• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF Versus not going to be at TGS

From Twitter (and probably from GAF prior...), I claim no credit.

original.jpg
This better be in the OT.

Einhander

Square Enix is a terrible company when it comes to game development and management of their teams. I agree with some others that they should transfer development over to PS4, at this point. They'd be able to make more use out of the next generation hardware, at least.

7Th

Well, I could understand why SE is hauling ass to salvage XIV.

Their attention to XIII is just baffling when considering its divisiveness, and the lower sales of the sequel no one wanted, now getting a sequel that they probably just started to make a few months ago in the form of a game type SE has not made in years (and the last action-ish game they made was... Dirge of Cerberus).

Kingdom Hearts?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Versus info for 2012.

Wada: The buildings look great and awesome.

Fans: Anything else you want to share?

Wada: LOLNOPE GTFO

Yep.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Square Enix in the Seventh Generation:

- The studio that develops the good Kingdom Hearts games have been assigned a game which has probably been done for a while, but in order to spread their games out, SE keeps pushing it back in order to release games featuring their menstruating protagonist, Lightning. Oh, a Kingdom Hearts won't be made until said game is finally out.

- From the time FFv13 was announced to the present time, we had many interesting events in the FF series occur: a stupid rhythm game, a broken, alpha version of an MMO, an apology for said MMO, a trilogy of games featuring Square's #1 menstruating protagonist, a reboot of said MMO, two mediocre fighting games for the psp, and a Japanese-exclusive psp FF game.

EDIT:

- Only positive things to come out of SE in recent time was Mistwalker and Agni's Philosophy - a cool-looking tech demo / cutscene for a game that probably doesn't exist.

You're also forgetting ports.

FFV Advance
FFVI Advance
FFIV DS
FFIV PSP
FFI PSP
FFII PSP
FFIII DS
FFIII PSP
FFI iOS
FFII iOS
FFIII iOS
FFI Android
FFIII Android
FFVII PC (again)

And probably some others I'm forgetting.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This reminded me... When I was in Tokyo last time, I remember taking the elevator to the Square-development-floor. I tried sneaking into one of the rooms but the woman at the counter stopped me :( I was trying to find some Versus XIII footage... if I'd only known that there were no such things as "new Versus XIII-footage". Neither then, nor now.

i wouldn't be surprised if this became a movie

super conspiracy theoryy time

they're gonna use all their cg assets for versus xii and run them, downgraded in real time on their new engine on ps4/nextbox

Whats up with some ps3 exclusives? Agent announced never heard of again.

The last guardian is probably going for ps4 and the status of versus is just laughable right now.

I love my ps3 but damn this is some mighty bullshit right here. Cancel them all and we may play in peace :p

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Are you happy, FF13 fans? Go suck on lightning's ball or something.

wait. sorry. she doesn't have balls.

Yes, I'm happy. Couldn't care less about Versus XIII right now and I'm getting a new FFXIII game.

Meanwhile, you suffer.

Defuser

FUCK! I knew this stupid Lightning saga would siphon Versus XIII resources again.

Why are they still churning out Lightning games when nobody ask for?
Why aren't they concentrating on VersusXIII when it has to a good chance to redeem themselves?
Why is Toriyama and Wada keep fucking Nomura over?

MechaX

Kingdom Hearts?

When Jeremy Parish talks about "cover based mechanics" and "skills on each face button," I don't think of an Action RPG like Kingdom Hearts, I think more of a game like Dragon's Dogma (or for cover based, even something like The Last Story) where it is more action than RPG.

But hey, let us just assume that Kingdom Hearts is the barometer here (even though I have no idea how that is going to pan out when considering that they still want to to implement the Paradigm Shift in some capacity), I don't think we need to speculate from which team SE is going to get that manpower out of.

StuBurns

Banned
When Jeremy Parish talks about "cover based mechanics" and "skills on each face button," I don't think of an Action RPG like Kingdom Hearts, I think more of a game like Dragon's Dogma where it is more action than otherwise.

But hey, let us just assume that Kingdom Hearts is the barometer here (even though I have no idea how that is going to pan out when considering that they still want to to implement the Paradigm Shift in some capacity), I don't think we need to speculate from which team SE is going to get that manpower out of.
In like two months, there will be three hundred XIV staff moving on to something.

MechaX

In like two months, there will be three hundred XIV staff moving on to something.

If the reports of this game's development starting a month ago are correct, and they want this game out by 2013, we most likely know what that "something" is going to be for the most part.

Square Enix in the Seventh Generation:

- The studio that develops the good Kingdom Hearts games have been assigned a game which has probably been done for a while, but in order to spread their games out, SE keeps pushing it back in order to release games featuring their menstruating protagonist, Lightning. Oh, a Kingdom Hearts won't be made until said game is finally out.

- From the time FFv13 was announced to the present time, we had many interesting events in the FF series occur: a stupid rhythm game, a broken, alpha version of an MMO, an apology for said MMO, a trilogy of games featuring Square's #1 menstruating protagonist, a reboot of said MMO, two mediocre fighting games for the psp, and a Japanese-exclusive psp FF game.

EDIT:

- Only positive things to come out of SE in recent time was Mistwalker and Agni's Philosophy - a cool-looking tech demo / cutscene for a game that probably doesn't exist.
What the hell does menstruation have to do with Lightning?

StuBurns

Banned
FFXIV expansion packs.
Some of them no doubt. The remaking of XIV in the last two years sucked everything the studio had, once it hits content complete, some of those staff will be moved around to other projects though, almost certainly the significant majority.

It's interesting the differences between Square Enix Japan and Square Enix Eidos. SE Eidos has become one of the best publishers in this generation: Deus Ex Human Revolution, Just Cause 2 and Sleeping Dogs to name three recent examples of top tier games they've published in the last three years. On the other hand, Square Enix Japan can be summarised in a gif:
iWxBU5awNJ0mc.gif

They've been listening to what their fanbase wants and then proceed to do the opposite, essentually. Were it not for Eidos' successes I'd wager they would be in severe financial trouble now.

StuBurns

Banned
They've been listening to what their fanbase wants and then proceed to do the opposite, essentually. Were it not for Eidos' successes I'd wager they would be in severe financial trouble now.
Seriously? No. SE Japan makes way way more cash than the other arms.

Lol Square Enix is a joke. If this game doesn't turn out to be the biggest and best rpg ever made them there is going to be major disappointment. There's literally no other way this can go after the years of hype and trailers.

Mikey Jr.

I'm curious, why is everyone so excited about Versus? What exactly have they shown that would get people so hyped that it has elevated to near-mythic levels on the level of Half-Life 3? All I've seen is a single screenshot of some Yakuza-themed men in a city.
All you've seen is a screenshot and your asking why?

Top Bottom