answer should be 'entered' sideways left to right. So say the first letter was I, you'd put it on the left side but sideways so it's -- and then the next letter 'below' it (really to the right but you'd read it like its going down). Also I think it needs to be spaced out so _letter_letter_letter etc

That's probably a really bad explanation but.... yeah.

Cranzor

One of the hardest puzzles in the game. I won't spoil it for you by telling you the answer only that the answer should be 'entered' sideways left to right. So say the first letter was I, you'd put it on the left side but sideways so it's -- and then the next letter 'below' it (really to the right but you'd read it like its going down). Also I think it needs to be spaced out so _letter_letter_letter etc

That's probably a really bad explanation but.... yeah.

Hmm, okay. That makes sense. I'll keep thinking of that riddle for a few days, maybe it'll come to me. Some of these puzzles are pretty ridiculous. I heard that his language isn't translated in non-English versions of the game, if that makes sense. That alone makes the puzzle impossible, which is kind of weird.

Zomba13

Hmm, okay. That makes sense. I'll keep thinking of that riddle for a few days, maybe it'll come to me. Some of these puzzles are pretty ridiculous. I heard that his language isn't translated in non-English versions of the game, if that makes sense. That alone makes the puzzle impossible, which is kind of weird.

Also, the owls offer big hints for that puzzle if you can remember what they say or find out. You might not get it straight away but if you google it should help and be pretty easy.

And yeah, that is pretty weird. Like, even in languages that use the English alphabet it would still be impossible unless they know English.

Ok I've decided to give Fez another shot. However, I'm hopelessly stuck if anyone would care to lend me a hand!

On top of the light tower, there's a cube bit. How do I get to it? It also seems to be the last one on my map unless I'm missing something. I have 22 cubes and 2 fragments. Are one of the rooms that are marked secret the key to advancing?

Ridley327

Can anyone help me with the secret in
the room below the water in the main warp area
?

The burned map you find is key to the first part of this puzzle, as it gives you the inputs as well as where you need to be standing in that room to do it. In order to actually see where you need to stand, you'll need to have beaten the game and started a new game+ to have the first-person ability unlocked. Once you have that, go back to that room and follow the directions on the burned map and you'll be done with the first part of the puzzle.

It's the second part that everyone is trying to figure out right now.

Waiting on a clock... waiting on a clock...

Otherwise there's nothing left until
the 64 cube door, besides the second half of the monolith

It wasn't until New Game+ that I discovered the sewer area, I thought it was weird how the warps were always missing a side. I like that it was more of a platformer, but I also saw one or two places where if I couldn't fly, I think I would've been stuck. (Like rising the water only part way, then jumping down.) The game could really use a "Restart Room" pause menu option.

I loved the area that was
sort of a C64 send-up, with the platforms timed to the music, although I could have done without the limited "torch vision."
And while I appreciate the effect of
the "glitched" stage, the effect really screws with your eyes a little too much. I'd be scared of it potentially triggering seizures, too. Kind of surprised the game doesn't start with a big photosensitivity warning, actually.

Edit: I have to leave to pick someone up in about 50 minutes. I think I'm actually going to miss at least one of the cubes, maybe both. Frustration!

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
anyone plug in a usb keyboard and
hit del during the computer boot up section?

Croc

Banned
I loved the area that was
sort of a C64 send-up, with the platforms timed to the music, although I could have done without the limited "torch vision."
And while I appreciate the effect of
the "glitched" stage, the effect really screws with your eyes a little too much. I'd be scared of it potentially triggering seizures, too. Kind of surprised the game doesn't start with a big photosensitivity warning, actually.

My biggest problem with that second area you mention is that it slowed my game down significantly. I had a bunch of trouble making jumps in there cause the screen would stutter a bunch.

cjdunn

Had to turn it off after multiple attempts at the red sewer area...i used to be pretty good at platforming, but man.

Agreed. That soured my experience a bit. But then I went complete OCD for two hours and made it through. Immediately afterward, the
music
level and the
"tile glitch"
level mostly made up for it.

So is it this year's Skyrim now? I wonder if they're gonna be able to pass it. Also puts shame to the whole bureaucracy of Microsoft certification when the game passes and doesn't work.

Holy shit. The
hidden room behind the waterfall
was fuck awesome. The music and everything was fucking sweet. Coolest part of the game so far.

anyone plug in a usb keyboard and
hit del during the computer boot up section?

No? The fuck does it do? The secrets in this game are insane.

VanillaPMP

Neo Member
Can anyone provide a hint for the tomb with a ton of doors in the graveyard area?
I think it has to do with the treasure maps, but I am missing two that I would need

saunderez

Can anyone provide a hint for the tomb with a ton of doors in the graveyard area?
I think it has to do with the treasure maps, but I am missing two that I would need

You need all 4 maps. There is a certain order the doors have to be entered in and the maps contain all the information you need

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
For someone who's been casually reading this thread, can someone break down the technical issues with this game without spoilers? Should I avoid buying it now because there's something that may hinder my progress indefinitely, delete my save or anything to that degree?

For someone who's been casually reading this thread, can someone break down the technical issues with this game without spoilers? Should I avoid buying it now because there's something that may hinder my progress indefinitely, delete my save or anything to that degree?

Only problems I've had are some FPS drops, which I'm guessing will never be fixed.

Others have had save files stop working or get booted back the dashboard when the game is loading over and over.

Others have had no problems, outside of the dips I mentioned which I assume everyone has.

I'd just wait for a patch which should be out fairly quickly I'd assume.

Daeda

Some crashes to desktop, slowdowns when playing for a long time, most serious of all: In a rare situation (exiting the game from the “wall village” interiors), the save file becomes unusable

The game basically auto-saves every new area you enter and every collectable you get. So really, the crash to desktop problem is a minor annoyance. The slowdown can also be refixed by reboot. The save corruptiohn did not occur to me.

There's also some people who seem unable to boot the game. Again, havent had that.

If everyone has the level of glitches I had, Im gonna go ahead and say that they should play it anyway. They're really ot that annoying and its a great game that eerybody should play IMO.

Top Bottom