• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 12 |OT| LOVE FOOTBALL, PLAY FOOTBALL

GorillaJu

fresquito said:
The problem with football games is that fans compare FIFA to PES and PES to FIFA. Why nobody compares football games to football? I mean... WTF is wrong with people? Anybody having seen football for longer than a week realises what you get to play in PES or FIFA is not football at all. It's is some kind of retarded abstraction of a sport where movement off the ball is the most important thing. But they only focus on movement on the ball. Besides, football, as real life, is well know for following the law that it's easier to defend than to attack. Instead you get games where defenders can't steal a damn ball. Everybody in these games is Iniesta. For God's Sake, Barcelona went behind Alexis Sánchez because only Iniesta and Messi could dribble for real. And we're talking one of the best, if not the best, teams in history. But not in football games. In football games everybody can dribble like Messi and Iniesta. And they all have the passing skill of Xavi too. It's nuts.

So, yeah, comparing PES to FIFA and FIFA to PES is moronic, since both are piles of shit that resemble nothing to what football is.
So, so true.

Played FIFA 12 a few hours the first day. Didn't really like it. Played a few hours that week and warmed up a little then went back again this past week and once again I'm completely soured.

I am going to continue working at it and try to get better because it seems like people who know how to play FIFA play a completely different game than what I do. And I dont play PES/W11 so I'm not comparing it to that game. FIFA, to me, is full of garbage play, attacking is too easy and defending is too difficult. Everyone is Messi and Messi is a god. Pace is by far the most important stat because you never miss passes anyway. Fullbacks dont play like fullbacks and I never want to cross anyway because it's a waste of precious possession where stringing together 8 passes and then tapping the O button is a guaranteed goal.

This is probably the least fun and least enjoyable game I've ever spent so many hours playing. I just can't throw it out - was expensive as fuck to get a US version in Japan - necessary to play FUT since it region checks your disc for that. Also I just cant give up the hope that somehow I'll discover the game that other people like so much.

Also, I know exactly what people talk about when they say it doesn't feel satisfying to score in FIFA. It feels like pressing O means "okay player, shoot the ball to the best of your ability." doesn't feel at all like I have to use my own skill to make a chance out of nothing.

I scored this goal in FIFA 11 and this is the only time I've ever felt like it was my skill that did it for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gshqi3QFe_M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just felt right. And stands as the only time that it ever has :p

JLG-

Joe said:
weird because I just played h2h and didn't download any patches, I was even able to use my gk....
I'm on PS3 and was prompted to download the patch as soon as it booted up. I was not able to switch to the goal keeper at all online.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
odd_morsel said:
So, so true.

Played FIFA 12 a few hours the first day. Didn't really like it. Played a few hours that week and warmed up a little then went back again this past week and once again I'm completely soured.

I am going to continue working at it and try to get better because it seems like people who know how to play FIFA play a completely different game than what I do. And I dont play PES/W11 so I'm not comparing it to that game. FIFA, to me, is full of garbage play, attacking is too easy and defending is too difficult. Everyone is Messi and Messi is a god. Pace is by far the most important stat because you never miss passes anyway. Fullbacks dont play like fullbacks and I never want to cross anyway because it's a waste of precious possession where stringing together 8 passes and then tapping the O button is a guaranteed goal.

This is probably the least fun and least enjoyable game I've ever spent so many hours playing. I just can't throw it out - was expensive as fuck to get a US version in Japan - necessary to play FUT since it region checks your disc for that. Also I just cant give up the hope that somehow I'll discover the game that other people like so much.

Also, I know exactly what people talk about when they say it doesn't feel satisfying to score in FIFA. It feels like pressing O means "okay player, shoot the ball to the best of your ability." doesn't feel at all like I have to use my own skill to make a chance out of nothing.

I scored this goal in FIFA 11 and this is the only time I've ever felt like it was my skill that did it for me:

I disagree to an extent, I see where you're coming from but I think you're being harsh.

First of all playing the AI on world class levels is ridiculous, they're insanely good as you say. Almost impossible to get the ball off it seems. That's not fun at all, reduce the difficulty if you don't like the challenge, its only there for people who want that kind of experience.

Playing online or in clubs is another matter.

In real football players CAN dribble extremely well. The only reason you don't see them dribble past players constantly is because a) it's risky and b) the opponents tend to know how to defend.

Which is true of FIFA. If you come across a team who knows how to defend, both as a unit and as individuals, it's gonna be impossible to dribble past anyone. You get the occasional breath through the same way you'll see Dempsey or anyone break away from someone to get a ball into the box or get a shot off etc. You don't need to be the best in the world to run with the ball.

In club mode at least movement off the ball is pretty important and I find it a pretty decent rendition of the sport. If I'm a striker I have to play the way a striker should play for example.

