• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXI expansion, "Seekers of Adoulin" Geomancer/Rune Fencer! Uematsu Concert tonight!

zlatko

Banned
So right now my plan is to go back July 4th week and grind fuck ass hard.

Going to start on the GAF server, BUT here's my one main issue with going back to FFXI:

Is it still impossible to exist in this game without gil?

I would be going from scratch and I know the costs of useful gear was absurd during the days I played. If you didn't buy, then you wasted tons of hours to farm NM's for gear, or wasted tons of hours trying to make money/have a chance at money.

Basically, can I get from level 1 to say, 50 with most jobs without worrying about money anymore? Since I'll do Geomancer, I'm thinking of getting 50 with Ninja, BLM, WHM, RDM, SCH, and I don't know what else. I WANT to do Geo/Nin in parties, or even attempt to solo like that.

Ugh, just realized how expensive the Utsu scrolls are. FML. :/

A new notorious monster has appeared!

obCd3.jpg

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Zlat, I just came back 3 weeks ago. I mained 75 RDM only for 7 years, quit for 2, came back to find that RDM isn't useful anymore.

The game has gotten crazy easy to get XP and merits.

Here's an example. I went from 37 BLM to 49 BLM, in 2 hours. I went from 49 BLM to 99 in 8 hours stretched over 2 days (4 hours each day). During that same period, I also got 60 merits.

The game got more fun in my eyes. You can basically lvl naked because people don't care, then worry about getting Empyrean Armor after you're done lvlin whatever job you choose.

Aeana

It sounds like the game where you had to have the Absolute Best Gear even at like level 30, even if it cost 17 million gil, no longer exists. That sounds pretty good to me.

Allard

It sounds like the game where you had to have the Absolute Best Gear even at like level 30, even if it cost 17 million gil, no longer exists. That sounds pretty good to me.

Scroll prices are still an issue though. But armor wise yeah, most the best gear comes from participating in the content or doing magian trials. Wasn't till recently that we basically ONLY had the ability to get good gear for our level unless we did the content (With exception to the cruor gear at lvl 77-78 which can be sold on the AH, rediculously cheap these days and out fits your character nicely for early on till you get better stuff), they added some crafting stuff (including increasing the level cap to 120 for crafts) to even out some levels but voidwatch/abyssea/magian is still the main and in some cases only place to get gear past lvl 75. Which is part of the other reason I am excited for this expansion... new content types to get new gear in this game, tired of the reskins of old content or trying to port new content (voidwatch) in old areas ; ;.

Aeana

Scroll prices are still an issue though. But armor wise yeah, most the best gear comes from participating in the content or doing magian trials. Wasn't till recently that we basically ONLY had the ability to get good gear for our level unless we did the content (With exception to the cruor gear at lvl 77-78 which can be sold on the AH, rediculously cheap these days and out fits your character nicely for early on till you get better stuff), they added some crafting stuff (including increasing the level cap to 120 for crafts) to even out some levels but voidwatch/abyssea/magian is still the main and in some cases only place to get gear past lvl 75. Which is part of the other reason I am excited for this expansion... new content types to get new gear in this game, tired of the reskins of old content or trying to port new content (voidwatch) in old areas ; ;.
I don't know what most of that is, since the last time I seriously played the game was at ToAU launch. I came back briefly for WoG, but I didn't do much. I remember being surprised at that time, though, how much prices had gone down since SE cracked down on gil selling. IIRC, vermillion cloak was 17 million gil when I quit during ToAU and was down to 100k, which blew my mind. The prices really went down a ton.

But yeah, now I'm hearing that people care even less ever since level sync was introduced, which is music to my ears.

Seigyoku

But yeah, now I'm hearing that people care even less ever since level sync was introduced, which is music to my ears.

With the advent of GoV parties, I exp in a swimsuit. Or fishing gear. And swap to a wedding dress when I hit 20.

No one cares. I really should just sell the rest of my low-level gear lol.

I've never played FFXI, but I hear good things. I've been playing a lot of the series lately and I'm thinking of giving it a try. Is it still worth getting into or would it be smarter to wait for XIV 2.0?

Allard

I've never played FFXI, but I hear good things. I've been playing a lot of the series lately and I'm thinking of giving it a try. Is it still worth getting into or would it be smarter to wait for XIV 2.0?

