• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF16 is the first true next gen game

Hugare

then you aren't looking that hard. The difference iin the small details is huge, right down to the skin, rocks, and sharpness of the backgrounds.

The days of huge leaps in graphical fidelity are over, now it's about performance, fast loading, and small details. People expecting the IQ jump of PS2 to PS3 are being unreasonable. I'm far more enthused about Quality of Life improvements than I am about graphics. I have a PC with 4090 and laptop with a 4080, obviously the idea that " only next Gen can do this" is ridiculous, but you're using low res screenshots to make an argument that there are no improvements. Look at both of these scenes on a 4k screen from the original source (the games), instead of randomly grabbed screenshots, and the visual difference would be much bigger.

Just how much more blur is used in these FFXV shots should tell you everything you need to know. XVI isn't using extreme blur to smooth out transitions from one texture to the next. and like I said, look at the texture of the beast clive is fighting, which is just a regular monster, and then look at the textures on the last shot. Even in screen grabs, the texture improvements are massive.

I'm completely convinced a lot of people don't know what they are looking for when comparing graphical fidelity. Also, I think too many people don't see the optometrist enough (because that shit is expensive, and the decline of sight happens so slowly people don't notice, not because I think people are idiots or anything).
I didnt say it didnt have any improvements. Read again.

As I said on my post: FF XVI obviously look better. I just dont see a generational leap.

It's like a game running at max settings instead of low settings.

Demons Souls is linear, so apples and oranges and all that, but I look at that and I say "yup, this is next gen"

FF XVI is not obvious (visualy). There are last gen games that look better.

oI1ip8Q.jpg

qguZX2M.jpg

DbpsUwd.jpg
rDDJY4Z.jpg

Yeah really similar to FFXV.

Tom Delonge Wtf GIF

Plus you're cherry picking the worst quality possible for FFXVI and the windows edition for FFXV.

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Again, I said that XVI looks better. Just not a whole generation better, imo.

And whats the matter about comparing it to the Windows Edition? If it cant keep up with the PC version of a last gen game, you are proving my point

Your screens prove my point: it doesnt look like the best games in terms of visual from last gen

Horizon FW looks better and its a cross gen game

Last edited:
Horizo nは素晴らしく見えますが、高品質のアセットが混在しています.

最後の写真はよくわかりませんが、いい感じです。

新しいゲームプレイの映像は、スクリーンショットと同様に古いビルドのものです。

そのバーティクル スライスは、リベンジ トレーラーの前に作成されました。

リベンジ トレーラーは古いビルドになりました。
Why don't the XR glasses exist yet to where I can look at this and it instantly translates for my eyes?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
it means it could run on last gen with only a few adjustments like lower res textures and no RT.

but that is true for literally every game that's out at the moment.
so let me get this straight: you genuinely think MS flight simulator could run on a PS4 let alone an Xbox One with lower res textures.

LMAO what is this nonsense?

The game is visually unimpressive outside of the pre-rendered scenes that have been shown. If you tell me there isn’t a huge difference between the Odin Vs. Bahamut/Shiva Vs. Titan scenes and everything else, you’re a liar.

Also:

BnN15SQ.jpg
iz6Ax1f.jpg

They wanna act like they’re too good to have CG cutscenes from a fellow studio in the same company. Lol.

Last edited:

Fbh

Yes that shit was lengthy... But at least you were required to take the decision to do that and you also have plenty of other meaningful other options to chose from...

Nowadays you just mash the "play" button(ff7 remake even has a auto play for gods sake WTF) to watch the "sick combos bruhhh".

I think people tend to look at older JRPG's with rose tinted glasses. Turned based combat in most of them wasn't some deeply tactical affair forcing you to come up with complex strategies for each new encounter.

Games like OG FF7 were very easy, you can get through most of the game using the exact same abilities in the exact same order every fight, maybe changing up things a bit during boss encounters to take advantage of elemental weaknesses. Only the optional "weapon" bosses required some actual planning and strategy.

Sure the combat in 7remake can grow button mashy and repetitive too but at least since it's in real time you've still got to time your defend/dodges, time your attacks, time your heals, switch around characters to take advantage of their abilities and ranges, adapt to different attack patters ,etc.