GorillaJu

kaizoku said:
I disagree to an extent, I see where you're coming from but I think you're being harsh.

First of all playing the AI on world class levels is ridiculous, they're insanely good as you say. Almost impossible to get the ball off it seems. That's not fun at all, reduce the difficulty if you don't like the challenge, its only there for people who want that kind of experience.

Playing online or in clubs is another matter.

In real football players CAN dribble extremely well. The only reason you don't see them dribble past players constantly is because a) it's risky and b) the opponents tend to know how to defend.

Which is true of FIFA. If you come across a team who knows how to defend, both as a unit and as individuals, it's gonna be impossible to dribble past anyone. You get the occasional breath through the same way you'll see Dempsey or anyone break away from someone to get a ball into the box or get a shot off etc. You don't need to be the best in the world to run with the ball.

In club mode at least movement off the ball is pretty important and I find it a pretty decent rendition of the sport. If I'm a striker I have to play the way a striker should play for example.
Thats a fair assessment re: realism and it's why I haven't given up hope

Menelaus

Banned
Patch news - Xbox should be getting it today.

First of all, thank you for your patience while we have worked on this, and thanks again to all those who have helped us out as we investigated the roots of some of the problems.

When will it arrive?

The patch is now live on PS3 in the EU and North America. The update will become available on Xbox 360 between 11am and 2pm GMT today (18 October).

Patches for PC and Mac have already been released. Find out more about those here: http://forum.ea.com/uk/posts/list/1069209.page

What’s in the update?

Goalkeeper control in online matches: We asked for your feedback and we got lots of it. After reviewing that and our own telemetry, we decided that enough people were abusing this feature online to negatively affect the experience of the majority. So we have decided to remove the ability to press Back/Select and play as the goalkeeper, allowing the CPU to defend, in all online matches. The function remains available in offline matches.

Fixed a situation that would see the user in an empty FUT Store without button functionality.

Fixed a FUT crash when using custom tactics.

Fixed a hard lock that would occur when applying a Manager Contract after purchasing a Bronze Premium Pack in FUT.

Fixed a situation that would see some users being disconnected from FUT after five seconds of connectivity.

We have optimized the FUT server to speed up transactions.

Fixed a situation where the game would hang when downloading a Game Face.

Fixed a situation that would allow an online team to be controlled by other player.

Once again thank you for your continued patience while waiting for this patch and for the ones we will be releasing in the future. While we know this patch may not contain everything you wish to be addressed, it is a good start. And with your continued support we will be addressing more issues as soon as we can.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Can somebody give me some defense tips besides those shown in the tutorial? I feel as if my oponents are always able to wrestle the ball away from me with a tackle (X), but I can never do the same. Also, my oponents anticipate better than me, and I always feel like I don't have control over my defense.

Hey Fifa-Gaf. I'm a bit lttp for Fifa12 but just looking for a quick answer really, what is this 'Ultimate Team' stuff? I've noticed it in previous years but it was always DLC which you had to pay for so I never did it. Am I right in thinking its now free as of this years edition? And what does it involve?

Menelaus

Banned
Bucket-o-roadkill said:
Hey Fifa-Gaf. I'm a bit lttp for Fifa12 but just looking for a quick answer really, what is this 'Ultimate Team' stuff? I've noticed it in previous years but it was always DLC which you had to pay for so I never did it. Am I right in thinking its now free as of this years edition? And what does it involve?
Card trading. Free until you want to actually have good players, then you have to go and buy packs of players (think packs of trading cards).

mokeyjoe

odd_morsel said:
So, so true.

Drop the difficulty, drop the speed and play on all manual controls. I did that 2 versions ago and never looked back. You'll suck at first but dropping the perfect cross straight on to someones head and nodding it into the corner of the net, knowing it's all your own work, is worth it IMO.

No it's not a perfect simulation, but it's closer than the arcade game assisted controls give you.

Menelaus said:
Card trading. Free until you want to actually have good players, then you have to go and buy packs of players (think packs of trading cards).

Not true. I haven't and won't need to pay a dime (of real money) for a player. The option of real money is only there as a shortcut for kids with parents who give them credit cards.

Here is H2H in a nutshell...Opponent, Ultra Defensive, two strikers up top. Get the ball to strikers as fast as you can, and try and run past opponent. success.

sneaky77

Awesome Animals said:
Here is H2H in a nutshell...Opponent, Ultra Defensive, two strikers up top. Get the ball to strikers as fast as you can, and try and run past opponent. success.
Yea I refuse to play that way. So far i been able to do alright I guess lol

You know what the worst part of this game is? If you get frustrated with H2H, you can't even go and just do Career Mode because the AI is so broken it literally breaks the game.

sneaky77 said:
Yea I refuse to play that way. So far i been able to do alright I guess lol

I was doing alright, still am I guess. But when I have ten shots, 8 on target v 2 shots, 1 on target, and the game ends in a draw...something is wrong.

sneaky77

Awesome Animals said:
You know what the worst part of this game is? If you get frustrated with H2H, you can't even go and just do Career Mode because the AI is so broken it literally breaks the game.

