• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFX: Worth spending the time or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply put, is Final Fantasy X worth investing into it the number of hours required to finish the game?

Also, what about FFX-2 (yes, I know it's not a great game and is zomgtehblasphemiez, but I heard it was fun)?

Johnas

I just played through it last month (completely, that is) for the first time, it was fun but I really don't care to replay it. It has a fairly good story (imo) but the game is easy.

I have no desire to play FFX-2, although I do own it. I might check it out during a drought or something, but general comments have turned me off of it.

Slight hijack, I've seen something about Penance, is he only in the International version of the game?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Yes, but on one condition. The battles are actually quite tactically interesting and well-balanced, PROVIDED you don't do sidequests and level up more than you have to. When you're at a normal level of power, the combat requires planning, tactical thinking, and a bit of improvisation (especially for some of the harder bosses later on). When you get extra summons, special weapons, and more levels than you need, the combat becomes typical FF tedium.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Actually X-2 is fantastic and one of my favorite games. Best version of the ATB in a FF game and a great use of the class system. It gets a lot of crap because most gamers are easily ashamed of themselves.
FFX is also really good, but gets ragged on a lot for terrible VA (It's not that bad though) and being linear, which on occasion is a nice diversion in my RPGs.
Suggesting FFXII over FFX-2 is like saying "I think you should have less fun."

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's absolutely worth it.

You should dig up the "Summer of FF" thread. There was a lot of great FFX discussion going on there.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
P90 said:
Titus laughs at that. ;)

I actually didn't think that Tidus laugh scene was all that bad. I thought it was SUPPOSED to be awkward and stiff, because they were basically forcing themselves to laugh.

Mau ®

Don't listen to the HATARZ!!!

FFX is a masterpiece. Go play it! It's the best FF so far.

FFX-2 is cool too, the storyline is not really amazing but the gameplay is.

RevenantKioku said:
Actually X-2 is fantastic and one of my favorite games. Best version of the ATB in a FF game and a great use of the class system. It gets a lot of crap because most gamers are easily ashamed of themselves.
FFX is also really good, but gets ragged on a lot for terrible VA (It's not that bad though) and being linear, which on occasion is a nice diversion in my RPGs.
great post, revenant... especially the ffxii part.

Chairman Yang said:
I actually didn't think that Tidus laugh scene was all that bad. I thought it was SUPPOSED to be awkward and stiff, because they were basically forcing themselves to laugh.

I'm glad someone else gets this. And it's one scene out of a 40+ hour game.

I'd rather have no fun at all than deal with one quarter of the things I've seen in FFX-2.

It's a great game yet imo. It's also still one of the best looking PS2 titles as well; the scenery is so breath-taking. Despite hating most of the characters and setting theme, I still enjoyed the game as a whole, and I loved the gameplay.

P90

Chairman Yang said:

I understood that. That still does not change the damage done to my ears.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I liked the characters, aside from Khimari. ****ing hate khimari.

FF10 has the most badass character in any ff yet. Auron bitches! plus <3 rikku.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
brandonh83 said:
I'd rather have no fun at all than deal with one quarter of the things I've seen in FFX-2.
Sucks to be you. :*(

P90

Error2k4 said:

+1 for Auron.

Scenester

Tom the Enchanter said:
Simply put, is Final Fantasy X worth investing into it the number of hours required to finish the game?

Also, what about FFX-2 (yes, I know it's not a great game and is zomgtehblasphemiez, but I heard it was fun)?

I finished FFX and I really regret it... I was young and I didnt have anything better to play. It's not a terrible game but compared to VII, VIII and IX its horrible.

Tepid voice acting (not appaling but not really that good either), no world map, lame location and character design, some nice music but some shit, flat two dimensional characters, no character development and the story just isnt really that good.

It still stands up well as far as RPGs go though, Its just a real disappointment after its PS1 counterparts.

Error2k4 said:

Heheh, Kimahri was my favorite, and one of the only two that I loved (Auron being the other). He's the only one I mastered the Sphere Grid on.

I've got a preference for demihumans, goblinoids, etc.

Bebpo

Banned
FFX is worth buying an import PS2 for. Of course you should play it.

FFX-2 is awesome as well, just a different kind of awesome.

RevenantKioku

brandonh83 said:
You may think so, but I sure don't. :)
We are our worst enemies, and our best friends.
I'm no chicken, you're a turkey!
KyanMehwulfe said:
I've got a preference for demihumans, goblinoids, etc.
Pervert.

jeremy1456

FFX is simplistic even when you don't do the side stuff.

It's also a pretty boring game, and the sphere grid is absolutely horrendous.

The story is quite good, and the soundtrack is exceptional.

Basically if you are an HD Era-type gamer who is more interested in aesthetics I'd go with FFX. If you actually are looking for a good role playing game, look elsewhere.

For the record, X-2 is all kinds of awesome.

RevenantKioku said:
So hot............. :lol
Boar%20Boss.jpg

If you are the kind of player that feels they must get all the special weapons/powers, it can get frustrating, as it has some of the most ridiculously tedious sidequests I've ever encountered.

If you aren't hung up on all that, sure, play it. It's good. Solid story and art, good system, the sphere grid adds a lot of strategy, especially if you don't level grind.

Between the two, I'd have to go with the less-popular X-2. I liked the system, and I liked the girls.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I very genuinely dislike FFX. I have it, I've gotten maybe 80-90% of the way through the game, and I can't even convince myself to bother finishing it despite accepting that I was going to skip the annoying side stuff.

FFX was good. I think it started off great, storywise. The game isnt very long(main quest) and I hated those Trials. Alot of minigames, but the Blitzball was just too complicated and boring. It didnt have the appeal of card games, in say FF8, which was easy to pickup and could be very challenging. It still looks great, cutscenes are very good despite its age. You could just wait until FF12 comes out. It's more dated and the story could end up being better.

demi

Tom the Enchanter said:

Yes, it can be finished rather quickly and doesn't require much dedication.

X-2 on the other hand - no. It's horrible.

RevenantKioku

brandonh83 said:
Actually you're cool, I just don't like FFX-2. :lol
Well, as long as I'm cool, hate FFX-2 all you want!
It's still better than Jesus.
sevenchaos said:
One of the best. Really? I know its not one of the worst but its no where near one of the best.
Sure is. But this gen has a lot of solid RPGs so it starts to get wavery with opinions and all that when you do pointless shit like ranking.

Victrix

*beard*
Great battle system, rest is crap

Shooting Star on a sandworm makes it worth playing

SPICEMUSTFLOW.jpg

X-2 is only to be 'played' with a box of kleenex and some lube

Alternately you can play X-2 karaoke with your plushies, and dance around the room holding your fisher price microphone and hugging your doe-eyed anime pillow

lineage2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom