• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF Versus not going to be at TGS

StuBurns

Banned
It's all about potential for me.

Versus has better art direction than any Final Fantasy firstly. It looks stunning. The combat looks pretty basic for Kingdom Hearts, but I love Kingdom Hearts, and BbS has better combat than any Final Fantasy, so I have faith Versus could too. Versus is reportedly open world, or at least more open. It has cars you can drive, and airships to ride in.

It could suck, any game could, but it is the most appealing Final Fantasy pitch they've ever come up with for me.

Uh, what? My point was that if they had to completely redesign that aspect, chances are they ran into a lot of other pretty big troubles and that's why it's been taking so long. Because they've been constantly redesigning aspects that they don't think worked.

Nomura redesigned the overworld because he thought the first version looked dumb.

Unless they're modeling every square inch of every city, inside and out, I really don't see why this game should take so long.

Thoraxes

Versus has better art direction than any Final Fantasy firstly. It looks stunning. The combat looks pretty basic for Kingdom Hearts, but I love Kingdom Hearts, and BbS has better combat than any Final Fantasy, so I have faith Versus could too. Versus is reportedly open world, or at least more open. It has cars you can drive, and airships to ride in.

It could suck, any game could, but it is the most appealing Final Fantasy pitch they've ever come up with for me.

This is a very reasonable and well-grounded answer. I can see why you see potential in the game, but at the same time you acknowledge that this potential shown could go either direction.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

Indeed. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Pretty much this

Hindle

Banned
The art and the gameplay, hell the whole game could have been changed by now. It's been years since we saw anything.

Bladenic

Yeah theres no excuse for why this game, if truly in development all this time, is taking this long. On the other hand, it's probably been in full development for a very small amount of time. Nomura's been involved with tons of other projects since this game has been announced. Plus there was the team helping on FFXIII. However this is not an excuse. This whole announcing shit as soon as they have a 3 minute GC video has got to stop. But I digress.

I'm going to keep on laughing at SE, Nomura, this game, and the people who blindly follow it and get hyped over nothing. However, if and when the game comes out, I will gladly play it and if I love it, then great. If I dont, oh well.

My thoughts exactly.

indeed. To add to it, I also kind of like the story set up...

nasos_333

My top FF art is in FF9 and there is nothing in FF13 series to match that at all

So, that is debatable

Generally i find the art direction in FF13 series the worst so far, so for me is the exact opposite, since i am more into the medieval/epic style

Bravely Default on the other hand is right on the spot of what i consider amazing art direction

I do want to see the open world side and new combat in FF13vs though, those seem rather interesting for the series, but generally i find the new Agnes concept far closer to what i wanted to see from FF

A return to FF9 like art would be my top priority by miles

Nomura redesigned the overworld because he thought the first version looked dumb.

Unless they're modeling every square inch of every city, inside and out, I really don't see why this game should take so long.

Again, missing my point. If he thought that looked dumb, how many other things did he think looked dumb?

Like I said before, games don't tend to go into development hell because there's very little work being done on them, they go into development hell because a bunch of things don't 'work', so they're completely redesigned. And considering how ambitious Versus is, it should come as no surprise that this has happened. XII and XIII seemed to have pretty similar issues but Square Enix ultimately made them rush their games out.

Go_Ly_Dow

Yes.

I just really want to see more of the cities that have been inspired by real world areas.

We've seen parts of the Tokyo inspired city, but they've also mentioned a city inspired by Venice and I'm dying to see it.

Because of the Lightning Saga, Versus continues to lag behind.

Because Versus is lagging begind, we still havent had a Kingdom Hearts 3.

Fuck you Toriyama.

Fuck you Toriyama.

The team that did Re:Chain of Memories, Birth By Sleep, and Dream Drop Distance is working on KH3 now, IIRC.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
https://twitter.com/shar_online/status/241875192857640961

EDIT - Not a official statement !

So disappointing :|

68780_ol8b1y.gif

Synless

You forgot that it is the most mature of all the Final Fantasy games too. It is the theme and tone FF12 should have stuck with. That is what personally makes it appealing to me.

Despite the awesome looking backdrop, the story will probably center around stupid crystals and magic shit.

I already don't like how the game has monsters in it. It was a lot cooler in the old CG trailers when the enemies were armed soldiers and seemingly evil people were mafia guys in suits.

Way more interesting premise for an FF game, but I think now Versus XIII will be your typical FF theme but set in Tokyo and Italy or whatever.

Yes.

The team that did Re:Chain of Memories, Birth By Sleep, and Dream Drop Distance is working on KH3 now, IIRC.
I just remember the excuses Nomura would make,

"oh hey, yknow, the kh team is busy with versus, so we're making a lot of handheld games to tide you over"

"oh hey, because the XIII team sucks shit, we're going to help with development and put versus on hold"

On the one hand, the team that did BbS have made the best kh game, but I dunno if theyre ready for a large scale console game

Then again, the versus team havent even managed to do that so maybe I shouldnt worry

I don't think anything's been said about the Osaka team after KH3D aside from "They're working on other projects now."

Wouldn't be surprised if they got shifted to XIV or something.

Even if it eventually ships, Versus has to be the biggest clusterfuck in the history of Japanese game development. After all, even XIV didn't tarnish a completely unrelated franchise.

Riposte

It is kind of amazing they can't find it in themselves to show a 30 second clip. That is all it would take. It could be a cutscene... it could be a CG.

Fuck you Toriyama.

Yeah, because Square Enix only have one development team. The Toriyama hate is really becoming conspiracy theory level shit. I'm no much of a fan of his writing but come the hell on.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Fuck you Toriyama.

Maybe Versus XIII changed into Lightning Returns now but SE don't want to tell anyone.

If this is actually true then SE is even more impossibly out-of-touch than I thought. What the hell's the point of leading fans on with a game that people are actually interested in, when you're just gonna repeatedly shove it to the back-burner over and over in favor of Toriyama's crap projects?

If that's their MO, then they should just cancel Versus and be what they seem to really wanna be for some ungodly reason: Toriyama-soft.

At one point earlier this year, Nomura seemed to suggest that there would be information or a trailer of some sorts 'soon.' Wtf is happening at SE?

2014 release date at the earliest.

Just 8 years after announcement. No big deal right SE.

Yeah no, fuck you guys. And fuck the XIII games. Should have stayed one game.

def sim

I'm betting they're focusing on multiplatform once more info comes out. I can't imagine why'd they want to limit sales with development like this.

ryan13ts

This game is as good as dead. They should just come out and say it instead of holding people's hopes up that it will actually come out.

EVOL 100%

I have never been more glad to a person who doesn't play Square games anymore.

It's been 6-7 years since it's announcement, right? Jesus Christ, I haven't even discovered masturbation back then.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Maybe Versus XIII changed into Lightning Returns now but SE don't want to tell anyone.
How can someone arrive at that conclusion by thinking logically? Just before the announcement they revealed some bits about Versus and told people to wait, and even showed a cool sketch of Noctis.

Kesagiri

"We can't show it, it's now FF XIII-2 time"

"We can't show it, it's now Kingdom hearts 3D time"

"We can't show it, it's now FF XIII-3 time"

"We can't show it, it's now FF XIV expansion time"

"We can't show it, it's now FF XV time"

...ad infinitum

That's going to be a while. I seriously doubt they'll wait this long. Surely they'll have a gap somewhere in 2014, right?

Top Bottom