I was doing alright, still am I guess. But when I have ten shots, 8 on target v 2 shots, 1 on target, and the game ends in a draw...something is wrong.

yeah is too easy for people playing that style to create really clear chances, but welcome to the fully assisted world of EA sports, where skill doesnt necessarily matter.. just long and perfect lobbed thru balls.

GorillaJu

mokeyjoe said:
Drop the difficulty, drop the speed and play on all manual controls. I did that 2 versions ago and never looked back. You'll suck at first but dropping the perfect cross straight on to someones head and nodding it into the corner of the net, knowing it's all your own work, is worth it IMO.

No it's not a perfect simulation, but it's closer than the arcade game assisted controls give you.
Problem with this is that I play online 80% of the time.

Cutwolf said:
Reading the complaints about the AI, I'm glad I suck at this game and struggle to win regularly on Professional.
Seriously - I beat my friends consistently but I have never been online. I imagine I'd get ruined since I
1) enjoy playing Career mode
2) play on Semi-Pro
idunnolol.jpg

Joe

I know its a lame excuse but playing against barcelona just sucks the fun out of the game. Im not going to bother playing as 4.5 or 5 starteams anymore because half the time you just play barcelona.

sneaky77

This is where the game really gets frustrating for me, how can someone have 8 players in their box the whole game, pressuring me with two players all over the field, and somehow still have 4 or 5 players sprinting up the whole game in counters.. and yet, they never get tired.

assisted lobbed thru balls, custom tactics, custom formations, pressure and fatigue systems have been broken for 3 or 4 yrs now... yet still nothing gets fixed. I think is clear at this pt EA just doesnt give a shit

Lunchbox

Banned
Joe said:
I know its a lame excuse but playing against barcelona just sucks the fun out of the game. Im not going to bother playing as 4.5 or 5 starteams anymore because half the time you just play barcelona.
i played against barca with stoke, qpr, blackburn and fucking nott forest.

at div 4, every single game you will play is barca. if youre lucky you might get real madrid though!
fuck ea and their matchmaking

Joe

Lunchbox said:
i played against barca with stoke, qpr, blackburn and fucking nott forest.

at div 4, every single game you will play is barca. if youre lucky you might get real madrid though!
fuck ea and their matchmaking
So bad. You cant even count on ea to get shirt colors right so they dont look alike, the colors of the dots on the radar, or even the stupid weather so I guess matchmaking must be way over their heads.

When playing online the game seems like a mess, a total step backwards. At least playin against friends locally is still fun.

snoopen

If I get Barca or RM or an international team (Spain is popular) I quit before it begins.

Went down 3-2 in cup final, 2-2 until the 87th :(

Menelaus

Banned
Uayu3.png

What? I thought EA didn't share servers?! NO! HOW CAN THIS BEEEEEE?

Joe said:
So bad. You cant even count on ea to get shirt colors right so they dont look alike, the colors of the dots on the radar, or even the stupid weather so I guess matchmaking must be way over their heads.

When playing online the game seems like a mess, a total step backwards. At least playin against friends locally is still fun.

I can't believe they didn't fix that shit in the patch. It's something so fucking dumb that could easily be fixed, but EA just showing that they really don't care too much.

sneaky77

Joe said:

I have only played one game against Barca, but I guess if everyone in your division is using Barca, there is not much the matchmaking servers can do. For the most part I played Barca once, chelsea once and AC Milan a couple times. While using 4 star teams

Desaan

sneaky77 said:
I have only played one game against Barca, but I guess if everyone in your division is using Barca, there is not much the matchmaking servers can do. For the most part I played Barca once, chelsea once and AC Milan a couple times. While using 4 star teams

Incoming Rant

I've been put up against Spain as fucking STOKE, that's not even in the same stratosphere. International teams need to go, or put them against International v's International teams only. Anyway, how is a 5 star Spain/Italy/England/France/Germany/Holland even the same as a 5 star league team? Words fail me there.

I'm fed up of using 4/4.5 star teams just to play against Barca/Real/Man.City/Spain every game, the average FIFA player is a dick and the matchmaking blows.

Rant over.

sneaky77

Desaan said:
Incoming Rant

I've been put up against Spain as fucking STOKE, that's not even in the same stratosphere. International teams need to go, or put them against International v's International teams only. Anyway, how is a 5 star Spain/Italy/England/France/Germany/Holland even the same as a 5 star league team? Words fail me there.

