• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF Versus not going to be at TGS

D-e-f-

Banned
Is this considered the new Duke Nukem Forever already?

It is already to me. The difference being, I actually expect this to turn into a good game.

It's so sad that the first trailer played a part in pushing me over the edge to buy a PS3 eventually ...

2014 release date at the earliest.

Just 8 years after announcement. No big deal right SE.

Yeah no, fuck you guys. And fuck the XIII games. Should have stayed one game.

SE's persistency to keep forcing FF13 on us is astounding. I understand the sequels on FF7 and FF10, those games were amazing.

Riposte

I think if any game hurt Versus, it was XIV not the XIII series. The former seems like a bigger drain on the company. They canceled projects for it if I recall correctly.

Yes....releasing a game that no one wanted/asked for is clearly more important than releasing the game that's been highly anticipated for 6 plus years.

And I can't believe those jokes about XIII-3 coming out before Versus XIII turned out to be factual D:

YOU GUYS JINXED IT! IT'S YOUR FAULT!

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Yes....releasing a game that no one wanted/asked for is clearly more important than releasing the game that's been highly anticipated for 6 plus years.

And I can't believe those jokes about XIII-3 coming out before Versus XIII turned out to be factual D:

YOU GUYS JINXED IT! IT'S YOUR FAULT!
It'll be worth the weight

DanielJr82

councilofelrond.jpg

hhm :( I was hoping to see some nice Versus XIII action at TGS.

SE guy 1: "Ok, so we can have an amazing TGS this year. We need to:

• Show substantial Versus & FFXHD info.
  • A short, minimal teaser for KHIII, & FFVIIremake.
  • Small FFXV/Agni's Philosophy teaser.
  • Small DQXI teaser. CONFIREMD OFFLINE.
  • Maybe also lightly tease other projects like Xengoears 2/remake, or Star Ocean V with intent to make it at least as good as SO2, etc.

I think people will be really receptive to it, and it'll rebuild goodwill with a huge chunk of our fanbase that currently feel ready to move on in disappointment."

SE guy 2: "...yeah, we're gonna stick to Toriyama and MMOs."

kevm3

This game just doesn't exist in my mind. I don't want to hear any more Square Enix lies. It's pretty much PS3 vaporware like the agent and possibly the last guardian.

Shinta

Banned
I think if any game hurt Versus, it was XIV not the XIII series. The former seems like a bigger drain on the company. They canceled projects for it if I recall correctly.

And if there's any game they don't want Versus taking the spotlight away from, it's XIV. XI was the most profitable FF ever, and they want XIV to follow it up. After people get XIV on PS3 in their hands, they'll probably start the Versus train.

It's much later than I expected, but if you think about it, it makes perfect sense. And who knows, maybe I'm wrong and we'll see something at TGS anyway.

I honestly don't get why people freak out so much. Wada confirmed twice just yesterday that the game is coming along well. They'll release it when it's ready. They can't show anything to the public that isn't literally perfect, since everyone has such insane expectations.

This is what rebuilding the FF brand looks like. Wada fucked it up big time with XIV. He knows he damaged the brand and released it before it was done. He even said yesterday he wants to show Versus when it makes people say "Now THAT looks like Final Fantasy." The only reason it was announced super early was to help Sony with the struggling, $600 PS3.

And meanwhile, their development overall as a company seems to be radically improved. XIII-2 in 1.5 years, XIV: ARR in 2 years, LR:XIII in less than 2 years. And this is before Luminous, which makes that even easier apparently.

People are totally schizophrenic about this. I've read just as many comments complaining about the slow dev time for Versus XIII today, as I read comments bitching about the "rushed" dev time for LR: XIII. Kind of hilarious.

Japan and this generation....Sigh...

As much as I could go on for another couple years in this generation I want to get the new one started already so Japan can get there shit together with the lessons learned from this gen.

Game is hot, people want it and they can't even get the fucking thing out. Failure company. You show the game to FF fans and they all like it.

/annoyed.

EulaCapra

I had to google Versus and Fabula Nova Crystallis to see why this is funny.

Since E3 2006 ay? This is very, very, funny.

the common thread between all the people who actually like FF13 is what is rapidly killing the final fantasy for everyone else, there was once a mass appeal to the series, but with each new iteration its slipping away. Its unfortunate that this has to be the one final fantasy they decide to make a female the main character of, i loathe the character and design, something like Nariko from heavenly sword defecates all over lightning.

It will seems weird to you but i've learn to accept that each numbered FF is different ...
Seriously ..the number of difference between FF7-FF8-FF9-FF10 are so numerous i can't list them all ..

Based on this , i treat each game based on his own strenghts and weakness .. not with " this as better before " or anything else ...

FF13 had a good battle system and actual challenges in post games content
FF13 is an incredibly beautifull game and before anyone says "corridors" please look at what everyone else is doing "aka" the same thing .. The only rpg this gen that isn't full of corridors in Star ocean 4 and this game was way too huge for his own good.
FF13 had a very good soundtrack as well ..
Sure everything isn't perfect ... and the game had plenty of problems ..but so was ff8 , so was ff9 , so was ff10 ...
In fact ff13 didn't do worse in shaking things up that the previous games.

The rest is a matter of taste and bad voice acting (OMG vanille in english) and weird event direction that fall back on way too many stéréotypes and forced drama ...
Yeah the game fall totally on many points but is correctly done enough for enjoyment.

As for your nariko statement i strongly disagree ..but this is a matter of taste ..and contrary to many people ..i know the difference between my tastes and a game flaw...

the common thread between all the people who actually like FF13 is what is rapidly killing the final fantasy for everyone else, there was once a mass appeal to the series, but with each new iteration its slipping away. Its unfortunate that this has to be the one final fantasy they decide to make a female the main character of, i loathe the character and design, something like Nariko from heavenly sword defecates all over lightning.

Lightning's FOREVER-PMS-MODE outlook gets old real quick, but at least I can take her seriously. Nariko on the other hand looks like she was put together by a hormonal 13 year old boy.

Diablos54

FF13 is an incredibly beautifull game and before anyone says "corridors" please look at what everyone else is doing "aka" the same thing .. The only rpg this gen that isn't full of corridors in Star ocean 4 and this game was way too huge for his own good.
XENOBLADE! Which is better than any console game S-E have put out this gen.

Kisaya

It's kinda sad that when I got my PS3 I thought "well this is not so bad, I could play Versus at least!"

What's really unfortunate though is all the hate this game is going to get if it does come out. It's definitely not going to live up to the hype and the wait everyone has gone through.

True and i agree ..but an exception doesn't make the rule ...
Also xenoblade was made on wii.

Please don't write skyrim , fallout or those Wrpgs without any characterisation into them, next please.

Jesus christ, thank you! Also, even if Xenoblade didn't exist (I hate to even imagine it) what, so if JRPGs are collectively craptacular this gen, that somehow justifies terrible design in a game?

volpone

Banned
I'm surprised Nomura hasn't walked out on Square-Enix by this point. The fact that the guy can be involved in a design, producing and/or directing capacity on titles like TWEWY, Dissidia, Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance while development of this game has been ongoing certainly lends to the idea that management has been dicking the guy around. Kitase gives Toriyama the budget and workforce while Nomura reminisces about the Gooch (don't quote me on this).

this fucking tech demo tied tetsuya nomura for the entire console generation. We could have had Kingdom Hearts 3 and FF VII remake by now instead god damn it

Top Bottom