Don't go into this game alone lol. You can do lots of content now solo, but lvl 1-75 is going to be very overwhelming as a newb with all the stuff you can do and little to guide you on exactly 'what' you should be doing. There is an in game tutorial that takes you roughly to lvl 10, but outside of that you are sent on your own to figure stuff out. Maybe the gaf shell might be busier with the new expansion announced and you can get help there on what to do, where to go, but even after leaving for a year and just keeping 'tabs' through the main site I know I am going to have a hard time getting back into the swing of things without some help XD. Thankfully I got an alt I play on and dual box so I can do 'light party' stuff solo. But if you can get by that being overwhelmed with trying to figure out what to do, there is a TON of back log content, a lot of which still has some use here and there, if nothing else the story sequences is more then enough to play it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
FFXI is about playing with people you know. I've been with a group of people since the game launched and it's the only reason I continue to play. We created one of the top linkshells on our server and were routinely first on our server to kill big tough mobs before they became easier with the level increases (we were first on server to kill JoL, Vrtra, and Jorgumand). I would have given up long ago without friends to do these things with.

Sgblues

Having recently come out of FFXI(back in April) I dunno if I would even want to go back, most of my friends have quit and those still in don't even play more than an hour so it would be kinda rough unless I could get into a good ls or something with good friends.

But yeah this does look interesting but with ffxiv 2.0 on the horizon I just feel conflicted.

ithorien

FFXI is about playing with people you know. I've been with a group of people since the game launched and it's the only reason I continue to play. We created one of the top linkshells on our server and were routinely first on our server to kill big tough mobs before they became easier with the level increases (we were first on server to kill JoL, Vrtra, and Jorgumand). I would have given up long ago without friends to do these things with.

^ Gospel. The only reason I keep quitting is friends leaving before I do. Just recently a friend left for lolTor, otherwise I would probably keep playing.

Boss Man

IIRC, vermillion cloak was 17 million gil when I quit during ToAU and was down to 100k, which blew my mind. The prices really went down a ton.
True that. I remember NQ Scorpion Harness hitting 20 million gil at one crazy peak, and then I remember playing later and seeing it at like 15k. Crazy.

suzu

The only things I really miss since I've stopped playing FFXI years ago are the storylines and characters.

Oh and some of the people I played with, I guess, haha.

Allard

remember when NQ ele staves were going for 4mil+ each :X

must resist...
those artworks are amazing

Maybe its because they had just been so damn secretive about past concept stuff for FFXI expansions but just seeing some of the environment concept arts get me excited, then I see what it turns into and suddenly I realize why they don't show the concept work often XD. The game only shows a shallow representation of the art that inspired it.

Forkball

Wait, XI? You'd think they would want more people to come to XIV.

Anyways, FF series by far has the coolest diversity of classes. I want another FFT game.

Aeana

I figured a new expansion was coming as soon as I read this post on the official forum. Seemed like a major change, felt like something that would be coming with an expansion to me.

Allard

I know I'm probably the only one here who thinks this.. But I'm sad this isn't getting a US PS2 release..

It could get a DD release. Technically the ultimate edition package/download release didn't get released on the NA PS2 either despite getting released in Japan, but that didn't stop PS2 users from being able to buy the add-ons digitally and it downloading directly to it.

B-Dex

Tempted to go back. I never did get a high lvl corsair even though I think their whole mythos and look is awesome.....

Why does SE do this to me :(

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I hate SE!! time to come back and divide my time with XI and XIV

Atolm

They've added tons of stuff since I left back in September '09, but I'm still looking foward for FFXIV. I'm done with XI.

Riposte

I really want to play through the new storyline but the thought of 1) leveling up and getting gear a few more levels after cap (no interest) 2) playing through a bunch of low level missions without level cap where the devs are not even trying to challenge us (especially now the game is pretty fucking stupid) is so painful I'm instantly turned off. However the feeling of wanting to complete more missions is almost equally powerful, so I'm in turmoil.

Kyari

Aw man, now I'm going to have to go through the hastle of importing an expansion again. they never got their crap figured out with regional keys and such I don't think :(

I was always coming back once they add the new summon sometime this year (if thats still coming this year)...... didn't plan to stay but now I might. :D

Will never be as hardcore as I once was but fun is fun no matter how often or little you actually spend with it!

Really strange and surprising news that XI is getting an expansion so many years later...
Is this subtle admittance by SE that XI is the more competent game compared to XIV?