I'm fed up of using 4/4.5 star teams just to play against Barca/Real/Man.City/Spain every game, the average FIFA player is a dick and the matchmaking blows.

Rant over.

I been complaining about club vs international since day 1 lol

Slizz

Won my first cup today, the Continental one. Everybody quits early in the Tourney setup compared to H2H seasons..... Still fun though, nice to be a 4* team and beat a 5* in the Final, especially after scoring 2 goals in 10 minutes and they rage quit.

So I got rid of FIFA 12 on 360 for much needed BF3 money as some of you know. I've not played the game in over a week or so. Played a bit of it on PC today, and whilst I was definitely worse for having not played it in a bit the game is still just a ridiculous piece of crap. It doesn't matter how many chances you give it. It never gets better. Overpowered AI, every random event and loose ball going in the AI's favour. Pish really.

GorillaJu

I am absolutely fuming. Somehow a Modrić card made it to the end of its auction life on UT having only gone up to 5,000 coins. I barely caught in its last 10 seconds, bid, and it refreshed as if I had bid but the server took a dump or something and right before 1 second it said I was outbid but didnt refresh back to 15 seconds so I could bid again.

I would have easily bid all 28,000 or so of my coins and who knows if the other guy had as much at the moment to compete because clearly there just wasn't anyone with their eye on it right then.

The result? Some helmet got Luka Modrić for 5,100 fucking coins (real value somewhere around 60k). I am livid.

mocoworm

EA details FIFA Vita controls, online

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-21-ea-details-fifa-vita-controls-online

FIFA Football on Vita properly bridges the gap between handheld and console sports sims for the first time, so says the game's associate producer.

EA's Matthew Prior told Eurogamer that the forthcoming Vita take on the best-selling footie franchise is an almost perfect reproduction of the home console version.

"It's built entirely on the next gen engine," he revealed at an EA showcase last week.
"There are certain features on FIFA 12 that we weren't able to include because we were porting it over and it's hard to port a moving target. It doesn't have the new physics engine but everything else is pretty much there.

"The device isn't as powerful as the PS3 so it's a testament to our guys that they've been able to get the engine onto this device. You'd have to be a super-afficionado of FIFA to notice the difference."

The one major addition EA has made with the Vita version is the inclusion of touch screen controls. You can tap anywhere on the system's screen to accurately direct a pass or thread a through-ball, or flick the rear touch-pad to shoot. Set-pieces can also be orchestrated via the touch screen, "kind of like Flick Kick Football on the iPhone".

"This opens it up to a new level of intelligent play," explained Prior. "Maybe in the past I could see a killer through-ball in FIFA but couldn't make that ball as I couldn't feather the controls right or get the power right. Now you can do it relatively straightforwardly."
Judging by our brief hands-on time with the game, directing passes around the field works rather well. However, the rear touch pad features are more problematic, with it proving all too easy to accidentally nudge the panel and send the ball flying mid-dribble.

Prior insisted that it gets easier to manage the more you play and added that raditionalists can switch off the touch controls all together should they choose to do so. "All these controls are supplementary to what's already there. If you want to play as you would on the PS3, all that control is there. We've not forced users to use the touch screen - it's just a feature we've used to enhance the experience and make it unique to the platform."

The online experience isn't quite as comprehensive as it is on home consoles, but EA has managed to get core one-on-one matchmaking up and running. "We've got full online so you can play against any other user in the world. We've got friend invites and so on and so forth," said Prior.

"We just want to make sure we've got the core, most popular features on there and allow users to play on a worldwide basis. Moving forward, FIFA 12's other modes are things we might try and bring in."

He went on to explain that it's always difficult getting online play set up on brand new hardware, and that EA would rather be conservative than over-reach and release a sub-standard product. "It's never easy to be first on any system. It presents a number of challenges, which is part of the reason we didn't reach for the moon straight away and have Ultimate Team and all the rest of it. You're setting yourself up to fail as there are so many unknowns." Prior argued that FIFA Vita could be a watershed moment for sports games on handheld systems.

"For me, I was never a big handheld gamer but this really bridges the gap between consoles and handheld. Previously if you'd compare the Xbox version to the DS game there was a huge drop in quality. Now the Vita brings that console experience into the palm of your hands. It has converted me."

FIFA Football is expected to be a Vita launch title in February.

sneaky77 said:
I had my first experience playing against Madrid lol.. what a joke.

edit: I won the EA cup.

I lost the EA Cup to Barcelona playing a 7-2-1, with Messi playing the lone ST. He had two shots on goal to my six, and he won 1-0.

I've been playing with more 4.5 Star teams because that means I play against the 5 Star teams more often, and have found the users who control those teams to be terrible. Napoli has been my team lately.

And to odd_morsel, I've had that happen to me a few times. It sucks :(

Top Bottom