There's many things I thought the 7 Remake could have done better, but combat is IMO one area where it's undboubtly much better than the original.

Horizo nは素晴らしく見えますが、高品質のアセットが混在しています.

最後の写真はよくわかりませんが、いい感じです。

新しいゲームプレイの映像は、スクリーンショットと同様に古いビルドのものです。

そのバーティクル スライスは、リベンジ トレーラーの前に作成されました。

リベンジ トレーラーは古いビルドになりました。
vegeta-dragonballsuper.gif

Dutchy

It's not caring about your opinion specifically, it's about correcting obvious falsehoods that the devs have spoken about at length. I'm not trying to attack you, I just corrected you because others deserve to know the truth if they are interested in the game. And i'm not just pointing out you, there's a bunch of it in this thread, including from the OP with his "True Next Gen" nonsense.

But even then, 10 was mediocre, 12 was good but had issues, 13 and 15 were just awful games. Now they finally take the game in a different direction, and some fans are pretending it's awful when they haven't even played it. And with one of the best narrative directors in the business. I understand FFXIV isn't for everyone, it's an incredible time sink, but the job he did with that game is absolutely phenomenal, so yeah, Yoshi P deserves the freedom to do what he feels is best for a dying franchise that's been propped up by it's past success on SNES/PSX, instead of it's present. This is the first attempt to change that.

FF7R proved that moving on from turn based was the right move, and so was was refining it further. Not to mention, there's a separate mode for those who don't want true action combat.
So I was wrong to say that the game went from turn based to whatever it is now? And you need that long of a post to tell me? Alright bud.

Variahunter

I didnt say it didnt have any improvements. Read again.

As I said on my post: FF XVI obviously look better. I just dont see a generational leap.

It's like a game running at max settings instead of low settings.

Demons Souls is linear, so apples and oranges and all that, but I look at that and I say "yup, this is next gen"

FF XVI is not obvious (visualy). There are last gen games that look better.

Again, I said that XVI looks better. Just not a whole generation better, imo.

And whats the matter about comparing it to the Windows Edition? If it cant keep up with the PC version of a last gen game, you are proving my point

Your screens prove my point: it doesnt look like the best games in terms of visual from last gen

Horizon FW looks better and its a cross gen game
Yeah Horizon... you mean fog simulator for everything 10 meters in front of you aside from the desert because there's like nothing to display here ? Let's not even compare how sluggish and cinematic the gameplay of Horizon is compared to FFXVI.
Proves my point too.

If you want to compare games from last gen with new gen, you don't pick PC vs console. Simple fact. Even with your cherry picking, FFXV is far simpler in everything (geometry, textures, lighting, shadows, post processing).

Well let's pick a realistic PC screen of FFXV where we actually see textures and everything :

ffxv-pc-windows-03.jpg

Lighting looks flat, textures on the ground are flat and low res, LOD is very last gen (well no fog to hide it like in Horizon), foliage is low res, rocks come directly from the PS3 era (behind Ignis), literally the only thing that more or less compete is the characters and ennemy, and even those have very low res textures.

Now let's see a screen given by Square Enix for the promotion of the PS4 version :

ffxv-atr-30092016-02.jpg

Do I really need to explain the gap ? You know that resolution is really heavy on ressources.

I mean, look at some screens of The Witcher 3 on PC and on consoles, it looks nothing alike.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Beautiful, but it won't matter if everything else sucks. I know I'm pre judging it, but I gave myself that right after I sacrificed more than a hundred hours of my precious time on FFXII. I insisted on finishing it because I paid full price and was a crazy fan of FF prior to that. I just couldnt believe how shit it was. Same for XIII. I'm not touching another Final Fantasy in this life time without some serious considerations.

Variahunter

So First true next gen game:
676894656.jpg

Ugly last gen garbage:
EZjDyQn.jpg

Vomit inducing mid budet game from 2016
maxresdefault.jpg
That FFXVI screenshot comes from the first batch of the promotionnal screens of FFXVI, released right after the first trailer in September 2020 ? As Yoshida said, it was just to showcase the new FF and the graphics were not finalized and showing actual gameplay, not some bullshit you get on reveal that will get downgraded.

