• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

ChryZ

Amplified Gamers podcast interviewed Rich Vreeland (Disasterpeace, the composer of the Fez soundtrack). Pretty good listen, check it out:

aglogofinal.jpg

MP3 Direct Download | RSS | iTunes

.nimrod

Yep, it's definitely on there, i checked from all sides.
Ah well, i'll explore some other areas then. I just hope it's not game breaking.

S1kkZ

bought the game and really loved it, until it became unplayble for me. right now (4-5 hours in, ng+), the game crashes after 15-30 seconds (after i loaded my savegame) and is unplayable. i tried the usual stuff (re-download, clear cache) but nothing worked so far.

any word on a release of a patch for this? i bought it on release day, but haven't touched it due to all of the reported problems. i'm waiting until a patch is released so i can play it uninterrupted...

S1kkZ

any word on a release of a patch for this? i bought it on release day, but haven't touched it due to all of the reported problems. i'm waiting until a patch is released so i can play it uninterrupted...

on their blog, they said they are currently working on it. but they havent given a specific date.

I personally haven't had much problems and what's reported isn't gamebreaking, so you should give it a shot.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm actually holding off because of minor framerate issues and an even more minor growing/shrinking textbox issue. I feel like waiting in order to experience the game without my stupid niggles is worthwhile.

Marco1

its gamebreaking for me and some other people (that reported on the fez blog). the game is great and worth the money, but i would wait for the patch.

I agree. Also the stuttering takes you out of it so it will be great to see if they can resolve that.

ampere

Woah, how did I miss hearing about this game?

That Paul Robertson art looks great. I don't have an Xbox to play it right now, but I definitely want to.

spekkeh

Banned
Game's starting to annoy the crap out of me. I heard there was a room where you leaned what the language was all about in order to solve the more baffling puzzles, but it must be the last room I haven't been to, because I've crossed the entire map six times now and the obtuseness is grating.

Game's starting to annoy the crap out of me. I heard there was a room where you leaned what the language was all about in order to solve the more baffling puzzles, but it must be the last room I haven't been to, because I've crossed the entire map six times now and the obtuseness is grating.

The quick brown fox...

Fox, dog.

NZNova

Just got started on this game, went in completely blind. Seems pretty cool so far, I have
2 cubes and 2 anticubes
so far. I'm not sure if that's a spoiler or not.

And I'm done! Aside from the
heart room and the chance that there is a mystery to it, perhaps "kokoromi" can be converted to inputs somehow
, I do believe I'm 100%
209.4%
. I'll admit, I solved everything myself except the
monolith
, which I gave up on and looked online. If anyone ever figures out if there is a true solution to it, not just brute force, I'd be curious to know.

I adored every second of Fez. I got more satisfaction out of those 800 mspoints, than most $60 games.

d00d3n

Impressions:

The perspective shifting is brilliant. I like how the shifting is animated. I like how distorting physical reality is used in puzzles. I like the simplicity of the basic controls which puts the focus entirely on perspective shifting.

I feel completely lost when I play the game. I just want to solve the puzzles in front of me, but that is almost impossible with all the mid puzzle branching paths. Pacing is a mess. Was the game not playtested at all? The confusing map system does not help this at all.

Draft

Per the map there's only one spot left with a cube:
the lighthouse; I can't get that one because it's too high.
Do I need to start solving puzzles to proceed? The door in
big head village
needs 4 more cubes.

Per the map there's only one spot left with a cube:
the lighthouse; I can't get that one because it's too high.
Do I need to start solving puzzles to proceed? The door in
big head village
needs 4 more cubes.

There is a
door
inside the lighthouse, if I remember right, which takes you to the top.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Well I got my final cube,
from the clock, at 6:30 in the damn morning today, on a Sunday. Had to wait all week for it too since I got on too late last Sunday.

Now to beat the game again and do the last two things I would not have spent the time to do on my own, like
deciphering the language to solve that one puzzle, and the the monolith - I had never heard of that fox & dog saying, and it would have been cool to have known it to catch that and get the alphabet in one go, so my next choice would have had to been trying to find common words and such - I know I would have been able to do so, so I don't feel bad on skipping out, and as for the monolith, it was brute-forced and was worked on internet-wide, so I sure as hell don't feel bad about that. Everything else I got on my own except for the infinite room which I explained how I sorta-figured out on my own.

For those who are unaware.

A pangram, is a phrase that contains all the letters of the English alphabet. The most commonly known pangram, is "The/A quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog."

tumblr_lkyr46qeuv1qcb5fko1_250.gif

Which according to Wikipedia, dates back to 1885.

Most font sample programs, including Windows's own viewer, uses the sentence.