Regrettably, I've never played XI. I wanted to when it was on PS2, but didn't. Strangely I did buy a Network Adapter and played tons of SSX3, Ratchet UYA/Deadlocked, Amplitude, etc. online...but not FFXI. Hearing about all the horror stories of people getting addicted to it (and the amount of games I played during those years that I may not have experienced if I played FFXI), perhaps it was for the better.

I was always amazed by the CG art before XI came out (remember the one with the giant rock "arc" during sunset overlooking a huge landscape?), as well as the music I heard. I at least want to take a run through the areas of the game and just taking everything in as a "nomad", possibly the PC version.

Wonder if this new expansion will add new Achievements to the Xbox 360 version. Not like I'd be completing that even if I wanted to, the average time it takes to do all of that is around 2-3 years.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
FFXI is simply too addictive.

The thought of going back although tempting, scares the crap out of me.

I figured a new expansion was coming as soon as I read this post on the official forum. Seemed like a major change, felt like something that would be coming with an expansion to me.

Oh shit, for me this is the biggest news so far. The interface is the biggest gripe I've ever had with FFXI, and if they can actually make it play better I might just get sucked in.

sky

That trailer.... was terrible, lolz.

Looking forward to seeing more about this though. Although I don't play any more, I still have fond memories of the game and I'm glad it's still doing well. Concept art looks really nice, but damn, in game is sooo empty. Hopefully they get some more props and stuff in that town.

GhaleonQ

I definitely will try it out. The game still resonates with me in a way nearly every online role-playing game can't.

Noaloha

Leveling in XI has never been easier than it is now. There's no challenge to it anymore.

Kinda. Though kinda not, in my case at least.

When I went back to the game last year, starting from scratch, I found the new levelling 'norm' to be too challenging for my mind to handle. By which I mean, I just couldn't stomach the FoV (or was it GoV?) book-grind from 15 to 50+ in Gusgen and Crawler's -- not coupled with the skilling up afterwards. The time and gear grind of party-exp that I recall from early FFXI is at one end of a tolerance spectrum. The exhausting brainlessness and just plain-old headache-inducing 'pure' grind of FoV/GoV exp was at the other end of that tolerance spectrum, where both extremes are pretty hard to stomach for different reasons.

Again, I reiterate that the above is a personal experience and others may see it as a godsend, but it left an awful taste in my mouth and led to me dropping the game again. Abyssea was in full swing at this point and the accounts in Linkshell that I was hearing about it did nothing to excite me either. The way FFXI is currently, I feel they may as well just let you create a character at 75 with a moderate skillpoint allocation and have all subjobs begin at 50 with zero skillpoints.

Of course, all that said, I look at this news - at the new zones and job and story - and yeah: you just know that I've already surreptiously checked that my installations discs are still at hand. Damn you game.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So right now my plan is to go back July 4th week and grind fuck ass hard.

Going to start on the GAF server, BUT here's my one main issue with going back to FFXI:

Is it still impossible to exist in this game without gil?

I would be going from scratch and I know the costs of useful gear was absurd during the days I played. If you didn't buy, then you wasted tons of hours to farm NM's for gear, or wasted tons of hours trying to make money/have a chance at money.

Basically, can I get from level 1 to say, 50 with most jobs without worrying about money anymore? Since I'll do Geomancer, I'm thinking of getting 50 with Ninja, BLM, WHM, RDM, SCH, and I don't know what else. I WANT to do Geo/Nin in parties, or even attempt to solo like that.

Ugh, just realized how expensive the Utsu scrolls are. FML. :/
Most good gear is rare/ex now. Still some good stuff to buy, but not much. Id get in today and just hit the npcs to start the voidwatcher questline. You need items to do it and they take a day to recharge. But they will accumulate on days you. Don't use them, so get a stash now.

Kokonoe

Banned
As a warning to anyone who's interested in playing FFXI for the first time, make sure you go on a server with someone you know that actually plays. If you aren't use to the style in which FFXI brings, you will be completely in a void and will have to claw your way out.

Now it's not anywhere near as bad as it use to be, but it's still strongly advised that you do so. I will be resubbing soon, so those on Asura I'll assist you if you need it. Unfortunately I've assisted at least 30 people into FFXI, and only one stayed.

In other news, that FFXI community thread needs a major revamp, or a new thread.

Top Bottom