There's a comparison from reveal in 2020 to 2022 :

Keep in mind that the game has been polished even more in the latest trailers.

Fbh

That FFXVI screenshot comes from the first batch of the promotionnal screens of FFXVI, released right after the first trailer in September 2020 ? As Yoshida said, it was just to showcase the new FF and the graphics were not finalized and showing actual gameplay, not some bullshit you get on reveal that will get downgraded.

I was just using the screenshot the person I quoted was using.
I'll be glad to see newer screenshots were it actually looks better than Horizon
47DnhE9.jpg

HShwRdX.jpg

Yes Garuda gameplay is old build revenge is newer but not most recent build. Trees and grass do not move in older build does after revenge builds. Ifrit fight trees burst into fire when close.

It's as next gen as that pointless intro fight in FFXIII-2.

Having things fly around with some flash and odd camera angles doesn't make the game next gen, it makes it so people question what the actually gameplay quality will be and whether all the flash camera cuts were there to hide something.

Celcius

°Temp. member
LMAO what is this nonsense?

The game is visually unimpressive outside of the pre-rendered scenes that have been shown. If you tell me there isn’t a huge difference between the Odin Vs. Bahamut/Shiva Vs. Titan scenes and everything else, you’re a liar.

Also:

BnN15SQ.jpg
iz6Ax1f.jpg

They wanna act like they’re too good to have CG cutscenes from a fellow studio in the same company. Lol.
The FF14 CG looks like a generation ahead of FF16

I been burned by this franchise too many times since the PS2 era to get excited over Final Fantasy pre-release. I've enjoyed a few of them for what they were, but they're mid at best.

10 was the last great single player FF.

Hoppa

I was prepared to shit on whatever was in the original post but that looks really good! Never going to play it though

lyan

Bro it’s like 90% a cutscene
To be fair I think in general the cutscene department was rather lackluster in the ps4/1x gen when compared to ps3/360, especially long action packed ones. Like Kratos vs Baldur stood out when compared to other games last gen and many liked it.

Looks great but I wouldn't say it is much better than anything we have seen so far. Also with Square Enix of late I wouldn't trust the game to not have poor performance or be below 1080p. I want to be wrong.

UnNamed

Banned
Call me crazy but I think Kingsglaive is not completely out of reach

considering Nvidia already had a demo running in realtime in 2017

Last edited:

OCASM

Banned

One character doing nothing in a small static environment, doable.

Kingslaive is way more than that, though.

Zuzu

I’m very interested to find out what the resolution will be in performance mode. I hope it’s not 1080p

The “Agni’s Philosophy” tech demo is nearly 11 years old and FFXVI doesn’t even come close to it. Kingsglaive is absolutely completely out-of-reach.

Which, personally, I think is fine. FF doesn’t have to be about being the most technically impressive series out there.

But what pisses me off about XVI is the subdued color scheme, dull art direction (basically feels like The Last Remnant 2.0, and TLR’s world was like a poor man’s Ivalice, which I never found to be visually interesting in any of its games), and the team not using their in-house CGI studio to create some CGI cinematics.

Last edited:
Man. A lot of hyperbole on both sides in this thread.
FFXVI is my most anticipated game, but to pretend a Kaiju battle is some big thing that couldn’t be done last generation is ridiculous.

But the people pretending this is just a Kaiju Battle game are also being ridiculous. It’s a minor part of the game, and seemingly just a part of Story beats. They are part of the game’s narrative, not a huge part of its gameplay.

I got FF for my birthday in 1989. It’s one of my favourite series. I haven’t been this excited for an FF since the PSX days. Yoshi P is the best storyteller in gaming right now, and that’s what’s important to me in an FF game.
Can you blame anyone when 70% of marketing footage has consisted of these Kaiju battles (and 10% being the scene of Joshua turning into Phoenix)?

Surely you just mean best storyteller for an MMO.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Visuals are boring, very dull.
The main issue is the story are characters are awful.
You got to be fucking kidding me!? This looks absolutely gorgeous to me! Also how can you judge story when the game is not even out yet, we barely know noting from actual story.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh
Top Bottom