I first heard the saying when I was 6 or 7, it was also one of the earliest English sentences I knew, since I'm not a native speaker.

jgkspsx

I bought it last night and got the first (?) five cubes and two anticubes. It's running better than the demo did, strangely. I hope I don't get the glitches - I don't think, given what we know if their programming team, that all of them are going to get fixed.

mhayze

I'm definitely late to this party, for a variety of reasons. My Xbox Live Gold membership had lapsed, and I haven't played anything on my 360 in a while. I tried dusting it off (literally) and turning it on and nearly had a heart attach when it wouldn't turn on (just a loose power cable - phew). After 3! updates that each required a restart at different points, and having to lookup my Xbox Live password, I finally bought Fez - and it was well worth it. My whole Xbox dashboard looks totally different too! And I'd forgotten how loud the fans in the beast are.

The first thought I had while playing this game is, "I wonder if this could have been made on the original SNES?" - maybe with the help of the SuperFX? It is very, very cool, and treads the fine line between challenge and a lack of frustration (so far). I'm really glad I decided to disregard the drama and lack of sense that Fish displayed, and bought this game - one socially maladroit designer does not a game ruin, or something.

I've been avoiding spoilers, but I'm somewhat alarmed at what I've seen outside of the spoiler tags (while peeking between my fingers) - it sounds like the puzzles grow increasingly obscure and non-logical towards the end of the game. The lack of the arbitrary puzzle is exactly what I have enjoyed so far, but hopefully this turns out to be a non-issue. Looking forward to the rest of this game.

This game makes me happy in a spot in my brain I had forgotten even existed.
Found 32 cubes finally. Got the sunglasses. Figured out the Tetrinos. Going back through in the plus mode, crawling around for clues and cubes.
Today was a good day

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You know what, I have a terrible feeling that I've glitched the game for myself. I've been playing the game like crazy since my rocky start with it last week and I love it, crazy game. The problem is,
I have 33 anti cubes somehow, and I cannot for the life of me find the final remaining cube shard to finish my 32nd golden cube. The map is completely blank, every room is gold, no more question marks, nada. I can only speculate that I maybe shouldnt have 33 anticubes and that I've broken the game somehow.
Kinda sad really, I was having a great time and I'm so close to the end, shame to end it on a duff note like that.

Zomba13

You know what, I have a terrible feeling that I've glitched the game for myself. I've been playing the game like crazy since my rocky start with it last week and I love it, crazy game. The problem is,
I have 33 anti cubes somehow, and I cannot for the life of me find the final remaining cube shard to finish my 32nd golden cube. The map is completely blank, every room is gold, no more question marks, nada. I can only speculate that I maybe shouldnt have 33 anticubes and that I've broken the game somehow.
Kinda sad really, I was having a great time and I'm so close to the end, shame to end it on a duff note like that.

DO NOT FINISH THAT OTHER CUBE
You will be locked out of the ending. The 33rd cube is a glitch.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
DO NOT FINISH THAT OTHER CUBE
You will be locked out of the ending. The 33rd cube is a glitch.

hmmm, i don't think I can finish it, so that's not gonna be a problem! So was the ending
the 'heart' room? I was expecting some more psychedelic awesomeness :( and it locked me out of two acheivements, for getting all collectibles. But I think I have everything. Damn.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
hmmm, i don't think I can finish it, so that's not gonna be a problem! So was the ending
the 'heart' room? I was expecting some more psychedelic awesomeness :( and it locked me out of two acheivements, for getting all collectibles. But I think I have everything. Damn.
Should unlock with
32/32 cubes, the 4 artefacts and all the treasure maps

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
FEZ was completed 100% some hours ago, no cube glitch luckily, even though I was making sure to look out for it, but it never occurred to find an extra cube.

Definitely enjoyed it, and can't wait to see how that one thing that no one managed to find the proper solution for will be answered.

FEZ was completed 100% some hours ago, no cube glitch luckily, even though I was making sure to look out for it, but it never occurred to find an extra cube.

Definitely enjoyed it, and can't wait to see how that one thing that no one managed to find the proper solution for will be answered.

Nobody answered that yet? Crazy!

Tawpgun

Need 2 more anti-cubes. Both of which are the day and 2 day clock tower ones :(

For the record, yes I cheated to solve some of the harder pen and paper puzzles.

I did not feel like translating everything by hand. I can appreciate the complexity and community effort though. One of my favorite games. A pleasure to play. Wish more games did things like this. The QR codes and anything else that requires extra player participation is really cool.

spekkeh

Banned
Just finished it the first time (didn't know anti-cubes counted as cubes too). Amazing!

Glad I'm not an epileptic though, or I'd be a drooling mess right now.

Don't think I'm going to 100+% it, some of the more difficult ones seem to much of a hassle.

Tawpgun

Just finished it the first time (didn't know anti-cubes counted as cubes too). Amazing!

Glad I'm not an epileptic though, or I'd be a drooling mess right now.

Don't think I'm going to 100+% it, some of the more difficult ones seem to much of a hassle.

I just did it and its worth it. Just do what I do and look at a guide. Some site called xblafans or something has one.

Anyway dat ending was so good. Loved this game.

Finished this, really enjoyed it despite the bugs.
It won't ever let me see the leaderboards (just says 'Connect to Xbox Live' although I'm connected).
I ended up cheating for the clock puzzle,
since the slow one was active at 5AM for some reason.
I also had to look up the tuning fork solutions,
since it was only ever using the right-hand rumble motor.

The 'final' end was a bit disappointing, but the first ending was awesome.

For one reason or another, in the
gameboy/sewer
area, I found a
QR code.

Inputting what comes out of it gives me nothing. Not a beep, not fuck all. Room still shows a question mark.

Kind of annoying, up to
31 regular / 24 anti-cubes
and I hope this isn't some sort of glitch. The problem with this thing, crashing and general bugginess aside, is I can't tell when I'm getting the puzzle wrong and when the game is just broken.

Similar deal in the
folding pattern room
. Had the correct solution three times, going in and out of the room, before the thing decided to give it to me.

Archon473

I'm envious of you Xbox guys. I've got a PS3 so I've no way to play this. A game where you're placed in the middle of things totally lost and encouraged to discover every nook and cranny the developers built into the world; that idea is very intriguing. I suppose Myst would be similar but that game doesn't directly hide anything (And for those who don't know, Jonathan Blow is making a Myst-like game called The Witness that's going to be riddled with... well, riddles and puzzles).

I was watching the AVGN episode of Milon's Secret Castle and the major complaint of that episode is how that game's progression is baffling, and key items and doors are hidden. The opposite would be Metroid where it's obvious "I can't jump this high," "I cannot open this door" so you know to search for an alternate route or an item.

Are there any games on PSN or on older consoles (Genesis/SNES) sharing Fez's emphasis on puzzles and discovery? 2D would be preferred with or without combat. I really wish I could just play Fez, but at least I'll get to check it out when my friend buys it.

Natiko

Banned
Just fully completed the game finally. The only thing I ended up looking up was the second half of one of the heart puzzles. From the sounds of it nobody got that one legitimately which is pretty strange. I'm still kind of lost on some of the story, anyone care to enlighten me?

I've been playing this for about a week now and I've come to the conlusion I would never, ever pass a MENSA test. I'm in new game plus right now with about 26 cubes and 8 or 9 anti-cubes. It's a great game, but I'm kind of siding with that one guy from 8-4 play when he said it was kind of too much. I'm an idiot I guess, though, because the whole cryptography thing is way over my head. That's fine in itself. Really the thing that makes me feel dunmb is the confusing metroid style map. I have no sense of direction though.

NinjaBoiX

I've got to be honest, I'm really not feeling this game at all. I find it dull, disorienting and thoroughly frustrating. I get that it's meant to be a metroidvania puzzle game, and therefore inherently "testing" so to speak, but I feel like I'm fumbling through the game with little to no guidance.

How do I read the map? How do I tell if I'm going in the right direction? Where does it tell me how many cubes are available in each area?

I'll plug away for another hour or so, but as it stands, I'm struggling. It's gorgeous, has some nice music, and a clever mechanic, but man, it ain't half boring!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've got to be honest, I'm really not feeling this game at all. I find it dull, disorienting and thoroughly frustrating. I get that it's meant to be a metroidvania puzzle game, and therefore inherently "testing" so to speak, but I feel like I'm fumbling through the game with little to no guidance.

How do I read the map? How do I tell if I'm going in the right direction? Where does it tell me how many cubes are available in each area?

I'll plug away for another hour or so, but as it stands, I'm struggling. It's gorgeous, has some nice music, and a clever mechanic, but man, it ain't half boring!

Ha! I posted the exact same thing when I started the game too, but fairly shortly afterwards it got its hooks into me properly. The map is really hard to work out, but you don't need to worry about it just yet, just keep going forwards, you'll soon learn how the structure of the levels works. Basically there are 4 main hub worlds, all connected by the cube warp gates (early on in the game you may only have one side of this filled out, but more will come with time). In a world, if you go through one of the one-way portals you'll always end up back at the hub for that world.

Also, if you look at the world you can figure out which door goes where. Lots of areas (especially hubs) will have levels branching off of them. It took me ages to realise, but if you look carefully, you can see the next level in the far background most of the time, making choosing the right door a lot easier. In a hub area and want to go to the windmill area? Just rotate the level until you can see the desired level in the bg, and then find the door. It's really neat when you get used to it.

Top Bottom