• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 12 |OT| LOVE FOOTBALL, PLAY FOOTBALL

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
Quick question, can you use your virtual pro in the ultimate team mode? And if so, how do you transfer him to your team?

Quick answer, no. :)

In FIFA Ultimate Team 2009 (the first iteration) when you opened your first pack you got to make your 'Captain'. You were allowed to pump stats into him and mess with his name and hair and number and such. They got rid of that for FUT10 though.

Thrakier

Hey guys,

I got a problem with the PC demo. Besides running at 60FPS I get a constant micro stuttering as soon as there is fast scrolling involved. Really annoying. Played around with VSYNC on/off and that screensleep ini and D3D OVerrider but nothing helped. Any idea?

Great I just had an epic win and it said 'please sign into EA servers' at the end of the game, even though my internets fine and still connected. Awesome. FML

EDIT - its now saying I cant even load back into the ultimate team mode, and will be returned to the main menu. What the hell is wrong with this shit?

Kaka is now my arena player instead of my virtual pro. Lol Ea

I'm trying to get into UT but after every game I get disconnected from EA servers and don't get any coins and my win isn't recorded; anyone know how to fix this?

Real4Life

Neo Member
Playing this game against cpu is just plain dumb. It's broken as hell. Playing against WC or legendary almost feels like trial and error. When you step in to tackle for the ball they just turn around like it's nothing and leave you on the ground. When you choose not to step in, they make a few vertical passes and then their striker is one on one with your CB with your CB running backwards, because you don't want to step in. The result?! The striker shoots in the far corner...

Of course, this doesn't always happen. Truth is, if you are extremely patient and willing to wait for the right moment to strike then you're going to have a good time. But when you are a player who wants possession a lot, then it's just broken because you can't for the hell of it get that damn thing enough!

Online, this game is a blast though. Playing against others is where the strength of this game lies. I'm having a great time with the Head to Head games.

JLG-

How do you send league invites in this game?

My friend tried to join but he picked a team someone else already chose so it kicked him out and now it says he needs an invite to get back in.

edit: nvm

sneaky77

I just played a guy with the tag Captain Barca that was using R. Madrid.. lol he wasnt even aiming his passes somehow he still managed to score 2. All double pressure the whole time. And just pass it as fast as possible.. anyway I tied him and earned promotion to div 5

sneaky77 said:
I just played a guy with the tag Captain Barca that was using R. Madrid.. lol he wasnt even aiming his passes somehow he still managed to score 2. All double pressure the whole time. And just pass it as fast as possible.. anyway I tied him and earned promotion to div 5

What team were you? I'm finding that this game is unforgiving unless you play with a five or four and a half star team. When I play as Aston Villa, I get Santos, or Eto'o. And all they do is play the ball up top. At least when they do that and I'm playing as Manchester United it isn't a problem as much.

sneaky77

Awesome Animals said:
What team were you? I'm finding that this game is unforgiving unless you play with a five or four and a half star team. When I play as Aston Villa, I get Santos, or Eto'o. And all they do is play the ball up top. At least when they do that and I'm playing as Manchester United it isn't a problem as much.

I was Villareal yesterday, first time using them, you should try them. I use Athletic Bilbao, Benfica and Werder Bremen are my most used. I won the cup with Bayer Munich. I have played 0 games with any other 5 star team than Bayer lol

sneaky77 said:
I was Villareal yesterday, first time using them, you should try them. I use Athletic Bilbao, Benfica and Werder Bremen are my most used. I won the cup with Bayer Munich. I have played 0 games with any other 5 star team than Bayer lol

I've only played with Manchester United, and Napoli for 5 star and 4.5 star teams respectively. Otherwise, I play with Aston Villa, Benfica, Lille, Shalke, and Udinese. I'll definitely try Villareal when I can tear myself away from Battlefield 3.

sneaky77

Awesome Animals said:
I've only played with Manchester United, and Napoli for 5 star and 4.5 star teams respectively. Otherwise, I play with Aston Villa, Benfica, Lille, Shalke, and Udinese. I'll definitely try Villareal when I can tear myself away from Battlefield 3.

i think Benfica and Lille are both 4.5 stars aren't they?

sneaky77 said:
i think Benfica and Lille are both 4.5 stars aren't they?

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I've never played a five star team with either of them, so I assume that they aren't 4.5. Well, if that is the case my statement is ammended to be that the only five star team I've used is Manchester United.

iNvid02

2 games left, have 13 points and am in division 1 .

about 60 minutes into the match i get kicked out of the game to my desktop
it was the fucking windows reminder to restart after updates, so it gave me a loss.

fffuuu, got one game left. gotta draw or win to stay up

sneaky77

My start in Division 5 has been terrible, I better go on a good winning streak if I want to get to the 12 pts to avoid relegation.

Meier

Got royally fucked last night in my career mode. Had been nurturing a GK for nearly 2 years on my youth squad. I cut a bunch of the young scrubs that started on my team (guys who were 18, 19, 20 and still in the 50s) at the beginning of the season and the board wouldn't allow me to release anyone else. Get to the week of the Champion's League final, regular season already over.. guy says sign me or I'll terminate my contract. Can't release anyone else even though it's been 9 months since I received the message originally and it's outside the transfer window so sure enough, 5 days later he bolts.

Future 84-90 GK with a current rating of 67-71 at age 16. :( Since he's under 17, it appears he's just disappeared into the blue and will never exist in the game's world at this point. Pretty huge loss. :(

Keio

For a Finer World
Ultimate Team really got me hooked for a few days and managed to grab the Bronze Cup. But OMG the final is ridiculous: teams that make it that far seem to be pumped full of "+10 to all abilities" cards, that's the only way to explain the players running around like on amphetamine.

Lost the first one on penalties, then made it back to the final and this time got a 2-1 victory on 93rd minute... Their goalie was pumped as well, making it a nightmare to try and score (one header and one rebound at the end)...

But addictive as hell.

Khanage

iNvidious01 said:
2 games left, have 13 points and am in division 1 .

about 60 minutes into the match i get kicked out of the game to my desktop
it was the fucking windows reminder to restart after updates, so it gave me a loss.

fffuuu, got one game left. gotta draw or win to stay up

This has happened to me so many times! But I can't seem to pinpoint what is kicking me back to the desktop. Is there a way to make fifa 12 exempt from any prompt that causes this in Windows 7?

iNvidious01, what's your gamer tag on the PC? I'm in division 1 as well.
Mine is Path_of_Joe.

So Fifa 12 is $16 on Origin. I'm tempted to get it, but I know shit-all about Football/Soccer. As someone going in with essentially no knowledge to base my experience off of--keeping in mind that I know nothing about the players, which one of the FIVE HUNDRED teams I should choose, or what standard offensive and defensive formations are--will I actually enjoy the game, or will I just get lost and frustrated?

jlevel13

DyslexicAlucard said:
So Fifa 12 is $16 on Origin. I'm tempted to get it, but I know shit-all about Football/Soccer. As someone going in with essentially no knowledge to base my experience off of--keeping in mind that I know nothing about the players, which one of the FIVE HUNDRED teams I should choose, or what standard offensive and defensive formations are--will I actually enjoy the game, or will I just get lost and frustrated?

I don't know - it's not a super complicated game to play. At the most basic level, on offense, you pass the ball around to try to create opportunities to score, and on defense you try to get the ball away from the other team and keep them from getting in good positions. Teams are rated, so if you pick a 4 1/2 to 5 star team you are pretty much set. The default formations are usually good enough - you can always tinker if you desire. If you aren't a football fan and/or don't want to learn more about it, I think the fun you would get out of playing the game might be limited. It can also be frustrating - I don't think you will feel super lost after a few games, but frustrated, yes.

$16 is a great price though.

After playing this game for around a month I've come to the conclusion that its pretty poor I'm afraid. Hardly any movement off the ball mixed with stupid runs and dumb A.I = A fun game it does not make.

I'm not a trolling PES fan, thats been shit since 2005 too. Its a sad time for footy game fans :(

Meier

Btw, for anyone who is looking for a good signing in their career mode.. go snag Khouma Babacar. Dude was probably about the best non-superstar striker in Football Manager 11 (but oddly enough is not in the very standard worldwide pool in 12) so I snagged him in FIFA and he's up to a 78 in 2015 at age 21 or so. Not sure what his ceiling is in terms of rating, but he's an excellent prospect. Great heading ability and strength.

Manager

I was in Career mode checking my unsuccesful negotiations from last summer (now winter), and I saw some of the players have 0 years left on their contract. I happened to press "Make new offer" and it instantly went to contract offer screen to them. I then realized there's an actual bosman free transfer system in the game, very nice.

How can I list all these bosman cases, that have less than 6 months left on their contracts? In filter mode I only see "Free transfers", but that only include the ones thart have no club. PC version.

edit
Nevermind, seems like it just remembers last offer made and then go with that. So no bosman, too bad.

Menelaus

Banned
Patch out today.

What’s in the update?

Gameplay

Sometimes the game would get confused when a user called a second player to take a quick throw-in, where the game would consider the ball to have re-entered play. We’ve made sure this won’t happen anymore.

We have fixed an occasional problem where a user’s crossing setting would default to Manual and need to be reset.

Very rarely indeed, a physics error could cause a player’s leg positioning to become misaligned. You may have seen some videos of that around the time we brought out the demo for FIFA 12. As rare as it was (the vast majority of people will have never experienced it), it’s now fully extinct.

Career Mode

You can now select the weather conditions before entering a game.

Your chief executive’s salary suggestions when offering a youth player a senior contract will now remain consistent when exiting and re-entering the negotiation screens.

We have made sure that, after releasing a player from the Youth Squad, his salary returns to the Wage Budget.

When loaning in a player with an option to buy him at the end of the season, if that player caused you to reach the maximum squad size, you wouldn’t be able to buy him. Now you can.

It’s now no longer possible to sign a Youth Player with a wage greater than your available wage budget.

We have addressed a couple of rare situations where specific actions would cause controller buttons to become unresponsive.

When playing as a player in Career Mode, your manager will now be more inclined to sub off your player if he’s getting too tired.

We’ve made sure that commentary won’t fail to show up when playing League Cup games involving Manchester United.

We have fixed a situation where, given a certain set of circumstances when editing and saving player positions, you could see player names converted to numbers before experiencing a console hang.

We fixed an issue where it was possible for the user’s player’s team to enter a new season without a goalkeeper, or without the minimum number of players needed to play a match.

We have solved a problem that involved the player’s team recording a win despite forfeiting a league game because of an insufficient match-day squad.

Recently signed Youth Squad players who you’re attempting to sell on will now enter negotiations with an accurate, consistent ‘Current Wage’ displayed, meaning you’ll see them picked up much more easily by CPU teams.

If you and a friend entered a Career Mode game with two controllers, advanced beyond the Player Selection screen and then backed all the way out again, the game would hang. We got that fixed.

We have taken care of a bug that caused apparently random crashes in Career Mode, with players sometimes appearing with a zeroed cash value.

Physical attributes of players were growing a little unrealistically since they were tied to their overall growth potential. We have made a change that separates the growth of these attributes from others, resulting in much more steady progression.

You can now offer a new contract to players you have loaned out for the last year of their contract, before they run off and become free agents.

Loaned players weren’t always growing fast enough. We have tuned this to be more noticeable, making loaning players out much more rewarding.

More mid-week Career Mode games will now be played with night-time lighting conditions.

FIFA 12 Ultimate Team

Using an outdated "Take Me There" link on a Trade Feed notification in the FUT hub will no longer result in your coins not being returned if you lost the auction.

The Trade Feed notification in the FUT Hub for a newly acquired Goalkeeper Coach will no longer cause the game to hang.

Creating a new squad, then immediately deleting an old one before then applying an item to your new squad could result in a disconnection. Not now it won’t.

We have made sure that real-time information is displayed on active auctions. You’ll no longer find yourself unknowingly outbid while waiting for those auctions to count down.

We have isolated and eradicated a data-flow interruption that sometimes caused the game to crash while players were on the Match Setup screen before a FUT game.

You will now see your EAS FC XP increase – and your news feed update - after playing a single-player or play-a-friend game in FUT.

We have optimised the game to make sure the console won’t struggle, or even crash, when paging through a lot of FUT auction pages.

We have taken care of a crash that would occur if users entered FUT and downloaded the latest update after creating a Virtual Pro.

We have made a couple of separate enhancements to the FUT pack purchasing system to make sure sudden losses of internet connectivity (such as pulling the network cable) won’t result in console crashes.

We discovered that if you downloaded a roster update in FUT and, while still on the update confirmation screen, signed out from your Gamer Profile, the game would crash. Not many people would do that but, just in case they do, they’re now safe.

FIFA 12 Clubs

Changes that Clubs players make to camera settings during a Clubs game will now find those settings saved for subsequent games.

You will now be able to change your penalty kick taker via Team Management between the penalty kick being awarded and taken.

Clubs players’ accomplishments are now fully tracked in online matches.

We asked you, and you told us. Community feedback overwhelmingly suggests that the default AI in Clubs is too powerful, leading to clubs choosing not to field defenders in order to allow the AI to do their work for them. We have therefore dropped the AI difficulty level in Clubs from World Class to Professional, and have made some complimentary minor adjustments to AI goalkeepers.

My Live Season

Injured or suspended players will now be automatically moved to the reserves, not the subs bench. And there’ll be no more missing subs as a result in subsequent games.

EA SPORTS Football Club

We have made an optimisation that stops the game making too many calls for Support Your Club information on entering the EAS FC hub.

Every now and then, when coming back to the main menu from another area of the game, the Back/Select button to go to the EAS FC hub was not always displayed and functional. That won’t happen anymore.

We have taken care of a rare crash bug that cropped up when entering the EAS FC hub from the main menu.

We have enhanced the way the game loads the pre-match arena before an EAS FC Challenge.

All your Career Mode activity will now display correctly in the EAS FC news feed.

FIFA 12 Online

An occasional problem saw users repeatedly failing to match-up online due to mismatching squad files, despite re-downloading the online squad file. We’ve made sure that won’t bother anyone again.

A small number of people found their stats not tracking properly for Online Friendlies games. They are now.
Creation Centre

We have solved a problem that saw FIFA 12 crash when trying to download PNG images (e.g. a team crest) that were over the maximum file size.

Particularly keen Creation Centre users who bookmarked a lot of items to download into their game could find that they were not able to enter the Creation Centre gallery. Now they can.

We have fixed a rare problem where it was possible in specific circumstances to find your Creation Centre team hit the pitch with a man missing.

We have made sure that swapping and changing kit sponsor images on the web will no longer cause any problems on the console.

We have improved the way FIFA 12 handles large numbers of Creation Centre downloads to make sure there’s no slow-down in the performance of team-selection screens.

The game no longer struggles to retrieve Tournament Crest images in the Creation Centre gallery.

EA SPORTS Arena

We have enabled private sessions within the EA SPORTS Arena.

And some others...

We have turned on our in-game podcasts. If you want to listen in, you can access our regular five-minute chunks of audio news and information by turning the option on in the Game Settings > Audio menu. [English language only]

We have made some optimisations to make sure that people with lots of save files on their hard drives don’t suffer long load times or server disconnections.

[PC only] We have corrected a problem where, after scoring a goal, custom music would stop playing for around two minutes.

[PC only] We have added an option to the FIFA 12 launcher to disable some Windows settings, improving the framerate for people with lower-spec PCs.

Decado

I still can't figure out how to dribble effectively against the AI in this game. Not just beating the AI, but just creating some space for a cross. Even shitty defenders seem to have perfect positioning and stick to their lines all the time.

Any suggestions or guides I can look at?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Decado said:
I still can't figure out how to dribble effectively against the AI in this game. Not just beating the AI, but just creating some space for a cross. Even shitty defenders seem to have perfect positioning and stick to their lines all the time.

Any suggestions or guides I can look at?

Not really most people develop moves to beat humans because most stuff doesn't work against the computer.

Really it's just a matter of getting a feel for inadequate AI and bad balancing (which almost always exists for new moves) against the computer. Some of my tricks include:

using RS to flick to the ball into space when the computer moves in close.
using RT to shield then doing a scoop around defenders (hold LT and press B to X (fake shot) and hold the LS in the direction you want to go)
using the step over to exit move in face to face scenarios (hold LT and rotate RS forward from left to right then move LS in the direction you want to go)
using RT to shield then simply running direction the CPU isn't pressing on.
using RT to stop and turn quickly
using B to X (fake shot) for changing directions suddenly

My addiction to Ultimate Team has subsided now. I went through the full gamut, starting with bronze teams, moving to cheap gold teams (=<1k per player), then to pace abuse gold teams (still ~1.5k coins per player), then silver teams, then specialist gold teams (recreate ManU minus expensive players etc).

I think I will only play offline Career and Pro mode now. It's enjoyable if your sign your Pro to one of the top teams like Barca or Madrid. That way, your own team is atleast a little capable when playing segunda division teams that defend like AC Milan with 66 rated defenders. And it feels good to get a pass from Xabi Alonso or Xavi and convert.

I don't think I can play with more dbags online, so H2H is dead to me. I've had my fill of 7-0-3 counter-attacking LB+Y teams in Ultimate Team already.

epik

As if they changed the AI for pro clubs from world class to professional ....

LAME ...... In fact they should make it even harder -- the cpu is so boneheaded sometimes.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
epik said:
As if they changed the AI for pro clubs from world class to professional ....

LAME ...... In fact they should make it even harder -- the cpu is so boneheaded sometimes.

The amount of whining has been obscene: wah wah AI is too hard and lets 2 human players win matches without an ANY!

Whereas if you're a good ANY or good team you should be able to win. If teams stopped abusin ANY they'll remember that it's all still equal.

But now the AI is even worse than the last game! Unbelievable decision. I think my team is gonna quit now after playing the last one right until the last day.

Ps in ultimate team if I delete club can someone explain in detail what happens? Do I lose all the packs I paid for or what?

Amneisac

We logged in and played one game after not playing for a few weeks. We immediately noticed the AI was fucked so we Googled patch notes. We played a few more games and all decided we were trading it in. They completely ruined it. Online clubs are worse than FIFA 11 now. They absolutely ruined what was a fun game.

sneaky77

I agree lowering the AI is a dumb easy move, instead of actually fixing the main issue which is the absurd rubber banding by defense players

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
sneaky77 said:
I agree lowering the AI is a dumb easy move, instead of actually fixing the main issue which is the absurd rubber banding by defense players

I agree that it was sometimes ridiculously hard when they telepathically read your every move before the game lets you react but surely a happy medium could've been achieved? They have sliders for everything ffs.

Can anyone answer my ultimate team question btw?

Le-mo

I've been playing this a lot lately and the one thing that frustrates me the most is when I pass the ball to a receiving player he just stands there to wait for the ball instead of running towards it and thus allowing the opposition to intercept it. Lobbing the ball can be a hassle sometimes because one tap of the X button can send the ball flying across the field while other times holding the X button for more power will lob the ball only a few yards out. Lastly, I don't know if anyone else have this problem but I have passing set to manual and when I aim the joystick to pass the ball to a specific player more than likely it goes towards someone else, either the opposing player or another player on my team.

Tf53

Hey guys, it's been a while. Div 3, btw. ;)

I totally have a love/hate relationship with the game. At times the AI is incredibly stupid, but when something clicks, the flow is amazing.

Do you think next-gen consoles will be powerful enough to handle sports game menus without lagging like a mofo?

I probably can't do a league this year, but I'm up for some quick tournaments, if anyone wants to organize one.

sneaky77

Tf53 said:
Hey guys, it's been a while. Div 3, btw. ;)

I totally have a love/hate relationship with the game. At times the AI is incredibly stupid, but when something clicks, the flow is amazing

That's pretty much my take with it. Although I haven't played in a while, we are discussing maybe doing a Eurocup Style Tourney, since it seems the league totally fizzled out after a couple weeks.

Decado

Does anyone here find long passing useful? In these games I always go to the effort to acquire players with high Long Pass stats, but rarely use it. I just find that the AI doesn't get open like they do in real life. I'm more referring to things like long diagonal balls (ala Lampard @ Chelsea) rather than just hoofing it up the field for a flick-on.

Also, is there a way to start career mode with a weaker team then get an "investor" so you can have a great budget to build your dream team? The reason I ask is that I noticed a "news item" during a season saying something about a big investor being interested in a team. Not sure what happened, though.

hlhbk

I bought the PC version and love it. I am trying to purchase the live season DLC, and it just sits there after I try to check out. Anyone else seeing this?

Top Bottom